Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The durability of NOS Crown zip

thinker0217

New in Town
I am thinking to order a Langlitz leathers jacket with an NOS Crown zipper on it because I am so interested in a deadstock Crown zippe and it means a lot to me. However, I am wondering whether the durability of a 60-year-old deadstock zipper can endure the daily usage because a nice leather jacket is meant to be used for years, even decades. I would like to ask those who have a deadstock zipper (Crown, Talon, or Conmar) on your jacket (A-2, rider jacket, or whatever): does the zipper still work firmly after being used for years? Thank your for the help :)

Vic

One of the Regulars
I've found that Talons hold up just fine. Can't speak for Crown, but I would imagine they would be even better.

Peacoat

Bartender
If the zipper is NOS, wouldn't that be the same as putting a new zipper on your jacket? Of course the technology would be 60 years old, but I don't think zipper technology has evolved that much since then. From what I have heard, the Crowns were excellent zippers. We have a zipper expert or two on the Forum, maybe they will jump in with their thoughts.

thinker0217

New in Town
Thanks Vic and Peacoat for answering my question. My thought is that even a never-used NOS zipper would still age owing to being exposed to air ot light for decades. I am not sure about this; it's just my guess.

Peacoat

Bartender
There would be no rust, and the oxidation, if any, would be minimal. I don't think sitting in a drawer for 60 years would cause any appreciable degradation of the materials.

OH, and BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't put a crown zipper on a FQHH jacket. The zipper is just too small & weak for the FQHH. If it was mid-weight HH, like they use on A-2s, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm speaking from my own experience btw :)

B.

I am thinking to order a Langlitz leathers jacket with an NOS Crown zipper on it because I am so interested in a deadstock Crown zippe and it means a lot to me. However, I am wondering whether the durability of a 60-year-old deadstock zipper can endure the daily usage because a nice leather jacket is meant to be used for years, even decades. I would like to ask those who have a deadstock zipper (Crown, Talon, or Conmar) on your jacket (A-2, rider jacket, or whatever): does the zipper still work firmly after being used for years? Thank your for the help :)

thinker0217

New in Town
I am planning to put a #7 Crown zipper, which should be big enough for rider jackets, on either a goatskin or a medium-weight cowhide Langlitz jacket. I totally agree that Crown zipper is not suitable for heavy-weight jackets; after all, Crown zipper is not made of brass.

Last edited:

thinker0217

New in Town
Thanks a lot for all the advices above. I've got my Langlitz custom Cascade equpped with the NOS Crown Zipper. Dave and Scott of Langlitz Leathers gave me a lot of advices and I really appreciate their excellent service. My order options are as below:

* Cascade in black goatskin
* vintage style dress collars with snaps
* elbow pads
* chest pocket
* pinstripes on the back of the jacket
* leather lined hand pockets
* cotton-rayon lining (super soft and comfortable!!!)
* Columbia style wrist gussets
* Talon brass zippers except for the fron zipper
* my own NOS Crown #7 zipper

dsc09365.jpg

dsc09370p.jpg

dsc09368x.jpg

The goatskin is heavier than I thought it would be, but still soft. I really like the texture of goatskin.
Besides, I strongly recommend the cotton-rayon lining because it is so soft and comfortable. But the tradeoff is that it is not as durable as the standard nylon lining. That's why Langlitz Japan recommends to use cotton-rayon lining on the goatkin jacket, which is softer than cowhide.
Anyway, I am extremely satisfied with the jacket and service of Langlitz Leathers. I hope I won't gain weight in the future so that I can always wear my beloved custom Cascade.

One of the Regulars
Congratulations for your Cascade Thinker.
Quite an amazing jacket you got!
Langlitz goatskin is quite exceptional!
Your Crown #7 will give you many years of service with your goatskin combo.
Congrats again!:eusa_clap

thinker0217

New in Town
Congratulations for your Cascade Thinker.
Quite an amazing jacket you got!
Langlitz goatskin is quite exceptional!
Your Crown #7 will give you many years of service with your goatskin combo.
Congrats again!:eusa_clap

Thanks a lot, 1087.
I will enjoy wearing it for sure. :D

nickgp

New in Town
I bought 1 and it seemed fine-I had it installed and 2 of the teeth fell off within a yr

Roma

A-List Customer
I got two jackets from LW recently. 3,5 oz B2 and 4 oz Suburban, both equipped with nos crown zippers. #10 as main zippers and #5 for the sleeves and pockets. Within a month two zippers on sleeves: one on the B2 and one on the Suburban broke. LW sent the replacements. I lubricated all the zippers before use and still the two broke. I lubricated the rest even more, ziped/unzipped them 100 times and they are ok. Waiting for the replacements (pullers only) to have them installed locally. The replacements are bigger, a size up. Hope it will work after lubricating and with careful use but I'm kinda dissapointed. Paid $50 for each smaller zipper. Hope the #10 will last for a long time. If not, I'll replace them with RiRI #14 as main zippers and #10 for smaller ones.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
As I always say - my advice - take it or leave it - no problem either way. If it's a vintage military jacket then you should use the specified zipper for that model but if you're having a jacket made then choose a quality brass zipper - chromed brass or brass as a brass zip is more flexible and forgiving than the 'aluminium' type. I've practiced repairing various vintage zips - replacing pullers, pins and teeth and I can tell you that the silver Crown teeth which appear to be aluminium are much more brittle than the vintage brass Talon teeth and further they have a unique curved shape so you can't find a donor zip to supply replacement teeth while you can for Talon as they have similar teeth to modern zips - even though it's a bit fiddly. In short of you have a Crown with silver teeth and teeth break or pull off the only answer is a full replacement. With a Talon individual teeth can be carefully replaced (with a bit of practice). As many of you will know the pullers on any zip are easily swapped or replaced Talon, Crown or Conmar. You'll also be told that if your zip is missing a pin or a stop box then you have to replace the whole zip - not true - occasionally you'll find replacement pins and stopper boxers on sale on eBay - well worth buying If you see them. I've just replaced a missing pin on an original #5 Crown zipper I bought for £24 - it was missing it's pin - it's half an inch shorter now as I had to remove a few teeth at the bottom of the male side to fit the pin on undamaged tape as the lower part of the tape which had held the pin was frayed but it's still a good length and I suspect is now worth more than I paid.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Roma , I've had quite a few LW jackets with zippers and only had a problem with one: the pull broke and Stuart sent a replacement, I replaced it and there hasn't been a problem since.

I bought one jacket from Stuart with a Crown pull only, no problem with that one.

Roma

A-List Customer
As I always say - my advice - take it or leave it - no problem either way. If it's a vintage military jacket then you should use the specified zipper for that model but if you're having a jacket made then choose a quality brass zipper - chromed brass or brass as a brass zip is more flexible and forgiving than the 'aluminium' type. I've practiced repairing various vintage zips - replacing pullers, pins and teeth and I can tell you that the silver Crown teeth which appear to be aluminium are much more brittle than the vintage brass Talon teeth and further they have a unique curved shape so you can't find a donor zip to supply replacement teeth while you can for Talon as they have similar teeth to modern zips - even though it's a bit fiddly. In short of you have a Crown with silver teeth and teeth break or pull off the only answer is a full replacement. With a Talon individual teeth can be carefully replaced (with a bit of practice). As many of you will know the pullers on any zip are easily swapped or replaced Talon, Crown or Conmar. You'll also be told that if your zip is missing a pin or a stop box then you have to replace the whole zip - not true - occasionally you'll find replacement pins and stopper boxers on sale on eBay - well worth buying If you see them. I've just replaced a missing pin on an original #5 Crown zipper I bought for £24 - it was missing it's pin - it's half an inch shorter now as I had to remove a few teeth at the bottom of the male side to fit the pin on undamaged tape as the lower part of the tape which had held the pin was frayed but it's still a good length and I suspect is now worth more than I paid.
Thanks for your vast contribution, robrinay. Very helpful.

Last edited:

Roma

A-List Customer
Roma , I've had quite a few LW jackets with zippers and only had a problem with one: the pull broke and Stuart sent a replacement, I replaced it and there hasn't been a problem since.

I bought one jacket from Stuart with a Crown pull only, no problem with that one.
Bern1, I had two problems with #5 zippers, Stuart sent the replacements. May be I didn't give the zippers the careful test use at the beginning, but I wasn't warned about that. When I get the spares, I'll get them replaced, lubricate, give them careful use in the first place and test them for a 100 times, but I can't stop myself waiting for any zipper of those jackets to break any time.
Thanks for your support, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner