Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The confidence for the hat

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
dorward said:
London weather at this time of year did it for me. Moving to a city where you use public transport to get anywhere instead of driving everywhere really does a good job of encouraging you to find something other then a Peugeot to protect your head from the rain and cold. :)

Could you post pictures of the Peugot. (If you don't want to show it on your head, that's ok!) :D

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
When feeling self-conscious in public, just remember that no one really cares about you...

Reminds me of one of my favorite old sayings:
"I spent the first thirty years of my life caring what other people thought about me; the next thirty years of my life not caring what other people thought about me and the last thirty years of my my life realizing that people never thought about me much at all."

dorward

New in Town
J.T.Marcus said:
Could you post pictures of the Peugot. (If you don't want to show it on your head, that's ok!) :D

:eusa_doh: Sadly I appear to lack photos of it, and since it is parked on the other side of London, getting some will be a little tricky until I go and retrieve it next week. Suffice it to say, that its old, beat up, and red.

Snazzy

New in Town
I haven't received my fedora yet, but I am anticipating those first wear jitters. I do find it easier to wear "different" stuff when I'm out with friends, so maybe not going solo the first few times will help. People you're comfortable with usually tend to make you feel more comfortable despite how many other people are around. I think that will be my strategy the first few times, until I get used to it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Snazzy said:
I haven't received my fedora yet, but I am anticipating those first wear jitters. I do find it easier to wear "different" stuff when I'm out with friends, so maybe not going solo the first few times will help. People you're comfortable with usually tend to make you feel more comfortable despite how many other people are around. I think that will be my strategy the first few times, until I get used to it.

Also try wearing it around the house for a few days. The one person that has to get use to the hat is yourself.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I react very badly to negative comments in general, and about my hats in particular, so I understand why someone would hesitate to wear a fedora in public anticpating scorn or derision. But since my real interest is in different kinds of hats, caps, whatever, I've found the zone of least mockery and personal enjoyment. Hunting caps in Michigan do not get weird looks or comments. Military hats of a certain type don't illicit many catcalls, and even the Campaign Hat with the 'fore and aft' crease seemed immune from chiding. An exception would be my M1907 US Army Winter hat which garnered remarks even here in this genteel gathering.
215353373_717586399_0-2.jpg

So in the face of striving to avoid slings and arrows since I was in kindergarten, and having lost that adolescent panache I had in high achool in a fedora and brown trenchcoat, these days a major taboo, I am not one who has reached that nirvanic state of cavalier disregard for "Hey,Indy" (which next year will echo in your ears, boys and girls, ad nauseum) I have found a place I am comfortable. Ad Astra Per Aspera

dean

Dr Doran

Well, we are seeing more fedora wearage at BERKELEY. I mean, the University of California, Berkeley campus. Where de rigueur wear for males is a disgusting pizza-stained blue hoodie, a baseball cap, long surfer shorts, and sandals, maybe with a tie-dye t-shirt underneath (gasp) and some cracked toenails and no shave to complement the picture. And for girls (one cannot use the word ladies lest one infect that word), sweatpants, flip flops, another hoodie, a wretched braided summer camp bracelet, a horrid backpack with a single round metal pin badge with the name of some "alternative" band to give them "edge." (At least to their credit many of them are highly attractive under this ensemble.)

I have, however, been seeing fedoras on many occasions this semester, which have necessitated slightly better clothing on the wearer: a sports jacket of some sort, with white t-shirt, some kind of slacks, and actual shoes. No suits, but a step up. Not even a dress shirt -- but, still, a move in a promising direction. When I see someone on campus in a DB, wingtips, a dress shirt, socks, a tie, a pocket square, and a fedora, student OR professor, who is not in a mirror, I will be astonied. But there is some progress.

My point is, if these people can wear a fedora, a slick cat like you should be just fine. Keep that chin up.

duggap

Banned
My experiences and reactions from people have been so wonderfully pleasant. For example, I have gone to the same post office at nine o'clock for many years. The same people are always there. Noone ever talked or spoke to me. But when I started wearing my hats again, people, including the ladies, speak all the time, they give me smiles and young ladies hold the door for me. Point is, I think people just basically like the looks of a man in a Fedora. So don't worry about your confidence, just put that bad boy on top of your head and enjoy the results. BTW, what do those strange words mean that you keep writing, Dean;)

kokopelli

One of the Regulars
For me as well

My experiences wearing my Stetson Cattleman have been pleasant as well, but it does draw attention. Our campus UTK is similar to the description above (Berkley), except no fedora's or western's at all. About 50% are lidless and those that do wear ball caps. Of those about 50% are back-draft. In thirty-one years on campus, I've never seen a fedora and the only time I've seen a western is in a mirror. It's a sad thing.. :D Ron

duggap said:
My experiences and reactions from people have been so wonderfully pleasant. For example, I have gone to the same post office at nine o'clock for many years. The same people are always there. Noone ever talked or spoke to me. But when I started wearing my hats again, people, including the ladies, speak all the time, they give me smiles and young ladies hold the door for me. Point is, I think people just basically like the looks of a man in a Fedora. So don't worry about your confidence, just put that bad boy on top of your head and enjoy the results. BTW, what do those strange words mean that you keep writing, Dean;)

deanglen

The Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera. Latin, of course, for "To The Stars Through Struggles". I was thinking of finding ones style through struggles to be at peace with it.

dean

Dr Doran

Mark from Plano said:
Reminds me of one of my favorite old sayings:
"I spent the first thirty years of my life caring what other people thought about me; the next thirty years of my life not caring what other people thought about me and the last thirty years of my my life realizing that people never thought about me much at all."

Reminds ME of a brilliant thing my old friend Joe Abeyta (the motorcycle racer) said once: "Don't assume malicious intentions when indifference is more likely the cause."

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Doran said:
When feeling self-conscious in public, just remember that no one really cares about you, and in response to this, cultivate a resigned, slightly irritable, annoyed demeanor and no one will dare to say anything to you (if that is what you are worried about). Look exhausted, and a bit angry. Do something that exhausts you first, like 100 pushups before leaving the house, so it won't be a put-on. Go out like that a few times and people will translate that as confidence. A few more times and you genuinely will not care and everyone will know and not mess with you.

I generally present a "dont screw with me" appearance anyway, so I never get any negative comments....not that I hear anyway...
Work3.jpg

I DO get plenty of "are you a Mennonite?" questions. Never been called "Indy" yet. I think the movies are just too far removed from todays public conscience...though that will change shortly. You all better be prepared...

When I do get comments on my hat, they're all positive, sometimes even somewhat informed. Usually cowboy hat wearers. ;)

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
I see part of the point is to stand out. When I walk around the 'hood bare headed I'm completing anonymous---not always a bad thing. When I wear a fedora, people remember me. It's easier to be a part of the community. If you plan on not tipping your server.....don't bring your hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael