Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oops, the UPS man came to the door before I was finished posting, and I lost track.

Daily_News_Wed__May_14__1941_(10).jpg
I know Ma Teen is not as venal as Lena-Liz Lovewell, so I didn't expect her to snap to attention like Nosferatu at the mention of a gold mine. The best thing Gramps can do right now is elope with Pruny and catch the next train out of town.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^I'd forgotten all about our chastised boy.
Lana's leave and forlorn lost love scored another arrow out of Cupid's quiver. A tough loss but the kid has a war
ahead of him, so red meat, hard liquor, and soft beautiful women seem beyond reach for the duration.

Side bar nota bene....Terry seemingly never imbibes; still a cherry running around China, all platonic plot,
always bark but no bite. Caniff's got this kid tied too tight to this prepubescent script.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Great Britain today expressed official belief that Adolf Hitler knew of Rudolf Hess's incredible flight to Scotland, even as the British Government rejected any effort to secure a peace on Axis terms. Prime Minister Winston Churchill continues to withhold comment on the astonishing flight by the No. 3 Nazi, but he permitted Minister of Labor Ernest Bevins to issue a statement condemning Hess as "a murderer," who came to Britain with Hitler's full knowledge, and further declaring that Hess "is no man I would ever negotiate with and I don't change even for diplomatic reasons." Meanwhile, Prime Minister Churchill appeared before the Commons to state that he will make "an extended statement" on the matter of Hess at "the first opportunity compatible with public interest on the case." The Prime Minister also indicated that he would have a statement on the involvement of the Duke of Hamilton in the Hess affair, after it was learned yesterday that Hess had written a letter to the Duke three months ago urging an end to the war. The Duke followed that letter by writing a letter himself to the Times of London, urging "living space" for Germany and recommending an end to the war "as soon as German aggression has been overcome."

Fifty Scots have been arrested by the Criminal Investigation Division of Scotland Yard and charged with involvement with "a small and not dangerous nationalist movement," but only three remained in custody today. There is no official word on whether the sweep by Scotland Yard is connected in any way to the Hess incident.

Marshal Henri Petain told France in a broadcast address tonight that France must collaborate with Germany in establishing a "new order" in both Europe and Africa. Marshal Petain stated that he "approved in principle" the German plan to turn the African continent into "a great colonial pool to feed Europe with raw materials."

The name of Mrs. Bernice Lawrence of 519 McDougal Street will appear on the presidential ballot of the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs after no one appeared in Brooklyn Supreme Court this morning to challenge efforts by her supporters to ensure her place on that ballot. Justice Charles C. Lockwood ruled in Mrs. Lawrence's favor by default and ordered papers drawn up directing Mrs. John Sengstacken of Plandome, L . I., chairwoman of the Nominating Committee to see to the necessary arrangements. Mrs. Sengstacken was served with papers directing her to appear in the courtroom this morning to answer the suit filed by Mrs. Lawrence's supporters, but she failed to do so. When the Court Clerk called Mrs. Sengstacken's name, several women in the courtroom as spectators momentarily looked up, but when questioned by Justice Lockwood, they replied that they were not interested in the case. Mrs. Lawrence declared that she planned to have the written order by Justice Lockwood served on Mrs. Sengstacken, as well as on the present President of the L. I. F. W. C., Mrs. Fordyce Charles Dietz of Farmingdale, and on her opponent for the Presidency, Mrs. Walter Horn of Hollis.

An Army sergeant and two first-class privates are missing and possibly drowned following the collision of an Army steam launch and a railroad carfloat in the East River this morning. The crash occured at 9:20 AM under the Manhattan Bridge, near the foot of Adams and Main Streets. The three missing soldiers were assigned to the Overseas Replacement Depot at Fort Slocum in New Rochelle, and were returning to their base after towing an Army boat from Port Washington to Governors Island.

The Dodgers have optioned second baseman Alex Kampouris to their Montreal farm club in the International League as Manager Leo Durocher made his final move to cut the Brooklyn roster to the 25-man limit. Yesterday, catcher Angelo Guiliani was optioned to Minneapolis in the American Association, and earlier in the week, pitcher Van Mungo was sent to Montreal and outfielder Paul Waner was handed his unconditional release. Kampouris, acquired from the Newark Bears last fall, opened the season at second base for the Dodgers, but a back injury forced him out of the lineup, and the subsequent acquisition of Billy Herman kept him on the bench. The Dodgers will retain second baseman Pete Coscarart, a regular in 1939 and 1940, for the time being, although his name remains prominent in trade rumors.

("Poor Kampanopolis, goin' ta' Minneapolis," chants Sally. "Aw, be nice," mutters Joe.)

The city's Chief Engineer backed plans to widen Hicks Street in a report to the Board of Estimate today. Under those plans, the whole city will carry sixty percent of the cost of the project, with the remaining forty percent to be assessed against the Borough of Brooklyn.

The $18-a-week clerk who found a roll of cash totaling $7500 earlier this month and turned it in to the police has received a reward for her honesty. Kathryn Los of 1074 Manhattan Avenue in Greenpoint was given a check this morning for $1000 by Edward F. Dunn, Manhattan realtor, who proved to the satisfaction of police that the cash was his.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_.jpg

Four thousand persons heard speakers urge the United States to stay out of the European War, as the Brooklyn chapter of America First held a rally last night at the Academy of Music. Keynote speaker Philip F. LaFollette of Wisconsin took the platform to demand that President Roosevelt dismiss Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson and Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox. "The President could not do better to preserve national unity," declared the former Wisconsin Governor, "than to fire these two jokers who are running wild in the New Deal. They would take us into war." LaFollette further called upon the President to take the air during his upcoming May 27th broadcast and state that he will "keep his pledge" to "keep the United States out of war."

Louis "Lepke" Buchalter was accused today of ordering the murder of gangland figure Al "Plug" Sherman, and of seeking the official authorization of the Brooklyn Murder For Money Gang to have Sherman rubbed out in that gang's "territory." So charged Assistant District Attorney Julius Hefland in Kings County Court today in the murder trial of accused gunman Irving "Knadles" Nitzberg. Shuman was found dead behind the wheel of a car near a vacant lot in upper Manhattan on January 9, 1939. Prosecutor Hefland charged that Sherman was eliminated after turning police informant, and that Buchalter participated in a series of meetings to plan the killing. Hefland also indicated that he would call star witness Abe "Kid Twist" Reles and Murder For Money associates Albert "Allie" Tannenbaum and Seymour "Bluejaw" McGoon to testify in support of that claim.

Striving to please smokers and non-smokers alike, the Long Island Rail Road today posted signs designating cars as "smoking" or "non-smoking." Smokers may indulge their habit in cars posted with green signs, but smoking is prohibited in all cars marked by red signs. All 1300 cars on the LIRR have been brought into compliance with the new policy, with the ratio of smoking to non-smoking cars established after a survey of passengers.

A bill to re-establish Daylight Saving Time on a nationwide basis for the first time since 1919 is now before the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce. The measure sponsored by Brooklyn Representative Eugene J. Keogh has received the endorsement of the Association of American Railroads, the Merchants Association of New York, the National Association of Broadcasters, and other business organizations. Under the bill, Daylight Saving Time would be observed nationally from the last Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(1).jpg
(Five-Day-Week = "Please don't strike us!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(2).jpg

("Babies don't come out of your belly button." -- my mother, when I was eight. At least she tried.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(3).jpg

(A live Broadway revue and a B-movie for 28 cents. You can't say "it's been done before.")

Reader Lester Fox writes in to complain about the "inadequate 40 watt bulbs" that light the city's subway cars, making them seem even dingier and gloomier than they are. And do you know how hard it is to read your paper under those lights?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(4).jpg

(I've eaten here.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(5).jpg
(Leo will not tolerate outrageous antics. Hey Van, how's your French? Oh, and ha ha ha, knocking out Derringer in three innings? "This may go on forever!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(6).jpg

(In 2021, Sparky would have his own cable channel.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(7).jpg
(Before this is over, Jo is going to kill somebody. The only question is who.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(8).jpg
(SIX LANE HIGHWAY! SIX LANE HIGHWAY!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(9).jpg
("I'm not just a lawyer, I'm also a client.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_.jpg
Judging from the Princetonians I've met, this kid will fit right in.

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(1).jpg

Nedick's also was known for serving an excellent hot dog, a menu item conspicuously absent from most of its quickie-lunch competitors.

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(3).jpg

Interesting how Mr. All-caps from the "Presidential Battle Page" never seems to want for work....

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(4).jpg

"Look kid, my shift's over in ten minutes. The floor matron over there will be glad to help."

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(5).jpg
Hey Andy, what do you think about "Dogecoin?"

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(6).jpg
What will MI-5 think of next?

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(7).jpg
This could go on forever.

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(8).jpg
Dunno 'bout the rest of you, but I'm ready for Thyroid-Eyes Constable Guy here to take over the whole strip.

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(9).jpg

"Who? That little brat who put the rubber lizard in my shoe?"

Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(10).jpg
Murder-For-Money's Los Angeles branch is open for business. Oh, and "Say, Boy" *and* the crap-shooting stereotype? Distasteful, but alas, that was the mode of the times. (And yet, note how casual Mush is with this guy. That was *not* the expected mode of the times.)

...The name of Mrs. Bernice Lawrence of 519 McDougal Street will appear on the presidential ballot of the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs after no one appeared in Brooklyn Supreme Court this morning to challenge efforts by her supporters to ensure her place on that ballot. Justice Charles C. Lockwood ruled in Mrs. Lawrence's favor by default and ordered papers drawn up directing Mrs. John Sengstacken of Plandome, L . I., chairwoman of the Nominating Committee to see to the necessary arrangements. Mrs. Sengstacken was served with papers directing her to appear in the courtroom this morning to answer the suit filed by Mrs. Lawrence's supporters, but she failed to do so. When the Court Clerk called Mrs. Sengstacken's name, several women in the courtroom as spectators momentarily looked up, but when questioned by Justice Lockwood, they replied that they were not interested in the case. Mrs. Lawrence declared that she planned to have the written order by Justice Lockwood served on Mrs. Sengstacken, as well as on the present President of the L. I. F. W. C., Mrs. Fordyce Charles Dietz of Farmingdale, and on her opponent for the Presidency, Mrs. Walter Horn of Hollis....

Still amazed the judge didn't throw this entire nonsense out of court right at the start.

...The $18-a-week clerk who found a roll of cash totaling $7500 earlier this month and turned it in to the police has received a reward for her honesty. Kathryn Los of 1074 Manhattan Avenue in Greenpoint was given a check this morning for $1000 by Edward F. Dunn, Manhattan realtor, who proved to the satisfaction of police that the cash was his....

Well done by all.

...Striving to please smokers and non-smokers alike, the Long Island Rail Road today posted signs designating cars as "smoking" or "non-smoking." Smokers may indulge their habit in cars posted with green signs, but smoking is prohibited in all cars marked by red signs. All 1300 cars on the LIRR have been brought into compliance with the new policy, with the ratio of smoking to non-smoking cars established after a survey of passengers....

Time for the Lizzie catchphrase, "Coming Events Cast Their Shadows Before...."

When I commuted into NYC in the '80s, this was pretty much the setup. Sometimes, you had to walk through the smoking car to get to the non-smoking car: owing to the concentration of smokers, the smoking car was a thick fug that, even when you only passed through it quickly, clung to your clothes long afterwards.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_15__1941_(7).jpg (Before this is over, Jo is going to kill somebody. The only question is who.)...

She should take them both out; they can only send her to the chair once.

And she could take a shot at the temporary insanity defense anyway. A reasonable jury could be convinced.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_.jpg Judging from the Princetonians I've met, this kid will fit right in....

My "alma mater," working-class Rutgers University, was twenty minutes and massive cultural divide away from the ivy-clad walls of Princeton. The two schools were in different universes.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(3)-2.jpg
Interesting how Mr. All-caps from the "Presidential Battle Page" never seems to want for work....

Amazing, as it's very ineffective when overused. You would think a professional writer would know that - or his/her editor would tell him/her so.

.... Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(4).jpg
"Look kid, my shift's over in ten minutes. The floor matron over there will be glad to help."....

Oh, that's cold Lizzie.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(5).jpg Hey Andy, what do you think about "Dogecoin?"...

Again, 100 shares of a $35 or so stock.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(7).jpg This could go on forever....

I always thought the stress of worrying about if a toupee was on "right," etc., would be exhausting - just like comb-overs, etc. It seems that would be worse than just letting nature take its course. But I still have a full head of hair, so it's easy for me to talk.

... Daily_News_Thu__May_15__1941_(10).jpg Murder-For-Money's Los Angeles branch is open for business. Oh, and "Say, Boy" *and* the crap-shooting stereotype? Distasteful, but alas, that was the mode of the times. (And yet, note how casual Mush is with this guy. That was *not* the expected mode of the times.)

I have no doubt you are correct, but I thought the shooting craps thing was pretty common across most classes and races in the '30s and '40s. It's certainly portrayed that way in the movies. Cagney must have shot craps in half his earlier films.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Quite true re crap-shooting, but for one reason or another it's gotten specifically pegged as a "Black stereotype" thing. The fact that it was sometimes referred to as "African dominoes" during the Era is a likely contributor to that, or at least evidence of what the common perception was at the time. "Rochester" used to get big laughs on the radio with crap-shooting jokes until Mr. Benny asked the writers to lay off that kind of stuff.

My brother, whose experience with dice extended no further than kitchen-table games of Yahtzee, got taken for every cent he had on the way to Fort Jackson during his ill-fated stretch in the Army. So the stereotype that the game is popular with soldiers, as seen in dozens of movies of the Era, cannot be totally written off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
President Roosevelt today in effect defied Germany to make its blockade of the Red Sea effective and recalled that the United States had twice fought undeclared wars on similar issues. The Unites States is preparing to send 72 cargo ships into the Red Sea with supplies for the British Army in the Middle East. In preparation Germany has declared the area a combat zone, and warns that it will "prey on all shipping" sent into that area. The President stated that "Germany's problem in this case is to make its blockade effective."

The Royal Air Force has attacked and damaged or destroyed German airplanes on three airdromes in Central Syria, it was officially disclosed today. British attacks against the Syrian airdromes at Palmyra, Rayak, and Damascus began today.

Shocked eyebrows were raised today at the election meeting of the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs at the Garden City Hotel, as attorney Harry Goebel of Brooklyn walked silently up the aisle among a packed crowd of clubwomen, and served a court order on Mrs. Fordyce Charles Dietz, Federation president, commanding the placement of the name of Mrs. Bernice Lawrence of Brooklyn on the ballot. The crowd erupted with boos and hisses as Mr. Goebel served the papers, and mutters of "it's scandalous!" could be heard from several sections of the audience. After Mr. Goebel examined the ballots and found them in compliance with the order, voting began, and early results suggested that Mrs. Walter Horn of Hollis, the candidate favored by Federation regulars, seemed to have a commanding lead. The promotion of Mrs. Lawrence's candidacy is the result of a Brooklyn faction declaring that "the time has come for a Brooklyn president" in the group long dominated by Long Island interests.

Testimony outlining Louis "Lepke" Buchalter's role in planning the murder of gangland informer Al "Plug" Shuman came today in Kings County Court from Abe "Kid Twist" Reles, prime witness against high-ranking operatives of the Brooklyn Murder For Hire gang. Reles' testimony today in the trial of accused gunman Irving "Knadles" Nitzberg placed Buchalter in the commanding position in the slaying, with the witness stating that Buchalter ordered Shuman eliminated after Shuman was seen by fellow gangster Emanual "Mendy" Weiss leaving Brooklyn police headquarters in the company of Inspector Michael McDermott. Shuman was shot in Upper Manhattan on January 9, 1939, after Buchalter, according to Reles, assigned Nitzberg to do the job and "do it clean."

Important documents that may reveal whether Rudolf Hess is "a traitor to the Nazi regime" or "a murderer" who flew to Scotland with the full knowledge of Adolf Hitler are under examination today at the highest levels of the British Government. Meanwhile, Hess himself is being held incommunicado, to ensure that no message, information, or "influences," from Germany may reach him.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_.jpg

("Nah, ya droppin' ya shoulda too low! Ya ain'gonnaget no launch angle!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(1).jpg

(Gotta move out those 1940 models too.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(2).jpg

(And the sad part of this is, I can guarantee to you that there is, in 1941, a woman reading this who had to get married at fifteen, now has eight kids to raise, and is bound for an early grave from the exhaustion of it all, and is saying "Sex education?? In the schools? WHY THE VERY IDEA!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(3).jpg

("Y'know what I REALLY want right now?" asks Sally, as she dips a fat, fresh double-sour into the gravy. "I wanna go steppin'!" "Ummmmmm...." replies Joe. "Yeah! I know!" she growls back. "Five anna half mont's gone an' I can't have no fun at all. An' t'ree anna half more mont's a' t'is! I ASK YA!" "Well, I s'poze we c'd waltz..." replies Joe. "Nahhhh," grouches Sally, biting off half the pickle in one snap. "Wherza funnin'at?"

The Eagle Editorialist advises discounting all "official versions of the Hess mystery," noting that there seem to be official efforts by both the British and the German governments to "direct the attention of the public" in various directions, which all seem to differ in some way or another with the known facts. Therefore, one is best advised to "use one's own judgement" in determining what to believe.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(4).jpg

(It's a true fact: many Native American tribes don't carry the gene that induces male-pattern baldness.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(5).jpg
(It really is astonishing that here we are over a month into the season and Fitzsimmons hasn't thrown a single pitch yet. He's gonna get the feeling Leo doesn't love him anymore.)

Rudy Vallee has a well-earned reputation for thrift, and it extends to his wardrobe. Rudy won't pay more than $35 for a suit, and usually doesn't even go higher than $29.50. And yet he has the reputation of being one of the best-dressed men in Hollywood. He draws the line at ties, however, saying "49 cents always looks like 49 cents." In one scene in his current Universal picture "Too Many Blondes," Rudy appears to good effect in one of his $35 tuxedoes, but when the script called for him to run into the sea wearing the suit he refused to do it, not wanting to ruin his clothes. The studio had to have the suit copied, at a cost of $300 for two replicas, in order to finish shooting the picture.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(6).jpg

(I don't know what the deal is with Brunette Nurse, but she's gonna find that those buttons will make that uniform awful uncomfortable to sit down in.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(7).jpg
(Yep, there's no doubt now. It's some combination of 1.) Counterfeit, 2.) Confederate, and 3.) Lindbergh ransom money.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(8).jpg

(Mary vs. Sleazy Real Estate Developer? I am SO in.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(9).jpg

(Seriously, I don't see how Kay can stand upright the way he's drawing her now.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_.jpg
I'll be really glad to see Cvek go wherever it is that he's going. And Nazi agents conspiring with a high-ranking Legionnaire? I'm shocked, shocked. And as for Countess di Frazzo, well, why not join the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs? I think you'd fit right in fine.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(1).jpg

When Easy Credit Terms aren't.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(3).jpg

Looking forward to the formation of the 101st Cake Eater Battalion.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(4).jpg
Ah, so now we see Daddy's real role -- it's to keep his henchmen from killing each other.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(5).jpg

I can't wait for Tracy's eyes to start bugging out.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(6).jpg

And just like that Skeez is fourteen again.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(7).jpg
Y'know, Min, you *could* do better.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(8).jpg

Note "The Fool" in the hallway outside, and the expression on his face. Since Mr. Caniff does nothing without purpose, no doubt he still has a role to play in the outworking of events.

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(9).jpg
Even though it's the king of all gangster-movie cliches, it's not often that you actually get to see someone being "Taken For A Ride."

Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(10).jpg

Look, why don't you two kids just go down to the Sugar Bowl where you can be alone and....oh wait. Pruny broke poor old Pop's heart and left it lying in pieces on the floor. That's why not.

...Shocked eyebrows were raised today at the election meeting of the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs at the Garden City Hotel, as attorney Harry Goebel of Brooklyn walked silently up the aisle among a packed crowd of clubwomen, and served a court order on Mrs. Fordyce Charles Dietz, Federation president, commanding the placement of the name of Mrs. Bernice Lawrence of Brooklyn on the ballot. The crowd erupted with boos and hisses as Mr. Goebel served the papers, and mutters of "it's scandalous!" could be heard from several sections of the audience. After Mr. Goebel examined the ballots and found them in compliance with the order, voting began, and early results suggested that Mrs. Walter Horn of Hollis, the candidate favored by Federation regulars, seemed to have a commanding lead. The promotion of Mrs. Lawrence's candidacy is the result of a Brooklyn faction declaring that "the time has come for a Brooklyn president" in the group long dominated by Long Island interests....

Sayre's law states, in a formulation quoted by Charles Philip Issawi: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(3).jpg
("Y'know what I REALLY want right now?" asks Sally, as she dips a fat, fresh double-sour into the gravy. "I wanna go steppin'!" "Ummmmmm...." replies Joe. "Yeah! I know!" she growls back. "Five anna half mont's gone an' I can't have no fun at all. An' t'ree anna half more mont's a' t'is! I ASK YA!" "Well, I s'poze we c'd waltz..." replies Joe. "Nahhhh," grouches Sally, biting off half the pickle in one snap. "Wherza funnin'at?"...

Maybe the Garden City Hotel ad appealed to some people, but it just sounds like a depressing way to vacation.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(6).jpg
(I don't know what the deal is with Brunette Nurse, but she's gonna find that those buttons will make that uniform awful uncomfortable to sit down in.)...

Well, I'll be a dissolved capsule." Okay then.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(8).jpg
(Mary vs. Sleazy Real Estate Developer? I am SO in.)...

And in forty years, they'll be lamenting those factories, with all their good jobs, are closing down.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_16__1941_(9).jpg
(Seriously, I don't see how Kay can stand upright the way he's drawing her now.)

Youth and, even so, she is tilting forward a bit.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_.jpg I'll be really glad to see Cvek go wherever it is that he's going. And Nazi agents conspiring with a high-ranking Legionnaire? I'm shocked, shocked. And as for Countess di Frazzo, well, why not join the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs? I think you'd fit right in fine.....

If I followed the story correctly, a big "if," then Countess di Frazzo, basically, announced to the world that her gigolo reneged on her. She probably would have been better off taking the $2000 hit and staying silent. And, God bless Page Four.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(3).jpg
Looking forward to the formation of the 101st Cake Eater Battalion.....

She's right though, never show up empty handed.

... Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(8).jpg
Note "The Fool" in the hallway outside, and the expression on his face. Since Mr. Caniff does nothing without purpose, no doubt he still has a role to play in the outworking of events....

Good catch. Also, what does "Got more heels in your clique?" mean? The German understands it; I don't. Is she saying, I'm the only woman you have working for you so you have to keep me alive for certain jobs?

The adultness of T&TP is striking. Basically, today's synopsis is this: if Burma wants to live, she has to sleep with the engineer Wolfe so that the Germans can blackmail him. Paraphrasing Lizzie, "look kids, the comics."

A... Daily_News_Fri__May_16__1941_(9).jpg Even though it's the king of all gangster-movie cliches, it's not often that you actually get to see someone being "Taken For A Ride."....

Possibly the best movie version one, with the famous "Leave the gun take the cannoli" line.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Gigolo" just about names it. But even more intriguing is Warner Bros. demanding that any money being sought be paid. Just what else is being covered up here? Studio fixers don't usually get involved in something so cheesy as this unless there's bigger stakes in play.

I think what Burma's saying is "do you have any more suspected spies in your organization you want me to investigate?" Heel as in "fink." And does Snoops ever actually open his eyes?

I think the "take him for a ride" cliche was introduced in "Lights Of New York," the very first all-talkie, turned out on a 49-cent budget by Warners in 1928. Wheeler Oakman, an actor with a very threatening moustache and a very wooden delivery plays a bootlegger who instructs his henchman to dispose of a troublesome meddler by saying "Take....him....for............a...ride." It's hard to convey the utter and absolute stiltednesss of the delivery, but if you've ever seen the picture you know the scene. From little acorns do mighty oaks grow.

(Additional quality content: "Lights of NY" also features none other than Eugene Pallette, skinnier than you've ever seen him, as a dopey small-town barber who gets mixed up in the gangster plot, and the extraordinary Gladys Brockwell as the talking screen's first gun moll.)

"Gigolo" just about names it. But even more intriguing is Warner Bros. demanding that any money being sought be paid. Just what else is being covered up here? Studio fixers don't usually get involved in something so cheesy as this unless there's bigger stakes in play....

Agreed and that was hinted at by the Countress' line about having "powerful social connections in Hollywood..."

...I think what Burma's saying is "do you have any more suspected spies in your organization you want me to investigate?" Heel as in "fink." And does Snoops ever actually open his eyes?...

Makes sense. Thank you.

"...I think the "take him for a ride" cliche was introduced in "Lights Of New York," the very first all-talkie, turned out on a 49-cent budget by Warners in 1928. Wheeler Oakman, an actor with a very threatening moustache and a very wooden delivery plays a bootlegger who instructs his henchman to dispose of a troublesome meddler by saying "Take....him....for............a...ride." It's hard to convey the utter and absolute stiltednesss of the delivery, but if you've ever seen the picture you know the scene. From little acorns do mighty oaks grow.

(Additional quality content: "Lights of NY" also features none other than Eugene Pallette, skinnier than you've ever seen him, as a dopey small-town barber who gets mixed up in the gangster plot, and the extraordinary Gladys Brockwell as the talking screen's first gun moll.)

Good stuff. And, probably, the silent movies have some even earlier version. It seems whenever we think we've gotten to the "original," some earlier version eventually pops up.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Reports circulating in diplomatic quarters state today that skirmishing has broken out between British and French colonial forces on the frontier of Palestine and Syria. Earlier dispatches had indicated that fighting was "likely to break out at any time." At the same time it was announced in Government quarters in Istanbul that Turkey has "taken suitable measures" along its eastern frontiers as the result of latest developments in the Middle East. There is considerable speculation in the Turkish capital over whether any fighting between British and French forces would develop into anything more than "token resistance" by the French. It is asserted that many French troops in Syria are "in sympathy with the Free French movement."

In London the Ministry of Home Security reported today that 6,095 civilians were killed and 6,926 were injured sufficiently to require hospitalization during Nazi bombing raids over Britain during the month of April. The Ministry also reports that 61 persons are missing and presumed dead.

As France proclaimed its "right to collaborate with the winner in order to reorganize continental Europe," London hinted that the R. A. F. is ready to bomb Paris if circumstances so warrant. The statement from the government at Vichy came in response to President Roosevelt's appeal to the French people to "shun the Axis powers." The comments from Vichy came as the diplomatic correspondent of London's Daily Express indicated that "important decisions" on possible British air strikes against Paris and other French targets "may be announced" if Vichy takes a formal stand alongside Germany.

The Vichy government continued its efforts to purge all Jews from the legal economy in France, releasing a new list today of Jewish business owners and directors who have been ousted from their companies. Jewish merchants including butchers, tailors, peddlers, and retail-shop owners, are now barred from doing business anywhere in France. Vichy authorities are continuing their roundup of foreign Jews in France, including some 1500 Spanish Republicans, who were given the choice of returning to Spain -- where they will be shot -- or being sent to concentration camps. Almost 5000 foreign Jews in France have already been sent to a Nazi concentration camp at Orleans. It was also announced that German occupation authorities have given permission for Jewish refugees under arrest in France to leave the country -- if they are issued visas to enter the Americas.

Thirteen cats stood vigil over the dead body of a retired Erasmus Hall High School teacher today in Midwood. Miss Estelle Vedder, who taught biology at the Flatbush high school for 35 years until her retirement in 1938, was found this morning by neighbors concerned by the accumulation of untouched birthday presents wrapped and sitting outside her door at 108 Kenilworth Place. The 73-year-old teacher was found dead inside the house, surrounded by the cats who had been her only companions since her retirement. Miss Vedder, though beloved by generations of Erasmus students, is reported to have no living relatives in Brooklyn, and her only known relative, a sister, is said to live in Illinois.

("We called her 'Aunt Stella,'" sniffles Sally thru flowing tears. "An' who's gonna take care of her cats? Maybe we c'd take one a' two? And Joe, standing by the door with his hands in his pockets, shifts uncomfortably from one foot to the other and says "Maybe one.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_.jpg

The fracas over the presidential election for the Long Island Federation of Women's Clubs may not be over, after Mrs. Walter L. Horn of Hollis was elected to the position by a margin of nearly a hundred votes over her challenger, Mrs. Bernice Lawrence of Brooklyn, after a court order forced the placement of Mrs. Lawrence's name on the ballot. Mrs. Horn defeated Mrs Lawrence 198 votes to 100, out of 299 ballots cast, with all other positions on the ballot uncontested. Mrs. Lawrence, president of the Brooklyn Illuminati, was at the center of a rebellion by Brooklyn delegates to the L. I. F. W. C.'s convention demanding local representation in the affairs of the organization, but only two Brooklyn candidates were elected, with Mrs. Edward L. Denton chosen to be First Vice President and Mrs. Walter R. Jones to serve as Historian. Some 300 clubwomen attended the convention at the Garden City Hotel, based on the theme "Educating Women Toward A Broader Outlook," but the election controversy proved the dominating topic of conversation, with extensive discussion of the parliamentary procedures for placing the names of candidates in nomination and whether those procedures were properly followed in the matter of Mrs. Lawrence's candidacy.

A "gun-crazy" Dyker Heights youth was sentenced to an indeterminate term in prison after walking into a bicycle store last month and firing two shots, Western-style, into the wall. 18-year-old Frederick Stevens of 1151 80th Street pleaded guilty to violation of the Sullivan Law. The youth's attorney argued that Stevens comes from "a fine family," but Justice Gustave Wieboldt in Special Sessions Court observed "so did Gordon Fawcett Hamby and Gerald Chapman," naming two notorious murderers of the 1920s who started out as "gun crazy boys."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(1).jpg

(After 49 years of service to the Brooklyn National League Baseball Club Inc., John Francis Collins will be fired by Walter F. O'Malley in 1952, after being accused of "irregularities" in the handling of World Series tickets. Mr. Collins will go to his grave denying that charge. Mr. Collins will be succeeded by Harold Parrott -- who in 1941 is an excellent sportswriter for the Eagle -- and Mr. Parrott will be fired by Mr. O'Malley in 1963 for the same reason. Hmmmmm.)

The Eagle Editorialist views with alarm a growing trend in America toward the wearing of monocles. According to a trade association of opticians, demand for monocles has risen by fifty percent in this country. Whether this means that three monocles were sold this year instead of two is not stated, but in any instance it is a trend to be deplored as unworthy of a "strong, virile race." The EE has not noticed any profusion of single-glass eyewear on the streets of Brooklyn, and until he sees John Cashmore, Mayor LaGuardia, or Larry MacPhail sporting monocoles and not looking foolish, he will continue to be doubtful about such reports.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(2).jpg

(Shoulda read that birth control pamphlet when you had the chance.)

Bare midriffs and grass-skirted swimsuits will be au fait for the younger set this summer according to fashion experts at Loeser's. The "Young Fashions for Young Brooklyn" show featured models parading in the latest beachwear, in the guise of "South Sea sirens in sea-ductive cottons." At the same time, slacks will be more popular than ever this season, for both town and country wear.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(9).jpg

(It didn't start with the internet.)

Tom Mix's horse will be auctioned off in Hollywood next week. The trained animal named Tony II, who replaced the original Tony The Wonder Horse upon that animal's retirement, appeared with the late movie cowboy in several films. Tony II heads a list of numerous household articles and other possessions to be sold for the benefit of the actor's estate. Mix was killed last October in an automobile accident in Arizona.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(3).jpg

(C'mon, Hig, get ahold of yourself. For this we paid $100,000?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(4).jpg

(Back when the FCC actually did was it was established to do. The mandatory liquidation of the Blue Network will lead to the formation of ABC.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(5).jpg

(You're not fooling us, this is Mr. Hodgers with a wig on and his moustache shaved off. He's not gonna give up till Hedy's married off.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(6).jpg
(Don't worry, there's a catch. There's always a catch.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(7).jpg

("Breathe that fresh country air!" Nobody likes a smartass, Bill.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(8).jpg
(Sorry, just visualizing Irwin with his tie sucked into a printing press.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_.jpg

"...but scoffed at the idea that it represented a last desperate attempt to win back Greta Garbo." Well now, didn't that sentence take an unexpected twist. And Marjorie Woodward -- Ed Wynn is on the phone for you with a job offer.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(1).jpg

But what about the Nazi agents?

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(4).jpg

SO THERE.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(2).jpg
Preston Sturges has nothing on Milton Caniff.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(5).jpg

Yeah, kid, you're s'posed to be plucky, so start plucking.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(6).jpg
Well isn't this shaping up to something nice.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(7).jpg

King puts so little detail into his faces, and yet they say so much.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(8).jpg
Nothing you haven't done every single day since 1917.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(9).jpg

Pop prays every night that of all the boys who hang out at his place, at least Shadow will be 4F.

Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(10).jpg

Lepke isn't going to like this.

...A "gun-crazy" Dyker Heights youth was sentenced to an indeterminate term in prison after walking into a bicycle store last month and firing two shots, Western-style, into the wall. 18-year-old Frederick Stevens of 1151 80th Street pleaded guilty to violation of the Sullivan Law. The youth's attorney argued that Stevens comes from "a fine family," but Justice Gustave Wieboldt in Special Sessions Court observed "so did Gordon Fawcett Hamby and Gerald Chapman," naming two notorious murderers of the 1920s who started out as "gun crazy boys."...

Yes, there is an outstanding B movie title "Gun Crazy" (comments here: #27691). It punches well above its B movie class.
236646-bf111e6df785ba53a92b707ca4e793cb.jpg

...The Eagle Editorialist views with alarm a growing trend in America toward the wearing of monocles. According to a trade association of opticians, demand for monocles has risen by fifty percent in this country. Whether this means that three monocles were sold this year instead of two is not stated, but in any instance it is a trend to be deplored as unworthy of a "strong, virile race." The EE has not noticed any profusion of single-glass eyewear on the streets of Brooklyn, and until he sees John Cashmore, Mayor LaGuardia, or Larry MacPhail sporting monocoles and not looking foolish, he will continue to be doubtful about such reports....

It's good to see all the real problems of the world have already been solved.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(2).jpg
(Shoulda read that birth control pamphlet when you had the chance.)...

It's got to be some sort of party as they all look too similar in age, at least one hopes so.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(5).jpg
(You're not fooling us, this is Mr. Hodgers with a wig on and his moustache shaved off. He's not gonna give up till Hedy's married off.)...

Why only "more than a third?" Does his cosmic-ray touch not work on some illnesses or did he not try? There is no more useless vow than that of a young man swearing off women.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_17__1941_(6).jpg (Don't worry, there's a catch. There's always a catch.)...

$100,000 in '41 = $1,800,000 today. As you note, it ain't gonna happen. And if it did, taxes, today anyway, would take at least half of it and probably more depending on where the Bungles live.

... Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(4).jpg SO THERE.....

The mistake here is lumping Lana and Lillums together.

...[ Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(8).jpg Nothing you haven't done every single day since 1917.....

"Does this X make me look fat?" The answer is always no. "Would you marry me again if Y?" The answer is always yes. This stuff isn't that hard.

... Daily_News_Sat__May_17__1941_(10).jpg
Lepke isn't going to like this.

Abe "Kid Twist" Reles will be the star witness at the trial.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^^^The spycraft angle leaves me cold. This case officer control or whatever he is, doesn't seem a Chiang man,
or even Kuomintang. Must be though. China's version of Noel Coward.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The immediate occupation of Dakar to prevent establishment of a German attack base in this hemisphere was demanded yesterday by Senator Claude Pepper (D-Fla.) following a conference with President Roosevelt. Sen. Pepper, who emphasized that his views do not reflect those of the President himself, made the statement coincident with a declaration by Secretary of State Cordell Hull that Administration apprehension over Franco-German collaboration is fully justified based on reports reaching the State Department. According to a report from the International News Service, French sources in London late last night stated that Germany has already taken over some of the port facilities in Dakar.

A seven-month flight from the horrors of Nazi Germany ended at a Brooklyn pier yesterday when Mr. and Mrs. Otto Suesser and their 20-year-old daughter Hilga arrived aboard the Philippine liner Dona Nita, now docked at Pier 2, Erie Basin. The Suesser family's odyssey took them three-quarters of the way around the globe as they were turned away by country after country to continue their wandering until they finally found a safe mooring in Brooklyn. Mr. Suesser was formerly a dealer in optical glass in Berlin, but fled the Nazi capital with his family to Moscow last October, and traveled by Trans-Siberian Railroad to Japan, where the Jewish Joint Committee helped them obtain a visa for Costa Rica. They sailed from Yokohama aboard the Japanese freighter Hie Maru, but were denied permission to come ashore at Panama and travel on to Costa Rica. After additional failed attempts to come ashore, the family received a visa for Ecuador, but could secure no passage to that country, and when they stopped at a Peruvian port they were again barred from landing. At that point, the Jewish Joint Committee managed to secure a visa for the family to enter the United States, and the Suessers boarded the Dona Nita at Balboa, along with a cargo of sugar, ham, and manganese. The vessel, bearing both the US and Philippine flags, was not stopped further until arriving yesterday at Brooklyn, marking an end to the Suesser's seven month voyage. The family hopes to travel on to San Francisco, where Mr. Suesser hopes to conduct his trade on the West Coast.

The United Mine Workers today called 100,000 anthracite coal miners to the picket lines in Pennsylvania, after wage-hour negotiations with 80 mine operators broke down. Mines producing 52,000,000 tons of hard coal per year will be idled by the strike, effective tomorrow morning. UMW President John L. Lewis further warned of a potential walkout by 350,000 soft-coal miners after continued negotiations toward wage and hour agreements with Southern coal operators stalled.

Resolutions calling on the United States to place an immediate embargo on all shipments of both primary and secondary war materials to Japan for as long as Japanese troops remain in China were submitted today to the annual New York East conference of the Methodist Church by the church's World Peace Committee. The resolutions were presented to Bishop Francis J. McConnell, who is presiding over the conference at the Hanson Place Methodist Church in Fort Greene.

The Duke of Hamilton insists that Rudolf Hess must have gotten him confused with "some other nobleman," and denies reports that he had a prior acquaintance with the No. 3 Nazi before Hess parachuted onto his estate in Scotland. The Duke denied specifically that he had met Hess at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, and responsible sources in Britain say that they are not inclined to question the accuracy of the Duke's memory on the matter. It is speculated that Hess might have confused the Duke of Hamilton with the Duke of Buccheluch, who, it was recalled, had met and was "friendly with" Hess before the war. The Duke of Buccheluch was Lord Steward at the Court of St. James before he was replaced in that position by the Duke of Hamilton last year. The Duke of Buccheluch has not commented on the Hess affair.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(1).jpg
(Give the gift that shows you care, sorta.)

Only a few Brooklyn College graduates are working in jobs they enjoy, and most are earning only an average of $1000 a year. So concluded a report on alumni who graduated from the College between 1932 and 1939, presented today by Dr. Harry Gideonse, College president. Most of the employed graduates are working in the commercial field, with a scattering of teachers, sales workers, lawyers, artists, and writers. The report concludes that more should be done by Brooklyn College to offer vocational courses, and that "iron-clad discipline" needs to be imposed to rid the school of "stump speakers, Bohemians, and long-haired agitators."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(2).jpg

("Five Things Only Nineties Kids Will Remember...")

Neighbors of Miss Estelle Vedder, retired Erasmus Hall High School teacher who was found dead in her Midwood home yesterday say the 73-year-old woman lived "as a near recluse" since she gave up teaching three years ago. Though beloved by generations of students at the Flatbush school, Miss Vedder, who lived on a small pension, had few acquaintances among her neighbors on McDougal Street. But former students -- who knew her as "Aunt Stella" -- had left birthday presents outside her door last week, and it was her failure to collect those small parcels that led neighbors to force their way into the home yesterday morning, where they discovered her body, surrounded by her twelve cats.

("Um," says Joe, "I -- brung ya sump'n'," and he reaches under his jacket to produce a small, wriggling tabby with a long tail and a nick in its ear. "Um, I jus' happ'nd t'be passin' t'rough Midwood, y'know, an''ney was givin' t'ese cats away, an' I knew...um..." And Sally puts down her gravy-dipped pickle and gapes with astonishment. "You jus' happ'nd t' be passin' t'rough Midwood, huh?" "Uh, yeah, uh, funny t'ing 'bout t'at, um, t'ey was all sol' outa t' Daily News downa cannystoah, an' I jus' kep' goin' till I...um...y'know...'at's a pretty swell cat, ain'nit? "Yeah," says Sally, wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater "A pretty swell cat.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(3).jpg
(If it hadn't been for rainouts, Fitz would be 2-0.)

Remember Roy Cullenbine, $25,000 bonus boy Larry MacPhail signed as a highly-touted free agent before the 1940 season? After annoying Leo Durocher by skipping out on the first day of spring training to play golf, Roy opened last year in the Dodger outfield, but he proved a bust and was sent packing to the St. Louis Browns last May. Well, guess who's leading the American League in hitting right now, with a scintillating .431 average? Sometimes you just never know.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(4).jpg

(The smart money's on "Loon.")

A sure 'nough Western Dude Ranch on Long Island? The Deep Hollow Guest and Cattle Ranch is now open in Montauk, with all the authentic cowboy trimmings, right down to a herd of 200 Mexican and Brahma steers roaming the thousand-acre range not far from Montauk Light. If ridin' an' ropin' dogies isn't your tin cup of coffee, though, the ranch also offers golf, tennis, swimming and yachting to keep you occupied.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(6).jpg

(It's nice to see that Louise Brooks is finally getting work again.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(7).jpg

(My father's boxing career, accurately depicted, except he wasn't so buff, or so blond, and they called him something other than "champ." Oh, and his girlfriend wasn't invisible.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(8).jpg

("We could bunch our cows on the same range." I've never heard it put quite that way before.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(9).jpg
(Hopefully "Boomville" has a second-rate vaudeville theatre, because Dennie could easily get a week next to closing with an act like this. And if Kay were a REAL SECRET OPERATIVE she'd know all about the old "drug drop in a hard-boiled egg" bit.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(10).jpg

(JUST MOVE.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(11).jpg

("Psssst!" says the Empress. "What happened in 'Terry and the Pirates' today?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_.jpg
And up in Montreal, Van Lingle Mungo curses his luck that Havana doesn't have a team in the International League this year.

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(1).jpg
"Hey! Who's that old guy sittin' over there drawin' in a book? HEY YOU! WANNA RASSLE?"

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(2).jpg

If I may say so, Mr. Gould is really into some sick stuff.

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(3).jpg
"Ar-r-r-r!" Hearing Punjab take part in "Talk Like A Pirate Day" is more unsettling than I could have ever imagined it to be.

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(4).jpg
That's Show Biz.

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(5).jpg
After all this buildup, if Hammer-Head doesn't actually have a head shaped like a hammer, I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(6).jpg
You say that now, kid, but wait'll you hit thirty and your metabolism changes.

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(7).jpg
And just like that, Judy learns a valuable lesson about "service charges."

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(8).jpg
Well now, that's an impenetrable disguise!

Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(9).jpg
Hey, Fate -- red six on the black five.

...Resolutions calling on the United States to place an immediate embargo on all shipments of both primary and secondary war materials to Japan for as long as Japanese troops remain in China were submitted today to the annual New York East conference of the Methodist Church by the church's World Peace Committee. The resolutions were presented to Bishop Francis J. McConnell, who is presiding over the conference at the Hanson Place Methodist Church in Fort Greene....

This is right in Caniff's wheelhouse.

...The Duke of Hamilton insists that Rudolf Hess must have gotten him confused with "some other nobleman," and denies reports that he had a prior acquaintance with the No. 3 Nazi before Hess parachuted onto his estate in Scotland. The Duke denied specifically that he had met Hess at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, and responsible sources in Britain say that they are not inclined to question the accuracy of the Duke's memory on the matter. It is speculated that Hess might have confused the Duke of Hamilton with the Duke of Buccheluch, who, it was recalled, had met and was "friendly with" Hess before the war. The Duke of Buccheluch was Lord Steward at the Court of St. James before he was replaced in that position by the Duke of Hamilton last year. The Duke of Buccheluch has not commented on the Hess affair....

"Germans? Germany? I didn't even know there was such a country."

It's amazing what you'll say when the number three Nazi uses your estate as an airport.

...("Um," says Joe, "I -- brung ya sump'n'," and he reaches under his jacket to produce a small, wriggling tabby with a long tail and a nick in its ear. "Um, I jus' happ'nd t'be passin' t'rough Midwood, y'know, an''ney was givin' t'ese cats away, an' I knew...um..." And Sally puts down her gravy-dipped pickle and gapes with astonishment. "You jus' happ'nd t' be passin' t'rough Midwood, huh?" "Uh, yeah, uh, funny t'ing 'bout t'at, um, t'ey was all sol' outa t' Daily News downa cannystoah, an' I jus' kep' goin' till I...um...y'know...'at's a pretty swell cat, ain'nit? "Yeah," says Sally, wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her sweater "A pretty swell cat.")...

What? No, something just blew into my eye, that's all.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(6).jpg
(It's nice to see that Louise Brooks is finally getting work again.)...

Good one Lizzie.

Also, panel 6 is classic flawed logic. He should be mad at Princess Ta'ama not Tarzan, but you see this error all the time in TV shows, movies and, well, comicstrips (and even, sometimes, real life).

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__May_18__1941_(7).jpg
(My father's boxing career, accurately depicted, except he wasn't so buff, or so blond, and they called him something other than "champ." Oh, and his girlfriend wasn't invisible.)...

For the first time in the life of this strip, I'm looking forward to next week.

... Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(2).jpg
If I may say so, Mr. Gould is really into some sick stuff.....

Seriously. Try explaining today's "Dick Tracy" to your eight year old: "Well, uh, umm, uh, go ask your mother, I'm busy."

... View attachment 335562 View attachment 335562 Well now, that's an impenetrable disguise!.. Daily_News_Sun__May_18__1941_(8).jpg .

Minor edit for accuracy: "I am to play on Wolff's loneness and get him to t̵a̵l̵k̵ ̵f̵r̵e̵e̵l̵y̵ sleep with me..."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The loss of 323 lives, including more than 100 Americans, was feared today with word that the Egyptian liner Zamzam was sunk "due to enemy action" in the South Atlantic. The number of Americans lost in the sinking may total as many as 200, according to "some sources." The old 8,923 ton steamer carried 203 passengers and a crew of 120 when it sailed from New York on March 20th, bound for Alexandria by way of Recife, Brazil and Capetown, South Africa. Among the Americans aboard were twenty-four young people of "prominent families," some of whom had volunteered to serve in the British-American Ambulance Corps, and 36 were missionaries of the Roman Catholic and Seventh Day Adventist faiths traveling to Africa. New York maritime authorities stated that there were at least 45 other Americans on board, but a full passenger list is not available. Any survivors of the sinking are believed to have been taken aboard "a German raiding cruiser" as prisoners.

The Italian army at Amba Alagi, in northeastern Ethiopia, has been ordered to surrender, and the Duke of Aosta, Viceroy of Ethiopia and cousin of King Victor Emmanuel, has been taken prisoner, according to a high command communique from Rome. The British forces, "in homage to" their vanquished Italian foes, allowed officers to retain their revolvers as the Italian troops, with shouldered rifles, paraded past their captors.

A report from Berlin monitored by NBC in New York stated that a large synagogue in Marseilles, France was blown up today, possibly due to "subversive activity on the part of Jews in that city."

The Justice Department will continue its roundup of "aliens of questionable status," but those aliens whose immigration and registration status is in order "need not fear," according to a statement today by Attorney General Robert Jackson. Another 200 aliens, mostly seamen remaining in the United States since the outbreak of the war, were arrested over the weekend, and roundups by Federal agents in principal seaports led to the questioning of about a thousand aliens. Most of those arrested are of German or Italian nationality.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_.jpg

A hundred thousand spectators watched the annual Holy Name parade along Bedford Avenue yesterday as prelude to the rally of the Holy Name Society at Ebbets Field. Approximately 20,000 persons inside the ballpark heard Mons. James H. Griffiths, vice chancellor of the Roman Catholic Diocese of
Brooklyn tell them to "get on their knees every day and pray for a lasting peace based on justice."

The New York East Coast Conference of the Methodist Church today championed the rights of organized labor in defense industries, and rejected the argument that strikes by workers in those industries are "Communistic" or the result of "subversive plots." The resolution, unanimously adopted by the conference this morning, followed an exhaustive report on the topic prepared by the conference's Social Service Commission and read by the conference chairman, Dr. Samuel Hamilton of New York University. The report also made an indirect condemnation of the Rapp-Coudert Committee in its conclusion that academic freedom must be preserved, and was strongly critical of the press for its promotion of the belief that "there is a Communistic conspiracy to delay or prevent defense production." The report maintains that "the facts do not support such a conclusion."

750,000 persons crowded into Central Park yesterday to celebrate "I Am An American Day" and hear a parade of dignitaries led by Mayor LaGuardia and Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes call for aid to Great Britain as part of the necessary defense of the "American way of life." Among the participants were soldiers, saliors, veterans, and an Indian chief in full regalia, and entertainment was provided by Eddie Cantor, Bill Robinson, Kate Smith, Irving Berlin, and Lucy Monroe.

"Clark's Dad" writes in to Helen Worth wondering if there's something wrong with his ten year old son, who refuses to fight with other boys. His mother agrees with his stand, telling him "it's beneath you to fight with the likes of them," but Dad says "he WILL fight, regardless of what she says." Helen says, well, a ten year old boy "who does not fight, wrestle, and pummel other boys at every opportunity" is "so far from normal that it should be a cause for worry!" But she also wonders what the readers think about this. "A discussion should prove interesting and informative."

At the Patio, Sally's ma is racing to see "The Lady Eve," paired with "Rage In Heaven."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(1).jpg

("Yeah, but you're still trailin' Porky Pig, the Pathe rooster, and Screeno.")

Members of the faculty of Erasmus Hall High School paid tribute yesterday to the memory of Miss Estelle Vedder, who died at her home in Midwood last week at the age of 73. "Miss Vedder was a splendid teacher and a grand character," stated Principal John F. McNeill. "She did not live in seclusion as was implied by the original story of her death, but had the best of medical care and attention. She also did not die alone, as the story said." Miss Emilie Pratt of the Erasmus Hall biology department stated that "Miss Vedder was known to many noted Brooklynites who were in her classes, including Councilman Genivieve Earle, Lawrence B. and Elmer Sperry Jr, and Constance Talmadge. She had a splendid influence on her pupils who often asked about her long after she graduated."

("An' me," murmurs Sally, as she strokes Stella the Cat, purring on her lap. "Don' f'get me.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(2).jpg
("Lavagetto bounced a foul off Judge Landis' head in the third inning." Hey, MacPhail, now's your chance to sell him a skull protector. Also, an interesting tidbit about the use of an electric organ at Wrigley Field. It's long been believed that MacPhail was the first executive to install a ballpark organ, which he will do at Ebbets Field in 1942, but here we see evidence that he wasn't the first, and got the idea from Mr. Wrigley. The Dodgers were, however, the first team to play the National Anthem before every game -- starting in 1940, and continuing in 1941, using phonograph records -- currently, Bing Crosby's recording of the anthem is played.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(3).jpg

(Roy "Pooch" Campanella? That's a new one.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(4).jpg

(Anyone for "bric-a-brac?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(5).jpg
(If you're trying to get her to kick you right where it counts, you're on the right track.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(6).jpg
("Just wait'll I see that SNIPPY WOMAN who STOLE MY BOTTLE OF BLUING yesterday!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(7).jpg

(Ah, so *that's* why they call it "Boomville.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__May_19__1941_(8).jpg

("Pinched? I was going with Dan Dunn for seven years! He wouldn't know the first thing about...oh, wait, never mind.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_.jpg
"Bubbles Schinasi?" Even I couldn't make up a name like that.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(1).jpg
Yeah well, you know who *should* be Miss Rheingold? Bubbles Schinasi.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(2).jpg

He was gonna bellow "HELLO FOLKS!" but that might upset Robert Moses.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(3).jpg
And, I suspect, she isn't even really a blonde.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(4).jpg
Warbucks will be fine. The reason he's bald is that he had a MacPhail Skull Protector implanted under his scalp.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(5).jpg
Slot machines? Sticking up drive ins? Dream big, baby.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(6).jpg
"Wanna buy some bitcoin?"

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(7).jpg

And today, in 2021, Skeezix is a 100 year old man with a perfect head of hair. SO THERE CHIGS.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(8).jpg

Hey Moon, throwing your hat over the lampshade like that is how hotel fires start.

Daily_News_Mon__May_19__1941_(9).jpg
Wait'll Lillums gets a load of this boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21