Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The covert coat...

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Martinis at 8, please cut the provocations, here and in other threads.

K?

Could you please elaborate? I don't like the coat and think it belongs on a doorman. That's a provocation? It's an opinion. Or was it my reply to the semantics game initiated by others?

PM sent. Let's take this to the background.

M8

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Covert Coat

I Have several Covert Coats and for this time of year find them warm and stylish.. can be worn with a suit or indeed with a more casual look..
NOV18006.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
A covert coat is a working garment used by hunters, for a specific purpose and in a particular tradition. It's 'uniform'. To criticise a covert coat on fashion grounds is surely like criticising a boiler suit or combat jacket on fashion grounds. In the UK wearing one 'in town' implies that you have a background in 'the country set' which has a certain cache, deserved or otherwise. That is why a worn coat has more 'credibility'.

Alan

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Okay, doing some background research on this coat, and what appears evident from the postings, I see this is more of a UK thing, or perhaps a thing for those who may be Anglophiles that are resident in the US.

However, in the many trips I have made to London and Edinburgh, centers which I believe are regarded as cosmopolitan by UK standards, I have not seen this coat worn, though that is not to say that it is not worn. Perhaps it indeed belongs to the country squire set, fox hunters, the horsey set, etc.

I propose to you that if this coat is worn in the course of normal business or evening wear here in the US, that it will be viewed with some amusement, and hence one should be prepared to be asked to open hotel doors or cab doors, in jest, by one's colleagues. In general, the well-dressed man's clothing should not be a conversation piece, especially if the conversation borders on ridicule.

This is an opinion board. If we want to post opinions that all agree and compliment, or even complement each other, then we may not be giving a true picture of what readers expect and deserve in visiting a site like this. At least not with regards to when they step out into reality.

I find the coat an ostentatious overstatement of dress, and hence not worthy of the classic style that many readers here seek, which simply put is defined as understated elegance.

Cheers,

M8

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I thought they might be cords also! I need to get some moleskins.

Covert coats appear throughout the pages of first-decades Esquire and Apparel Arts. I also remember seeing the occasional example on visits to Washington DC.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Moleskins and Cords

There are some great companies here in England producing very traditional styled Moleskins and Cords.. Brace Buttons, button fly, fishtail rear and back buckled strap etc etc.. they look and feel really good.. Very nice heavyweight
Will take some piccies if anyone is interested

volatile

A-List Customer
Sir RBH said:
There are some great companies here in England producing very traditional styled Moleskins and Cords.. Brace Buttons, button fly, fishtail rear and back buckled strap etc etc.. they look and feel really good.. Very nice heavyweight
Will take some piccies if anyone is interested

Please do, and name the companies!

Micawber

A-List Customer
A peruse through some of the British field sports magazine will bring forth a plethora of companies that can supply moleskin, cords & tweeds but here are a few (as per my post on Ask Andy)..

John Norris stock moleskins including their own brand which I find at 25 quid a throw are ok for knocking around the shoot.

The Mole Hole are company who's stand can often be seen at country shows over here. Moleskin trousers at £76 pair.

Same applies to Ratcatcher Clothing who's moleskin trousers are £48 a pair.

Likewise Don Philpott & daughter who advertise Hoggs of Fife moleskins at £39.99

Brocklehursts of Bakewell £59.95

Pakeman, Catto & Carter

Cordings

...and many, many more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy