Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Century Ballroom in Seattle needs your help!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
The Century Ballroom in Seattle, Washington is located in the old Oddfellows Hall. The building has been around since 1908. It is beautiful.

theater-magnum-500_zpsae07467d.jpg

Sixteen years ago the Century Ballroom was opened as a dance venue, and is one of the finest places to go dancing I know. The floor is an old floor, and there's nothing that can compare. The atmosphere... well, you can feel that it is old. Solid. Well loved. Thousands and thousands of people have danced on that very floor. All different types of dance. Swing, waltz, tango, salsa, kizomba, tap. You name the dance, it's probably been danced on that floor. The Century has this magical quality of uniting people, regardless of their background. They're united in their love of dance.

CBGallery8_zps5adcf401.jpg

It is the dancing, however that has caused a problem.

The State of Washington has reinterpreted an obscure law, applied it to a few venues in Seattle, and now the Century is faced with a huge bill for back taxes to the State for the "opportunity to dance". This tax is on top of business tax, admission tax, etc. that the Century is charging to satisfy State requirements. They were not notified of the reinterpretation of this law, so you can imagine how shocked the Century was when they received a bill for $250,000 from the State. They've tried negotiating with the State, but they still owe $92,000 - due in 3 months.

The owner of the Century, Hallie, has been doing all she can to try and raise the funds to pay this bill. The last thing she wants to do is have to raise the price of admission (double or triple) to be able to pay what is owed, so she's asking for help from the patrons of the Ballroom, from people who love old buildings, from people who love the vintage lifestyle (dance, clothing, music, preserving our history).

If you'd like to read more about the Century's need, please click here.

If you're not able to donate financially (which I understand - times are tough), would you consider spreading the word to your friends? The more people that know about this, the more that might be able to help save this wonderful venue.

On a personal note, I was introduced to the Century in 2000 when I started learning how to swing dance. I was amazed at how many people were there every time I went. (I even moved to the neighborhood a few years later so I could have a shorter drive to go to this wonderful venue.) I've seen amazing live music there. I've competed in competitions. I've taken classes from internationally known dancers. I've helped host lindy exchanges. I've met countless life-long friends there. I've hosted international dancers that have made the trek so they can say they've danced at the Century. My husband took lessons there with me. My daughter went to her first dances there with me when she was only a year old. I've celebrated birthdays, weddings, and deaths with dance in this room. This place is near and dear to my heart. It is like a second home to me. My greatest fear is that if the Century is forced to close their doors that the developer that bought the building a few years ago (and tripled the rent) will tear down this amazing ballroom and turn it into modern retail or living spaces. It would break my heart for that to happen.

Please help if you can. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner