Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Trifles light as air are to the jealous confirmations strong as proofs of holy writ... Shakespeare

Burma caught in the web of deceit, Terry errant fool knave, star crossed lovers indeed.

...First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt says she has given up taking rhumba classes and is now looking for a better program for obtaining winter exercise. Mrs. Roosevelt stated yesterday that she had enrolled in the rhumba class along with Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau as her dancing partner, but , she stated, "I found that it didn't give me much exercise at all."...

Good for the First Lady for promoting exercise, but I am very happy that there are no pictures of her doing the rhumba.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Feb_16__1941_(1).jpg
(And some people still try to say Old Henry wasn't a hardened anti-Semite. Forget the dogwhistle, he's blowing a siren.)...

There is way too much evidence against Ford for anyone to seriously make that argument.

Shame too, as the Henry Ford museum in Michigan is Fedora Lounge heaven.

... Daily_News_Sun__Feb_16__1941_.jpg The Reno Chamber of Commerce laughs and laughs. "Arkansas! HAHAHAHAH! Arkansas!"....

Of course they'd have to clean it up a bit for the Motion Picture Production Code, but once again, Page Four provides MGM with the outline of the script for the next Cary Grant, Irene Dunne movie.

Regarding the juvenile shoplifters, yes, there is a current TV show, "Trinkets" on Netflix about just such a thing as, apparently, the problem of young shoplifters is evergreen.

... Daily_News_Sun__Feb_16__1941_(4).jpg Meanwhile, Major von Grumpykraut's outfit suggests that he has apparently taken a job playing third trumpet in the band at a Hungarian restaurant....

I don't think one's head is supposed to fill out a beret like that.

Eric Von Stroheim would make an excellent Keil:
Daily_News_Sun__Feb_16__1941_(4)-2.jpg
MV5BMjEyMTYwNTcyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzQ2MjI2._V1_UY1200_CR158,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

... Daily_News_Sun__Feb_16__1941_(5)-2.jpg While Joy, judging from panel two, appears to have taken a job in the chorus. Probably needs her own plane to play road dates.....

Joy should have punched Jack in the face in panel four.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^absolutely nailed von Stroheim with Ace Slimeball's stern Teutonic countenance.
...von Stroheim looks to be wearing a Hamilton wrist watch w/gold metal band. Had my grandfather's
Hamilton bench worked Pennsylvania but subsequently cracked its crystal against a steel store cart.
Another procrastination on my part. I will get this done and gift the watch to my nephew.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I keep hoping to see Jack get his comeuppance with all this little-wifey jazz he pulls. HEY JACK MY PLANE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS! WHAT'S THE MATTER, WHY AREN'T YA SMILIN?

I wonder if Mr. von Stroheim looked at today's "Terry" and said "Vot iss der big idear?" The resemblance is disturbing.

I've seen people wear berets like that, though -- it's a variation called a "boina." Red Barber will wear one during Dodger telecasts in the early fifties just because Walter F. O'Malley tells him not to.

I have been having a rough past several days on many fronts, and was wallowing in a bog of despair this morning. And then I imagined Eleanor Roosevelt and Henry Morgenthau dancing the rhumba together and life looked just a little bit brighter.

(And then I went outside and saw that the ice storm broke my clothesline. Should have brought the sheets in yesterday.)

(JPEG Image, 273 × 184 pixels).jpg

"Screw you, whalebelly."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="LizzieMaine, post: 2778791, member: 13]

I have been having a rough past several days on many fronts, and was wallowing in a bog of despair this morning. [/QUOTE]

I secretly adore Gilmore Girls-but nobody knows this-and have a crush on Suki, and Loreli's advice
for wallowing is with a large bowl of ice cream. I recommend Haagen-Dazs Butter-Pecan.
When ya gotta wallow, can't beat HD BP. Haagen-Dazs Caramel is also good for when ya gotta wallow.

Hope all is better today.

[QUOTE="LizzieMaine, post: 2778791, member: 13]

I have been having a rough past several days on many fronts, and was wallowing in a bog of despair this morning.

I secretly adore Gilmore Girls-but nobody knows this-and have a crush on Suki, and Loreli's advice
for wallowing is with a large bowl of ice cream. I recommend Haagen-Dazs Butter-Pecan.
When ya gotta wallow, can't beat HD BP. Haagen-Dazs Caramel is also good for when ya gotta wallow.

Hope all is better today.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen a single episode, nor every episode of "Gilmore Girls," nor did I watch the follow-up "special" made several years later, nor do I have any idea if this is one of the funniest moments from the show, since I've never seen an episode:
c62440651e7f6746fdcee05a419926b2.gif

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Communist Party secretary Earl Browder will serve a four-year Federal prison term and pay a fine of $2000 for violations of passport laws, following a Supreme Court ruling today denying his appeal of last year's conviction on those charges. The Government contended that he lied on a passport application in 1934 by swearing he had not previously held such a document, but that he had traveled under passports issued under aliases in 1921, 1927, and 1931. Mr. Browder has appealed that conviction in Federal Circuit Court in New York, and when that appeal was rejected, to the Supreme Court -- which today issued its ruling upholding the conviction without dissent. The 8-0 decision was read by Justice Stanley F. Reed. Justice Frank Murphy, former U. S. Attorney General, did not participate in the decision.

Mayor LaGuardia, clad in a welder's helmet and wearing heavy leather gloves, today applied the flame of an aceytlene torch to an L pillar to the cheers of an eager crowd -- but that L pillar was in Manhattan, not Brooklyn. The section of the old 2nd Avenue L north of 59th Street is coming down this week, following the removal of the 6th and 9th Avenue Ls as the third obsolete elevated rail structures to razed in Manhattan in as many years -- while in Brooklyn, the city's largest borough, the hulking ghost of the Fulton Street L continues to blight the downtown district. The Mayor used the occasion of the commencement of demolition work at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 76th Street to denounce "a secret group in Manhattan" for interfering with efforts to remove the Fulton Street L -- that reference being an obvious reference to the Citizen's Budget Commission, a private taxpayers' lobbying group that was responsible for the legal injunction that stopped the bus leases necessary to further the removal of the Fulton Street structure.

The body of a Queens businessman who had testified in Assistant Attorney General John H. Amen's probe of paving industry corruption was found today floating in the ocean off Coney Island. Fifty-year-old Gustave Brugel of 1623 Norman Street in Ridgewood was the president of the Brugel Construction Company and had been subpoenaed to appear before an Amen grand jury on February 13th, and that subpoena was found in his coat pocket when his body was recovered this morning. According to the Amen Office, Mr. Brugel did appear, and did testify on that date, but he failed to appear when summoned for a second appearance before the grand jury. Mr. Brugel's car was found by police parked on West 23rd Street between Surf Avenue and the Boardwalk, but neither the car nor Mr. Brugel's clothing yielded any suicide note. An assistant attorney in the Amen Office described Mr. Brugel as a "routine witness" in the corruption probe.

Winter staged a local comeback today, with the first heavy snowfall to blanket the borough in a month. Snow is expected to continue thru the rest of the afternoon and into the evening, with local temperatures not expected to exceed 32 degrees.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_.jpg

(Unless, alas, she has chronic bronchitis. *HACK!* *KAFF!* *AWK!*)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(1).jpg

(Sure, exercise. Yeah, that's it.)

"Reader," who is too upset to come up with a snappier name, writes in to tell Helen Worth that the worst homewreckers in the world are "hostesses and waitresses," who seem to have quite a current vogue as "glamour male-snatchers." After seeing a good friend, married for fifteen years, lose her husband to such a woman, Reader wants to see a law passed that would allow "husband snatchers" to be convicted of "jeopardizing the peace and security of the home," and says such "dames" need to get back all the trouble they create with their ways. Helen, gawdblesser, says "don't forget, the husband is as much to blame here as 'the other woman.'" A man doesn't stray unless he *wants* to.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(2).jpg

(I thought they weren't drafting forty-five-year-olds yet.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(3).jpg
(Yes indeed, 99 percent of my wardrobe, right here.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(4).jpg

(Mr. Sweeney Schriner -- hockey player or Lichty character? YOU DECIDE.)

Leo Durocher and Ducky Medwick are more than just friends, they're close bosom pals, going all the way back to their days with the old Gas House Gang in St. Louis. But even friendship has its limits, and when Lippy told the Duck to put away his golf sticks and keep them put away for the duration of Spring Training, it went over hard. Leo does not approve of traning-camp golf, as he made clear last year when he told pitcher Wes Ferrell to put down the clubs or go home, and his rules apply just as strictly to Mr. Medwick, who, it must be said, loves the Scottish game dearly. But Leo says it wasn't just last summer's beaning that threw off the Duck's timing at the plate -- it was too much golf, which disturbed the arc of the muscular Hungarian's baseball swing, and like it or note, Joe is going get that swing back into proper form this spring or else. Durocher emphasized his point by giving every man on the club permission to play an occasional round of on their own time, and if they show up the next morning on the ballfield ready to play -- every man, that is, except Medwick. Last year, says Leo, Medwick would lead up to a night game by playing 36 holes of golf, and he'd end up going 0-for-4. Not this year he won't.

Joe Louis will defend his heavyweight title tonight in Philadelphia against somebody named Gus Dorazio. They seem to love this guy in Philly, but few outside of the City of Brotherly Love have ever heard of him, and there is essentially no betting action leading up to the fight. If you want to put some money down on Dorazio, you can pretty much name your own odds.

Radio kiddie favorite Uncle Don Carney heads to Miami this week for a long-needed vacation, but the tiny tots needn't fear. Their Uncle has left behind an ample supply of electrical transcriptions to keep the nightly WOR broadcasts going, and kiddies will still find that Uncle will still tell them to look behind the radio for their birthday presents, whether he is "live" or "on a platter."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(5).jpg
("No one who sees him can resist his synthetic charm." It's kinda sweet that Sparky is so pure and decent that it's never even occurred to him to run for office.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(6).jpg
(Ever notice that the only facial expression poor Peggy ever seems to have is that of one who has been poked between the eyes with a sharp stick? There's a reason.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(7).jpg
(Please, sister. We remember how you put Leona in her place. I don't imagine some Girl From Marketing would be able to give you much of a fight.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(8).jpg
(I thought from Panel Two that The Skull might now be The FLAMING Skull, and thought that would be kinda neat. But I guess Marsh just doesn't have the special effects budget to keep it up.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_.jpg
US aid money being skimmed by the Kuomintang? Hey Caniff, there's a storyline for ya! And viz. the Neighbors, it looks like Lillums isn't the only one with a mother like that. And incidentially, may I say once again there is no cartoonist anywhere, any time, who draws teenage girls more accurately than George Clark.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(1).jpg

(A survey will soon conclude that when people think of the name "Philip Morris," the first thing that comes to their mind is "irritation." Hehehehehehehehhe.)

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(2).jpg

Harp and Fading, is this you?

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(3).jpg
Boy, it sure didn't take long to get those Government defense contracts nailed down. Daddy must have a helluva lobbying organization.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(4).jpg
The image of Tracy bellywhopping along the icy lake for some reason makes me happy.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(5).jpg
Sure, that's it. Hit the manager. Kick the manager. Damn actors. It's always with the hitting and the kicking, isn't it? We're just trying to do our jobs, and what thanks do we get?

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(6).jpg
Burma knows how to play the game -- and the player.

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(7).jpg

Oh jeez. My first thought here was "National Defense needs a guy who sells can openers?" And my second thought was "Of course they do."

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(8).jpg

***sigh***

Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(9).jpg
And if you think the mob back east was something, wait'll you get mixed up with this bunch.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(1).jpg
(Sure, exercise. Yeah, that's it.)...

They are not even making a half-hearted attempt to hide what's going on here. Joe, Sally, any thoughts?

..."Reader," who is too upset to come up with a snappier name, writes in to tell Helen Worth that the worst homewreckers in the world are "hostesses and waitresses," who seem to have quite a current vogue as "glamour male-snatchers." After seeing a good friend, married for fifteen years, lose her husband to such a woman, Reader wants to see a law passed that would allow "husband snatchers" to be convicted of "jeopardizing the peace and security of the home," and says such "dames" need to get back all the trouble they create with their ways. Helen, gawdblesser, says "don't forget, the husband is as much to blame here as 'the other woman.'" A man doesn't stray unless he *wants* to....

One, I agree with Helen re the husband's responsibility and, two, "good friend," sure, yeah, uh-huh.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(3).jpg (Yes indeed, 99 percent of my wardrobe, right here.)...

As we note here often, it is the everyday dresses form the '30s and '40s that have stood the test of time. There are several similar ones in my girlfriend's closet right now.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(7).jpg (Please, sister. We remember how you put Leona in her place. I don't imagine some Girl From Marketing would be able to give you much of a fight.)...

But now Sue has to worry about all those hostesses and waitresses when Ted's out at a business dinner.

[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(8).jpg (I thought from Panel Two that The Skull might now be The FLAMING Skull, and thought that would be kinda neat. But I guess Marsh just doesn't have the special effects budget to keep it up.)

I bet Nick is jealous that Crimp and Clipper got the cool henchmen names.

... Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(1).jpg
(A survey will soon conclude that when people think of the name "Philip Morris," the first thing that comes to their mind is "irritation." Hehehehehehehehhe.)....

George Brent is talking with his lawyer right now about suing Philip Morris for using his likeness in the guy farthest to the right.
George_Brent_1-M-2004.jpg

... Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(2).jpg
Harp and Fading, is this you?...

"Don't be ridiculous," Fading Fast says as he frantically tosses a file whose partial title looks like "Copy of letter to the N..." into the fireplace). "I would never do something so silly."

[Heard from the other room] "Dear, did they print your letter in the News?"

"Shh, shh, not now."

... Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(3).jpg Boy, it sure didn't take long to get those Government defense contracts nailed down. Daddy must have a helluva lobbying organization....

8iVl.gif

A...[ Daily_News_Mon__Feb_17__1941_(8)-2.jpg
***sigh***....

I'm glad I, I mean someone, wrote that letter to the News.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I concur with the professorial views expressed above with sole caveat being Harold as suitor.

...and the exercise bicycle or whatever that thing is, quite a ride.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Joe looks at that picture and says "Hey, you know them booklets I sen' away for outa t' backa Popula Mechanics? T'ones I had inna drawa unna my socks? I t'ink I seena pitcha o' sump'n jus' like 'at in wunna t'em." Sally says "T'at's why my ma wun' lemme have a bicycle."

Hey Harold, those pants really make your butt look fat.

If Wumple has any brains at all, he's going to put Snipe in charge of the company from here on. Maybe Lana can go to work there too.

Haversack

One Too Many
I still have mine with my dog tags. Its been years since I wore them though. One mod I made for it was a small paracord bag that the P-38 slipped inside. Getting stabbed in the chest by the little flip-out blade got old.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I still have mine with my dog tags. Its been years since I wore them though. One mod I made for it was a small paracord bag that the P-38 slipped inside. Getting stabbed in the chest by the little flip-out blade got old.

I first hung it with the dog tags, then switched to key chain upon reentrance civilianhood.
Lost one of the tags to a girlfriend. Still have the single tag. The opener more often doubled as a beer
can tab wedge and screwdriver. Handy little ba***rd.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
After a zip through the Last Flick Watched thread I nominate Gloria Graham as Burma,
perfectly cast brazen sexual creature and predatory off screen cougar Eros supplicant for the film.
Nancy Kwan can play Hu Shee. :D

After a zip through the Last Flick Watched thread I nominate Gloria Graham as Burma,
perfectly cast brazen sexual creature and predatory off screen cougar Eros supplicant for the film.
Nancy Kwan can play Hu Shee. :D

Interesting call of Graham as Burma - I like it.

I see Lizabeth Scott as Raven since she looks just like her.

I "discovered" Nancy Kwan in a TCM flick "Fate is the Hunter," in the early '90s and, you are right, she's special and would make a heck of a Hu Shee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran