Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

...The Dodgers lost against Philadelphia 7-3 yesterday at Ebbets Field, but the fans didn't mind it a bit. Skipper Leo Durocher was more concerned with saving his front-line players for the World Series than with winning a meaningless game, although each of the regulars made an appearance in the early innings before being replaced -- with the exception of Pete Reiser, who was held out of the game after pulling a ligament during pre-game fielding practice. Reiser was immediately sent for x-rays, and Dr. Frank Glenn of New York Hospital, after examining the hard-hitting youngster, declared "nothing wrong." The celebratory spirit was rampant among the fans, who cheered everything from the batboy to an American Airlines liner flying over the field with "CONGRATULATIONS" painted in giant letters across the underside of its entire wingspread....

"...to an American Airlines liner flying over the field with "CONGRATULATIONS" painted in giant letters across the underside of its entire wingspread."

:)

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_28__1941_(5).jpg
(Scarlet's act would go a lot better if she just reduced it to conking people over the head.)...

Sure she called them out as frauds, but since she appears as a disembodied voice, Yorkly has to be wondering if there really isn't something to this hocus pocus.

"Hey, honey, it turns out that psychic is a fraud."
"How'd you discover that?"
"During the seance a disembodied voice told me so."
"Umm, dear, uh..."

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_28__1941_(6).jpg
("HMPH!" snorts Laughing Larry. "That LITTLE BITTY PICTURE OF ME! I should have the WHOLE PAGE! Get that guy on the phone. Tell him he's fired!" "But Mr. MacPhail, he doesn't work for you!" "Well, HIRE HIM! And THEN tell him he's fired!")...

Fish weren't the only things Flynn hunted on his boat as many a young damsel can attest.

.. The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_28__1941_(7).jpg (Poor Aunt Pruny. Tried to drown her sorrows by taking a job in a faraway town teaching school, but it's just not working out. And I'm convinced Mr. Marsh isn't drawing his Sunday page anymore. The art is just slightly off -- I mean, Veeda's proportions are practically NORMAL -- and that's not even his real signature.)...

Hasn't "secret" operative Dan Dunn had his picture in the newspaper? Seems that getting a picture of him would be pretty easy.

... Daily_News_Sun__Sep_28__1941_(1).jpg
I wonder if Mr. Hill himself went to college, or if he's just seen a lot of Jack Oakie movies....

Does read very cliched, but this one almost always does.

The "blonde filly walking by" looks more like the blonde filly's mom walking by, but maybe MILF's been around longer than we think.

A... Daily_News_Sun__Sep_28__1941_(6)-2.jpg Blind rage will only take you so far....

"It is too bad you are so beautiful, my sweet Burma, it would be rather a pleasure to hurt you?"

A lot of stuff snuck past the censors.

... Daily_News_Sun__Sep_28__1941_(7).jpg
He's too old for you, kid. And you really need to start wearing a slip.....

No kidding, she's must not have had any clean underwear in the drawer this morning.

The woodpeckers are sure earning their pay.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"It is too bad you are so beautiful, my sweet Burma, it would be rather a pleasure to hurt you?"

A lot of stuff snuck past the censors..

Judas is a remarkably controlled individual armed with instinctive cunning and innate ability
to switch scheme mid-game, to adjust, adapt, and advantage adverse chance, circumstance,
and terrain as fate elects privilege. His offhand flippancy betrays a sadistic streak which to some
extent has played out with his captive. Burma endured a long hang before the cracker barrel fix,
then she provided cover to Judas by shielding her body across the truck windshield. Hardly a stretch
to imagine sexual license taken earlier and the sadist holds a card or two left to play.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_.jpg

("Hol' 'er up higheh!" insists Joe, as Sally boosts little Leonora up above the roiling mass along Flatbush Avenue. "She's gonna wanna remembeh t'is! It's whatchacawl HIST'RY!" "She ain' gonna remembeh," replies Sally. "Lit'l babies don' remembeh nut'n 'cept how t'eat an' how t'....HEY! 'AT'S PETEY RIDIN' BY! PETEY! HEY PETEY! MOIDEH T'EM YANKS! WE'RE WITCHA PETEY!")

In Lexington, Kentucky, police are ruling out robbery as the motive in the murder of a top-ranked woman golfer and the wounding of her mother. Twenty-seven-year-old Marion Miley was found early yesterday shot to death, with a bullet in her forehead and another in her back, in the Lexington Country Club apartment of her mother, Mrs. Fred Miley. Police say Mrs. Miley crawled a quarter of a mile with three bullets in her stomach to raise an alarm after the shooting. Investigators found $60 in cash in the club office, and another $75 in a closet in Mrs. Miley's apartment, although Mrs. Miley stated that the "two bandits" who confronted her and her daughter demanded the receipts of a recent club dance. The only clue to the identity of the gunmen is a bloody fingerprint found on the wall of the Miley apartment. Marion Miley was the runner-up in the most recent National Women's Amateur Golf Tournament and has held several prominent titles over the past nine years. It is not expected that Mrs. Miley will recover from her wounds.

The Berlin High Command asserted today that three Russian divisions were destroyed today by German and Italian units northeast of the area between the Dnieper River and Kharkov. The reports claim 45,000 Soviet troops were killed and another 15,000 taken prisoner.

Reports from Moscow claim victories on land, at sea, and in the air today at numerous points along the front extending from the Arctic Ocean to the Black Sea. Forces under the command of Marshal Klementi Vorshilov were reported to be counterattacking vigorously in the Leningrad sector, with Red Army forces having broken the German lines at several points. Breakthrus are also reported on the north central front, with Soviet troops having retaken three villages in the Staraya Russa region, leaving the battlefield "littered with the bodies of German dead."

The grandson of Brownsville's former Democratic Party leader has joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, and departed for his service today praised by District Attorney William O'Dwyer as "a real Brooklyn boy." Twenty-four-year-old Emmanuel Pearlman of 550 Ocean Avenue, a strapping blond six-footer, resigned his job as a volunteer worker in the O'Dwyer-for-Mayor campaign to "take on a more important job -- fighting Hitler." Pearlman is the grandson of Hymie Schorenstein, who will be concluding his long political career at the end of this year at the expiration of his present term as Kings County Commissioner.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_.jpg
("They was supposed to be ready for the parade!" thunders Mr. Loeser. "Why wasn't they ready for the parade? Who's in charge of this? Get him in here!" "Um, it's your nephew, sir." "Well, fire him! Nephews I got plenty, but how many pennants do we win?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(1).jpg
("The Harpo Marx of the subcommittee." Now is that nice to Harpo, a fine man thru and thru? And why have I never seen "Love Life of a Gorilla?" IT'S SENSATIONAL!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(2).jpg

(Ahh, I love it when Lichty goes topical.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(3).jpg
(1.2 million in attendance is awe-inspiring at a time when most clubs were happy to hit half that, and few did. And it's hard to believe that there's only a week and a half or so until baseball's all over for the year. Can't we go on another month? Maybe whoever wins the Series can play the Bushwicks?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(4).jpg

(I don't mean to be catty, but Johnny Sturm is no Lou Gehrig.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(5).jpg

("You wouldn't be a millionaire unless you were a good salesman!" Um, look at the guy -- white carnation, striped pants, nose glasses -- he wasn't a salesman at all. He was a floorwalker.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(6).jpg
("This hat with Oakdale's initials that fell of the head of a thug trying to rob a man..." You can't tell me Jo doesn't feel a bit of a frisson every time she says that.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(7).jpg

("Why -- it's five gallons of Coca-Cola syrup! I'll get some glasses!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(8).jpg

(Poor Veeda likes 'em big and dumb.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_.jpg
"Oh yeah?" sniffs Ann Sheridan. "Here, hold my coat."

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(1).jpg

The original monument, a tall and stately cylinder of polished black granite atop a grey granite base won't even survive twenty-five years before being replaced by the unimpressive cistern-cover-like disk that's there now. There's a moral in that somewhere.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(2).jpg

"Yeah!" snorts Sally. "Gimme t' scissors! I'm cuttin'iss out an' I'm gonna send it t't'at Dorothy Kilgallen! I ain' forgot t'at time at Erasmus, she jus'about pushes me downa staiahs like I wan'evenneah! T'ought she OWNNA place! I ASK YOU!"

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(3).jpg

Wig glue?

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(4).jpg

DICK Tracy.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(5).jpg

"What? All that work and there's nothing in here but crates of cheap Canadian whiskey?"

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(6).jpg

Well, Gus, when you put it that way, it all kinda makes sense, kinda.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(7).jpg
"And have you noticed, Miss Clock, how much I look like John Barrymore? Because I do, you know. Look like John Barrymore. You may, Miss Clock, if you like, call me 'Caliban'."

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(8).jpg

Poor Plushie. Never once in his life has he ever finished a drink.

Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(9).jpg

Harold's not very good at slinking.

...In Lexington, Kentucky, police are ruling out robbery as the motive in the murder of a top-ranked woman golfer and the wounding of her mother. Twenty-seven-year-old Marion Miley was found early yesterday shot to death, with a bullet in her forehead and another in her back, in the Lexington Country Club apartment of her mother, Mrs. Fred Miley. Police say Mrs. Miley crawled a quarter of a mile with three bullets in her stomach to raise an alarm after the shooting. Investigators found $60 in cash in the club office, and another $75 in a closet in Mrs. Miley's apartment, although Mrs. Miley stated that the "two bandits" who confronted her and her daughter demanded the receipts of a recent club dance. The only clue to the identity of the gunmen is a bloody fingerprint found on the wall of the Miley apartment. Marion Miley was the runner-up in the most recent National Women's Amateur Golf Tournament and has held several prominent titles over the past nine years. It is not expected that Mrs. Miley will recover from her wounds....

There's more going on here. This one will be interesting to watch develop.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(1).jpg ("The Harpo Marx of the subcommittee." Now is that nice to Harpo, a fine man thru and thru? And why have I never seen "Love Life of a Gorilla?" IT'S SENSATIONAL!)...

Nice to see that some senators in '41 were as clueless as some senators are today.

... View attachment 365110 (1.2 million in attendance is awe-inspiring at a time when most clubs were happy to hit half that, and few did. And it's hard to believe that there's only a week and a half or so until baseball's all over for the year. Can't we go on another month? Maybe whoever wins the Series can play the Bushwicks?)...

And it would have been an even bigger number with a larger stadium. It will feel weird and kinda empty for a week or more as it always does when the season ends.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(5).jpg
("You wouldn't be a millionaire unless you were a good salesman!" Um, look at the guy -- white carnation, striped pants, nose glasses -- he wasn't a salesman at all. He was a floorwalker.)...

Very 1940s funny, Lizzie. That is so spot on.

If they make a "Spark Watts" movie, Charles Lane is ready to play Mr. Hotchkiss.
clfflttd.jpg

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(8).jpg
(Poor Veeda likes 'em big and dumb.)

Once again we have the awkward Monday quasi repeat of the Sunday "Dan Dunn" strip.

Angelica Huston stands ready to play Veda in the movie.
141109-suskind-angelica-huston_cvdlkg.jpeg

.. Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_.jpg "Oh yeah?" sniffs Ann Sheridan. "Here, hold my coat."...

"I might hate the 'Oomph Girl' label, but damn if I'm going to let some upstart steal it."

... Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(2).jpg
"Yeah!" snorts Sally. "Gimme t' scissors! I'm cuttin'iss out an' I'm gonna send it t't'at Dorothy Kilgallen! I ain' forgot t'at time at Erasmus, she jus'about pushes me downa staiahs like I wan'evenneah! T'ought she OWNNA place! I ASK YOU!"....

I love Sally, but for her own sake, she's got to learn to let a grudge go now and then. Otherwise she's going to grow up to be an adult who throws radios through windows.

... Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(4).jpg
DICK Tracy.....

Physical violence is wrong, except Tess should punch Tracy (hard) in the head right now.

... Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(6).jpg
Well, Gus, when you put it that way, it all kinda makes sense, kinda.....

"Dan Dunn," "Dick Tracy" and "The Gumps," this repeating of Sunday makes Monday's strips all but a waste of time.

... Daily_News_Mon__Sep_29__1941_(9).jpg
Harold's not very good at slinking.

It's those darn saddle shoes squeaking.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^ The deceased female golfer story is horrible but smacks of a deliberate murder, contractual strictly pro.
--------
Angelica Huston, cannot recall if she was Oscar nominated for The Grifters. If not, shoulda bin.
_________

Honorable mention idiot senators. Unnecessary federal spending adds principal and interest accrual over time. Billions of dollars increased cost interest.
Don't they realize this??? With inflationary pressure on Fed....

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
daily_news_mon__sep_29__1941_-9-jpg.365135

I have a hunch that Lena Lovewell's reaction to this plot twist is going to exhibit an even uglier mercenary outburst. We shall see. She was, I'm guessing, envisioning a Pops to Prunella to Lena double play of Pop's assets that would have put Tinkers to Evans to Chance to shame.

For a "humorous" strip there sure are a lot of circling vultures among the cast of characters.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Prime Minister Winston Churchill today told the House of Commons that Germany is suffering a severe shortage of airplanes for war on two fronts, and that Great Britain has cut losses in the Battle of the Atlantic by two thirds since July. But the Prime Minister warned the people of Britain to be prepared for "an all out Nazi offensive" against England, northwest Africa, or the Suez Canal during the coming winter, and hinted that Britain itself must prepare for the possibility of mounting its own invasion of Western Europe "when the time is ripe."

Mounting unrest in Axis-occupied Europe brought reports from Moscow today asserting that Italian naval units have bombarded rebellious towns in Montenegro along the Adriatic Coast, and that thousands of Czechs have been rounded up in raids by the Nazi secret police. It was confirmed in a report from Radio Prague that two members of the Czech cabinet have been arrested following the execution yesterday of twenty-four alleged "plotters of revolt" against the German Authorities -- and that the Germans have also arrested former Nazi "protector" of the Czechs, Baron Constantin von Neurath, who was replaced earlier this month in that office by former Berlin police chief Reinhard Heydrich.

As more than a million Brooklynites flooded into the streets yesterday for the Dodger Victory Parade, downtown liquor merchants reported a flood of their own, as buyers jammed their stores in anticipation of the new Federal excise tax of 10 percent for each bottle sold, which takes effect tomorrow. Sales at all borough liquor stores were reported up by as much as 300 percent over normal levels. One store manager described the traffic as "a madhouse" and "worse than the last day before Prohibition." The new tax also affects other luxury goods, including household appliances, furs, and cosmetics -- and sales of all of those products were also reported sharply up.

The operator of a newsstand at Nostrand and Church Avenues was found not guilty today of "making excess noise and causing a crowd to collect," although he freely admitted that he indeed made noise and that a crowd did collect. S. Sidney Levine of 31 E. 31st Street was arrested on September 13th when he turned up the volume on a portable radio during the Dodger-Cardinal game from St. Louis, causing a crowd of listeners to mass on the sidewalk. Mr. Levine defended his actions before Magistrate James A. Blanchfield in Flatbush Court, declaring that radios were "already blasting from every window and taxi on the street." Magistrate Blanchfield agreed, noting that he himself was playing golf at Southhampton that day and had hired a caddy to carry a portable radio out on the course so that he could hear the broadcast, and he dismissed all charges against Mr. Levine.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_.jpg

("Hey!" yells Joe, bursting into the apartment. "Hey! Looka what I got!!" "Ssssshhh!" ssshhs Sally. "I jus' got Leonora to sleep!" "Loooooooka what I got," whispers Joe, flourishing a smudgy envelope in her face. "TWO TICKETS TA GAME FOUAH!" "WHAAAAAAT?" screams Sally, jolting Leonora awake with a piercing cry.
"HOLY CHR---!" "I din' do nuttin' illegal a' nuttin'," hastens Joe, "it's a PRESENT! Solly anna boys downa plant chipped in an' gottem! T'ey said t'ey felt sorry we hadda leave t'at doublehedda gains' t' Giants, y'know, b'causea -- you know. So t'ey got us t'ese for a present! Looka t'at! T'ree fifty seats, section 20, resoived uppa stan'!" Sally rocks the baby and gapes. "T'ey done t'at -- fa US?" "T'ey did! C'n ya b'lieve it? We're GOINNA WOIL SERIES!!!!!!!")

Brooklyn Eagle baseball writer Tommy Holmes has been named as one of three official scorers for the World Series, opening tomorrow at Yankee Stadium. Mr. Holmes, who has covered the Dodgers for the Eagle since 1924 will officiate alongside John Drebinger of the New York Times and Tom Swope, president of the Base Ball Writers Association of America. Mr. Holmes has seen nearly every game played by the Brooklyn club over the past seventeen years, and is the originator of the "opponents' batting average" method of statistically calculating the effectiveness of pitchers. He will work every game of the Series.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(1).jpg
("Yes, Mr. Terry -- we're still in the league!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_.jpg

(And I don't care what they say, those votes shoulda counted.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(3).jpg

(Odds that Mr. and Mrs. Durocher will separate after the series now running at 1-1.)

The Eagle Editorialist admits to feeling hoarse and tired after yesterday's celebration, but he declares that it proved one thing that will give the Dodgers a real advantage in the Series to come: "the support of more loyal fans than the Yankees ever heard of!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(5).jpg

(True Story: I am looking right now at a suggestion slip tacked to my office board -- "TELL WOMEN NOT TO WEAR TALL HAIR TO THE OPERA. THEY SHOULD PRESS IT DOWN SO WE ALL CAN SEE.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(6).jpg
(BEEFCAKE! Hey Cookie, get that shirt off. And oh yeah, there was a title fight. Who won again?)

The Homestead Grays, fresh from securing the World's Colored Baseball Championship title, will invade Dexter Park this weekend for a doubleheader against their old nemeses the Bushwicks. The Grays romped to victory in the first-half race in the Negro National League this year, and easily dispatched the second-half winning Cuban Stars to settle any question of the best team in Negro ball. Adding to the excitement will be the return to the Grays lineup of "Negro Babe Ruth" Josh Gibson, who has been out of the American picture for several seasons while playing in the Mexican League.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(7).jpg
(I'd love to have a quiet talk with Boody's wife.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(8).jpg
("The same build and swagger..." You know, it never occured to me before, but I think Jo has a crush on Oakdale, and all these years of white-hot hate are just sublimation.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(9).jpg
(All right, I got no theories at all. Students?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(10).jpg

("Well, I have blue eyes, blue-black hair, a strong jaw, and a squinting gaze. But you knew that already.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_.jpg
The Miley case sure looks like a planned hit to me. But all I know is what I read on Page Four.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(1).jpg

"Who put the MONEY in HARMONY?" Well, let's wait and see how much he pays Reiser next year.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(2).jpg

Soooooooour graaaaaaaaaapes.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(3).jpg
Never overplay your hand.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(4).jpg

Yeah, why not go right down. Time's a'wastin'.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(5).jpg
A two-headed snake AND a -- I dunno, half mule/half cow? STOP TEASING US!

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(6).jpg
"I knew I should have taken that seminar with Cousin Punjab!"

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(7).jpg

Once again, the smartest guy in the room.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(8).jpg
Looks like we're gonna stick with Nina for a while, which should be interesting. Dr. Looks-like-Barrymore hasn't got a chance.

Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(9).jpg
"Boy," says Lana Lanigan somewhere far away. "I really dodged a bullet not marrying into THAT family."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^Aces & Eights with The Queen of Clubs. Dead Man's Hand.
And the sword of vengeance is double edged, with the sharpest edge closest to he who wields its blade.

Nota Bene with manicule pointed directly at Caniff. Interesting feature to this quite impressive comic strip
is the fact that blood has been spilled and Caniff's mature approach though editorially constrained is obviously
of sharpened pencil honed to a razor edge. The flip side to this candor is continued frankness.
In for a penny, in for a pound. The cartoonist's pencil has crafted a Jack be nimble, Jack be quick,
bet your ass and kill him quick scenario. Raven, having exposed her talons must now strike or be killed.
Of secondary but quite relevant note is Raven's earlier bloodthirst to kill Burma. Caniff is dealing deadly
shirtfront poker by pushing all chips in for the hand. Included in this particular play bet is strip credibility.
All tease and no strip dancing upon stage will not only affect the storyline but dull the cartoonist's pencil
beyond recover. Blood must be spilt, Raven, Judas, or Burma draw straws but Sky King's girl is least
favored after Judas.

("Hey!" yells Joe, bursting into the apartment. "Hey! Looka what I got!!" "Ssssshhh!" ssshhs Sally. "I jus' got Leonora to sleep!" "Loooooooka what I got," whispers Joe, flourishing a smudgy envelope in her face. "TWO TICKETS TA GAME FOUAH!" "WHAAAAAAT?" screams Sally, jolting Leonora awake with a piercing cry.
"HOLY CHR---!" "I din' do nuttin' illegal a' nuttin'," hastens Joe, "it's a PRESENT! Solly anna boys downa plant chipped in an' gottem! T'ey said t'ey felt sorry we hadda leave t'at doublehedda gains' t' Giants, y'know, b'causea -- you know. So t'ey got us t'ese for a present! Looka t'at! T'ree fifty seats, section 20, resoived uppa stan'!" Sally rocks the baby and gapes. "T'ey done t'at -- fa US?" "T'ey did! C'n ya b'lieve it? We're GOINNA WOIL SERIES!!!!!!!")...

I'm excited for them. Who's watching the kid, Sally's mom? I don't want these two to have any last-minute problems getting to the game.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(1).jpg ("Yes, Mr. Terry -- we're still in the league!")...

It's very cool that NY Tel will be including the scores along with the time announcements on its time call-in number. Stuff like that helps personalize large companies.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_.jpg
(And I don't care what they say, those votes shoulda counted.)...

A very 1930s/40s story. Also, "his father gone," life wasn't so different in reality versus what was allowed to be shown on the movie screen.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(5).jpg
(True Story: I am looking right now at a suggestion slip tacked to my office board -- "TELL WOMEN NOT TO WEAR TALL HAIR TO THE OPERA. THEY SHOULD PRESS IT DOWN SO WE ALL CAN SEE.")...

I'm surprised that's a problem in 2021. Other than at Triple Crown horse races, one almost never see women in fancy hats anymore.

...[ Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(7).jpg (I'd love to have a quiet talk with Boody's wife.)...

Oh, that would never happen in real life, except that it did when the Rolling Stone's Bill Wyman's son married his former stepmother. Ick.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(8).jpg ("The same build and swagger..." You know, it never occured to me before, but I think Jo has a crush on Oakdale, and all these years of white-hot hate are just sublimation.)...

No question about it, those two are one tiny step away from ferocious hate sex.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(9).jpg (All right, I got no theories at all. Students?)...

I'm guessing it ties back to Kleek and his kites, but other than that vague thought, I got nuddin'. Also, what kind of newspaper man doesn't really care about the "why?"

... Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_.jpg The Miley case sure looks like a planned hit to me. But all I know is what I read on Page Four....

This is a really interesting one. I'm taking it the Mileys had an apartment of some sort at the club since the husband is the resident pro. The receipts thing confuses me if it's a hit, unless the club pays (or failed to pay) some kind of "protection" money and the mob was trying to collect and send a message about paying. I've also tried to put some sort of love-affair angle into it, but still just guessing.

... Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(3).jpg Never overplay your hand....

Good call on the wig glue, Lizzie.

Did Raven really just say that (last panel) out loud?

... Daily_News_Tue__Sep_30__1941_(9).jpg "Boy," says Lana Lanigan somewhere far away. "I really dodged a bullet not marrying into THAT family."

No kidding, Lana was too good for the entire Covina crew. Of all our comic-strip women, if Hu Shee won't have me, I'm going to take a run at Lana.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This is a really interesting one. I'm taking it the Mileys had an apartment of some sort at the club since the husband is the resident pro. The receipts thing confuses me if it's a hit, unless the club pays (or failed to pay) some kind of "protection" money and the mob was trying to collect and send a message about paying. I've also tried to put some sort of love-affair angle into it, but still just guessing..

The violent burglary, partial theft, some money left, and the amount of gunfire tend to lean more
toward some amateurish nightmare, a burglary gone all wrong; however, the cumulative deadly intent
that the Law terms depraved heart cannot be discounted. This may indeed have been a deliberate hit
but staged by junior varsity rogue fools. The more details given, the less inclined I am to conclude
this was top tier talent.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_.jpg

(At the Crown Pickle Works, Joe and Solly and all the boys strain to hear Red Barber and Bob Elson above the sloshing of the brine. Back at the apartment in Bensonhurst, Sally gives Leonora her afternoon feeding and curses the electrical noise from nearby trolley lines as the broadcast gets underway, while Stella the Cat naps unconcernedly in a kitchen chair. All along the block, from every open window, you can follow every word of the broadcast...

)

A Leningrad dispatch to the army newspaper Red Star today asserted that the Germans have lost another 100,000 men in the southern and southwestern sectors alone during their attack on the Soviet Union's second largest city. Summarizing figures provided by the Red Army, the newspaper report also stated that in those sectors the Nazis have also lost 400 tanks, 200 field guns, and 846 planes, with full reports yet to come. In a dispatch from the central front, Red Star also reported that the Russians have broken up the 268th German Infantry Division in a two-day battle, causing at least 1800 Nazi deaths.

An official statement from Helsinki asserted today that Finnish forces have captured the key town of Petrozavodsk, on Lake Onega, 185 miles northeast of Leningrad, and have thus severed the Leningrad-Murmansk Arctic railroad at a vital point. The announcement prompted a direct warning from London reminding the Finnish Government that a reply is still awaited to the British declaration that Great Britain will declare Finland an enemy belligerent if it persists in fighting beyond the previous Russo-Finnish frontier.

Authoritative informants in London stated today that German troops have fought their way to a point about seven miles south of Pergkop on the isthmus leading to Crimea, and that they now appear to be directly threatening Kharkov and the industrial sectors of the Donets Basin. It was indicated that German progress along the isthmus has come at the cost of heavy losses.

European reports stated today that a surge of unrest in German-occupied territories has spread to Bulgaria, with the Vichy radio stating that Bulgiarian police have arrested 844 persons said to be of the "dangerous element" in the chief Bulgarian port of Varna. That port is a key base for German operations against the Crimea and the Caucasus in Russia. Meanwhile, reports from Berlin indicated that another 58 persons have been executed in Czechoslovakia as Nazi authorities attempt to quell rebellion among the Czech people. Broadcasts by the "National Unity" underground radio station monitored by the United Press called on the Czech population to rise in a general strike against Nazi occupation forces. It is also reported that guerilla resistance is rising in Yugoslavia.

Anti-Jewish laws in Occupied France were extended today into unoccupied territory by the Vichy Government, which decreed that all Jewish-owned businesses are to be confiscated and placed in the hands of Aryan administrators for liquidation. The first list of affected firms are in Lyons, Niece, and Toulouse.

The new 10 per cent Federal sales tax on selected luxury goods went into effect today on the heels of a mad buying rush in Brooklyn stores that resulted in sales exceeding $15,000,000 over the past two days. The tax will increase the price of liquor by 30 to 40 cents a quart in package stores, and led to purchases of more than $1,000,000 worth of whiskey, brandy, and gin by Brooklyn residents in the last two days. Jewelry purchases were also sharply up, with jewelers stating that many buyers are acquiring gems as a hedge against expected inflation. Furs and cosmetics have been added to the categories of goods now subject to the tax.

The Young Peoples' Division of the Ingersoll Memorial Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library throws open its doors today, providing a specialized collection and staff to supervise the needs of students from three nearby high schools. The first week of operation for the new division will be restricted to taking applications for library cards, with circulation and reference operations to begin next week.

A Manhattan traffic policeman killed himself at his Jamacia home last night after completing a game of pinochle with his family. 38-year-old Patrolman Thomas Conroy of 152-10 79th Avenue had gone to a movie with his wife earlier in the evening, and then relaxed over cards with his children and his in-laws before stepping into the vestibule of the house and shooting himself in the right temple with his service revolver. His wife could give no motive for the suicide, and collapsed after reporting the shooting to police.

In Covington, Kentucky, bubble dancer Sally Rand announced today that she will marry cowboy Thurkel "Turk" Greenbough of Montana "sometime after the first of the year." "But the fan dance," promised Miss Rand, "will go on." Miss Rand was the proprietress of the famous "Nude Ranch" concession at the World's Fair.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(1).jpg

*snif*

Fresh from defeating Lou Nova to defend his heavyweight title one last time before going into the Army, Joe Louis today announced the formation of a dedicated fund in his name to be used to fight racial intolerance. Operating under the auspices of the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America, the Joe Louis Fund for Race Relations will be used to promote inter-racial harmony. The champion did not specify how he will raise the money for the fund, but promised it will be "the biggest gate" of his career.

The observance of Yom Kippur is drawing to a close today as Brooklyn Jews attend temples and synagogues for services marking the Day of Atonement, holiest day in the Jewish year. Speaking at Temple Beth-Elohim, 8th Avenue and Garfield Place, Rabbi Isaac Landman in his sermon challenged Christendom to "suffer, bleed and die" alongside Jews so that "the fundamental spiritual values may not disappear from human thinking and striving."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(2).jpg

(It's more than just a baseball team.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(3).jpg

("Bums" didn't really crystallize as a nickname until this year, but I fear Mr. Schroth is fighting a losing battle.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(4).jpg

(Mr. Lichty knows he'd better use up all these jokes while he still can.)

In Milwaukee, the first woman known to have used a typewriter died yesterday at the age of 84. Mrs. Lillian Sholes Fortier was only sixteen years old when she tapped out a message on a huge basket-like machine built by her machinist father, Christopher Latham Sholes, who would patent his invention in 1868. Mrs. Fortier would go on to become a "competent typist" but would never pursue the career professionally.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(5).jpg

(It isn't hype if everybody really feels that way.)

"We'll Win In Six!" declares Dolph Camilli in his first column for the United Press. The Dodger first baseman admits to being "keyed up" for the Series, but he also insists that the Dodgers will win because the Dodgers *are* the better team.

Red Barber isn't just beloved in Brooklyn -- his WOR broadcasts of the Dodger games all season have been avidly followed in New England as well. Listeners in Massachusetts and New Hampshire reported they didn't care a whit about the Boston Braves in the key series that clinched the flag for Brooklyn -- they wanted the Dodgers to win!

Win or lose, Leo Durocher is on the air tonight with Fred Allen, 9pm over WABC. Leo made a hit with the New England comedian last spring, and will be back tonight to help Mr. Allen kick off his new fall season. Fred says the interview will be conducted on an ad-lib basis, and also suggests that the boys in his program's orchestra spent their summer off blowing up those "COOKIE!" balloons you see at Ebbets Field.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(6).jpg

(Yeah, Superman used to do this too, but at least when he did it it was evil international arms merchants he dangled out the window. Hey Hotchkiss, what business you in again?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(7).jpg

("*I've* had a lot of experience with Oakdale *too!*")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(8).jpg

(All right, investigator -- INVESTIGATE!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(9).jpg

("You dear boy!!" Oooooh, Dan!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_.jpg
Yeah, I guess you could call pajamas and slippers "a divorce suit."

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(1).jpg

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(2).jpg

Pour it on, Hig! Give him the HIGH HARD ONE!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(3).jpg
Ah! Bill Slagg! Bill Slagg will come to the rescue! Bill Slagg will save everybody! Bill Slagg is a Hero! Bill Slagg is Great! Hooray for Bill Slagg!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(4).jpg

I'm with you, Junior. Bring on the two-headed snake and the half-mule/half-cow!

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(5).jpg
Well, at least Raven and Burma will have a chance to talk things over.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(6).jpg
You know, so many of the Gumps' problems could be avoided if they'd just invest in some good window blinds.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(7).jpg
Don't forget your portable radio.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(8).jpg
It's always fun to see a master troll at work.

Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(9).jpg

Gramps wonders how hard it would be to fake his own death.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Caniff is stretching things out, partially folded his cards by avoiding bloodshed for capture.
As to the girls, for the moment at least trussed and tied, together at last, neither safe nor sound bondage.
Kinky as hell though.:oops:

View attachment 365558
(At the Crown Pickle Works, Joe and Solly and all the boys strain to hear Red Barber and Bob Elson above the sloshing of the brine. Back at the apartment in Bensonhurst, Sally gives Leonora her afternoon feeding and curses the electrical noise from nearby trolley lines as the broadcast gets underway, while Stella the Cat naps unconcernedly in a kitchen chair. All along the block, from every open window, you can follow every word of the broadcast...

)...

Despite the Yankees and Sox battling down to the wire for the wildcard this year, I find I'm more into the '41 Dodgers. If I could carve out three-plus hours today, I'd love to listen to the game, but that will be really hard to do.

...A Manhattan traffic policeman killed himself at his Jamacia home last night after completing a game of pinochle with his family. 38-year-old Patrolman Thomas Conroy of 152-10 79th Avenue had gone to a movie with his wife earlier in the evening, and then relaxed over cards with his children and his in-laws before stepping into the vestibule of the house and shooting himself in the right temple with his service revolver. His wife could give no motive for the suicide, and collapsed after reporting the shooting to police....

It feels like there is something more here.

...In Milwaukee, the first woman known to have used a typewriter died yesterday at the age of 84. Mrs. Lillian Sholes Fortier was only sixteen years old when she tapped out a message on a huge basket-like machine built by her machinist father, Christopher Latham Sholes, who would patent his invention in 1868. Mrs. Fortier would go on to become a "competent typist" but would never pursue the career professionally....

That's a neat historical curio.

...Red Barber isn't just beloved in Brooklyn -- his WOR broadcasts of the Dodger games all season have been avidly followed in New England as well. Listeners in Massachusetts and New Hampshire reported they didn't care a whit about the Boston Braves in the key series that clinched the flag for Brooklyn -- they wanted the Dodgers to win!...

But could they be heard as far up as Maine so that somebody's grandparents could have been listening?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(7).jpg
("*I've* had a lot of experience with Oakdale *too!*")...

All I can think of now is Jo and and Oakdale going at it. Didn't see it until Lizzie pointed it out, but it seems so obvious now.

As an aside, doesn't Peggy plan to ever live with her husband?

[... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(9).jpg
("You dear boy!!" Oooooh, Dan!)

James Bond usually sleeps with the villainess. Just sayin'.

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_.jpg Yeah, I guess you could call pajamas and slippers "a divorce suit."....

That's a really interesting twist in the Miley case if the escaped convict is truly involved.

The hanky-panky that went on in those colonial African outpost didn't need to be exaggerated.

Best "The Neighbors" ever!

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(3).jpg Ah! Bill Slagg! Bill Slagg will come to the rescue! Bill Slagg will save everybody! Bill Slagg is a Hero! Bill Slagg is Great! Hooray for Bill Slagg!....

No, please, no!
fml-sylvester.gif

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(5).jpg Well, at least Raven and Burma will have a chance to talk things over.....

Caniff is really smart, he knows we all want to see Burma and Raven tied up, but he didn't give it to us today.

"Raven?! Uh, hi, um, how are you? What's new?"
"You traitorous b*tch!"
"All's not forgiven I see."

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(6).jpg You know, so many of the Gumps' problems could be avoided if they'd just invest in some good window blinds....

No kidding.

... Daily_News_Wed__Oct_1__1941_(9).jpg
Gramps wonders how hard it would be to fake his own death.

Nah, he's old and rich, at this point, just marry the young hottie, do what you can and then die, hopefully, Nelson Rockefeller style

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
WOR booms in like a local after dark, but it's always been a tough catch during the day. But no doubt there were local followers of the Flock whenever they played a night game. The Series, of course, is broadcast coast-to-coast over Mutual, so everybody's listening. And, for the first time this year, there is also a simultaneous broadcast in Spanish to ensure that all the Dodgers' Cuban friends can follow the action. Even Senor Gonzalo.

We have recordings currently available for games 1, 2, and 4 -- the others exist, but haven't yet found their way out of the archives. All the Spanish broadcasts exist too, but none have publicly circulated. And the Eagle plans to put out a World Series Extra this afternoon with the results of today's game, so keep an eye on the newsstands and the candy stores.

The last time I remember a situation such as "The Neighbors" depicts was in an English class in 1978, where the teacher brought in a portable radio and put it on his desk to monitor what has become known as the Bucky Dent Game. I got to hear the first few innings in class, missed a few more, and then got home just in time for the mayhem. That's the last time I remember a game of that level of import being played in the daylight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto