Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Enfield Folds

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
enfield.jpg

THE "ENFIELD FOLDS"
Here is an Enfield. Do you see the folding/bunching due to straps being cinched a little? This look is quite common with the Enfields. It's amazing how many owners don't seem to notice how their nice leather jackets are being warped due to illogical inward placement of the straps.

Straps with buckles that cinch farther out along the sides of the waist do NOT tend to bunch the leather higher up on the back. I'm no frickin fashion designer or nuthin, but I just might know a design flaw when I see one. It doesn't take a fashion maven to see that Enfields tend to create "folds" or bunches.

So why not just let out the straps? Good point question. Slack straps do not feel quite right, either. A little tension is necessary, so the bunch effect is almost always there in the Enfields. In all fairness, I should give my girlfriend credit for this observation. She is the one who noticed it first.

Most Enfield owners never seem to notice this problem when they are wearing their jackets due to the fact that it is out of their view, and then when they have someone take their picture, the problem still seems to go unnoticed. I rarely pay attention to such things unless I plan to drop over half a grand on an article of clothing. THEN I notice.

enfieldtwo.jpg

Even a looser fitting Enfield displays the classic "folds"

Actually, last week, I was all set to buy an Enfield. I showed my gal a few pictures online. She was not very interested, to say the least, but she sat there and stuck with it, partly due to the fact that I had just bought her a pair of goatskin gloves at Langlitz's Leather, which is just down the street from our house. Anyhow, she gazed half-heartedly at a few pics, and then she squinted her eyes.

"What?" I asked. She smiled, in her usual droll way, with one corner of her mouth tugged down, and said, "The same thing's wrong in all these photos. Can't you see it? Look at the backs of the jackets. They're puckered and folded in the wrong places, like a turkey neck."

That pretty much killed my buzz. It was back to Ye Olde Drawing Board, (which, in my case, is a glowing Imac screen).

By the way, this observation is not meant as a shameless plug for Langlitz Leather. I do admire the work over there tremendously, and I stop in occasionally to drool on the jackets. But sadly, I can't bring myself to spend a little over a Cool Grand on a jacket that is mostly suited for riding, rather than also suited for wearing out on the town, or down the block on two feet. Maybe in another few years.

This said, I will probably end up buying a Vanson Mercury this winter. It's just about my speed. And, no, my observations about Enfields are definitely not meant as a dig at Vanson, which is a terrific company that makes terrific riding jackets that serve double-duty quite nicely when one is out on the town. I already own a Vent Max summer riding jacket that I love, especially in the hotter months, when I burn rubber out into the country on my Bonneville, over to the coast, or up into the Cascade mountains.

ben.jpg

Rock n Roll Folds
Here's a thought. Just imagine if the singer, Ben Folds, owned this jacket, and cinched it up nice and tight. Then his garment could be called, "The Ben Folds Enfielder." He could even play an accordion while wearing it on stage, folding and unfolding his instrument, while the back of his jacket folded in time with the tune.

Okay . . . now I've gone too far. . . . I suppose I am overlooking the fact that a well-fitted Enfield would be relatively free from the Folds. But I was not willing to take that risk. I will cross my fingers until my Mercury arrives by mail. Please tell me if I'm totally off base in terms of my logic regarding the Enfield's design. I am more than willing to concede the whole argument that I have just made, if someone shows me the error of my ways. It's just that, well, photographs don't lie. When you see enough Enfield Folds, it's hard to shake the image from your mind, especially when it comes to forking over a half-grand of hard-earned dough.

I'm no expert, that's for sure. I'm just a guy who has been known to listen to his girlfriend too much, and to defer to her judgement about most things fashion-related. She might have been trying to get me to spend $100 less anyway so that I would have more caysheesh to spend on her this month. Come to think of it, that's not entirely inconceivable. She's kind of ingenious in her own subtle and slightly manipulative way, but I love her all the same.

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I stop in occasionally to drool on the jackets. But the sad fact is that I can't bring myself to spend a little over a Cool Grand on a jacket.

Yeah join the club, I just think it's too much for a jacket and I can't pull the trigger on a jacket that expensive. I personally don't like any of the Langlitz styling to be honest.

As for the folds, that's going to happen if you rely on the straps to fit the jacket properly, no way around it, the material has to go somewhere. You're over-thinking this I think, there is no perfect jacket. Vanson, Schott, Aero, Lost Worlds all make nice jackets.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I don't have an Enfield but I don't mind the folds - it's leather, creases and folds happen.

I was thinking the same. I'm not a motorcycle guy and I realize that a proper MC jacket should fit trim, but the first jacket looks great to me and the only thing that would cross my mind when I saw it, "Damn, that's a nice looking jacket with beautiful leather". The 2nd jacket fits a little loose in my eyes, but the folds don't enter in the picture for me. Look again at the classic folds in the Levis jeans.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I was thinking the same. I'm not a motorcycle guy and I realize that a proper MC jacket should fit trim

I would say both jacket fits pictured wouldn't be ideal for riding on a motorcycle but a good fit for just walking around. The way I fit my MC jacket is I wear it with just a t-shirt and it should be form fit, if I can get a thicker hoodie or sweater under the jacket without a real tough zip it's too loose. In cold weather I thin layer, thermal or under-armor, normal long sleeve, thin fleece, then jacket and the jacket by this point should be quite tight. With just a t-shirt it should be close to the body and trim but not uncomfortable.

True MC jackets are cut to be tight, but this doesn't always translate to a good walking around jacket so people size up leaving an odd fit because the sleeves are long, there is too much room on the chest etc... Basically the jacket is meant to be tight on a bigger individual not loose on a smaller individual.

I've had looser motorcycle jackets and sold each one of them because they rode up on me when seated on the bike and pushed the collar up, drove me nuts. It's probably fine to have a looser MC jacket if you don't ride or just put around town. But again the cut of the jacket kind of screams form fit or it will look odd, kind of like a military uniform, baggy or loose doesn't really work with them. The pockets are also a bad idea since you should never carry anything in your pockets when riding, could be the difference between dusting off and 5 cracked ribs and a punctured lung.

If you want a "walking around" jacket get an aero half belt, I would buy it in a minute if I wanted just a casual jacket.

Last edited:

morrison2951

Practically Family
Ummm...the top photo is actually of my jacket in cordovan HH and the folds are....spectacular!

It is by far my favorite jacket!

trapp

Practically Family
The fit of the top jacket looks great, folds and all. If there were no folds present in that upright position, the wearer would not be able to reach forward with their hands without a lot of pulling.

Actually the Enfield(or at least my black Enfield) in the second pic is put together very well for riding. Sleeves are made in a way that they barely ride up when reaching for the handlebars..and the back is the same way..not much riding up. Somehow it is purposely made that way by Vanson. A different cut and pattern that seems somewhat exclusive to this jacket compared to others that I also use for riding. The folds are made to form on the back rather than under the buckled straps on the side. I don't do much 'putting around' and usually put quite a few miles on a bike per year. The Enfield is one of my favorites and also good for street wear as well.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo