The demise of VHS

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by MK, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Actually there is tons of data for government and corporations stored on old formats of computer tape that can longer be retrieved today. The information is there but the hardware or software is gone out of date and is lost too.

2. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

This reminds me how few Alan Ladd movies that were on VHS still aren't on DVD.
    Not even "Blue Dahlia". Can you believe it?

Sincerely,
    The Wolf

3. CharlieB

CharlieB A-List Customer

Fortunatley, as long as human beings have eyes, paper will always be viable! :)

4. Michael Carter

Michael Carter One of the Regulars

The Library of Congress has been collecting various media devices and spare parts for some time now. Punch card readers, multi-track tape machines, Victrolas, hi speed computer tape readers, cassette decks, even wax roll machines.

I don't think any sort of media will ever be unrecoverable.

5. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

...But this don't mean that would be easy!!! Last year I needed to work in a proceding about some taxes information from a client. He had what i needed, but in those large diskettes from the 80s, in a program that now nobody knows. At the end of the story we got it - but after two weeks looking for a computer that could be used to this.

6. CharlieB

CharlieB A-List Customer

Excelent point. Not just having the hardware, but the correct software is going to be just as important. Remember all the varieties of "home computers" that existed before PC and MAC?

7. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

Sure I remember!

The first computer my dad bought (1981 or 1982) had a large memory of 8 Kb, we had to make our own programs. And they were recorded in those audio tapes.

Somewhere in home I still have some magazines with "programs", that you would copy (word by word) to try!

I don't remember the hardware used. Pascal? Basic? :eusa_doh:

8. CharlieB

CharlieB A-List Customer

I had a Texas Instruments TI994a. it ran their own basic. I started with the cassette tape drive for program and data storage, but upgraded to the 5 1/2 inch floppy drive....big time!