Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Declining Popularity of the Necktie

It's funny, I agree completely about the peer pressure thing. I have talked to so many people over the years who admire my clothes and say that they themselves would like to wear a suit and tie and hat all the time. I always ask 'well, why don't you?' and it's always because others would look at them funny because of it.

Edward

Bartender
We have that in Britain...the most numerous one goes under the name of "The Old Etonians", and according to some they're grip is such that some of their members are the ones actually running our country
;)[/QUO

lol I think, from memory, the current cabinet boasts no fewer than eight old Etonians.... not to mention at least one Buller Boy..... ;)

Big_e

Practically Family
I usually will only wear jeans and polo shirt if I'm doing yardwork or snowed in. After 23 years of still wearing a uniform to work, I like to dress nice on my days off. I like to put on a nicely pressed pair of slacks, freshly ironed botton-down shirt and polished shoes. If I step out, even to go for a loaf of bread, I'll put on a tie, hat and a sportcoat.
Ernest

redtag

Banned
I don't see the problem about wearing a tie. I, for one, adore my collection of ties in my closet. People probably think that wearing one makes them look old and unfashionable. However, one can actually pull off a unique style by putting on a well-designed necktie.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
We have that in Britain...the most numerous one goes under the name of "The Old Etonians", and according to some they're grip is such that some of their members are the ones actually running our country
;)[/QUO

lol I think, from memory, the current cabinet boasts no fewer than eight old Etonians.... not to mention at least one Buller Boy..... ;)

Sorry, excuse my ignorance, but which school woudl a Buller boy gone to? rgds.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Sorry, excuse my ignorance, but which school woudl a Buller boy gone to? rgds.

They are members of a private dining club at Oxford University known for their hell-raising and general oafishness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

This group photograph contains our current Prime Minister and the Mayor of London. I say this with no pride...

cameron-bullingdon-club.jpg

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
When I was at University, one of my friends always wore a tie, but with no sports coat or blazer. I had worn a school uniform, grey pants, tie and blazer for 11 years in a row and wanted a break and so did not ever wear a tie to school. My friend was always receiving compliments on the way he dressed even though it was really just the tie. Needless to say it did not take me long to change my mind and put the tie back on. I don't mean I wore a suit, just nice pants, shirt and a tie. I realised how I was so used to it that it was not in any way uncomfortable. Even in my daily work, I wear a full suit with full comfort. It really makes a difference in how you are treated AND how you feel.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
And I loathe the look of a sports jacket, blazer or (worst of all) suit worn with an open-necked shirt instead of a tie.

The way it's done today, usually with the shirt collars sticking straight up like the wings of a fatigued pelican, also irritates me. However, going tie-less with a blazer/sport coat was not too uncommon during the Golden Age, but it generally called for the collars to ride the lapels. Done that way, it can actually look good.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Bolo Ties

I will admit to being part of the decline in the use of ties! Out here in the west we don't wear them much, and I do have a nice selection between my own, and the ones I inherited from my father. Do Bolo ties count? The last four funerals I went to I wore blue jeans and a tee shirt! Now before you all have strokes, they were members of our motorcycle club, so we wore our club tee shirts. The widows were all most appreciative, saying how much their husbands looked forward to the first Saturday of the month! Generally for a regular funeral I would wear a suit and tie or Bolo, depending on who we were honoring. The joke in the club on our age is," the average age of our club members is Dead!"

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My aerospace company mandates that management wear sport coats without ties. Personally, I think that makes them look like they just left happy hour.

Later

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hi

My aerospace company mandates that management wear sport coats without ties. Personally, I think that makes them look like they just left happy hour.

Later

That's interesting, and pretty disappointing at the same time. Frankly, what's the point of not allowing ties? The rules should have been that ties are optional, really. Not that too many people would have shown up wearing 'em anyway, due to it's unpopularity. My problem with a rule like this, is that it leaves little room for expressing yourself wearing ties. There are types out there that like them, sure. But banning ties seems to me just as conformist as a company that only mandates ties to be worn.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Knowing that this site celebrates diversity, I might just add that I think suits and sport coats look better without a tie. And in fact, the way most men wear ties today and the awful fabrics and patterns you see only makes them look even worse. Just saying that becasue I know the views here on this issue are generally against me and it's good to have a different vewpoint. Subjective as this stuff is, not all vintage enthusiasts are into that funny dangling bit of fabric.. l

Mr Vim

One Too Many
but it generally called for the collars to ride the lapels. Done that way, it can actually look good.

That was nicely put. I myself enjoy the occasional tie-less outing with nothing but a sportcoat to keep me company, but usually I stick with the button down collars on the shirts, sort of as a balance to the lack of tie.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I wear ties to school at least 3-4 times a week not because it's madatory, but because I want to. I think its a shame that the tie is going on the wayside and becoming a symbol of being uptight and whatnot. I wear vintage ties exclusively and would honestly buy more, and think people would buy more if they had more playful or unique designs as they did back in the golden era, rather than just the usual bland or outrageously expensive stripes, weaves and novelty patterns that I've seen so often today.

Hal

Practically Family
...going tie-less with a blazer/sport coat was not too uncommon during the Golden Age, but it generally called for the collars to ride the lapels. Done that way, it can actually look good.
Sorry, but I'm unconvinced; in any case, the period I look to is not the Golden Age (heresy on FL, no doubt!) but the latter half of the 1950s. The open-necked shirt with a jacket was certainly around in the UK in the post-WW2period, but very much frowned on from about 1955 until the early 1970s; I didn't like it then, and don't like it now, I'm afraid.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As a young apprentice in a bookshop I was forced to wear dark tie and white shirt every day for three years. Couldn't wait to get away from it!
Was called up to do my military service. Tie again! After that I went into advertising - and never looked back at my ties.
Except once (some twenty years ago) - when I had to do a very important presentation at the head-office of one of Denmark's biggest - and most conservative - firms. In order to make a good impression, I wore my only suite and a tie.
The client took me aside after the presentation and said: "Soren, don't ever dress like that again - you loose all you creative impact".
He was dressed in a three piece suite himself. As was everybody else at the head-office.
Since that day I believe, I have only worn a tie at funerals and some five, six other occasions.
But I do quite often wear a bowtie - or almost every other day: A cravat!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner