Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dress

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I discovered the attitude difference in a big way for myself in my last year...
Well said, Sunny.

...it's taken me a long time to find a personal fashion.
Its taken me almost 50 years to find mine! Good for you!

Grnidwitch, being "lady-like" is more of an attitude than the clothes. If you can still be "lady-like" riding the motorcyle or wearing your summer dresses with white leather keds and bobby socks (BTW, I like that idea for everyday wear in the summer, I'm going to try it!), then all the more power to you. Its just that, for me, when I don skirts/dresses there is an "attitude" or "expectation" that I feel. Its really hard to explain it, but its there. Funny, I was just talking about just this thing at a funeral dinner a couple of weeks ago and the lady (an older woman) commented on how sloppily dressed Americans seem to be and how their attitudes have changed in society from years past.

While we can't put everyone in the same box--sloppy clothes=sloppy attitude or nice clothes=nice attitude; there is some truth to this. Ever notice that in schools (mostly private schools) where there are strict dress codes or uniforms that the students (on the most part) have better behaviors and learning attitudes?

This is a very interesting topic....

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
BonnieJean said:
. Funny, I was just talking about just this thing at a funeral dinner a couple of weeks ago and the lady (an older woman) commented on how sloppily dressed Americans seem to be and how their attitudes have changed in society from years past.

Can you believe the way people go to funerals these days. I'm shocked. If I can't wear a dress/skirt/suit, I'll wear nice slacks and shoes. I almost collapsed when I saw shorts and sandals at my uncle's funeral. I could have just shaken the person.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I too am a shy person but I have always been able to be confident enough to where what I like. I work in Seal Beach, California, talk about casual! But I still dress in slacks, skirts and dresses with heels. I don't have vintage but I pick very classic pieces.

I usually don't get any comments or looks on my appearance but when I was in Target the other day I noticed I got a lot of looks and I was only wearing a black skirt and pink sweater set. Not over the top but when I noticed what others were wearing then I understood.

I agree with what all of you have said, just wear what makes you feel good about yourself and makes you feel beautiful!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Classydame said:
I too am a shy person but I have always been able to be confident enough to where what I like. I work in Seal Beach, California, talk about casual! But I still dress in slacks, skirts and dresses with heels. I don't have vintage but I pick very classic pieces.

I usually don't get any comments or looks on my appearance but when I was in Target the other day I noticed I got a lot of looks and I was only wearing a black skirt and pink sweater set. Not over the top but when I noticed what others were wearing then I understood.

I agree with what all of you have said, just wear what makes you feel good about yourself and makes you feel beautiful!

:eek:fftopic: Has anyone told you that you could pass for a member of Barrymore family. Your avatar is just fabulous.

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
MysteryGal
I too live in Washington and I know what you mean. Anytime I look like I took 2 seconds to take care of myself I get looked at like I'm a freak! People say what are you all dressed up for....etc.....The weather really isn't conducive to wearing dresses and nice things but I still try. Of course there are the days when anything warm is what I've got on but I'd like not to feel out of place just because I decided to throw on some red lips :)

All my life I've loved to look nice--even if it meant "over dressing" for the occasion but I tell my friends "hey this is me!" . I think othesr feel like they must then dress up too and if they don't want to it makes them uncomfortable. Trust me it happened with a guy I knew. He used to be a dress to the nines kinda guy and we fit together perfect but over the years he lost it and when we met up again he constantly felt uncomfortable with the fact that I couldn't "dress down" or "look relaxed" I told him I am relaxed when I'm dressed like this....*sigh* it's a shame he did look spiffy in his suits ;)

I say forget about these people if you and I are the only gorgeous dressed up ladies in WA then so be it! Let them have their fleece vests and sock/sandal combos!!!! HAHAHAH!

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Grnidwitch said:
:eek:fftopic: Has anyone told you that you could pass for a member of Barrymore family. Your avatar is just fabulous.

Thank you so much, that's very sweet! I didn't even correlate the profile idea to the Barrymore's. I know that John was known as the profile. It is quite observant of you to notice that.

Take care,

Shellie

anabolina

A-List Customer
I'm with everyone else. I wear skirts and dresses all the time (gotta love Texas) and while nobody else at work wears them, they don't make me feel like I'm a freak or anything. My boss actually asked me to wear jeans to a meeting because she didn't want to have to get dressed up for it and she figured the two of us could go in jeans. Anyway, usually I get comments like 'cute dress' and 'wow, where did you get that!'

No one says much about me being dressed up here, but I remember in high school (yes that was quite awhile ago) I felt was out of place for wearing them because no one else did except those who did it for religious purposes so I totally get where you're coming from.

Enjoy your dresses!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Goodie; Exactly! A recent example is taking my girls to the public library for story time...I wasn't dressed to the hilt-at least by my standards, but, was in a nice skirt, blouse, and yes, those stockings:eek: :) ....NONE of the other mom's would talk to me, and a few gave me the most dirtiest looks!
this has given me good motivation to steam ahead...I refuse to give in to this!!!!!lol
Another reason, is I like what a few ladies in here have mentioned about what it's saying to your kids, with having 3 girls, I want them to look feminine with pride and not feel awkward cause their going against the grain of society!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
You go girl

MG, you just keep being you and wearing what you like. Your girls are getting the best lessons possible. I think women feel threatened when they see a woman dressing like a lady. My mom always wore skirts/dresses and stockings. She always had nicely tailored clothes that fit her well. Even at 79 she always looks nice. I guess it rubbed off. And I don't mind. I actually have on a skirt, sweater set and loafers with bobby socks today. It's still pretty chilly here in IL so I do have (gasp) panty hose on. I feel great. And I'm woman enough to wear it with pride.

Oh and when I wear my saddle shoes, I do get the funniest looks. But, I love them and they are comfortable. And secretly, I like the fact that men really like them. It's the whole cheerleader/school girl thing.

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
MG-
Yea I get dirty looks to. I do think they are intimidated. It's a real shame we have to feel shunned for looking good. I've given up on caring if anyone talks to me though..who cares..I'll go on about my business and they can sit in their little circles and compare their notes about me. I am trying to show my girls ( I have 5 of them) to do what makes them feel good as long as it isn't hurting anyone...they shouldn't feel pressured to look grungy---or trampy---or even full tilt---it's all up to them!!

You go girl---- :D

Goodie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Goodie- Just noticed where you're from! Not too far away:) Hopefully sometime you can make it to a lounge event around here and get to meet you!
At the same time of getting the 'dirty' looks, I also get a kick out of the stares, and yes, the few smiles that come across people's faces as I"m out and about. The difference between looking good and what's 'normal' is amazing! Most of the time I don't think I really stop and notice it (I'm kind of that way anyways:eek: :eusa_doh: ), but (going with the lounge events thought), the time we met at Huber's and started to walk out, it was kind of funny how we all stuck out like sore thumbs!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I'm just running a few errands I don't go all out with a full face of make-up. But, I make sure that I have a little lipstick and eyeliner on and if my outfit can't be covered up by a cute coat so nobody can see it I make sure to put on a dress or a cute skirt. I want to look presentable, who knows when I might run into "Mr. Right" :)
As for comments and looks, it really depends on where I am. In my neighborhood everybody's a little different, so dressing vintage isn't shocking. I was in Harvard Square yesterday and I was wearing my new knit blue outfit. I was full on vintage, except for my handbag. I had loaned out my only brown vintage handbag, and since i was wearing brown shoes, I couldn't use a black bag. So I used a modern Gucci bag. It was small enough and I didn't think it looked all that bad. Well, this woman walking her annoying yappy dog wearing skin tight bike capris, teva sandals, an oversized white oxford that looked like it might have been her husbands, and GIANT Channel sunglasses, you know those big black glasses with huge C's in rhinestones on the side (I feel kind of bad making fun of them for I own a pair, but I was having trouble finding glasses with a fifties shape to them and the ones I have have smaller C's on the side just in silver, it seems that all modern sunglasses have these rhinestone embelleshements:() Anyway, she walks up besides me and says with this dirty look on her face "I get the whole 40's thing, but I don't get the Gucci bag" !! Maybe if she had said it nicely with a smile on her face I wouldn't have been so darn annoyed. But she had this evil scowl on her face and her tone was so darn snotty. I just said "I loaned my vintage brown bag to a friend and didn't want to use a black bag for it wouldn't have matched my shoes". She said "Well I still don't get it"!! Not very hard to understand, what an idiot. I said "Well, they did make Gucci bags in the 40's" She said "Well, they did but they looked nothing like that"! I just walked away at that point. I don't know if this woman was just mad because I was with Jitterbugdoll and as we walked across the street this woman's husband smiled at us, and I guess she thought he was checking us out. It's just so funny that this woman, who was dressed like a complete slob had the audacity to nit pick at me for something as small as my modern handbag. At least my bag matched, and I thought I looked very nice, modern bag and all. My dress verses her too tight spandex capris, my pretty dress definitely won. I guess some people just have to find fault in everybody, probably to make themselves feel better about their shortcomings. And when it came to style and class this woman had quite a few shortcoming! Her husband must have been wishing that his frumpy tacky looking wife would put on a dress more often.

Another thing I've noticed about dressing a little nicer. And I'm not even talking about getting all decked out in vintage, although I love to do this. Some days I'll just put on a dress or skirt outfit with a little makeup and my hair down and straight. But recently I've gotten a lot of complements, from men especially, when I wear a nicer outfit. It seems to me that men really like when a gal spends a bit of time not just to put on makeup but to put on a pretty outfit as well. I don't get why when girls go out to dinner they insist on wearing these low cut jeans or pants and too tight too short shirts. Don't they realize that guys really like girls in dresses. I honestly think that a guy prefers the classier look of a dress over pants. I think these girls wear these outfits to expose their sex appeal. But I think that guys think that girls in dresses and pretty outfits come across much sexier, and it's a different type of sex appeal than the other type of outfits. The type of sexy that leaves a lot to the imagination and can really peak a guys interest. Verses showing everything to the world and leaving nothing to be desired. The kind of girl he could bring home to Mom, yet still find utterly thrilling at home when they are alone. I really don't think guys want to share their gals appeals with the rest of the men in the world. Today's clothes don't allow for this type of thing.

Also, do you ever notice that when people see you dressed nicely, either modern or vintage, it just puts a smile on their faces. Maybe it's the nice weather, but just about every person I've run into lately, be it the guy at the corner market or the older woman waiting for the bus, has given me a smile and sometimes a compliment when I walk by. I'm not used to this kind of behavior from strangers. It makes me want to dress up every day. Well, except for that crazy sloppy garish looking woman yesterday, not that I'm bitter or anything:D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
This is where advertising has it SO wrong! Just about every woman's or men's magazine (which by the way, do any of you other gals get annoyed at trying to be sold something by a picture of a naked woman?-it really does nothing for me:rolleyes: ) anyways, the half-naked, show off all your creases look is pushed everywhere, yet, men LOVE the guess work. I think it says to guys that if you want me you're going to have to work hard for me, so the chase begins!:)
Out in public, I too have noticed how much better I am treated by sales clerks and what not. Some have practically bended over backward to help me!
I think for me it's hard when it's the external things get in the way of having a good conversation with someone else...I love getting to know others and it really saddens me when people get this idea of who you are before you have a chance to speak!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
My hubby and I went furniture shopping this weekend in full dressy vintage-inspired clothing. I had on a nice dress, seamed stockings, etc. and hubby had his suit with a fedora. People came out of the woodwork to comment to us. The most annoying one was, "are you going to a wedding?". I told the clerk that we dress like this all the time when we go out (which we usually do). Yes, people do treat you nicer when you're dressed up a bit more, except for a few morons out there. I enjoy "dressing up" so much that now if I have to go to town in jeans, I feel more out of place than in a dress or skirt. That's a new twist. I've had people ask me if I was wearing a costume, and my standard reply is "it's not a costume, but a lifestyle" and that's the way I like it.

Ladies, keep the dress revolution going!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear dresses or skirts and blouses most of the time, and my hair and makeup is always very polished. Phoenix is a very casual city, and I know that many people think I am overdressed. But, I find that I mostly hear positive remarks, and I think that if I showed up in jeans and t-shirt, people would think I was sick. ;)lol

I think the key is to walk with confidence and remember that you don't owe anything to anyone else--how you choose to dress is up to you, and if it makes you feel good to dress nicely, than you should do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24