Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
John,

The reorder tag is one that was used in the '40s and '50s, but it was the liner crest that dated it.

The "Cavanagh Edge" script on the front of the sweatband is a '60s feature, possibly showing up in the late-'50s.

Sweatband initials were done by the store.

Brad

Baby Cav

An odd Cavanagh... perhaps a lady's style with the ribbon on the man's side? The seller did an interesting job creasing and displaying this hat but it received very little interest... perhaps due to his measurement of 21 1/4" circumference? It turns out to be a 7, but with a 4" domed crown, I can't image how to wear it with a dent and crease? The felt is wonderful and very light... the hat weighs 1.8 ounces. Grosgrain sweatband, impeccable Cavanagh construction.

babycav5.jpg

babycav4.jpg

babycav6.jpg

babycav7.jpg

babycav8.jpg

babycav9.jpg

babycav2.jpg

might have Donna's name written all over it!

babycav1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating specimen, Alan. I don't think it's a woman's hat, but more likely a casual travel/packable hat. I haven't run across this model before, though, so it really could be anything.

Brad

HatsEnough

Banned
I've been trying to join the Cavanagh club but just can't seem to ever come across any model that has larger than a 2-1/4 brim!! And the one time I saw one, I plum fergot about the auction and it passed me by!

Dr. Tom

New in Town
Quick question for you Cavanagh owners. Just bought a Cavanagh 35 on ebay. It has a black sweat band inside (as opposed to a brown one). Does this in any way date the hat? Thanks for your replies.

Making it, “Non Vintage” and worth much less than the $150 I paid for it?

Cavanagh hats from this era often have narrower brims than FLers prefer and hence can often be bought at reasonable auction prices. That aside, your win looks like a lovely hat 45-50 years old. Cavanagh felt and construction was top notch. You won't find anything nearly as nice in a contemporary fedora at that price. Wear it and enjoy it!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
What do you make of this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170685509470&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1180

Seller claims that the hat was bought by his great granddad in 1922 and cost 22.50 back then (seems pretty expensive to me). Funny thing is I e-mailed him saying that the liner looks like a recent Cavanagh and that to my knowledge there weren't any Cavanaghs in 1922. He said he has a receipt to prove it (and told me to get a life). By now he has changed the auction description to 1927. Looks like a fraud, doesn't it?

Since Cavanaghs tend to not change very much, with some '60s Cavanaghs looking nearly identical to '30s, the best way is from the interior. Sweatbands offer clues, with taped seams until '40/'41, sewn after that. Also, if it says "Cavanagh Edge" at the front of the sweatband, it's late-'50s onward. Interior tags also tell a lot, but the liner crest and address tell you what decade.

The divisions break down like this:
1928 to 1936
1936 to 1950
1950 to 1961
1961 to the present

Earliest version, 1928 to 1936:
Address1.jpg

Address1b.jpg

1936 to 1950, approximately.
Address2.jpg

Hat Corporation of America formally made the change from "John Cavanagh, Ltd." to "Cavanagh Hats" on February 28, 1950, when the U.S. Patent Office approved their registration amendment. I don't know the lag time between filing and approval, as I haven't yet found the filing date for the amendment.
This change starts appearing by the late-1940s, so Hat Corp. didn't file immediately. But it's official in 1950.

1950 to 1961
Address3.jpg

This example is from 1952:
Cavanaghliner1952.jpg

The final change was officially amended February 7, 1961 by the U.S. Patent Office, but again, this seems to start showing up by the late-1950s.

1961 to the present
Address4.jpg

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
What do you make of this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170685509470&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1180

Seller claims that the hat was bought by his great granddad in 1922 and cost 22.50 back then (seems pretty expensive to me). Funny thing is I e-mailed him saying that the liner looks like a recent Cavanagh and that to my knowledge there weren't any Cavanaghs in 1922. He said he has a receipt to prove it (and told me to get a life). By now he has changed the auction description to 1927. Looks like a fraud, doesn't it?

May not be purposeful fraud, but he is off by 40+ years or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael