Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Eaton Crop: I need advice!

pumori

New in Town
Hello all!
I am currently going through somewhat of a haircut dilemma. I was hospitalized last year, and had to have all my hair shaved off; I was one step away from bald for a good year or so. I am growing my hair out and it has reached a somewhat awkward length- not long enough to resemble any particular haircut, but too short to style into much of anything. My goal is to grow it out into something resembling the Eaton Crop (along the lines of Louise Brooks, of course), possibly longer to fit my face shape. I adore bobbed hair, especially very old-fashioned bobs. Does anyone have ideas for transition cuts to allow my hair to grow out into more or less one layer? Or at least something to make me feel like less of a train wreck when it comes to style?

pumori

New in Town
I won't post a picture of myself right now, not until I know what I'm in for :)
This image (let's hope it shows up) is more or less what I have.
celebrity-very-short-hair-cuts-14.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think you'll find Golden Era hairstyles (read: pincurls) are easier to do with layered hair. When hair is one length, just the ends will curl, IME.

Some women wore their hair like the woman in the photo in the early 60s (think Julie Andrews, maybe Goldie Hawn). It looks shorter than what typical servicewoman or factory worker in WWII would have had, but not a LOT shorter. This style might even work with a 20s art deco-inspired look.

Do a search for pincurls at this site, and you should come up with some threads that include short hair and some pincurl patterns that might work for very short hair. And of course, you'll just have to use trial and error. Good luck.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Louise Brooks had a bob, rather than an Eton Crop. Think more like Josephine Baker, very very short and slicked to the head!

josephinebaker2_j98mvdnc.jpg

Or indeed like the picture linked by crwitt. If you added lashings of brylcreem to your hair as it is in the Kate Moss pic, then you'd already hae an Eton crop!

Aorta

Familiar Face
I had a shingle (which is a bob with a clipped neck, and - in my case - without a fringe). It was the perfect hairstyle to let my hair grow out and you can wear it at many possible lengths.

Maybe, you'll also find' inspiration over here, just play a bit with the parameters of the search engine (and don't get irritated by the pink thing ;-)).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm in a similar position, not for medical reasons, but because I bleached my hair until it started breaking off. I keep having to cut it,to trim off the old color, so it will stay short for a while longer. My solution was to buy a wig. You can find some better brands at more affordable prices on eBay.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I love the look of a scarf over a short crop, my friend ali decided to go from shoulder length to pixie crop and she still does WW2 Living history.

Another friend lost her hair due to chemo and it grew back into a sweet Samantha Jones style crop, she used to pin curl the ends and then wrap a scarf over the back until it grew longer.

Either way, glad you're on the mend!:eusa_clap

Try this site for vintage inspiration! http://www.photodetective.co.uk/Soft-Wave.html

pumori

New in Town
Thank you all so much for your help! I've been lurking at all the websites you all posted and finding more ideas, and wearing a head scarf in the meantime...if anyone wants to give me more distraction (or ideas) feel free to post more pictures of vintage hair! I would love to have more input.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
pumori said:
...if anyone wants to give me more distraction (or ideas) feel free to post more pictures of vintage hair! I would love to have more input.

pumori, here you have Kay Francis, around the late 20s, with a nice Eton crop... hope this helps!:)

0001336478-92006L.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Australia's own "Little Nell" (Campbell) has worn her hair in various Bob styles since the early 1970's,.

nc-2b.jpg

An "Eaton Crop" (named after the boys School!)as it was known in England or La Garçon in France was a short tapered "Boyish" hairdo, sometimes softened with a few pin curls onto the forehead"

3797072089_79b6c47442.jpg

3797078567_3e4fdaf534.jpg

pumori

New in Town
Ok, here's a picture of me...do you all think my face shape is right for any of these styles? I absolutely adore the short bobs everyone has posted...and I'm starting to see how I could force my poofy hair into some style or another! Also I'm sorry, I mistook a short bob for an Eaton Crop, but from what's been posted, the Eaton crop seems to be much shorter and flattened down. What I would prefer (if my hair would only grow faster...) is a very short bob, perhaps with a shingle in the back- is this at all 20s accurate?
Again thanks everyone for your patience. I feel so hopeless with these things =[
21llrmh.jpg

sorry if the pic is enormous or doesn't show up... I tried to resize it.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I think your haircut looks nice as it is. :)

Your face is a long oval, right? I think bangs work best for that shape. A short shingle bob is very 1920's. Just grow a bit in the front and have the back cut short. The main thing is styling, do you think you could learn to finger-wave? I am sure it would look smashing!

You already have the same basic cut as the Amelia Earhart that I posted, the only difference is styling the bangs. It could work for 20's 30's or 50's, even 40's if you pin curl it right.

SayCici

Practically Family
pumori said:
Ok, here's a picture of me...do you all think my face shape is right for any of these styles? I absolutely adore the short bobs everyone has posted...and I'm starting to see how I could force my poofy hair into some style or another! Also I'm sorry, I mistook a short bob for an Eaton Crop, but from what's been posted, the Eaton crop seems to be much shorter and flattened down. What I would prefer (if my hair would only grow faster...) is a very short bob, perhaps with a shingle in the back- is this at all 20s accurate?
Again thanks everyone for your patience. I feel so hopeless with these things =[
21llrmh.jpg

sorry if the pic is enormous or doesn't show up... I tried to resize it.
I definitely think just a smidgen longer hairstyle would suit you better - like the traditional 20s bob or shingle!

Esme

One of the Regulars
Well, I have a short bob with a stacked back. I take pictures of Louise Brooks if I have to show a hairdresser what I want, but since Posh Spice was sporting a similar look, it's not too hard to get cut.
I think my avatar picture is that cut, although I have it a bit shorter right now. I am trying to grow the front out to chin length. I love the back as it is easy to style and cool in the summer.
3340271622_3f0a5c8248_m.jpg
Here is the back

and front
3459181376_b26ed33c4a_m.jpg

This is how it was before the big chop
3317880853_6d670a33c8_o.jpg

Looking a little cranky there, I think I might have had a headache.

pumori

New in Town
My face looks like an oval in this picture, but that's only I took it from an angle...just to get better lighting. My face shape is a bit more round (and I've heard so many beauty discussions about how women with round faces or square faces should avoid blunt bobs) but I figure if I learn to do pincurls or Marcel waves, that will soften the look a bit. Am I on the right track here?

Also, if you decide on a blunt bob with a fringe and a stacked back, does it get more difficult to put waves in?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Pumori, I think you would look adorable with a slightly longer bob, and a nice straight not too wispy '20s bang (fringe) - a look I dearly love but have a face too round to support.

Excuse me for using a historic-themed modern movie rather than actual historic examples, but Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago would be a darling look on you and not a bad thing to show a hair-dresser.

41068bigthumbnail.jpg

I'm glad you showed your pic a) you look cute and your hair is in a better, closer-to-this state than I'd imagined from your first post b) for whatever personal quirk of my own I rather prefer this crisp retro bob look on dark hair to light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner