Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

Yep, it's very hard to see the vast majority of Paramount features of the Era. In 1958, the studio sold all but a handful of its sound features from 1929 to 1948 to MCA Television for distribution in various packages to local TV stations. MCA was subsequently absorbed by Universal, which still owns the films today.

The Paramount features were very common on local TV into the 1980s, but they've almost entirely disappeared since then, with the exception of the Lubitsch pictures, the Mae West films, the Marx Brothers, the "Road Pictures," and a few other popular series that have been licensed to TCM for short runs or given video releases. A small number of Paramounts by Crosby, Stanwyck, Carole Lombard, W. C. Fields, and other name stars have been given the box-set treatment by MCA/NBC Universal, but not many. A few films weren't included in the deal for various reasons related to script or story rights, including a few pictures by Billy Wilder, Preston Sturges, and other prominent directors, and have been released on home media by Paramount itself -- but the vast majority of Universal-owned Paramounts haven't been seen anywhere in almost forty years. Universal has resisted the trend toward made-on-demand video release or licensing to streaming services, and seems satisfied to sit on these films indefinitely. "Who wants to see a bunch of old black and white movies with a lot of dead people, when they can see the 1,000,000th rerun of "Jurassic Park?"

Thank you for refreshing my memory (about what you've told me before, but I forgot). It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't try to "monetize" the hell out of these old movies, but maybe, as you note, "rights" issues make it difficult. It's a shame as it seems there are some darn good pictures just rotting away.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of the Paramounts are around on grey-market video labels, and, I guess, on Yoo Toob and other shady venues, usually taken from beaten-up MCA-TV 16mm TV prints. The clock is running out on those particular prints -- they were made on cheap acetate stock and when found are often degrading badly. I own a 16mm MCA print of a 1938 Paramount programmer called "Blossoms on Broadway," a fun little picture with Shirley Ross and Edward Arnold, that will never see the light of day in any kind of a restored version, and it makes me sad that this copy is showing early signs of chemical deterioration, and that whenever I take it out to run it the room fills with the odor of vinegar. It won't be much longer until it won't be projectable at all. I'd enjoy owning a nice 35mm DVD version of "Blossoms on Broadway," but I doubt I ever will.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I read somewhere about how much is going to be lost just because the storage technology is radically changing every few years and, regrettably, things will fall through the cracks.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There are films from the '70s and '80s that are known to survive only as VHS copies. Film might have been a delicate medium, but it's more durable than any video or electronic format. Rampaging digitization means there will, ultimately, be a vast empty space in cultural history when the "digital age" is reached.

Newspapers, the very lifeblood of this thread, are also threatened. As we often see, the microfilm copies are often of poor quality and information is lost that was there in the paper originals -- which, in many cases, no longer exist anywhere. Nicholson Baker's book of several years ago, "Double Fold," has disturbing implications for the future. And now, with newspapers themselves threatened, we face a potential future where there might be no hard-copy primary sources at all. The implications of that aren't just disturbing, they're terrifying.

Farace

Familiar Face
I suggest that you research the project beforehand. There are a number of components beside LED lights and capacitor for each car, and I'll be "led by the hand" (likely after the holidays) in doing my cars by an old pro. I'm anything but an expert- this really is terra incognita for me- but I trust my mentor as he's been modeling trains for at least five decades. (He did the lighting for my brass diner and it's nothing shy of awesome: the lights remain on for a few seconds even after you take it off the track!) I'm keeping fingers crossed on this one, though.

I'm ordering in bulk from an outfit called Mouser Electronics. You may want to check them out while shopping around once you know what you need.

I did a bit of research after I posted. Seems there are a few different ways to accomplish the desired result. I have a decent stash of parts—I was building guitar effect pedals in the past, with many parts ordered from Mouser or Digikey—so I might even have what I need on hand. I’m no expert by a long shot, but I can follow a simple schematic. It should be fun. My passenger cars aren’t anything special, just shake-the-box Athern models that don’t come close to satisfying the rivet counters but look just fine going around the tree. I can paint them the right color, and the right decals are available from the hobby shop. It works for me. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Japanese Premier General Hideki Tojo vowed yesterday that American and British exploitation of the Asiatic peoples will be "purged with a vengeance," as the Tokio press warned of the growing danger of an armed clash if the United States attempts to institute patrols of the Burma Road supply route to China. In a statement issued to mark the anniversary of the Japan-Manchukuo-Nanking Declaration of a New Order in East Asia, Tojo declared that "Chiang Kai-Shek is dancing to the tune of American and British communism, because the United States and Britain desire to fish in troubled waters, throwing the Asiatic peoples against each other. This is the stock in trade of Britain and the United States, and therefore we must purge this sort of action with a vengeance." Tojo further asserted that Japanese domination of the East Asian sphere is "ordained by Providence."

The United States today awaits Japan's decision for war or peace in the Pacific, as the entire Far East, from Vladivostok to the Netherlands East Indies, stands to arms. Official Washington believed last night that a possible invasion of Thailand by Japan will be the spark that will engulf the entire Far East in flames. Informed Washington quarters also foresee a closer tieup between Japan and Germany in efforts to drive American and British interests out of the Orient as more likely than acceptance by Japan of American peace terms. The gravity of the situation last night was expressed by Secretary of State Cordell Hull, who inferred that the Japanese situation is passing from the diplomatic to the military sphere. In accord with that view, the United States is taking preparatory defense measures in the Philippines, Hawaii, and its nether Pacific island possessions.

The Red Army was confirmed last night as having retaken Rostov, gateway to the Caucasus, with 5000 German troops killed and the remnant of General Ewald von Kleist's panzer corps sent fleeing in disorder, westward toward Taganrok. The Rostov victory was described in London as the greatest Soviet triumph yet in the war, and a classic illustration of the tactic of "retirement and counterattack." Radio Moscow reports the Soviet forces to be in "hot pursuit" of the fleeing Germans along the road to Taganrok, with the Soviet High Command declaring the "complete annihilation" of General von Kleist's entire corps.

Railroad and union representatives will parley again in an attempt to forestall a threatened nationwide rail strike due on December 7th. Immediate resumption of negotiations was requested last night by Wayne Lyman Morse, chairman of President Roosevelt's fact-finding board that will sit in on the negotiations as a mediation group. "It is of the utmost importance to the country," declared Mr. Morse, "that there be no strike."

The fate of Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss, and Louis Capone is now in the hands of a blue-ribbon jury, following a lengthy charge last night to jurors in Kings County Court by Judge Franklin Taylor. After reviewing the case against the three underworld figures for the 1936 murder of Brownsville candy-store man Joseph Rosen for nearly three hours, Judge Taylor sent the jurors into deliberation shortly after 6pm. The jury received the case following a three-hour and twenty-five minute summation by Assistant District Attorney Burton Turkus, who pointed out that while many of the prosecution witnesses against the three defendants "were not choirboys" nor "from the halls of Harvard," the testimony of the many gangland figures against the defendants was nonetheless of great weight in for the first time fingering "the boss, the lieutenant, and the trigger man" in a mobster killing.

The City Councilman who has introduced a bill to abolish Proportional Representation in the election of Council members told the Brooklyn Eagle yesterday that he has received threats as a result of his support of that proposal. Councilman Louis Cohen, a Bronx Democrat who serves as the chairman of the Council's committee on state legislation, says that he has received threats thru the mail "warning, threatening, and condemning" him for working to repeal P. R., and further asserts that one of the letters he has received came from "a Communist source." The move to repeal P. R. has come in response to the recent election of Brooklyn Communist Peter V. Cacchione to a Council seat.

Presentments concerning a link between police corruption in Brooklyn and local gambling rackets will be handed in by the Amen Grand Jury within the next two weeks, according to an Amen Office spokesman. Twenty-five high-ranking police officers in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan are expected to be named in those presentments, with "further repercussions" expected.

In Cleveland, Ohio, the mother of a boy who died of alcohol poisoning after attempted to win a bet by drinking a gallon of wine is suing the proprietors of a cafe for $25,000 in damages. Mrs. Anna Washner is seeking the damages for the death of her 20-year-old son Anthony, who on Christmas Day 1939 bet a bartender in the restaurant his weekly pay that he could drink that quantity of wine without getting drunk. After drinking two quarts of wine, the youth fell asleep and never woke up.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_.jpg

("Hah!" hahs Joe. "Ain'nat stupid? I ASK YA!" "Yeh," yehs Sally. "Wassawoil' comin' ta?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(1).jpg
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(2).jpg
(Football, ya ya ya, whatever. Boxing, who cares. FIRE UP THE HOT STOVE!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(3).jpg
(It may be just the murky reproduction, but I honestly didn't expect a rugged hockey veteran like Mr. Dutton to look so much like Harry Langdon.)

Old Timer John P. Pfalzgraff reminisces about the old Bijou Theatre at Smith and Livingston Streets, where the old-time mellerdramas once held sway, featuring casts made up almost entirely of members of the Spooner family, who also managed the house. But even better than the plays was the marvelous Claude Thardo, who danced the buck-and-wing and the jog dance better than anyone, despite having a lame leg and appearing on stage with a crutch. "He sang too. Wasn't a Caruso, but the girls loved him."

They call it "Hellzapoppin' with a superiority complex." That's all Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson will say about their new revue "Sons o' Fun," opening tomorrow night at the Winter Garden. The new show arrives in New York after a four-week standing-room-only trial run in Boston, and the boys promise it will contain "no propaganda, messages, satire, romance, or spectacle," but will contain laughs and laughs only, along with perhaps a dash of Carmen Miranda. The original "Hellzapoppin'," meanwhile will continue under Jay C. Flippen and Happy Felton at the Majestic, giving Ole and Chic for the time being a corner for on Broadway zaniness.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(4).jpg

(Red is notable among funny-paper cowboys for his respect for tribal customs.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(5).jpg

(There was a Superman story where he went undercover to deal with a similar evil reform-school warden, but he had to settle for grinding the guy's face into a plate of rancid mess-hall slop. I must say Scarlet does take things to the next level.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(6).jpg

(Madame Chiang was quite a media figure in the US in the latter months of 1941, helping to make up for her husband's utter lack of personal charisma.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(7).jpg

(Poor Bill. He used to have dignity, but them days is gone forever. And -- uh -- those drapes don't even touch the floor.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(8).jpg

(Mr. Tuthill is having trouble with his assistants again.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(9).jpg

(So THERE, Dagga Ramba! I guess YOU got told!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_.jpg
Maine has a reputation as a "mind your own business" kind of place that is -- and always was -- entirely unfounded. If something is going on in any small town, you can be certain that *everyone* knows about it.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(1).jpg
Hey, c'mon now, "Club Matinee" is a pretty good show.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(2).jpg
Does the oil-company jobber know about this? Is it in the lease?

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(3).jpg
Downwind says "R U A L O N E" And she says "Y E S." But we don't see the part where she adds "A N D I L I K E IT"

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(4).jpg
Yeah, while Warbucks sits and whines like a little whiney whiner, Bim is out there financing EMP experiments. WHO'S THE REAL GLOBE-DOMINATING BILLIONAIRE?

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(5).jpg

"BLOOM!?"

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(6).jpg

As I recall, Terry has a uniquely poor record in blackouts.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(7).jpg
Fish in a barrel.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(8).jpg
Ah, pine cones -- also the weapon of choice in my neighborhood. They were especially effective when frozen.

Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(9).jpg
Never trust anyone who says "Ahhhhh, how fortunate that I was passing by."

...The fate of Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss, and Louis Capone is now in the hands of a blue-ribbon jury, following a lengthy charge last night to jurors in Kings County Court by Judge Franklin Taylor. After reviewing the case against the three underworld figures for the 1936 murder of Brownsville candy-store man Joseph Rosen for nearly three hours, Judge Taylor sent the jurors into deliberation shortly after 6pm. The jury received the case following a three-hour and twenty-five minute summation by Assistant District Attorney Burton Turkus, who pointed out that while many of the prosecution witnesses against the three defendants "were not choirboys" nor "from the halls of Harvard," the testimony of the many gangland figures against the defendants was nonetheless of great weight in for the first time fingering "the boss, the lieutenant, and the trigger man" in a mobster killing....

"The jury received the case following a three-hour and twenty-five minute summation by Assistant District Attorney Burton Turkus"

Unbelievably, we have a 1941 color clip from the trial of one of the jurors attentively listening to the summation speech:
5uc.gif

...Presentments concerning a link between police corruption in Brooklyn and local gambling rackets will be handed in by the Amen Grand Jury within the next two weeks, according to an Amen Office spokesman. Twenty-five high-ranking police officers in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan are expected to be named in those presentments, with "further repercussions" expected....

And here we have an early look at the accused officers' defense strategy:
casablanca-shocked.gif

...They call it "Hellzapoppin' with a superiority complex." That's all Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson will say about their new revue "Sons o' Fun," opening tomorrow night at the Winter Garden. The new show arrives in New York after a four-week standing-room-only trial run in Boston, and the boys promise it will contain "no propaganda, messages, satire, romance, or spectacle," but will contain laughs and laughs only, along with perhaps a dash of Carmen Miranda. The original "Hellzapoppin'," meanwhile will continue under Jay C. Flippen and Happy Felton at the Majestic, giving Ole and Chic for the time being a corner for on Broadway zaniness....

"Hellzapoppin'" is an awesome name for its show, "Sons o' Fun," not so much.

... The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(7).jpg
(Poor Bill. He used to have dignity, but them days is gone forever. And -- uh -- those drapes don't even touch the floor.)...

At least Excellency has clearly read The Fedora Lounge Rulebook for Killing a TV, Movie or Comic-Strip Enemy.

... Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_.jpg Maine has a reputation as a "mind your own business" kind of place that is -- and always was -- entirely unfounded. If something is going on in any small town, you can be certain that *everyone* knows about it....

Sadly my first thought reading that article was, "Boy, I haven't had maple-pecan ice-cream in forever, I should pick some up."

I'm with the judge, my impression is not that he's innocent.

I think we now have a new Page 4 record bride-bridegroom age spread: 51 years.

Lot of Page 4 typos today (says the typo king).

... View attachment 383470 Yeah, while Warbucks sits and whines like a little whiney whiner, Bim is out there financing EMP experiments. WHO'S THE REAL GLOBE-DOMINATING BILLIONAIRE?...

"...while Warbucks sits and whines like a little whiney whiner..." :)

... Daily_News_Sun__Nov_30__1941_(6).jpg
As I recall, Terry has a uniquely poor record in blackouts...."

Terry's, umm, lack of success, despite many opportunities, makes him a perfect target for the old joke that ends, "...with a fist full of pardon's in a women's prison."

Now we'll see what April's made of.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Secretary of State Cordell Hull conferred with Japan's two envoys for an hour and five minutes this morning on the Far Eastern crisis, while President Roosevelt arrived back at the White House from Warm Springs, Georgia, prepared to deal first hand with the momentous problems arising from the Far Eastern tension. Shortly after concluding his discussion with the Japanese diplomats, Secretary Hull went to the White House where he conferred for an hour in private with the President.

It was learned, meanwhile, that an important backstage factor in the United States' stand toward Japan is the possibility of weakening Chinese resistance against the Japanese. A message from Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek to President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill warned that if sufficient pilots and planes are not sent to China by the US and Britain, his government may be forced to "negotiate a separate peace" with Japan.

The Japanese envoys left the State Department this morning in a sober mood. Special Envoy Saburo Kurusu left doubt that there would be further discussions with Secretary Hull, commenting only that he would meet again with the Secretary if he is "instructed to that effect." But he later amended that remark to suggest today's conference "was not to be regarded as the end of the talks."

In Tokio, a leading Japanese newspaper acknowledged today that the discussions with the United States "face difficulty," and warned that the Japanese government "is making preparations to meet every eventuality." The authoritative newspaper Nichi adopted a pessimistic tone, emphasizing that Japan will not alter its view that the United States "misunderstands the Far Eastern situation." The Japanese Cabinet met for 75 minutes today to review the results of weekend consultations with various leaders over reports from the Japanese envoys now in the United States. It was resolved by the Cabinet that the discussions should continue.

Great Britain has put its territories in the Far East and the South Seas on a full war basis, from Hong Kong to Singapore to Australia. Amidst hints that "developments were possible within a week," the British military and naval commands have responded to the declaration of a state of emergency by proceeding with full mobilization. Some of Britain's largest warships are now reported to be present in the Pacific area, with additional naval reinforcements en route. It is also reported that American forces are taking "emergency steps," following a secret meeting between Admiral Thomas C. Hart, commander-in-chief of the US Asiatic Fleet, and General Douglas MacArthur, commander-in-chief of the U. S. Army in the Far East, and members of their staffs. No official comment, however, on American preparations has been issued.

Russian troops led by hard-charging Cossack cavalrymen are pursuing fleeing German troops thru villages littered with Nazi dead along the Rostov front, while other Soviet forces from the north threaten to encircle the retreating Germans. Reports from the Tass news agency broadcast over Radio Moscow today also asserted smashing victories along the Tula front 100 miles southwest of Moscow, where Cossack horsemen are said to be "demoralizing" the Germans with their tactics and, aided by strong air support, are mounting a new counter-offensive to drive them back.

An all-night parley to resolve wage-scale questions in order to avoid a nationwide railroad strike will continue all day today if necessary, according to the head of President Roosevelt's special fact-finding board. Chairman Wayne Lyman Morse reconvened the conference in Washington with union and railroad officials after a 90 minute break early this morning, and promised the discussions will not be adjourned until an agreement is reached.

A State witness in the murder trial of Frank "Big Boy" Davino admitted under oath today that he paid off a court attendant in 1938 to secure the "fixing" of a judge and a state Senator in order to arrange for a suspended sentence. Max Mokotoff, who testified last week that Davino admitted to him that he had killed Fireman Thomas J. Hutter during a payroll holdup in 1938, testified today that, while awaiting sentencing in Special Sessions court on a petty larceny conviction, he handed over $500 to a court attache with the understanding that it would go to a judge and a senator in order to ensure that his sentence would be suspended. Pressed by Judge Samuel Leibowitz on the specific sum paid, Mokotoff withdrew his testimony that it was exactly $500, and instead stated that it was simply "a sum." Mokotoff did not, in the end, receive a suspended sentence, instead drawing two years in Sing Sing for the crime. Mokotoff also denied serving as a "stool pigeon" for the Amen Office, although he did acknowledge that he had spoken to a representative of the special prosecutor investigating official corruption in Brooklyn.

The Brooklyn Eagle will tomorrow begin publication of a series of articles exploring the question of Proportional Representation in City Council elections. The symposium will outline the views of leading citizens on the still-little-understood system that has determined Council representation since 1939.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_.jpg

(A busy Monday.)

Restrictions on automobile production for 1942 may ban the manufacture of any models other than two and four-door sedans, and eliminate all brightwork, wool upholstery, rubber floor mats, radios, cigar lighters, clocks, dual tail lights, extra horns, and any other unnecessary luxuries. Production of station wagons, roadsters, coupes, convertibles, and limousines would be specifically prohibited under the regulations now under consideration by the Office of Production Management. Production would also be restricted to no more than two models per make. Paint colors would also face strict new restrictions.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_.jpg
(Whoa, I can't wait to hear Molly Picon telling Fulton Lewis where to get off. This could be the most exciting show of the year. And the Dodgers move to WHN for next year, for Old Golds. Hope Red doesn't forget himself and call them "the Breakfast of Champions.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(1).jpg
(This is the winter America becomes Carmen Miranda-conscious.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(2).jpg

(He's not in the chair yet.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(3).jpg

(Settle down boys, price controls are coming.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(4).jpg

(Mr. Holmes makes an important point here. Every single regular on the 1941 Dodgers was acquired, thru trade or purchase, from some other organization. They accuse Yawkey of the Red Sox of "trying to buy a pennant," but Larry is the man who actually went out and did it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(5).jpg
(Sparky has more sidekicks than any other superhero, all of them completely useless.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(6).jpg

(Dumm is merely a projection of poor messed-up George's id.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(7).jpg

(YOU HOLLYWOOD CHARACTERS ARE ALL THE SAME)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(8).jpg
(Ummm, it's the first place they looked.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_.jpg
It's just the end of the second act.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(1).jpg

(And it's sold in cans for your home-coffee-swilling convenience.)

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(2).jpg

In 1941 only Massachusetts requires motorists to carry liability insurance. The law discussed here is a compromise plan intended to avoid a flat-out mandate.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(3).jpg
"And you, my slick-pated friend -- perhaps I might explain the benefits of my goat-gland transplant surgery?"

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(4).jpg
It's very fortunate for Andy that every adversary he encounters is even skinnier than he is.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(5).jpg
"A cockroach and -- what's that, a carpet beetle? Must've fallen out of Chigger's toupee."

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(6).jpg
C'mon now, this is no time for Arthur Askey impressions.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(7).jpg

Now that's what you call Super Service.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(8).jpg
With loose joints like this I bet Emmy would have made a great eccentric dancer.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(9).jpg
LEAVE TOWN. NOW.

Secretary of State Cordell Hull conferred with Japan's two envoys for an hour and five minutes this morning on the Far Eastern crisis, while President Roosevelt arrived back at the White House from Warm Springs, Georgia, prepared to deal first hand with the momentous problems arising from the Far Eastern tension. Shortly after concluding his discussion with the Japanese diplomats, Secretary Hull went to the White House where he conferred for an hour in private with the President.

It was learned, meanwhile, that an important backstage factor in the United States' stand toward Japan is the possibility of weakening Chinese resistance against the Japanese. A message from Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek to President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill warned that if sufficient pilots and planes are not sent to China by the US and Britain, his government may be forced to "negotiate a separate peace" with Japan.

The Japanese envoys left the State Department this morning in a sober mood. Special Envoy Saburo Kurusu left doubt that there would be further discussions with Secretary Hull, commenting only that he would meet again with the Secretary if he is "instructed to that effect." But he later amended that remark to suggest today's conference "was not to be regarded as the end of the talks."

In Tokio, a leading Japanese newspaper acknowledged today that the discussions with the United States "face difficulty," and warned that the Japanese government "is making preparations to meet every eventuality." The authoritative newspaper Nichi adopted a pessimistic tone, emphasizing that Japan will not alter its view that the United States "misunderstands the Far Eastern situation." The Japanese Cabinet met for 75 minutes today to review the results of weekend consultations with various leaders over reports from the Japanese envoys now in the United States. It was resolved by the Cabinet that the discussions should continue.

Great Britain has put its territories in the Far East and the South Seas on a full war basis, from Hong Kong to Singapore to Australia. Amidst hints that "developments were possible within a week," the British military and naval commands have responded to the declaration of a state of emergency by proceeding with full mobilization. Some of Britain's largest warships are now reported to be present in the Pacific area, with additional naval reinforcements en route. It is also reported that American forces are taking "emergency steps," following a secret meeting between Admiral Thomas C. Hart, commander-in-chief of the US Asiatic Fleet, and General Douglas MacArthur, commander-in-chief of the U. S. Army in the Far East, and members of their staffs. No official comment, however, on American preparations has been issued....

These daily paper posts really show how the tension built to Pearl Harbor. I've read a lot of WWII history and know most of what we're reading, but still, seeing it develop day by day in these posts, reveals how much a person in 1941 could "feel" the march to war - could "feel" that something was likely to happen in the Pacific, shortly.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(1).jpg (This is the winter America becomes Carmen Miranda-conscious.)...

"Three dating, -" two girls going out with one guy owing to the draft-caused shortage of men - is a term I don't think I've heard before. Although, Pat Ryan, Smilin' Jack, Downwind, Shadow, heck, even Terry could have used it at times.

Kudos to "Gotham Grapevine" writer Harold Conrad for stretching the thin Billingsley material to three fat paragraphs.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(4).jpg
(Mr. Holmes makes an important point here. Every single regular on the 1941 Dodgers was acquired, thru trade or purchase, from some other organization. They accuse Yawkey of the Red Sox of "trying to buy a pennant," but Larry is the man who actually went out and did it.)...

I'm as guilty as the next fan as all we are rooting for is a certain colored jersey and a romanticized "idea" of a team. Over the years, it has made me much-less loyal and passionate, but I still enjoy rooting for "my" team.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(7).jpg
(YOU HOLLYWOOD CHARACTERS ARE ALL THE SAME)...

"...cooking up a lot of purple pages for her diary...," I believe is a reference to actress Mary Astor's famous "Purple Diary" in which she, in explicit detailed, recounted her extra-marital sex life. And the Diary, of course, became public in a very scandalous court case in the 1930s. (Comments on the book "Mary Astor's Purple Dairy" here #7159)

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_.jpg It's just the end of the second act....

"...Jospeh Rosen a Brooklyn confectioner and one-time trucking contractor." That's not your average resume, but hmm, let's see if we can think of a commonality between candy stores and the trucking business in the 1930s and '40s.

... Daily_News_Mon__Dec_1__1941_(3).jpg "And you, my slick-pated friend -- perhaps I might explain the benefits of my goat-gland transplant surgery?"....

Here's the tiny notice at the bottom of today's strip that should make Annie's hair stand on end: "As Harold Gray takes a much needed two weeks off, that famous writer of "Dicky Tracy," Chester Gould, will be subbing in."

Doesn't it feel, especially in the last panel, like Gould is taking over?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A powerful Axis tank attack broke thru the British trap in the Libyan desert today, according to official reports, renewing the siege of Tobruk and driving British Imperial forces from Sidi Rezegh and Bir El Hamid. The Germans "nipped off the end of the appendix that barred their way westward, and made a junction in the Sidi Rezegh-Bir El Hamid-Zaaran triangle," according to those reports. A British military spokesman, however, emphasized that "this is one round for them, but the next round is coming up, and it can be assumed that operations are now taking place to restore the corridor from Tobruk to Sidi Rezegh." It was observed that heavy British tank and infantry reinforcements are being rushed into battle.

The Australian cruiser Sydney, scourge of the Italian Navy and hero of a score of engagments, has succumbed, it was believed today, to wounds suffered in an attack that nevertheless sank the crack German raider Stelermarck, destroyer of ten Allied ships. The sinkings occurred, in a blazing duel to the death, sometime before November 26th. There are no known survivors.

The Red Army claimed further smashing victories today in fighting on the Moscow, Leningrad, and Rostov fronts. Official reports from the Moscow radio reported that Germans are fleeing after abandoning equipment on the Tula sector south of Moscow, and that Soviet troops have retaken the village of Barabanov. It is also reported that Nazi forces are "threatened with disaster" in the Tagnarog sector of the Ukraine after falling back from Rostov, and that "six strategic positions" have been retaken by Red Army troops around Leningrad.

In London, it is reported that the British Government has given Finland "one very last chance" to explain its status as an ally of Nazi Germany against Russia.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_.jpg
(There will, of course, be an appeal. This isn't going to be one of those "have a seat we'll be right with you" executions.)

The pro-Axis leader of Japan's Tohokai Nationalist Organization today denounced the Japanese Government for sending special envoy Saburo Kurusu to confer with the United States, and declared that any compromise settlement with the US will "lead to Japan's downfall." Addressing a public gathering Tokio's great Hibiya Hall, Tohokai leader Segio Nakano demanded that the Tojo government resort to force, such as "sinking American transports," if the US refuses to accept "Japan's terms of peace," which include the demand that the US cease all aid to China.

The chairman of the House Military Affairs Committee today suggested that President Roosevelt should tell the Japanese people that, unless they renounce their ambitions for an empire in South Asia, the United States "will blast them off the land and blow them off the water." Representative Andrew J. May (D-Kentucky) told reporters that Congress will support a declaration of war now, if Japan continues to move southward. "The American people are sorer at the Japanese people now than they are at Hitler," insisted Rep. May. "They're nothing but a warlike people."

A soon-to-be former City Councilman who lost his seat due to Proportional Representation says that he nevertheless continues to support the system. Dr. Harry W. Laidler, Brooklyn-born scholar, economist, writer and lecturer on social problems, was a strong supporter of P. R. when he was elected to the Council under P. R. two years ago, and he remains so today, a month after P. R. voting cost him his council seat. "As a supporter of this democratic measure I do not contend, and have never contended, that P. R. works with machine-like precision," declared Dr. Laidler in expressing his opposition to a recent Eagle editorial calling for the repeal of P. R. voting in council races. "I have supported P. R. because I believed that it provides a more satisfactory method of representation than does the old system of election from particular wards of the city." Dr. Laidler also declared that his view is not shaken by the election of Communist Peter V. Cacchione to a council seat last month. "I hold no brief for Communists," he maintained, "but P. R. should not be abolished because in three councilmanic elections, and in one election out of sixty across the United States, one Communist hapened to make the grade."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_.jpg

("Ya think," wonders Sally, "when you'n me is 84, t'at we'll still be doin' t' Big Apple?" "I'll be satisified," sighs Joe, nudging a sorely negelcted tooth with his tongue, "if I c'n still EAT a Big Apple.")

Sheffield Farms Company, Inc., one of New York City's largest distributors of fluid milk, denied today a Federal Trade Commission charge that it has "dominated" the Eastern Milk Producers Cooperative Association since it was formed in 1922. Sheffield president F. J. Andre insists that the farmers themselves formed the Association to bargain for milk prices, and denied that Sheffield has influenced or attempted to influence that cooperative in the years since. The FTC made the allegation as part of an investigation of unfair trade practices on the part of the milk company.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(1).jpg

(So in other words, "Sons O' Fun" is "Hellzapoppin'" with the volume turned up to 9. And never mind Miss Miranda, it's got Ella Logan, one of the finest jazz singers of her generation, and without question the finest *Scottish* jazz singer of all time. Och, aye!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(2).jpg

(Not quite the turning point yet, but at least you get the sense that there *will be* a turning point.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(3).jpg

("No Fault Insurance?" What's that?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(4).jpg
(Reiser for Vander Meer? Yeah, that'd be a swell deal -- in 1939.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(5).jpg

("All right, now that we have this all worked out, let's knock off for lunch and get together again in an hour? That work for everybody? How about 1:30 then?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(6).jpg
("Well -- ah -- I'm glad you agree with me that -- ah -- the lamp was, as you say, 'nothing extra," so -- ah --- I'm sure you'd also agree that -- ah -- whoever might have -- ah -- gotten rid of -- ah -- removed it might have -- ah -- done us a favor?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(7).jpg

(Point of order -- isn't it MARY's job to make the cruel and selfish villainess discover the error of her ways? Does this mean that Mary, like poor Bill and Dennie, will now be relegated purely to Sunday page antics? Should we just go ahead and change the name of the strip to "TOM KANE, DOPEY EDITOR?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(8).jpg

("An...underground base! I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_.jpg

Yep, he sure looks like a Perfect Gentleman. You sure that's not a picture of Lepke?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(1).jpg

Poor Mrs. Guggenheim just can't get a break.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(2).jpg
And here's a boy we haven't heard from in a while. Nice to see he's not lost his touch.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(3).jpg
OK Punj, get ready with the rug.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(4).jpg
"A snazzy little puff?" Hey Sammy, you aren't from Covina by any chance?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(5).jpg
YEAH MOLE, WAIT'LL YOU SEE WHAT GOULD'S GOT IN STORE FOR YA!

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(6).jpg
Andy Gump, Golden Gloves champ for 1911.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(7).jpg

"Hey Bounce, what's this with you and Bevel?"

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(8).jpg

Willie and Mamie, and the Plushbottoms, are the only couples we see in the comics sharing double beds. Ain't romance wonderful?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(9).jpg
"Hey!" yells Shadow Smart. "That's MY act!"

...The pro-Axis leader of Japan's Tohokai Nationalist Organization today denounced the Japanese Government for sending special envoy Saburo Kurusu to confer with the United States, and declared that any compromise settlement with the US will "lead to Japan's downfall." Addressing a public gathering Tokio's great Hibiya Hall, Tohokai leader Segio Nakano demanded that the Tojo government resort to force, such as "sinking American transports," if the US refuses to accept "Japan's terms of peace," which include the demand that the US cease all aid to China.

The chairman of the House Military Affairs Committee today suggested that President Roosevelt should tell the Japanese people that, unless they renounce their ambitions for an empire in South Asia, the United States "will blast them off the land and blow them off the water." Representative Andrew J. May (D-Kentucky) told reporters that Congress will support a declaration of war now, if Japan continues to move southward. "The American people are sorer at the Japanese people now than they are at Hitler," insisted Rep. May. "They're nothing but a warlike people."...

It was a surprise attack as war hadn't been declared, but December 7th didn't come out of nowhere. Those are some pretty harsh stances on both sides. To be sure, they aren't the official position of either gov't, but they are coming from prominent people.

... View attachment 383969
(So in other words, "Sons O' Fun" is "Hellzapoppin'" with the volume turned up to 9. And never mind Miss Miranda, it's got Ella Logan, one of the finest jazz singers of her generation, and without question the finest *Scottish* jazz singer of all time. Och, aye!)...

I'm just guessing, but I assume the "proper" theater crowd looks down on these shows?

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(6).jpg ("Well -- ah -- I'm glad you agree with me that -- ah -- the lamp was, as you say, 'nothing extra," so -- ah --- I'm sure you'd also agree that -- ah -- whoever might have -- ah -- gotten rid of -- ah -- removed it might have -- ah -- done us a favor?")...

In the relatively short time I've been following "The Bungles," they've changed a lot. First they got all that money so they don't seem, anymore, to be worried about paying their bills all the time and, now, George seems to be honestly working hard at a job that, amazingly, appears to suit him. This strip has come a long way in a short time.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(7).jpg
(Point of order -- isn't it MARY's job to make the cruel and selfish villainess discover the error of her ways? Does this mean that Mary, like poor Bill and Dennie, will now be relegated purely to Sunday page antics? Should we just go ahead and change the name of the strip to "TOM KANE, DOPEY EDITOR?")...

I wouldn't worry about it too much as there's a pretty good chance Connie will kill Tom, so they'll have to bring Mary back into the story. Personally, I miss Leona Stockpool.

... Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(1).jpg
Poor Mrs. Guggenheim just can't get a break....

In the 1990s, the trading floor I was working on facilitated a trade of Czarist Russian bonds for 17 cents on the dollar. It's the only time I ever saw those bonds trade. I was amazed that they were even worth that much. The only explanation I heard was there was a belief out there that to "legitimize" itself with the financial markets, the new post-communist Russian government would "honor," in some way, those old pre-communist debts (since the total amounts involved were pretty small after eighty years of inflation). I'm pretty sure nothing ever came of it as I think it would have made some news. It is one of the oddest trades I've ever seen.

A... Daily_News_Tue__Dec_2__1941_(4).jpg "A snazzy little puff?" Hey Sammy, you aren't from Covina by any chance? ...

That line did kinda stand out. IRL, now is when April should be getting very worried.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Olsen and Johnson were a team that never got much respect from anyone except their fans and other comedians -- they did lowball goofy humor that at the same time absolutely deconstructed all the polite conventions of the stage, even more so than the Marx Brothers or Clark and McCullough had. There is also no time in history other than the time we're concerned with now where shows like these could have successfully existed -- in the 1920s, there was zaniness, but it had to be kept within the bounds of the stage. Groucho or Bobby Clark might have toyed with "the fourth wall," but until Olsen and Johnson, nobody had actually obliterated that wall and extended the show right into the literal audience. And then after the war, the theatre went back to taking itself so seriously with ART and all that, that Broadway comedy had to become realistic and "adult" just to keep any place at all.

Nowadays, of course, Broadway comedy is completely dead. There'll never be another real revue, let alone a self-referential, self-annihilative revue like Olsen and Johnson did.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A sweeping shakeup of the entire New York City detective force was indicated today by Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine, in a new development in the continuing conflict between the Police Department and District Attorney William O'Dwyer. Shortly after Commissioner Valentine announced the impending "reorganization and readjustment" of the detective bureau, Acting Captain Frank Bals, in command of the detective squad attached to Mr. O'Dwyer's office, announced his resignation, effective at midnight tonight. The resignation followed an order by the Commissioner that Bals, an old friend of the District Attorney, to provide an hour-by-hour report of all of his men back to April 1st of this year, and the refusal of Mr. O'Dwyer to permit the examination of his office's records. Mayor LaGuardia responded to these developments by striking out at Mr. O'Dwyer for his lack of cooperation. "It is about time that these innuendoes ceased," declared the Mayor, "and we got some work done." The Mayor was likely referring to rumors that the District Attorney fears "embarrassment" over potential revelations concerning the activities of a high city official, a former police official, and a nationally-known labor leader, but the Mayor brushed those rumors aside in demanding "all we want is the time sheets of our men."

The shakeup ordered by Commissioner Valentine is expected to begin later this afternoon, with teletype orders going out from Police Headquarters to all precincts, expected to detail far-reaching changes in assignments and in commands. The shakeup follows the announcement earlier this week by the Amen grand jury that presentments can be expected soon concerning the Amen Office's investigation of police complicity in Brooklyn's gambling rackets. In addition, there are intimations that the shakeup is also linked to the mysterious death of Abe Reles, with the Mayor declaring that he has been "terribly worried these past six or seven years because of the duties the police have of caring for and living with these witnesses." Reles, key witness in the Murder For Money trials, last month plunged to his death from a sixth-floor window while under police guard.

The House Appropriations Committee today approved an $8,243,839,031 supplementary defense appropriation bill intended to fund expansion of the Army to 2,000,000 men immediately, and to raise United States expenditures during the current war to $67,990,254,096 -- already twice the amount spent during the World War. The bill, which carries funds for the Army, the Navy, Lend-Lease administration, defense housing, highway, power, and flood-control projects, is expected to receive approval from the full House this week. The committee at the same time released secret testimony by high military officials who acknowledged that preparations are being made for "a long war."

Basic differences in the national policies of Japan and the United States were emphasized today at a press conference by Secretary of State Cordell Hull, during which the Secretary accused Japan of setting up "military despotism" in conquered countries. The Secretary further acknowledged that months of exploratory conversations have never reached a stage where actual negotiations of a peaceful settlement of differences between the US and Japan could be undertaken. The Secretary revealed his "pessimistic view" of the present situation as President Roosevelt awaits a response from Tokio to his demand for an explanation of heavy Japanese troop concentrations in French Indo-China, in excess of the 25,000 men agreed upon by the Vichy French government.

The Red Army is pushing now into the suburbs of Tagnarog, after clearing German forces from Rostov, according to reports from Radio Moscow. Forces under the command of Marshal Semyon Timoshenko are making their advance as Soviet forces hold back Nazi offensives against Moscow in two key sectors, and are counterattacking along a salient south of the capital city.

A woman plunged to her death from the 21st floor of the St. George Hotel in downtown Brooklyn this morning, leaving behind in her room $2000 in cash, a diamond-studded bracelet worth several additional thousands, and a note addressed to her husband and her sister. Police identified the woman as 55-year-old Margaret Pierson of Manhattan, who had been missing since Sunday night. She had checked into the hotel yesterday under the name of Mabel Morton of Los Angeles. Her husband told police she had undergone an operation four years ago and had been "intermittently ill" in the time since.

Summations expected to last for five days began today in the Brooklyn Federal Court trial of fourteen persons accused of spying on behalf of Nazi Germany. The trial opened September 8th, and is expected to go to the jury by the end of next week.

A 40-year-old Myrtle Avenue woman was charged with disorderly conduct after police found her handing out dollar bills to a crowd in the BMT's Canal Street station in Manhattan. Miss May Browne was peeling the bills off a roll that stood at $511 when police put a stop to her largesse. Miss Browne protested that she had every right to give away her own money if she wanted, and declared that all she was trying to do was wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Democratic City Councilman Edward Vogel of Brooklyn calls Proportional Representation a waste of money, and "a Frankenstein monster that defeats its own purpose. Mr. Vogel, reelected to the Council last month with a total of more than 71,000 votes, told the Eagle's P. R. symposium that he believes the complicated process of tabulating votes under the system costs between $250,000 and $500,000 a year, and yields results where the Brooklyn Republican Party, representing about a third of the voting public gets no seats, while the Communists, representing less than 3 percent of the voters, get a seat. Mr. Vogel commended the Eagle for its recent editorial calling for the repeal of P. R., and stated that "like Prohibition, P. R. is noble in theory, but a dismal and dangerous failure in practice."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_.jpg
(Table top bowling is a trend in San Juan? I had no idea.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(1).jpg

(I have a stamp book containing 6 25-cent defense stamps. By my reckoning that entitles me to 30 yards of government-grade barbed wire. Where do I collect?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(2).jpg

(Maybe Fitz ought to give up on the bowling alley and open a roller rink. I'd pay good money to see him on skates.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(3).jpg

("Ain'nat t'limit?" snorts Sally. "A growed woman all hepped up 'bout some dopey crooneh. What grade you in, hon, 8-B?" "Yeh," nods Joe. "Ain't like he c'n play secon' base." "What?" snaps Sally. "Nut'n.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(4).jpg

(Corporals Today.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(5).jpg
(All together, Brooklyn -- "IS BILL TERRY STILL IN THE LEAGUE?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(6).jpg

(Why does it look like they're fighting the Ritz Brothers?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(7).jpg
(George learns the meaning of "select clientele.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(8).jpg

(Roquefort? More like Limburger.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(9).jpg
(Yes Dan, by all means. Try the steps. That's slick detective work. Bungle should be taking notes.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_.jpg
I was really looking forward to getting Wheeler on the stand. THIRD DEGREE! And I'm sorry, but nobody who spells their name "Lucyele" could possibly be innocent of anything.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(1).jpg
Get the hand vacuum *and* the traveling roulette set, and you'll really suck up the winnings!

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(2).jpg

I dunno, if I had to guess I'd suspect poor Mrs. Stalhis has more than enough cause to drink herself.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(3).jpg

You can tell this guy isn't evil because he doesn't have an evil goatee.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(4).jpg

So we can be pretty sure the Mole won't freeze to death, because we just had that whole cold-storage routine with Little Face, and we know Gould doesn't like to repeat himself. 3-1 he suffocates, 5-1 he starves to death, 10-1 he dies in a cave-in, 100-1 he's gnawed to death by actual moles. I dunno. Are moles carnivorous? Maybe we'll see.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(5).jpg
Shouldna been so quick about beating up that swami.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(6).jpg

Bless your heart.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(7).jpg
Or maybe Bevel is a SPY, ASSASSIN, AND SABOTEUR! Or maybe not.

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(8).jpg
Ha ha, Willie's going straight to hell. Give our regards to Sammy!

Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(9).jpg

To be fair to Honey, would you really want to go thru life married to a guy who willingly answers to "Goofy?"

A sweeping shakeup of the entire New York City detective force was indicated today by Police Commissioner Lewis J. Valentine, in a new development in the continuing conflict between the Police Department and District Attorney William O'Dwyer. Shortly after Commissioner Valentine announced the impending "reorganization and readjustment" of the detective bureau, Acting Captain Frank Bals, in command of the detective squad attached to Mr. O'Dwyer's office, announced his resignation, effective at midnight tonight. The resignation followed an order by the Commissioner that Bals, an old friend of the District Attorney, to provide an hour-by-hour report of all of his men back to April 1st of this year, and the refusal of Mr. O'Dwyer to permit the examination of his office's records. Mayor LaGuardia responded to these developments by striking out at Mr. O'Dwyer for his lack of cooperation. "It is about time that these innuendoes ceased," declared the Mayor, "and we got some work done." The Mayor was likely referring to rumors that the District Attorney fears "embarrassment" over potential revelations concerning the activities of a high city official, a former police official, and a nationally-known labor leader, but the Mayor brushed those rumors aside in demanding "all we want is the time sheets of our men."

The shakeup ordered by Commissioner Valentine is expected to begin later this afternoon, with teletype orders going out from Police Headquarters to all precincts, expected to detail far-reaching changes in assignments and in commands. The shakeup follows the announcement earlier this week by the Amen grand jury that presentments can be expected soon concerning the Amen Office's investigation of police complicity in Brooklyn's gambling rackets. In addition, there are intimations that the shakeup is also linked to the mysterious death of Abe Reles, with the Mayor declaring that he has been "terribly worried these past six or seven years because of the duties the police have of caring for and living with these witnesses." Reles, key witness in the Murder For Money trials, last month plunged to his death from a sixth-floor window while under police guard....

The real story here is not out yet and might never come out.

...A 40-year-old Myrtle Avenue woman was charged with disorderly conduct after police found her handing out dollar bills to a crowd in the BMT's Canal Street station in Manhattan. Miss May Browne was peeling the bills off a roll that stood at $511 when police put a stop to her largesse. Miss Browne protested that she had every right to give away her own money if she wanted, and declared that all she was trying to do was wish everyone a Merry Christmas....

She's much-more generous that Rockefeller and his dimes.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(2).jpg
(Maybe Fitz ought to give up on the bowling alley and open a roller rink. I'd pay good money to see him on skates.)...

First we'd have to make sure the knee is fully healed.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(3).jpg
("Ain'nat t'limit?" snorts Sally. "A growed woman all hepped up 'bout some dopey crooneh. What grade you in, hon, 8-B?" "Yeh," nods Joe. "Ain't like he c'n play secon' base." "What?" snaps Sally. "Nut'n.")...

Joe's gotta go to the neutral corner so the ref can give Sally the standing eight count. That might be his best one ever - quick and right on the chin.

... Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(4).jpg
So we can be pretty sure the Mole won't freeze to death, because we just had that whole cold-storage routine with Little Face, and we know Gould doesn't like to repeat himself. 3-1 he suffocates, 5-1 he starves to death, 10-1 he dies in a cave-in, 100-1 he's gnawed to death by actual moles. I dunno. Are moles carnivorous? Maybe we'll see....

You got all the way to 100-1 without any odds on death by a FACE EATING DOG!!!! It looks like those counseling session are finally starting to help.

Even if he's snowed in, Mole can still get air, in theory, through the opening in the grease pit, so freezing seems more likely, but as you said, we just had that.

... Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(6).jpg
Bless your heart....

Agreed, good for her so far, but let's see how she does when Sammy unfurls the brother-blackmail angle.

... Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(7).jpg Or maybe Bevel is a SPY, ASSASSIN, AND SABOTEUR! Or maybe not....

That's some advance office-politics calculus Skeezix is thinking about.

... Daily_News_Wed__Dec_3__1941_(9).jpg
To be fair to Honey, would you really want to go thru life married to a guy who willingly answers to "Goofy?"

Wasp-waist alert. I think Connie still holds the record for tiniest one, but Honey's pretty close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana