Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

AC80

New in Town
Hat 3-Colombo-can’t make out anything on the tag. 1950s? Beautiful soft felt

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

Any advice on how to get rid of the crease/dented felt on the Colombo?

Did the blue size tags predate the red ones?

Thanks for the info and help!
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_6959.jpg
    IMG_6959.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 50

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
You can shape the crown as you want with the Borsalino "Bogart" as for the 90 % of the same brand production

I don't think so, but every opinion is fair
My suggestion is to look at the vintage and used market. For sure you will find the right Borsalino for you
I’m not sure where to go for it except eBay.

Any classic hat dealers in the net?

Maybe someone will part one to me. Compensation of course.

Hat 3-Colombo-can’t make out anything on the tag. 1950s? Beautiful soft felt

View attachment 553873
View attachment 553874
View attachment 553875
View attachment 553886
View attachment 553887

Any advice on how to get rid of the crease/dented felt on the Colombo?

Did the blue size tags predate the red ones?

Thanks for the info and help!
Adam
That's is a great score with those three hats. Two beautiful homburgs in desirable colours. The second one is called "Lupo" (wolf) not Luro. The nera/nero refers to the colour os the ribbon. The homburgs are from the sixties (or even early seventies). The Colombo is a bit earlier: mid to late fifties.
Give them a brushing to clear off the dust. The creases in the felt can be easily taken out with some steam. If you don't have a steamer, just use a kettle; works just as well.

Borsalino Bacosan fedora in grey called Sebino (I think). First time we've seen this colour. Size 59 with the bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Fabulous hand to the thin and lightweight felt. The hat weighs only 89 grams. Borsalino at it's finest. The ribbon and bow are simple but elegant. From the M. Hutter collection.
This hat has also found a new home already.

borsalino sebino_01.jpg

borsalino sebino_02.jpg

borsalino sebino_03.jpg

borsalino sebino_04.jpg

borsalino sebino_06.jpg

borsalino sebino_07.jpg

borsalino sebino_08.jpg

borsalino sebino_09.jpg

borsalino sebino_10.jpg

borsalino sebino_11.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Just posting this because it's a dated example and the dating fits right in with our current model. This is not my hat and it can still be found on the bay, if you've got a measly $1322 to spare.

View attachment 555809 View attachment 555810 View attachment 555811 View attachment 555812 View attachment 555813 View attachment 555814 View attachment 555815 View attachment 555816 View attachment 555817

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2043779635...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050
Crazy price!

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
I found one guys as mentioned in another post that I’m desperately lookin for one.

The blue and white tag era. Hopefully the felt is as good as they say. The model isn’t what I really want but when you talked them down to under $80 and still like new then it’s a risk I will take.

If I don’t like it then my short collecting hobby will stop or I’m simply going to go extra extra vintage.

Just posting this because it's a dated example and the dating fits right in with our current model. This is not my hat and it can still be found on the bay, if you've got a measly $1322 to spare.

View attachment 555809 View attachment 555810 View attachment 555811 View attachment 555812 View attachment 555813 View attachment 555814 View attachment 555815 View attachment 555816 View attachment 555817

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2043779635...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050
Yes, Export Qualität + Echter Borsalino fits into this time period. Later just Export Qualität, earlier just Echter Borsalino.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars

Offer 1k and they will probably accept.

I’m not rich but but my buddy got a custom non-fedora custom hat, straight brim pork pie for 1.2k so an original Borsalino from an estate is well worth it to me because it comes with history and prestige.

I’ve put a cap of $500 as my max I would spend but may up it just because of the high prices for a Borsalino.

I want the Bogart and it looks like it is the closest thing to vintage currently. Maybe como, aless or film?

I mean eventually you will forget the price. I have a lighter collection and each one is the price of that hat. I’ve long forgotten the price. I’ve dropped them lighting cigars a few times. A hat? At least you won’t lose it. Lol

The only thing that would bother me is wearing it. I don’t want something to survive decades in this world to have me use and destroy it. I don’t want to be that guy.

Don’t get me started on fountain pens.

Last edited:

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
I did it and I’m excited to say I’m a Borsalino owner. Found one of those San Remo Quality Superior with the blue and white tag. I don’t know the age but it has a 1.75 brim and no taper. I hate the taper. It arrived today.

First thoughts, the felt is nothing I have felt before in my short time collecting. It the first hat I didn’t have to steam. It shapes on the dry and very soft. It’s not as thick as my Stetson but feels more refine.

I actually think this hat looks the best on me. I’m still a bit self conscious to this world of hat wearing (anything not a baseball cap) but not with this one.

Right out of the box with a quick pinch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a good score on a great hat. Some here are really into the stingy brims and some people really make those short brims rock! Welcome to the club...and be sure to post a few head shots.

I did it and I’m excited to say I’m a Borsalino owner. Found one of those San Remo Quality Superior with the blue and white tag. I don’t know the age but it has a 1.75 brim and no taper. I hate the taper. It arrived today.

First thoughts, the felt is nothing I have felt before in my short time collecting. It the first hat I didn’t have to steam. It shapes on the dry and very soft. It’s not as thick as my Stetson but feels more refine.

I actually think this hat looks the best on me. I’m still a bit self conscious to this world of hat wearing (anything not a baseball cap) but not with this one.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
I must be going crazy because I'm already looking for the next one. LOL

I am afraid to buy brand new as I heard they no longer make their own felt and they buy hat bodies now. Any truth to this?

My experience with new Borsalinso hats has not been good. In my opinion, while the felt is still nice, the build quality is not great. Perusing a stack of them in a hat store revealed many examples of shoddy workmanship and obvious gaps in quality control. If you buy in person you can avoid buying a poor one but if you buy online you takes your chances. They are overpriced in my opinion for the quality you get. You are paying a large premium for that little 'Borsalino' pin set in the ribbon.

I am afraid to buy brand new as I heard they no longer make their own felt and they buy hat bodies now. Any truth to this?

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
My experience with new Borsalinso hats has not been good. In my opinion, while the felt is still nice, the build quality is not great. Perusing a stack of them in a hat store revealed many examples of shoddy workmanship and obvious gaps in quality control. If you buy in person you can avoid buying a poor one but if you buy online you takes your chances. They are overpriced in my opinion for the quality you get. You are paying a large premium for that little 'Borsalino' pin set in the ribbon.
Thank you for your expertise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff