Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The covert coat...

Edward

Bartender
Just on Saturday I happened to be in Oxford Street (ghastly experience...), and in the window of a gentlemen's outfitters saw a good looking covert. Unusually, though, it was grey herringbone with a black velvet collar. Very definitely a covert pattern, though. I'm tempted to see whether they sell them off cheap in January..... it's shorter than I'd normally go for (I prefer under the knee in an overcoat), but definitely long enough (just above the knee, I'd say) that it would work nicely with black tie. Cheap enough in a sale, I'm tempted - at least until found the right vintage db chesterfield....

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Are moleskin trousers made from the skin of moles?

Now that would be something...no, they are made of cotton fabric 'napped' to feel like velveteen - like stroking a mole. Trust me, I have stroked many moles...

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Thanks. I can particularly recommend the Mole Hole. Their stuff is expensive, but of very good quality IMO. In particular, their 'flap front' style with a matching waistcoat is a smart, practical half-suit.

Alan

Micawber said:
A peruse through some of the British field sports magazine will bring forth a plethora of companies that can supply moleskin, cords & tweeds but here are a few (as per my post on Ask Andy)..

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Just on Saturday I happened to be in Oxford Street (ghastly experience...), and in the window of a gentlemen's outfitters saw a good looking covert. Unusually, though, it was grey herringbone with a black velvet collar. Very definitely a covert pattern, though. I'm tempted to see whether they sell them off cheap in January..... it's shorter than I'd normally go for (I prefer under the knee in an overcoat), but definitely long enough (just above the knee, I'd say) that it would work nicely with black tie. Cheap enough in a sale, I'm tempted - at least until found the right vintage db chesterfield....

I actually have a Chocolate Brown Covert with a Velvet Collar. Its a lovely heavy herringbone weave.. must take some pictures and post them.. Its rather unusual... Cant take any today as it definitely go with my Plus Fours I'm wearing today!!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Edward,

Not wishing to let my usual standards of pedantry slip, I must point out that to be a 'covert coat' a coat should be made of covert cloth. The distinguishing features of such a coat (as I'm sure you know) are the fabric, the 'railway line' stitching at hem and cuff and the four pockets. The velvet collar is often taken to be an elaboration to show seniority in a Hunt.

Alan

Edward said:

Micawber

A-List Customer
volatile said:
Are moleskin trousers actually made from the skins of moles?

All carefully trapped so as not to damage the tiny pelts or specially bred in mole-farms then hand-stitched together by nimble fingered children in candlelit cottages out in the woods?

Er no. As Alan says it's a hard-wearing, warm cotton material with a furry nap often favoured by country folk (cue Archers theme).

Moleskin.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
Edward,

Not wishing to let my usual standards of pedantry slip, I must point out that to be a 'covert coat' a coat should be made of covert cloth. The distinguishing features of such a coat (as I'm sure you know) are the fabric, the 'railway line' stitching at hem and cuff and the four pockets. The velvet collar is often taken to be an elaboration to show seniority in a Hunt.

Alan

Covert coat sleeve showing fabric & tramlines

DSCF4888a.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Alan Eardley said:
Edward,

Alan

Oops, yes - I'd forgotten about the cloth, thanks for reminding me! It's possible that this was a covert design in a different cloth.... It certainly (in the window....) seemed to have all the correct details of a covert, including the extra stitching on the hems. Good looking coat....

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the classic Apparel Arts illustration of a covert, here sans velvet collar:

sbcovertcopy2fr.jpg

Here's one from Paul Stuart:

7400614.jpg

Here's mine, from J Peterman:

1774yx6.jpg

Sometimes I do open doors for people, but only as a matter of courtesy. So far no tips! [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy