Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_.jpg
Wait, what cult? There's so many. The Father Divine movement dabbles in reincarnation, but that doesn't seem a good fit for a couple of Germans. The Cult Of The I AM was mostly out west, and might have been a bit too Nazi-like for someone of a Jewish background. The Rosicrucians, maybe? Frank "I TALKED WITH GOD" Robinson? Those guys raising the Immortal Baby out on Long Island? So many options.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(2).jpg
Thing is, the Isolationist vs. Interventionist debate has barely begun. Wait till next year.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(3).jpg

I'm sure she's thankful too.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(1).jpg
See Irwin, this is how to be an effective sidekick.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(4).jpg
THE CLIPPING OMG ITS GONE

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(5).jpg
Snark is most effective when it's least expected.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(6).jpg
"Stove In?" Terry is from Maine CONFIRMED.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(7).jpg
With a mouth like that, Andy ought to run for Congress. OH WAIT HE ALREADY DID. And he ran for President too -- see rare campaign footage HERE!

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(8).jpg
Um, given how your mother and brother carry on, you probably already *are* the laughing stock of the town.

Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(9).jpg

Willie's gotta weigh, what, somewhere north of 250 -- and Mamie drags him along like a bag of washing. With one arm, yet. And I bet she doesn't even go to the gym.

A thirty-five year old WPA worker and subway change clerk was arrested today on a charge of rape committed in the Red Hook housing project, after being tracked down by the victim of the crime. Anthony Gigante of 1452 81st Street was identified to police in the Hamilton Avenue subway station today by twenty-seven year old Mrs. Antoinette Finley of Manhattan, who was attacked in an elevator at the Red Hook project on September 27th by a swarthy, stocky man while on her way to visit her sister. Since the attack, Mrs. Finley has visited Red Hook nightly in search of the man, and last night spotted Gigante working in the change cage at the Hamilton IND subway station at the intersection of Smith and Carroll Streets. She took her train into Manhattan, and upon arrival at the Hoyt Street station, telephoned police. Two detectives and three policewomen accompanied Mrs. Finley back to the Hamilton Avenue station, where she positively identified Gigante as her assailant. He was arrested and questioned overnight, and insisted that "he didn't do nothing." Gigante was booked this morning shortly after 5 AM, and is to be arraigned today in Brooklyn Felony Court. Deputy Chief Inspector William Reynolds, head of Brooklyn police, congratulated and thanked Mrs. Finley for her courage in solving the crime....

Good on her.

...A 34-year-old Island Park man is under arrest in Manhattan today for the heretofore unsolved 1932 murder of the son of a Bronx policeman. William Clegg of 315 Long Beach Road has been under indictment for the crime for nearly eight years, since 23-year-old John Arthur Daggett was shot down in front of 108 Leroy Street in Manhattan, less than a hundred feet from the home of then-Mayor James J. Walker. Daggett was the son of then-Patrolman George Daggett, who was subsequently promoted to Detective, and assigned the job of tracking down his son's killer. Detective Daggett died several years ago without solving the crime, but yesterday, motorcycle Patrolman Cornelius McGregor of the Grand Central Parkway precinct in Queens stopped to aid a man fixing a flat tire on the Sunrise Highway, and saw something familiar in his face. The man's license bore the unfamiliar name of "Walter Hart," but after sending the man on his way, Patrolman McGregor realized why he knew him -- he had gone to school with him, and knew him then by his true name of William Clegg, for whom a murder warrant was still outstanding. Patrolman McGregor observed that Clegg was driving toward Lynbrook and telephoned the police station there. Officers were waiting to arrest Clegg when he drove into town....

Good on Patrolman McGregor

Also, that's a very film-noir way for a criminal to be captured. The criminal seems to have gotten away with his crime scot free, but then some innocent event - like a flat tire - leads to his/her arrest. It's film noir 101.

...Reader Agnes Black writes in demanding to know just when they're going to do something about the blasting of car horns at the corners of Court, Montague, and Joralemon Streets. Don't we have an anti-noise ordinance for this kind of thing?? Remember how a few years ago they were handing out tickets to mothers picking up their kids at school and people blasting their radios out open windows? How about some enforcement now!...

We could slap a 2020 date on that letter, send it in today and it would be just as relevant.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(2).jpg
("Sure, Ma -- 'cause that worked out so swell for you!")...

Kaboom! Nice one Lizzie
200.gif

...The Football Dodgers showed the Philadelphia Eagles what it's all about with a solid 30-17 win to kick off the local pro football season at Ebbets Field last night. The 24,008 spectators on hand for the premiere left the park very pleased with Jock Sutherland's work as coach, but Sutherland himself was not too happy about the game, since there was more passing than running -- and his primary credo as a coach is that the running game must not be subjugated to the pass....

He would not like football today.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(3).jpg (And a light, satirical strip veers suddenly to grisly body horror. Hey Gould, he's pushing in on your racket.)...

Yes, but well played. Stomping on megalomaniac criminals as bugs is a wonderful metaphor.

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(5).jpg (Not only is he a bum, he's an accelerationist Trotskyite bum!)...

T + Four Days

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(6).jpg (Will Irwin make it without an airsick bag?)

Should have tossed Irwin over when he had the chance - 200 pounds of dead weight.

Darn good action-adventure sequence today for a comic strip.

... Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(5).jpg Snark is most effective when it's least expected.....

Staying with the day's theme, good on you Skeezix.

... Daily_News_Sat__Oct_5__1940_(8).jpg Um, given how your mother and brother carry on, you probably already *are* the laughing stock of the town.....

I'm pretty sure we know Harold's talking to the blonde one, but even if not, does it really matter which sister fell in love - why the big mystery as to which one it is?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Republican presidential candidate Wendell Willkie last night denounced as "cowards and curs" those whom he claims are responsible for a "whispering campaign" against his candidacy in New York City. "I defy any man," said Willkie from the platform of Edward B. Shallow Junior High School in Bensonhurst, "no matter how high a public office he holds, to come out openly with what he has to say. Mr. Willkie accused the "whisperers" of impugning the completeness of his patriotism. The Republican nominee spoke at a series of locations in Brooklyn and Manhattan yesterday under heavy police guard.

British sources responded to hints that the long-awaited German invasion may be at hand with calls of "we're ready for them!" Rumors that German troops were preparing to land on the British coast were circulating yesterday in Switzerland, as from Berlin came reports that Germany and Italy are preparing to strike Britain in "a vulnerable spot." The reports from Bern, Switzerland state that German forces in the North Sea and English Channel are "ready to go."

The Reds have evened up the World Series, beating the Tigers in Detroit yesterday by a score of 5-2. Paul Derringer, pitching on two days' rest, made easy work of the powerful Bengal lineup, allowing only five hits to finally break his two-year World Series jinx.

President Roosevelt told supporters in his home town of Hyde Park yesterday that "overstatement, personal attacks, and wild promises" have no place in the presidential campaign. He urged his supporters to conduct their election activities "on the highest possible level of American ethics and decency."

The 35-year-old subway change clerk accused of preying on women at the Red Hook housing project is being held on a charge of criminal assault. Bail for Anthony Gigante was set at $5000 during his initial appearance in Brooklyn Felony Court. He will appear next before Magistrate John F. X. Masterson on October 9th. Gigante is accused of attacking Mrs. Antoinette Finley in an elevator at the Lorraine Street project on September 27th. Mrs. Finley played a key role in tracking down and apprehending her accused assailant.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(1).jpg

(Miss O'Driscoll's cat looks up and is concerned. "Mother has some strange mark on her ankles," she meows. "I shall extend a helpful paw and scratch it off.")

Dr. Rudolf Kagey of Jackson Heights will be out of a job soon. He's the Director of Public Education out at the World's Fair, but he's not worried that he is about to lose that position with the Fair's impending finish. He still has two other jobs to keep him going -- he's an assistant professor of philosophy at New York University, and he's also a successful author of murder-mystery novels, publishing under the name of "Kurt Steel." He presently has two books going -- a treatise on the history of British idealism, and a spine-chiller pitting his hard-fisted detective hero Hank Hyer against a murderous racketeering psychologist.

The Eagle Editorialist reminds you that voter registration for the upcoming election begins tomorrow and will continue over six days. There is no excuse for not registering or not voting. It is your duty and your responsibility as a citizen.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(2).jpg

(If Namm's were on the ball, they'd sign up Bob to do an endorsement. I'm surprised A&S hasn't already beaten them to it.)

Old Timer Charles Mayhood remembers when the U. S. S. Monitor was under construction at Greenpoint, because his father helped build the famous ship. And he remembers when the Monitor came back to Greenpoint, he himself scraped his initials into the ship's hull with a nail.

Jack Benny is back on the air tonight at 7PM over WEAF, beginning his seventh season for his gelatin sponsor. Mary Livingstone, Phil Harris, Don Wilson, Dennis Day, and "Rochester" will all be back as well.

Tonight at 730 on WABC the Gulf Screen Guild Theatre presents Clark Gable and Ann Sothern in a half-hour adaptation of "Red Dust," the story of "two not too civilized people miles from civilization."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(3).jpg

The World Series continues this afternoon at Briggs Stadium, with Del Baker likely to send Buck Newsom to pitch against Junior Thompson for the Reds.

An array of major league stars take the field at Dexter Park this afternoon for a doubleheader against the Bushwicks. The big leaguers, managed by Billy Jurges of the Giants, will include Dodger favorite Dixie Walker, former Dodger Buddy Hassett, and former Yankee Jake Powell. Also in the lineup will be the prize minor leaguer of 1940, young shortstop Phil Rizzuto, who starred with the Kansas City Blues this year and who is expected to get a long look from the Yankees next spring.

The Yankees are conspicuous by their absence from the World Series this year, but Connie Mack says they'll be back playing under the October sun in 1941. The grand old man of the Philadelphia Athletics says the Yankees remind him of his A's teams of the early 1910s, who "cracked up when everyone said they couldn't." But, he says, the Athletics rose again, and so will the Yankees.

Tennessee trounced Duke 13-0 in the marquee college football matchup of the weekend, before a crowd of 42,000 at Knoxville. Locally, Fordham drubbed West Virginia 20-7, and Columbia turned back Maine 15-0.

In a schoolboy football tripleheader at Ebbets Field, Madison blanked Manual 6-0, New Utrecht topped Stuyvesant 15-0, and Brooklyn Tech walloped Erasmus Hall, 18-0.

The head of American defense production and noted cracker barrel philosopher makes the front of Trend this week --

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(4).jpg

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(5).jpg

(Al Jolson in classic form, Ed Wynn playing a piano on a bicycle, and now Joe Cook On Ice. This is shaping up to be quite a season for stage comedy.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(6).jpg
(I'm still waiting for an explanation about what happened to the third horse. I"M NOT ONE TO FORGET.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(7).jpg
(Gandhi is wondering what Mr. Cox has against him.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(8).jpg
(Hmmm. Either this is an attempt to clarify the question of Mary and Bill's relationship, or Butch isn't the only dawg in the house.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(9).jpg
(They'll do fine in a dogfight, because, you know, they have an actual dog.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(10).jpg
(Actually, from what we've seen of 1940 high society, the absence of trunks won't be a problem at all.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_.jpg
"Red flannelette bloomers?"

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(1).jpg

Yeah, Mr. Mayor -- you need to have another word with those magazine guys.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(2).jpg
Ever notice how all the football guys have square heads and no necks?

_Sun__Oct_6__1940_.jpg
I know this strip isn't supposed to be funny, but honestly, I can't stop laughing. TAKE OFF YOUR SHIRTS.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(3).jpg
Shadow's banana says it all.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(4).jpg
So Thor's reformed and everything is hunky-dory -- except for those men he killed. Let's try not to forget that, OK?

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(5).jpg
Little known fact -- it's Mamie who carries a card in the Hod Carriers' local, not Willie.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(6).jpg
HE'S NOT BALD!

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(7).jpg
They grow up so fast.

Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(8).jpg

Well, all right then. READ IT TO US already.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(1).jpg
(Miss O'Driscoll's cat looks up and is concerned. "Mother has some strange mark on her ankles," she meows. "I shall extend a helpful paw and scratch it off.")...

Could anything be more tone deaf to a country in a Depression and facing a World War than $2000 stockings (~$37,000 in 2020)? Nice looking legs though.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(2).jpg
(If Namm's were on the ball, they'd sign up Bob to do an endorsement. I'm surprised A&S hasn't already beaten them to it.)...

Our dog, used to sleeping in (1) our bed (and hogging the covers while randomly jamming his paws into my back or stomach) or (2) his very comfy and cushiony LL Bean dog bed, would not deign to consider a metal bed.

...Tonight at 730 on WABC the Gulf Screen Guild Theatre presents Clark Gable and Ann Sothern in a half-hour adaptation of "Red Dust," the story of "two not too civilized people miles from civilization."...

It's such a good story that they made the movie twice (both versions are excellent) and with the same male lead, Clark Gable, in both the '32 version (opposite Jean Harlow and Mary Astor) and the '53 version (call "Mogambo," opposite Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly). Pause on that for a moment, the same leading man stared in the same movie, 21 years apart, and opposite top female stars from both eras.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(8).jpg (Hmmm. Either this is an attempt to clarify the question of Mary and Bill's relationship, or Butch isn't the only dawg in the house.)...

Very timely after our recent conversation. As someone in a relationship, I don't play any games, but as a dog owner, I can say, it is one of the easiest ways to meet women as the dogs pull to each other and, well, there you are in a conversation. I'd encourage single men and women looking to meet to get dogs (as long as they'll be good dog owners).

... View attachment 268004 (They'll do fine in a dogfight, because, you know, they have an actual dog.)...

I know "Peanuts" did not begin until 1950; otherwise, I suggest a crossover appearance by that famous WWI fighter ace, Snoopy. How perfect would it be to see that awesome beagle, in his scarf, helmet and goggles, sitting atop his doghouse airplane, swoop down from the clouds and rescue Dan?

I'm on my way, hang in there DD, your pal, Snoopy
4e6c18_169d20e755ed42aeb837f2a11db3f13a~mv2.gif

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(10).jpg (Actually, from what we've seen of 1940 high society, the absence of trunks won't be a problem at all.)

No kidding.

Also, re the last panel, the best part is that Jo isn't even really surprised by the request as she's lived long enough with George to not be.

... Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_.jpg "Red flannelette bloomers?"....

Okay, if that list of eleven demands wasn't a red flag for him, I don't know what to say.

... _Sun__Oct_6__1940_.jpg I know this strip isn't supposed to be funny, but honestly, I can't stop laughing. TAKE OFF YOUR SHIRTS. ....

Oh God yes, to repeat, I'm not sayin' fetish, but maybe I'm sayin' fetish, but I'm not sayin' fetish. The lady knows what she likes.

But it's cool '40s tech having the hydraulic pumps automatically collapse the telescoping wings.

... Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(3).jpg Shadow's banana says it all.....

Also, it's an early riff on the "pretty women / handsome men are attracted to the men / women who don't fawn all over them" cliché.

...[ Daily_News_Sun__Oct_6__1940_(6)-2.jpg HE'S NOT BALD!....

The thing I'm learning about the Dragon Lady is that if she finds a weakness, she keeps pounding away at it - no mercy, no prisoners. Agree or not, that's her approach. She keeps firing out "silver one" or "pale one" at Raven trying to get a response. Panel three is awesome; these are two women who do not like each other even if they, maybe, respect each other.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Odds that the DL goes after Dude just because she knows Raven's head has been turned are now running 1-1.

Today's "Harold Teen" is a priceless document of the state of young men's fashion in the fall of 1940. I don't know what you call that shirt that Lilacs has on, but it makes for a perfect ensemble with his rolled-up clamdigger pants, loud socks, and spectator shoes. Teenage boys actually dressed this way and thought they were some gators. And then Beezie with his tiresome letter sweater and bow tie, for all the world the picture of an ickie. And Shadow, changing from his striped Dead End Kid t-shirt to a conservative dark suit for his evening out in an effort to show a beyond-his-years maturity. No wonder Penny's head was turned.

The shot of Pat Patton there with his shirt off trying desperately to conceal his flabby man-nipples is an image that I won't soon forget. Who says Chester Gould doesn't have a sense of humor?

Gable is an actor who had the great good advantage of aging into his screen persona. When he was younger, he always seemed to be playing older -- so as he got older the persona didn't have to change at all. He didn't really seem to be getting any older in real terms until the very end of his life. And unlike a lot of the movie stars who treated these radio jobs as cheap throwaways, Gable actually put some work into them -- and any show he does, whether it's a film adaptation or a variety show turn, is liable to be a good one just because it's him doing it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The radio program that will "make your dreams come true" is called "Your Dream Has Come True!," presented by Quaker Oats. Another manifestation of the reality-show craze that built steadily thru the late thirties and spilled over into the early 1940s. It didn't last very long, maybe because there were too few interesting dreams that didn't involve a large and sudden pile of money.

Just from reading the ads, the Tribune's readers seem to be wealthier than the Eagle's as the items advertised are, often, much more expensive in the Tribune than the Eagle. I don't think we see many $55 dollar (not fur) coats (~$1000 in 2020) advertised in the Eagle and the furniture sets in the Eagle are usually under $100 bucks. Also, we see fewer new car ads in the Eagle versus the Tribune. I'm assume (just a guess, really) this is because the Tribune's audience is wealthier Chicago residents than the Eagle's Brooklyn readers. Possibly, the advertisements in the New York Times would be similar to those in the Chicago Tribune.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn in 1940 was largely a conglomeration of working-class towns -- there were well-to-do sections like Brooklyn Heights and Bay Ridge, and more middle-class parts of Flatbush and Midwood, but the bulk of the borough was made up of Joe-and-Sally types just trying to get by, people who shopped at Namm's and Sears instead of A&S and Loeser's. The real money in the Eagle's readership is out on Long Island.

The Tribune is an interesting paper demographically -- it's the "paper of record" for the midwest, and as such was favored by the Establishment types who were generally in line with its hard-right politics. But at the same time it has a lot of the same features that appear in New York in the Daily News to attract the blue-collar readership, especially the comic-strip lineup, which is identical to that of the News.

Most of the Chicago papers tilted to the right -- the Chicago Daily News, the Tribune's main rival, was more or less equivalent to the Herald-Tribune in New York -- Republican, but not fanatical about it -- and the Herald-Examiner was a screechy Hearst sheet, with all that that implies. The only left-leaning paper in the city in 1940 was the tabloid Daily Times, which never approached the mass appeal of that the News had in New York, probably because the Tribune had the best comic section in town. The Times had Lichty, but little else in its funny pages was noteworthy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Reds pulled even again with the Tigers, taking Game Six of the World Series with a 4-0 win at Crosley Field. Bucky Walters scattered five hits for the victory, while the Reds gave Schoolboy Rowe his second early shower of the series, knocking him out of the box in the first inning.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_.jpg

The win follows yesterday's 8-0 Detroit victory built on an outstanding pitching performance by Buck Newsom, who closed out the Briggs Stadium phase of the series with a masterful three-hitter.

The Series concludes in Cincinnati this afternoon, with the Reds hoping to be the first National League team to take baseball's crown since the Cardinals beat the Tigers in 1934.

Wendell L. Willkie today flayed Democratic Jersey City Mayor Frank Hague as "a puny Hitler." Speaking at Journal Square, heart of Hague's political domain, the Republican presidential nominee attacked "boss rule" and declared that "anyone who denies you your civil liberties should be treated as the enemy that he is." Some boos were noted from the crowd of 8000 to 10,000 persons assembled in the square for the speech, but there was no violence. Explosions heard as Mr. Willkie began his speech were from aerial fireworks bombs detonated by Republicans celebrating the candidate's appearance.

German troops moved into Rumania today to make sure that the Balkan kingdom "doesn't go wrong," according to authorized Nazi sources. Ensuring the uninterrupted flow of oil and gasoline to the German war machine is essential to the Nazi war effort, and German sources state that the Nazi government is concerned that British saboteurs may attempt to cut those supply lines. British reports that Italian troops had also marched into Rumania were denied by Rome.

An East New York saleswoman today became the first woman ever appointed as foreman of a Brooklyn grand jury, with Mrs. Sadye Kane of 925 Cleveland Street named by Judge Peter Brancato to head the grand jury for the month of October in Kings County Court. Mrs. Kane refused to pose for photographers or to comment on her appointment, but Judge Brancato asked her if she knew how to run a house. When she replied in the affirmative, the Judge stated "if you can run one man, you can run twenty-two." In addition to Mrs. Kane, two other women, both of them housewives, were appointed to the October panel.

The Metropolitan Cooperative Milk Producers Association today accused members of the Dairy Farmers' Union of threatening to burn down farms and blow up the Association's milk processing plants if its demands are not met. An association spokesman made the claim today during hearings on a proposed milk price increase, but union chairman Archie Wright denied any such threat was ever made by the union. "Every time we have had a strike," testified Wright, "the membership of the union and the farmers have been counseled to do no violence and destroy no property." The Union has threatened to withhold milk from New York City unless it receives a flat year-round price of $2.50 per hundredweight (47 quarts). The August price paid to farmers under the present contract was $1.81 per hundredweight.

The former president of the Building Service Employees International Union was sentenced today to ten to twenty years in prison following his recent conviction on embezzlement charges. George C. Scalise was sentenced in General Sessions Court as a first-time offender after he was found guilty last month of stealing $300,000 in union funds.

The nation's leading orchestra leaders are leading the call for resumption of negotiations between the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers and the radio networks for a new contract governing the use of copyrighted music over the air. The networks are threatening to ban broadcasting of all ASCAP music as of January 1, 1941 if their demands for more favorable contract terms are not met. Bandleaders, whose music libraries would become worthless for air use if the ban takes effect, are urging a settlement, and have the support of Local 802 of the American Federation of Musicians. Orchestra leader Fred Waring, chairman of the National Association of Performing Artists, is urging that a conference on the matter be held next week at the New York Athletic Club.

Pope Pius XII is urging Catholic women to fight the "immodesty" of modern fashions, and avoid "ambitious vanity." Those who fail to do so, warned the Pontiff, "go miserably toward danger where their chastity may find death."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(1).jpg

(Modest enough for ya?)

A twenty-eight-year-old Long Island schoolteacher and her married thirty-two-year-old lover died yesterday in a double suicide in the kitchen of a four-room bungalow in Babylon. The bodies of Mrs. Dorothy Grant Gunn and Frederick Hornby, a bill collector, were found locked in an embrace, dead from the effects of gas, by Mrs. Hornby, who had discovered the affair yesterday when she walked in on the couple, preciptating a violent scene. The Hornby family dog also died from the effects of the gas.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(2).jpg

(What, no more spaghetti-by-the-pound? I had my heart set on it.)

At the Patio, it's Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland in "Andy Hardy Meets A Debutante" and Walter Pidgeon in "The Phantom Raiders."

"Flatbushite" writes in to complain about the Eagle Editorialist. "We have a civilization crumbling and an election at hand, perhaps the most important in our history, and the Eagle's leading statement complains about the failure to open first-run movies in Brooklyn. If that is all you have to offer, perhaps the answer can be found elsewhere." Mr. Schroth takes umbrage at this letter, and points out the majority of the paper's editorials deal with the war, politics, and similar matters. "But nevertheless, life goes on," he points out. "If it is out of place for the Eagle occasionally to emphasize local concerns, we misinterpret our obligation as a Brooklyn newspaper."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(3).jpg

(Watch out, curs and cowards -- Mr. Lichty is right on the ball!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(4).jpg
(A $1.98 briefcase? Hey Wilmer, you got your work cut out for you!)

The success of the Reds this year owes a lot to Mr. Leland Stanford MacPhail, who built the core of the present Cincinnati club during his tenure there as Powel Crosley's general manager. But another thing Larry did was build a strong front office -- so that when he left to take on the challenge of rebuilding the Dodgers, his successors were ready to carry on his work. Current Reds general manager Warren Giles is a MacPhail disciple, at least so far as scouting talent is concerned, and it must be said that Giles has as much to do with the success of the 1940 squad as the players themselves. It was he, for example, who took advantage of the waiver botch in the Brooklyn office that made Jimmy Ripple available -- and Ripple has been a key part of the Reds' World Series attack.

The Newark Bears hope tonight will see them earning the title of champions of the minor leagues, with Game Five of the Little World Series under the lights tonight at Ruppert Stadium. The Bears are three games up on the Louisville Colonels, and will send their ace pitcher George Washburn to the mound tonight against hard-throwing Cecil "Tex" Hughson, who was responsible for the Colonels' sole victory in the series thus far.

The Bushwicks and Bill Jurges' Major League All Stars played to a draw yesterday, splitting their twinbill at Dexter Park. Tom Ferrick, Bushwicks pitching star, who won ten against only two losses in Metropolitan League play this summer, shut the All Stars down in an impressive 7-1 victory in the first game, with the Stars rallying to take the nightcap in a game called after six innings on account of darkness. Ferrick, a young man with major league potential, baffled Dodger hitting star Dixie Walker, but Walker garnered two hits in the second game. Star rookie Phil Rizzuto was held, who figures in next year's Yankee infield, was hitless in both games.

If you've noticed that Martha Deane on WOR sounds different these days it's because she isn't Mary Margaret McBride anymore. Miss McBride will launch her new daytime interview program this afternoon under her own name over WABC, while the Martha Deane name has been assumed by newspaperwoman Bessie Beatty.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(5).jpg
(Y'know, Doc, a security lock on the machine really wouldn't be that hard to build.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(6).jpg
(Ever notice we never see George at his job? All he ever seems to do is storm around the apartment waving his fist and talking to unseen voices. Nice work if you can get it.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(7).jpg
(Never mind Leach, I want to see more of Sunny playing halfback.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(8).jpg
(Oh, no, Irwin. No, no, no. Fate has much more in store for you. Much, much more....)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_.jpg
Polar bears develop severe psychological problems in captivity, and even in 1940 there's a mounting body of evidence that they should not be kept in zoos under any circumstances. Eighty years on we still haven't learned that lesson.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(1).jpg
Bruce Barton was a big deal in the 1920s, as one of the original Boys From Marketing, and the author of "The Man Nobody Knows," a biography of Jesus in which Barton asserted that, despite His background in the building trades, Jesus was an advocate and a practitioner of modern marketing and business methods. "He would be a national advertiser today," Mr. Barton asserted. Coming across him still a major figure in 1940 is like finding a fly trapped in amber.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(2).jpg

We haven't seen anything from Childs lately, which is just as well. They're probably out there trying to sign up Ed Wynn, while here comes H&H with a talking sausage waving a lorgnette.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(3).jpg
So why did Sam take the clipping and then put it back? To make a photostatic copy for his spymaster? To hold close to his bosom on a lonely night? Or did he just want to write down the recipe for cheese blintzes on the back of it? Dammit, Gray, give me something to work with here!

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(4).jpg
Mr. Gould sure does love to draw hairy chests. I imagine a fetish is indeed at work -- but whose?

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(5).jpg
The one I really feel for here is Hu Shee, who's probably had just about enough of the constant bickering.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(6).jpg
"Go sit on a tack!" And with her eyes languidly closed yet. See, Jo, *this* is how you do it.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(7).jpg
Snipe and Skeez need to get their resumes ready.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(8).jpg

I'm pretty sure that if Rochester and Mr. Benny haven't already used this joke, they will soon.

Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(9).jpg
And by "letters" he means "packet of cocaine."

...The Metropolitan Cooperative Milk Producers Association today accused members of the Dairy Farmers' Union of threatening to burn down farms and blow up the Association's milk processing plants if its demands are not met. An association spokesman made the claim today during hearings on a proposed milk price increase, but union chairman Archie Wright denied any such threat was ever made by the union. "Every time we have had a strike," testified Wright, "the membership of the union and the farmers have been counseled to do no violence and destroy no property." The Union has threatened to withhold milk from New York City unless it receives a flat year-round price of $2.50 per hundredweight (47 quarts). The August price paid to farmers under the present contract was $1.81 per hundredweight...

It's really amazing how much more milk was a newsmakers back then than today.

...Pope Pius XII is urging Catholic women to fight the "immodesty" of modern fashions, and avoid "ambitious vanity." Those who fail to do so, warned the Pontiff, "go miserably toward danger where their chastity may find death."...

If we could drop someone form 1940 into 2020, I often wonder if our technology or sexualized culture would surprise him or her more.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(1).jpg
(Modest enough for ya?)...

There are no $7.95 dresses in the Tribune. That said, and we've talked about it before, it is the modest dresses of the '30s and '40s that proved to be more timeless in their style than the high-end "fashion" stuff. Versions of that Lane Brant dress can still be found today.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(2).jpg
(What, no more spaghetti-by-the-pound? I had my heart set on it.)...

To make up for it, I'll share my three cupcakes with you.

... View attachment 268210 (A $1.98 briefcase? Hey Wilmer, you got your work cut out for you!)...

And Lizzie identifies an early signpost on the road of death for small manufacturers/wholesalers especially in the high-cost real estate and labor New York Metro region.

... It was he, for example, who took advantage of the waiver botch in the Brooklyn office that made Jimmy Ripple available -- and Ripple has been a key part of the Reds' World Series attack....

The Eagle couldn't resist twisting the knife in on that one, one last time this season.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(7).jpg (Never mind Leach, I want to see more of Sunny playing halfback.)...

T + Five Days

I'm not counting Sunday 'cause of the continuity break, which is just as bad as Dan Dunn, basically, repeating Sunday's strip every Monday.

.. Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(3).jpg So why did Sam take the clipping and then put it back? To make a photostatic copy for his spymaster? To hold close to his bosom on a lonely night? Or did he just want to write down the recipe for cheese blintzes on the back of it? Dammit, Gray, give me something to work with here!

Agreed, like Mary Worth right now, it's time to reveal more.

... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(5).jpg The one I really feel for here is Hu Shee, who's probably had just about enough of the constant bickering....

True, but when the elephants are dancing and you're not an elephant, your best move is to stay silent and on the sidelines.

... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(6).jpg "Go sit on a tack!" And with her eyes languidly closed yet. See, Jo, *this* is how you do it....

I particularly liked ,"...notice the way those human blast furnaces melted that 12-pound roast...."

... Daily_News_Mon__Oct_7__1940_(7).jpg Snipe and Skeez need to get their resumes ready....

Been there, yup, time to get the resume up to date. As Lizzie noted, it's those darn A&S briefcases.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Just from reading the ads, the Tribune's readers seem to be wealthier than the Eagle's as the items advertised are, often, much more expensive in the Tribune than the Eagle. I don't think we see many $55 dollar (not fur) coats (~$1000 in 2020) advertised in the Eagle and the furniture sets in the Eagle are usually under $100 bucks. Also, we see fewer new car ads in the Eagle versus the Tribune. I'm assume (just a guess, really) this is because the Tribune's audience is wealthier Chicago residents than the Eagle's Brooklyn readers. Possibly, the advertisements in the New York Times would be similar to those in the Chicago Tribune.

I noticed this too. And in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s had similar ads too. Back when I was a child in the 1980s it was rare for my family to get a newspaper and when one happened to make its way into the house I poured over that paper. And I always adored the Chicago Trib's ads and always noticed all the fur coat ads.

The same in the 1990s when I was a teen, and got to read the newspaper at my high school's library. Every now and then in the early 2000s I would buy a newspaper and the joy of being able to sit with the paper open, plus the size of opening the Chicago Trib made me very happy, one could not sit and read it like a book one had to use the kitchen table/dinner table to read the paper which was how I liked reading the paper, I never got into the habit of folding the paper.

And when the former Mayor Daley opened up more library buildings and had libraries built in local neighborhoods I no longer thought about buying a newspaper due to it being free to read at the public library.

Now with the news put out these days I do not care to read the modern newspaper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana