Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

TheRedHead

New in Town
Don't tell me the ending!

Really enjoying a Fitzgerald 'season' of reading for myself at the mo and hubby bought me a copy of this which I have just started. It came with two other shorts, 'The diamond as big as the Ritz' which I enjoyed and 'Bernice bobs her hair' which was great fun. I have also just finished reading the Great Gatsby, thought this was wonderful, and then watched Coppola's '74 film which seemed admirably true to the book, as much as a movie can be, considering the constraints. Want to finish button the book before watching the movie too, always rather doing it that way round.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I have not read Fitzgerald's short story so I don't quite know how long it is, but my immediate response was "On no, will this be one of those movies that just drags on too long? Can a short story be translated into an almost 3 hour long movie?" But I guess they changed the original story a whole lot. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. The trailer looks very, very promising and the costumes and sets are gorgeous.

Cate Blanchett looks very different, much more interesting than usual.

cate_blanchette.jpg

But what really excited me was seeing that Tilda Swinton is in it, I didn't know. I really think she and her incredible presence add a little something to the otherwise very excellent cast. Remember her in Orlando? *sigh*

TILDA_385_207657a.jpg

About the director: David Fincher isn't really that experienced, but Fight Club and Se7en were quite good movies. Panic Room, on the other hand, was really bad. I don't know, but the trailer makes The Curious Case of Benjamin Button look very beautiful and elegant.

Gary D.

New in Town
I saw a trailer for this film, thought it looked interesting, went on line and downloaded the short story. I think I read it in about fifteen minutes. F. Scott Fitzgerald doesn't explain how a woman can give birth to a fully grown old man. I'm wondering how the movie does it.

This sounded something like a science-fiction story I read decades ago (the author might have been inspired by Fitzgerald's story), in which the character is living backwards through time--and somehow adjusts for it. It's a strange thought, and with too much thinking about it, can give me a headache.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I dont know if anyone's mentioned this, but the screenplay is credited to Eric Roth...who also did Forrest Gump.
Theres a definite similarity in the feel of the film. An innocent physical shortcomings & making his way thru the world. The tragic lovestory. The fantastical humor.

There were times when the movie also reminded me of The Green Mile. The mystical beauty of lives that take on a mythical or biblical proportion.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I saw it today with my kids. An outstanding film. Long, but not self-indulgent. Beautifully done in every regard, with great performances by Pitt and Blanchett (and everyone else). Excellent costumes and production design, beautifully reflecting the different decades of the story. Very subtle use of digital effects to both age and youthen the lead actors throughout. Full of surprises, and frequently very moving.

For the first time in ages, I didn't come away from the theater with a litany of complaints. It's a great flick, an instant classic.

Adding re MrBern's comment: But I'm one of those people who HATED Forrest Gump, and I loved this film. There are some similarities, sure, but this is a much more mature and deeply felt story. Whether it's due to Robin Swicord (who also worked on the screenplay) or David Fincher, I'm not sure...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Forgive me, Im not clear on the distinctions, but IMDB lists Swicord as having worked on the "Screen Story", not the "Screenplay".
Is this an update of the "Story by " credit?

I had a writer friend who once explained to me that the number of revisions can force a script to go under scrutiny of the Union to deliberate on exactly who will get official credit for a movie even tho dozens of writers may have worked on it.

warbird

One Too Many
I read the book long ago. It truly is a queer tale. I must admit that it gave me, for the lack of a better word or phrase, the heebee jeebees, with a sense of melancholy at the end.

I think anyone interested in seeing the movie or having seen it, owes it to themselves to read the book. As has been said it is a quick read.

I think I will go into watching the movie with the attitude that it is something new. After seeing the previews I am certain I will be disappointed if I try and compare it to the book story.

This is one of those 'inspired by' movies more than a telling of the book. I am often disconcerted that what is often a kid, though not to so in this case, working for a production company thinks they can tell a story better than the great authors who wrote them. It's why they always ruin a Hemingway book when making a movie of it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
Forgive me, Im not clear on the distinctions, but IMDB lists Swicord as having worked on the "Screen Story", not the "Screenplay".
Is this an update of the "Story by " credit?

I had a writer friend who once explained to me that the number of revisions can force a script to go under scrutiny of the Union to deliberate on exactly who will get official credit for a movie even tho dozens of writers may have worked on it.

I think she worked on an earlier draft of the script, before the current production team came on board. This project was in development for a long time (something like fifteen years), with several waves of stars/directors attached. If her credit was retained, it probably means that a significant portion of her approach is still present in Eric Roth's final script.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
Rover & I caught the film at the Ziegfeld in NYC last nite.
thumbs up!
Strong charming performances. The movie is long but doesnt lag.
Yes, theres a lot of gorgeous CGI & makeup that totally sweeps you away into seeing the actors in various states of youthful splendor & physical decrepitude.
Director David Fincher does a great job of depicting the life of a man aging backwards & how it effects his loved ones. Brad Pitt's New Orleans accent never seems contrived. Its a lovely melodic flow to his voice that sets the pace for this epic.
I must say, as a bartender of this forum, that this is precisely the type of post I love to read. It's succinct, interesting, contains no spoilers, and gives an honest appraisal of the film.

Thanks for this contribution.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Think it's a visually beautiful film, and I can't place my finger on it, but there's something about it that left me feeling pretty neutral about the whole experience of seeing it.

Gary D.

New in Town
warbird said:
I read the book long ago. It truly is a queer tale. I must admit that it gave me, for the lack of a better word or phrase, the heebee jeebees, with a sense of melancholy at the end.

This is one of those 'inspired by' movies more than a telling of the book.

Believe me, this is no book. I'm a very slow reader and it took me between 15-30 minutes to read Fitzgerald's story. I googled Fitzgerald Benjamin Button and downloaded the story.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to give this a David Spade type review, but...

(to echo the above) This was a really great movie in 1994, when it was called Forest Gump. It's still good this time around, but it's all too familiar.

Without giving away anything, I'll simply state that each of these has a near equivalent in Button:

Jenny - this one is undeniably obvious
Lt. Dan - with exactly the same spiritual transformation
Momma - single, unconditionally loving
the floating feather - only in Button, it's really ridiculous
the main character's disability
the line "life is like a box of chocolates..."
chance changes taking the main character all over the world
shrimpin' as an unexpected source of money
the focus on the South
the theme of "there's no place like home"

Nearly the entire movie is presented in voice-over in a Shawshank redemption style, though Pitt's voice is no match for Freeman's.

The greatest difference between Gump and Button is editing. Gump clocks in at 2 hrs 22 mins and, while long, holds my interest and feels complete. At 2:47, Button could have been better edited, as the first hour seemed to drag.

The highlight of Button, for me, was Cate Blanchett's performance. Along with Kate Winslet, I consider Blanchett to be among the very best in Hollywood.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I liked it. It's exactly the sort of thing you'd want to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon with a hangover.

Some have said it's too far-fetched. My instinctive reply to such critiques of fictions is... well, need I state the obvious?

Great leather jackets throughout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats