Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cheese thread

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Emmental, Gruyere, Camembert, Parmesan! :)

Grilled cheese on very thin bread :D No tomato, no ham, no nothing... just cheese!

MMMMMMMMMM!!!!! :essen:
20080930-grilledcheese.jpg

bunny chan

Familiar Face
daizawaguy said:
Ever heard of a drunken Pecorino?
Drunken cheese are very popular in northern Italy: they mature under squized grapes and must!
I love these cheeses, and also all the types of cheese, actually!
I'm vegetarian and I have milk intolerance, but I can not give up cheese...never :rolleyes: !!!

B.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
bunny chan said:
Drunken cheese are very popular in northern Italy: they mature under squized grapes and must!
I love these cheeses, and also all the types of cheese, actually!
I'm vegetarian and I have milk intolerance, but I can not give up cheese...never :rolleyes: !!!

B.

Ah there we are...thanks. I do share your passion for cheeses...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Belletoile Triple Cream Brie

Either I ate a bad hunk (though it tasted great) or I'm coming down with the flu......:(

Brie.JPG

rumblefish

One Too Many
Bring Back Liederkranz

Anyone remember Liederkranz?
I couldn't remember the last time I had this and I got a hankering. So I head off to the cheese monger who tells me this story (in the two links below) and it's no longer made.:(

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/liederkranzcheese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liederkranz_cheese

So, I came home with Tilsiter and Limburger.
(tonight I'm making venison Schnitzel a la holstein with spaetzle so I want to keep with the German theme).

Every once in a while I make sour-dough onion rye. I slice and top it with Limburger, then scatter scallions or red onion over it and sprinkle with S&P.

Cheese and Clergy

As to cheese, there are so many I like and few I don't like. My Pastor and his wife are always on the look out for new cheeses that become available to some of the local shops they frequent and sevre cheese frequently as nibbley bits in the afternoon. I will usually bring some extra sharp cheddar from NY state, but will do others now and again.

My Pastor and his wife have also worked up a Stilton stuffed Buffalo burger for the BBQ that is astonishing. My mouth just watered.

dnjan

One Too Many
bburtner@moran said:
Oh boy,love that Velveeta...
I went to a wine and cheese party while in graduate school, in which the hosts provided the cheese and the guests each brought a bottle of wine. Different bottles were opened throughout the evening, and the hosts replenished the cheeses with different kinds as well.

One of the cheeses they brought out was cut up into little yellow cubes, and the name tag on the cheese was labeled "Bim".

There were many positive comments on the cheese, and it quickly disappeared.

Later that evening they confessed that Bim was really Velveeta.

Of course back then (on a student budget), Velveeta was a splurge!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Prima Donna

The taste, sweetness and texture of this cheese is fantastic! It has that sort of graininess to it like Parmesan Regiano has, yet is altogether so smooth. It's one of those cheeses we put out early, as company arrives, and I'm still cooking- and doesn't always make it to our guests.:eek: ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
For Christmas I gave my husband 3 months of cheese - every month a box of cheeses would arrive on the doorstep, mostly British artisan cheeses but some French and Italian as well. It was wonderful!

Generally, my favourites:
proper Cheddar - Montgomery, for example
Stilton
Gorgonzola piccante
Roquefort
Gloucester
Brie
Chevre
Pecorino

HepKitty

One Too Many
I love cheese... most cheese really but my favorites are drunken goat, proper emmethaler, st andre, gruyere, danish blue (yes I read the stilton posts and will have to try it), chevre, gorgonzola (in tomato soup of all things is really good), tillamook sharp white cheddar, brie, and parmesan. usually just slice the parm and coat it with fresh ground pepper... nummy! also some applewood smoked cheddar and whiskey cheddar were to die for but I don't remember the brand names. and something about a dragon I think, with mustard seeds, delish! 2 years ago got a $40 gift certificate for xmas from work and ended up spending $55 on just cheese... obsessed? oh I do believe. oh yeah, Butterkaese is pretty good too if I'm in the mood for something mild

anyone had any bad experiences with cheese? I know this will be a rare thing as cheese is just that wonderful, but one time I had a cold and couldn't smell anything and tried a Danish cheese called Esrom... and about threw up *yucky*

HepKitty

One Too Many
St.Ignatz said:
Cougar Cheddar from Washington State University. Oh baby.

YESSSS! I haven't had cougar gold in ages! I will have to have my dad bring me some when he comes to visit next time. it's horribly expensive, like $25ish for that round can that's really not as big as it seems

HepKitty

One Too Many
$ally said:
How about that free cheese the government was giving away in the 80s?

lol that was the best american cheese ever! I used to raid the fridge and cut fat slabs of it

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HepKitty said:
anyone had any bad experiences with cheese? I know this will be a rare thing as cheese is just that wonderful
A few years ago I hosted a charity event at my home where all of the food and beverage were donated by local merchants. In the aftermath over 30lbs of artisanal cheeses lay in my fridge. Well, I love cheese and the selection was fantastic so for the whole weekend it was nothing but cheese, cheese, cheese and more cheese. Seriously, I ate nothing but cheese, pounds and pounds of it. Fast forward around four or five days and, shall we say, I was a little backed up. I called my doc (who is a childhood friend) and after diagnosing the cause of the blockage he began laughing hysterically before saying that I was about to experience the male version of childbirth. Let's just say that I keep an eye on my cheese consumption these days......:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic