Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Daisy Mae work hat, denim to HBT 1941 - did the pattern change?

Edward

Bartender
Many years ago, I had several Nam-style boonie hats that I wore a lot in Summer. Those went by the wayside eventually, but earlier this year I decided to experiment with their predecessor, the Daisy Mae. Picked up a denim Bronson one online, and found it a great, practical hat for dress down days when I wanted something that was as throw around, don't worry as a cap, but required a brim. I'm now keeping half an eye out for other colours, which has raised a question....

Looking at the repros of the HBT olive green version that came in in 1941, though, the shape seems to rather change to a narrower brim that points downwards all round rather than the flatter, wider brim of the denim. Is this just an optical illusion, or did the pattern indeed change with the colour when the US army issued the new, green work uniforms? I very much like the shape of my denim version, but what seems to be in photos the changed shape of the green does *not* appeal.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Edward, do you mean this type of hat?
Daisy-Mae.jpg
There's a new thread in the hat forum: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-but-struggle-to-in-public.111842/ Searching for a hat that I once had but returned, like this, so as to comment on said thread, with photos.
burberry.png
I remember seeing that denim hat. My memory is pathetic as I get older, but I seem to remember something about The Real McCoy and I'm sure it was on E-Bay, there again I'm sure about many things but the brain doesn't compute the way it once did.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, do you mean this type of hat?
View attachment 541166
There's a new thread in the hat forum: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-but-struggle-to-in-public.111842/ Searching for a hat that I once had but returned, like this, so as to comment on said thread, with photos.
View attachment 541167
I remember seeing that denim hat. My memory is pathetic as I get older, but I seem to remember something about The Real McCoy and I'm sure it was on E-Bay, there again I'm sure about many things but the brain doesn't compute the way it once did.

Yeah, the big Japanese repro companies all do a version, as wellas many others. Start at about £15 for the very cheapest on the market, and go up to about £100 (not a typo!) for the big Japanese labels!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner