Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cockpit A-2 World War II Horsehide Jackets

John McDonald

New in Town
Hi

My name is John....this is my first post on the site.

I am getting a new Cockpit WWII jacket and would like to have anyone's opinion. Which shade of brown would be better.....light (russet) brown or mahogany (seal) brown. I also notice on the site, the mahogany has gussetts under the sleeves, which the russet lacks.

My hair color is light brown, but I like dark brown better than light brown. I just like the shade better.

Anyone's opinion would be welcome!!!!!

Thanks,

John

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Welcome here, friend. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your upcoming jacket. Dark brown looks easier to dress up/down and easier to pair outfits with for me but maybe because I don't know how to lol

John McDonald

New in Town
Yes I had thought the same, Jin. Easier for dressier occasions. I am an architect in San Jose, but need something that would look a little more professional....they say don't wear a bomber jacket on the job, but I am going to anyways....but yeah I probably will opt for the mahogany.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yes I had thought the same, Jin. Easier for dressier occasions. I am an architect in San Jose, but need something that would look a little more professional....they say don't wear a bomber jacket on the job, but I am going to anyways....but yeah I probably will opt for the mahogany.
Man, you are so close to Johnson Leathers in SF. I think maybe you should drive up 101 to see them if you want a bespoke fit

John McDonald

New in Town
Yeah I will check them out online.....actually right now looking at a Cockpit 40th Anniversary A-2....always save the most important decisions until the last minute....has actually served me quite well in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
JL (Johnson Leathers) don't have an updated website. They do have an Instagram account and that's better kept up to date. Visiting the store and touching the leather is the best thing to do.

I have a cockpit m65 coat and I quite like it. I rarely wear it because leather jacket is life but it's always nice to wear when I do.

John McDonald

New in Town
Yes, I have a Hammacher and Schlemmer M43 and it is nice. I don't wear it often....around the house and neighborhood mostly. I actually had a Real McCoy's A-2 around 20 years ago but sold it. It was very nice and I liked it....but I could never afford another Real McCoy's nor Buzz Rickson A-2 again.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I have a Hammacher and Schlemmer M43 and it is nice. I don't wear it often....around the house and neighborhood mostly. I actually had a Real McCoy's A-2 around 20 years ago but sold it. It was very nice and I liked it....but I could never afford another Real McCoy's nor Buzz Rickson A-2 again.

I know what you mean as I pretty much do the same thing with my leather jackets. They do have those older preowned one and maybe check the classifieds here. I see members sell their A2 here, it could be worth a try to leave a wanting to buy thread on the classifieds

John McDonald

New in Town
Thanks Jin,

I am getting the Cockpit A-2 WWII jacket in Mahogany. I like the Russett too, but will go for the one that just feels right.
I will be buying it in around a week and a half. Thanks for your input!!!!!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Jin,

I am getting the Cockpit A-2 WWII jacket in Mahogany. I like the Russett too, but will go for the one that just feels right.
I will be buying it in around a week and a half. Thanks for your input!!!!!

I realize that you don't want to drop Real McCoys money again- and totally understand that! I'd still pretty strongly recommend against the Cockpit jacket, especially at the price of the 40th Anniversary model, which is $700. It's not just a matter of the finishing being less exacting than the RMC; it's basically a different jacket altogether.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Aero Quartermasters Issue A-2s (which run $600), the JA Dubow A-2 (which runs $500), or FiveStar Leather ($200-$300, depending on options) which I recently bought as a gift and found to be every bit as well made as many of my much more expensive jackets (which include the Japanese repros). For your preferences, I'd recommend the seal Doniger A-2 among the FiveStar options. I was extremely impressed by it in hand.

John McDonald

New in Town
Hey thanks for the info...yeah, I liked the JA Dubow ones a lot. They looked authentic although I'm no expert. When I bought McCoy's A-2 long time ago, I think they were based in New Zealand, although I think they are now in Japan. I would opt for a JA Dubow, but their server isn't up for taking orders right now. I'll probably wind up getting the Cockpit. Exact authenticity isn't a big issue with me. Just something that looks comfortable. And the JA Dubow, I think are designed more for the 1940's American men's build...trimmer and not so tall. I am not overweight...maybe 10 pounds or so. But I need enough room as I have wider shoulders than most people. But thanks again for the info. Mucho appreciado!!!!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Cooper made a nice jacket some time ago as an official contract. Not a historical designed, but it is a true modern design at a nice price often in eBay.

John McDonald

New in Town
Thanks. I'll probably just leave the collar unfinished. I probably will be buying some nice men's sports blazers. There is a good site online called The Territory Ahead that I bought a tan corduroy for around $150 recently. And am going to be buying another blazer (kind of a herribone pattern) for $300 in a few weeks from The Territory Ahead. For leather I have my G-1 US Wings and also an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin which was around $900 or so. A British company. For right now, I have enough leather jackets and am focusing on some different types of outerwear.

John McDonald

New in Town
Sorry about that...collar was from a different post I made. The G-1 US Wings, the collar faded rapidly from seal brown to light brown with a greenish tint. But, I will still be getting the Cockpit A-2 WWII model....in seal brown.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry about that...collar was from a different post I made. The G-1 US Wings, the collar faded rapidly from seal brown to light brown with a greenish tint. But, I will still be getting the Cockpit A-2 WWII model....in seal brown.

Ah, the fade must look quite cool! Though I’m sure if you wanted you could have it replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto