Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
chicago_tribune_tue__dec_30__1941_-9-jpg.391899

Familiarity bred contempt, huh? Guess THAT infatuation episode is history.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_30__1941_.jpg A month ago, most Americans only knew Manila for paper and rope....

"Where do we keep the Manila envelopes?" was something heard all day in offices prior to email.

...A Brighton, Massachusetts youth who deserted from the Army in September has been turned over to military authorities by his own father. Private Andrew Link Jr. was assigned to Battery E of the 26th Division, 108th Field Artillery at Camp Edwards in Falmouth, Massachusetts when he deserted, and had not been heard from until a friend of the family reported to Andrew Link Sr. that his son had been sighted in the Times Square section of New York. The elder Link came to New York himself and patrolled Times Square until he found another friend who advised him that his boy was working in a poolroom in the Bronx. Link Sr., who served two enlistments in the Navy and is a veteran of the First World War, immediately began patrolling the neighborhood around that poolroom, around 174th Street and the Boston Road, with two detectives, until he finally spotted his son. "That's my son!" declared Mr. Link. "A deserter from the Army! Take him away!"...

I'd like to believe I'd have never deserted, but if I had, my dad would definitely have not helped to hide me, etc., but even he wouldn't have gone to these lengths to see me arrested. Holy Smoke!

...("Hey," says Joe, brandishing an envelope. "I got a letter from Solly!" "He a general yet?" eyerollls Sally. "Lemme read ya. Says heeeh, 'Deah Joe. Inna envelope is a pictsha a' me, in uniform. Fits kin'a tight 'roun'a ahmholes, an'nat belt inna back is awful corny, but what kin'ya do. Ha ha. But seriously, t'is Army life ain' so bad once ya get use ta it. Te'y blow a bugle ta get ya up, anney blow a bugle ta tellya whenta eat, anney blow a bugle ta tell ya when ta go ta bed. In between tey don' need no bugle, 'cause t'ey got sergeants wit' plenny loud voices, I'm tellin' ya. It ain' like 'at foreman at t' good ol' Crown Pickle Woiks, y'know what I'm tellin' ya? Ya can't give t'ese sergeants t'razz like ya could him. No sensa humeh at all. But t'ey're pretty good guys if ya do what t'ey tell ya an' don' try no wise guy stuff. Am I behavin' myse'f? I'll tell t' woild I am! I do'wanna peel no moeh potatas'n I hafta. Did you eveh get t'at job at Sperry's? If ya did I betcha sittin' pretty! How's Sal anna Baby? Hope ya had a good Chris'mas, an' ya mot'er-in-law...' "Um, an' he goes on' an' on, you know Solly." "Yeh," nods Sally." "He goes on an' on." "Sez here 'one more t'ing, you still got t'em dice Sal's brut'ta give ya? How bout you do me a faveh, ol' man, an' sen' 'em out heah. T'ere is lots of action, an' I wanna get my piece of it. Ha ha. Keep 'em flyin'! Ya pal, Private Solomon J. Pincus, U. S. A.' Oh, t'at Solly." "Yeah, don' send 'em no dice," laughs Sally. "Heah -- heah's a patata peeleh. Sen'nim'n'at!")...

:)

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(3).jpg
View attachment 391880 ("Louisiana Purchase" shares with "Hellzapoppin" the idea of filming an unfilmable play -- but "Purchase" wasn't considered unfilmable because it was too zany, it was considered unfilmable because it would violate Breen Office restrictions on political satire. And so the film opens with an elaborate disclaimer insisting that everything to be shown is entirely fictitious -- staged as a musical number. Olsen and Johnson would approve.)...

It's a shame that Garbo's last movie was "Two Faced Woman," as it's not, well, very good. Comments on movie here: #28625

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(5).jpg
(There now, I bet the Daily News doesn't cover college chess.)...

The Eagle's classing up the joint.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(6).jpg
("Ah, so you're a freak then? I think freaks are fascinating, don't you?")...

"Yeh, yeh, ears, whatever, but, well, umm, is 'it,' umm, you know, is 'it' super strong too?"

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(9).jpg
("I'd like you to meet Mr. Axel...")

This is going in a really neat direction. "Oh, him, he's 'Erwin' my partner. 'Erwin' say hello to the Fuhrer." "Hello there Fuhrer, oh, oh, sorry about the cigar ashes. I can brush them right out of your hair if you want. What? Don't touch, you got it just how you like it, okay, hands off the hair, got it."

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(3).jpg All right, kid. Come clean....

April's a sweet kid, but she hasn't acquitted herself well here. Just noting again, Hu Shee is the one to marry.

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(4).jpg Five C's? Is that all? Here's another hundred, get the shoes too....

$500 in '41 = ~$9500 today.

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(6).jpg Wherever Annie lands, tragedy always follows. Kid's a regular hoodoo....

"My sister is very ill, if only I knew a doctor." "I'll drop you at the station, good luck with all that."

"Kid's a regular hoodoo.." :) I've felt that way all along, but you said it the best way possible.

... Chicago_Tribune_Tue__Dec_30__1941_(8).jpg Mama's an old hand at this....

Andy has no ability to learn from past mistakes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
United States and Philippine forces are retreating, though fighting for every yard, under the impact of savage Japanese drives north and south of Manila, it was announced today. A United Press listening post in New York monitored a broadcast by the Tokio radio asserting that "advance Japanese troops are about six kilometers (about four miles) from Manila," but no source for that statement was given other than "reports from Tokio." It is also reported that "swarms of Japanese dive bombers control the air," with massed tanks and planes ripping into the tenuous lines held by American troops about thirty miles from the capital city. It is also asserted in Japanese reports that Japanese land forces have attempted to take Corregidor, at the mouth of Manila Bay, with "huge fires set in the fortress barracks."

The Navy was reported to still be in communication with Manila as of 10 this morning, but what was being heard at that hour has not been revealed. It is understood that military authorities in the Philippine capital have taken over all private and commercial radio stations, which may account for the fact that broadcasts from these stations have not been heard for several hours.

British imperial forces are striking offensive blows against Japanese invaders at Singapore, but it is acknowledged that Japanese forces have penetrated into important coal, tin, and rubber areas less than 300 miles north of the city.

In Ottawa, Canada, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill declared at a press conference today that the results of his meeting with President Roosevelt will be disclosed in "deeds, rather than words." The Prime Minister predicted that Singapore will probably be held and that United States forces in the Philippines will give the Japanese "more than they bargained for." Mr. Churchill also noted that the Soviet Union has inflicted "a very deep and internal lesion" against the whole economy and life of the German people, and only time will tell if that wound will prove fatal.

In an official broadcast from Berlin, monitored and recorded in New York, Adolf Hitler predicted that 1942 will bring "a decision for the salvation of our people and the nations allied with us." Hitler's prediction echoed that given for 1941, which did not prove to be correct.

Retracting his previous plea for a "silent New Years' Eve," Mayor LaGuardia today gave New Yorkers his blessing to "go out and have a good time." Casting an eye to the sky, the Mayor declared "the weather is in our favor. I don't think that son of a ----- can send any planes over tonight." And if there was any doubt as to the identity of the person so identified, the Mayor added, "I mean Hitler." Celebrations will go forward as usual, with the only noisemakers prohibited to be sirens and horns that might be mistaken for official air raid warnings.

The Mayor will be sworn in for his third term this evening by Supreme Court Justice Philip McCook. at the home of retired judge Samuel Seabury, but no celebration is planned.

The Brooklyn Eagle will not publish tomorrow in observance of New Years' Day, and the entire staff of the newspaper wishes its readers a Happy 1942. And remember to DRIVE CAREFULLY.

Horse power, in its traditional four-legged form is poised for a comeback in Brooklyn with the approach of tire rationing -- if a shortage of wagons can be overcome. With dairies and bakeries in the borough having shifted in recent years almost entirely to motor trucks for their delivery vehicles, manufacturers have slowed or halted the production of horse-drawn delivery wagons, and there are too few older wagons available in condition suitable for use. Home delivery of milk and bakery goods may be stopped entirely unless the few available wagons can be pooled, and it is feared that such a plan might run afoul of antitrust laws.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_.jpg

(Mr. Borchardt was, in fact, of Jewish ancestry and spent time in the Dachau concentration camp before coming to America. But he had also been involved in various German military intrigues in the years after the First World War and had connections within the Nazi-era Abwehr who secured his release from the camp. He was otherwise best known as an archaelogist who believed that the lost continent of Atlantis was in fact buried in Tunisia. It will be very interesting to follow this case.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(1).jpg

("She's gonna be all right, I think," says Sally, gazing down at Leonora, who is finally dropping off to sleep. "It's jus' t' colic made 'eh sick. I give 'er a lit'l paregoric t'set'l'eh down." "'At's awright," sighs Joe, "I din' really wanna go out anyways. Let's jus' toin' onna radio an' get some good dance music, an' maybe we c'n do a lit'l steppin' right heeeh inna livin' room." "Been a helluva yeeah, ain' it?" observes Sally. "Yeeah ago, who'da 'magint? Us wit' a baby, you wit' a new job, an' a war on besides. Who knows where we gonna be a yeeah f'm now? Maybe Flatbush!" "Hey," says Joe. "Lissen heeah, I got Goodman onna radio. C'mon, kid, on inta 1942! Let's swing it." "Yeah," nods Sally. "Let's swing it!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(2).jpg

(As far as adaptations of 1940s stage plays go, "The Man" stands out as perhaps the most faithful to its source material, giving you a real taste of what it would have been like to see the actual show. You don't have to know who Alexander Woolcott was and what he was like to appreciate it, but if you do, Monty Woolley's characterization moves from entertaining to genius.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(3).jpg

(Kind of puts Mickey Owen dropping that damn ball into perspective.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(4).jpg

(What Are You Wearing Today?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(5).jpg
(It's Bowl Game time! Get your bets down!)

In Chicago, the owners of the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team are imploring their fans to throw back pucks hit into the stands. A large banner now posted at Chicago Stadium reminds hockey enthusiasts that pucks are made of rubber and that the rubber shortage may mean the Blackhawks will be unable to complete the season if pucks are kept, as is the usual custom, as souvenirs.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(6).jpg

(Don't be hasty kid, you haven't met the rest of the household.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(7).jpg

(Keep 'em flying, Colonel!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(8).jpg

(No wonder Angel's a star. She's got a pose for every occasion.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(9).jpg

("HEY!" yells Veeda. "WHAT ABOUT ME???")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the Out of Town Newsstand...

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_.jpg

UNLIKE MR. ANDREW LINK SENIOR.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(1).jpg
"Single?"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(2).jpg

Don't get ahead of yourself, son.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(3).jpg
What could possibly go wrong?

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(4).jpg
"School? I was kinda hopin' y'warn't gonna bring that up!"

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(5).jpg
Just don't forget the license, like a certain rattle-brained hepcat.

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(6).jpg
Sure, RUIN EVERYBODY'S FUN

Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(7).jpg

The hour of decision is now the hour and fifteen minutes of decision. Time's running out, kid.

...Retracting his previous plea for a "silent New Years' Eve," Mayor LaGuardia today gave New Yorkers his blessing to "go out and have a good time." Casting an eye to the sky, the Mayor declared "the weather is in our favor. I don't think that son of a ----- can send any planes over tonight." And if there was any doubt as to the identity of the person so identified, the Mayor added, "I mean Hitler." Celebrations will go forward as usual, with the only noisemakers prohibited to be sirens and horns that might be mistaken for official air raid warnings....

A copy of the Mayor's speech with his hand-written notes was obtained from an unimpeachable source by the Eagle:

"I mean Hitler n̵o̵t̵ ̵O̵'̵D̵w̵y̵e̵r̵" (Mayor's note, "That would have been too much.")

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(1).jpg
("She's gonna be all right, I think," says Sally, gazing down at Leonora, who is finally dropping off to sleep. "It's jus' t' colic made 'eh sick. I give 'er a lit'l paregoric t'set'l'eh down." "'At's awright," sighs Joe, "I din' really wanna go out anyways. Let's jus' toin' onna radio an' get some good dance music, an' maybe we c'n do a lit'l steppin' right heeeh inna livin' room." "Been a helluva yeeah, ain' it?" observes Sally. "Yeeah ago, who'da 'magint? Us wit' a baby, you wit' a new job, an' a war on besides. Who knows where we gonna be a yeeah f'm now? Maybe Flatbush!" "Hey," says Joe. "Lissen heeah, I got Goodman onna radio. C'mon, kid, on inta 1942! Let's swing it." "Yeah," nods Sally. "Let's swing it!")...

Re "the banks and the gamblers in Miami," I assume they are talking about illegal gambling? Was it a situation where the police looked the other way and now aren't?

For those who want a 1941 movie experience, TCM is showing "How Green was My Valley" Sunday at 8pm ET. It's fun and interesting to watch these '41 movies if you've been following these "Day by Days," as you then have some of the context that the '41 audience had, which impacts your perspective on the movie.

... View attachment 392161
(As far as adaptations of 1940s stage plays go, "The Man" stands out as perhaps the most faithful to its source material, giving you a real taste of what it would have been like to see the actual show. You don't have to know who Alexander Woolcott was and what he was like to appreciate it, but if you do, Monty Woolley's characterization moves from entertaining to genius.)...

I couldn't agree more - Woolley's performance is brilliant (as is Davis'). I think I mentioned it recently, in addition to being an outstanding movie, it is also a very '40s zeitgeist movie with an incredible number of cultural references that come at you fast and furiously. It's another wonderful movie to see if you've been following these "Day by Days."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(3).jpg
(Kind of puts Mickey Owen dropping that damn ball into perspective.)...

You're right and, clearly, if that is the worst thing that you think happened in '41, well, you need to rethink the year. That said, having diversions like baseball - even when they are painful in their own way - are really good mental distractions too. If they can take you out of the here and now for a few hours now and then - like a good movie or ballgame, say - that's a plus.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(8)-2.jpg
(No wonder Angel's a star. She's got a pose for every occasion.)...

"...brings her new boy toy out there next week as a -- ahem -- writer!" That is one well-placed "ahem."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(9).jpg
("HEY!" yells Veeda. "WHAT ABOUT ME???")

"HEY!" yells Veeda. "WHAT ABOUT ME???"

"I guess you shouldn't have gotten so uppity about sending me into town." yells Dan back over his shoulder as he passes by the women's wing of the prison as he and Excellency escape.

... Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_.jpg
UNLIKE MR. ANDREW LINK SENIOR.....

Link Senior went a bit nuts. Just when you think you have issues with a parent, you read something that reminds you how much worse it could have been.

... Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(3).jpg What could possibly go wrong?....

"Attention racing fans, we have a late entry and a very special treat for you today in the seventh race, the Triple-Crown winner of 1941, Whirlaway, will be running."

... Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(4)-2.jpg "School? I was kinda hopin' y'warn't gonna bring that up!"....

"Okay, don't overreact. I'm still in one panel and I can't be in every panel, everyday. It's fine, I'm not upset at all. Where'd I leave my toy bunny?"
Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Dec_28__1941_(2).jpg

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Wed__Dec_31__1941_(5).jpg Just don't forget the license, like a certain rattle-brained hepcat....

Just know, the army is going to question the sincerity of this marriage, especially if you elope.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A year-or two-ago a routine VA checkup yielded a selection from the gift library: essays penned
by Alexander Woollcott and a particular gemstone recount of dinner with George Bernard Shaw.
Woollcott, Algonquin Round Tabler possessed unique ferret qualities seemingly rare among today's
journalist crowd. I really enjoy reading close personal perspective pieces and AW had talent in spades.:)

I recall a childhood friend's mother tell me that on December 7th 1941 her family all packed off
to a movie to forget things for awhile. Films have a certain magic which become exponentially tinged
amidst tragedy, providing badly needed succor to heart and soul. :)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here is one of the only surviving examples of Woollcott's "Town Crier" radio program --

The recording has been edited, and is slightly off-speed but it's still a good demonstration of his style. Among the deletions here are the commercials for Cream of Wheat -- which would discontinue its sponsorship in 1935 after Mr. Woollcott refused to stop denouncing Mussolini's invasion of Ethiopia. The reasoning was that even Fascists like a hot breakfast, and it wouldn't pay to offend them.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
^Thanks Liz. I love this thread! :)

Woollcott cut quite a figure. Another remarkable soul of stripe suit was IF Stone and his pursuit
of Wall Street and corporate chislers, crooks, hucksters, and swine trying to advantage terrible times.
And politicians. Some personified Jeffersonian observe that democracy needed a free vigilant press.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And as Mr. Schroth and his able staff sleep off the ginger ale and the sugar cookies from the last of 1941, the Out Of Town Newsstand welcomes 1942. As before, Sparky appears only in the Eagle, so he too is taking the day off, but our other comic-page friends are present and accounted for...

The_Philadelphia_Inquirer_Thu__Jan_1__1942_.jpg
Someday George will provide a therapist with years of income.

The "Mary Worth" strip assigned to January 1 is the strip published yesterday in the Eagle, and it turns out that the strip the Eagle skipped is the December 29th release...

The_Pantagraph_Mon__Dec_29__1941_.jpg
The last skipped strip also featured Gabe. Hmmm. What's Schroth got against press agents?

St__Louis_Globe_Democrat_Thu__Jan_1__1942_.jpg
Kay is looking forward to the new year because DAN IS FINALLY LEAVING THE COUNTRY. "BYE DAN!" "WUF!"

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_.jpg

1942's favorite pastime: armchair generaling.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(1).jpg

Hmmm. I don't know who that is in panel three, but it looks nothing like Kayo. Hard night, Mr. Willard?

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(2).jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR IN SPITE OF EVERYTHING! And that goes for me, too.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(3).jpg
Is it beyond all possible hope that April at least has the sense to be carrying a gun?

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(4).jpg
"Big New Year's Dinner?" Is that even a thing? All I ever have is week-old Chinese food leftovers.

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(5).jpg
Wakey wakey!

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(6).jpg
Poor Skeez cannot seem to get away from bad influences.

...The "Mary Worth" strip assigned to January 1 is the strip published yesterday in the Eagle, and it turns out that the strip the Eagle skipped is the December 29th release.......

I wonder if the Eagle doesn't have to pay for a day's strip if it doesn't run it; otherwise, why wouldn't it just run the two strips the day before? Could it be a space/page layout issue, but newspapers are good at solving that problem.

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(3).jpg Is it beyond all possible hope that April at least has the sense to be carrying a gun?....

April has not been thinking this one through well so far. As to a gun, don't know about April, but since Pat took two off of Sammy so far, hopefully, at least, he's not armed.

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(4)-2.jpg "Big New Year's Dinner?" Is that even a thing? All I ever have is week-old Chinese food leftovers.....

Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(4).jpg
"...got in so late, I decided there was no use changing clothes so I just passed out dead drunk on the sofa. That's why I so reek of booze right now."

"Gould, get in here! We can't publish it like this."

"Fine, I'll edit the line, but the pic stays."

"Could you draw her legs a little bit closer together?"

"Damn editors."

... Chicago_Tribune_Thu__Jan_1__1942_(5).jpg Wakey wakey!....

"Never again!" The famous lament.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A core skill curriculum must be mastered by a trainee such as land navigation, weaponry, physical
fitness, psychological tests, unarmed combat, first aid, fieldcraft, radio, signals, patrol skills; all of which
take time. At a minimum four months are required to make a soldier. A paratrooper, five months.
Ranger qualification seven months. Special Forces add seven more months minimum and medics receive
an additional year of instruction. Military skills take time to teach, and, learn. So an Army cannot be
simply raised overnight. The first nine months of the new year 1942 will begin constructing the US Army.

Available trained assets will begin offensive operations in the spring with the famed Doolittle Raid
on Tokyo; the Solomons later in August; North Africa landings occur three months later in November 1942.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The city of Manila and the United States naval base at nearby Cavite fell to Japanese forces today, after valiant American and Filipino defenders under the command of Gen. Douglas MacArthur were forced to abandon the capital and the base, but they still hold strong positions north of Manila and on fortified islands that command Manila Bay. A War Department communique confirmed that advance elements of Japanese forces entered the city at 3 PM this afternoon Philippine time (1 AM Brooklyn time), and also confirms that all American ships and naval personnel were removed from the Manila-Cavite area prior to enemy occupation. It was claimed by the Tokio radio that Gen. MacArthur himself was wounded during the American withdrawal.

The loss of Manila, which had been in United States hands for 43 years, had been seen as a practically foregone conclusion since last night's War Department communique confirming that American defenders in the north and south had been united, forming a new defense line which appeared to be an approximate semi-circle extending from the subsidiary naval base at Olangapo to an unknown eastern point north of Manila.

President Roosevelt told newspapermen this morning to "expect an important announcement by the White House" later today. Mr. Roosevelt's announcement of impending big news comes as he and Prime Minister Winston Churchill quickened the pace of their efforts to perfect British-American war plans.

The United States, Great Britain, the Soviet Union, and China have signed a mutual declaration that the four nations will remain united against the Axis to the finish, and that none will negotiate or accept a separate peace. It is anticipated that the President will discuss this agreement in his statement later today. It is also understood that several other nations have also agreed to, or will soon agree to join the anti-Axis pact. A report from the International News Service states that "twenty five nations will sign the agreement in the office of Assistant Secretary of State Adolph Berle Jr."

Chinese troops have entered Burma, according to an announcement from Chungking. It was reported that the fully-equipped Chinese units have arrived at the request of the British, and have joined under the command of General Sir Archibald Wavell, commander of British forces in India.

An American warship and two American planes have been attacked by the Japanese off the Dutch East Indies. It is reported that the unidentified ship escaped serious damage during an enemy aerial bombardment in a northern sector of the East Indies, possibly off Borneo or the Celebes Islands.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_.jpg

("Guess 'at's why t'ey soich my dinneh pail ev'y night out at't plant," observes Joe. "No more a't'at brawnschweigeh?" asks Sally. "Nah," says Joe. "No chanct takin' chances.")

Aviatrix Laura Ingalls will not contest charges that she acted as an agent of the German government without registering as an such under the law. The noted woman flier entered a plea of nolo contendre, or no contest, before U. S. District Judge James Morris in Washington DC, a legal action which will permit the judge to rule directly on the case without a jury trial. Miss Ingalls, who is free on $7500 bond, was arrested in Washington the day after the declaration of war against Germany.

District Attorney William O'Dwyer today announced the formation of a confidential investigatory detective squad responsible only to the prosecutor's office. The announcement of the new secret squad followed a half-hour conference yesterday at City Hall between the District Attorney and Mayor LaGuardia, the first time the two had met face to face since September, and the meeting, from which the two men emerged "in an amicable mood," was seen as marking the end of a bitter political feud that erupted in the wake of the Mayor's defeat of Mr. O'Dwyer in the November mayoral election. Former acting detective captain Frank Bals, who abruptly retired from the Police Department in the wake of the jurisdictional dispute between the Mayor and the District Attorney, will be appointed head of Mr. O'Dwyer's secret squad at a salary of $5,000 a year. Detectives appointed to that squad will receive $3000 per year, with the salaries to be paid out of an annual budget appropriation of $20,000. With the creation of the new squad, about forty detectives presently assigned to the District Attorney's office by the Police Department will be released for regular police duty.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(2).jpg

(WELL WHAT HAPPENED NEXT? DON"T LEAVE US HANGING!)

German forces on the central Moscow line are retreating on Vyazma, 135 miles southwest of the Soviet capital, on Napoleon's road of retreat, before a merciless Red Army drive which has shattered the last Nazi defense line. It was reported in dispatches today that the Russians had already driven past Mozhaisk, 63 miles southwest of Moscow, which was the key point on the German lines, and that the city has been encircled "for reduction at leisure." The Soviet forces are now said to be approximately 95 miles from Smolensk, where Adolf Hitler was reported to have established his personal command headquarters for the Russian campaign.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_.jpg

(There are very few places as we enter 1942 where you *can't* buy Defense Stamps)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(1).jpg

(Among the many outstanding accomplishments that ought to entitle Frederick L. Fitzsimmons to a plaque in Cooperstown is the fact that he is, very likely, the only major league pitcher ever to be quoted in an ad for a Broadway show.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(2).jpg

(Don't worry, that won't last long.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(3).jpg

(It's going to be a hard haul for the Eagle sports department now that they don't have Bill Terry to kick around. Melvin Ott is, in fact, one of the nicest guys in baseball -- in fact, a few years from now he'll be the instigation for the famous remark Mr. Durocher will sort of make about nice guys and where they finish.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(4).jpg

(That's not a very sisterly look Sue is giving Sparky in Panel Three.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(5).jpg

(New Year? Seems like the same old year.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(6).jpg

(HEY KIDS! COMICS!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(7).jpg

("Mr. Heinie?" "And after that I'll introduce you to our other operatives, Mr. Hunn, Mr. Boche, and Mr. Kraut.")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And from the Out Of Town Newsstand...

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_.jpg
The difference between a morning paper and an afternoon paper.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(6).jpg
G'wan, do one of Raven Sherman. I dare ya.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(3).jpg

Besides, that's a different game entirely.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(1).jpg
Your 21st birthday is six weeks away. Enjoy life while you can.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(2).jpg
Harold, meanwhile, is working on a medical exemption.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(4).jpg

Why does this feel like a Carole Lombard movie?

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(5).jpg

Poor Annie. Tries and tries to endear herself, but she'll always end up abandoned.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(7).jpg

"They'll overtake you!"

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(8).jpg

Well, it works for Hilda Chester.

Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(9).jpg

All that time you spent with Raven and you didn't learn a thing.

...District Attorney William O'Dwyer today announced the formation of a confidential investigatory detective squad responsible only to the prosecutor's office. The announcement of the new secret squad followed a half-hour conference yesterday at City Hall between the District Attorney and Mayor LaGuardia, the first time the two had met face to face since September, and the meeting, from which the two men emerged "in an amicable mood," was seen as marking the end of a bitter political feud that erupted in the wake of the Mayor's defeat of Mr. O'Dwyer in the November mayoral election. Former acting detective captain Frank Bals, who abruptly retired from the Police Department in the wake of the jurisdictional dispute between the Mayor and the District Attorney, will be appointed head of Mr. O'Dwyer's secret squad at a salary of $5,000 a year. Detectives appointed to that squad will receive $3000 per year, with the salaries to be paid out of an annual budget appropriation of $20,000. With the creation of the new squad, about forty detectives presently assigned to the District Attorney's office by the Police Department will be released for regular police duty...

So, O'Dwyer managed to get a small force to run. LaGuardia must have felt he had to give him something. Now, we'll see what trouble O'Dwyer can stir up with this team. O'Dwyer, even back on his heals, is a player or, at least, a survivor.

...[ The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(2).jpg
(WELL WHAT HAPPENED NEXT? DON"T LEAVE US HANGING!)...

No kidding, that was all setup and, then, nuddin'.

Also, how much does Huss not like Goering, "...Goering's nervous eyes, flickering about like two little balls of black and white on a water fountain, looked comfortably over the pillows of his tremendous cheeks. He was pleased. If the Fuehrer's summons had broken into his morning game of playing with his electric miniature railroad and spoiled his mood, it was forgotten now."

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(1).jpg
(Among the many outstanding accomplishments that ought to entitle Frederick L. Fitzsimmons to a plaque in Cooperstown is the fact that he is, very likely, the only major league pitcher ever to be quoted in an ad for a Broadway show.)...

You know I'm with you on Freddie.

Nice to see Herbert Cohn got "The Man Who Came to Dinner" right in real time as not all great movies receive great contemporaneous reviews. I did notice his east-coast elitist snide aside about "legitimate theater," but what the heck, he saw the brilliance of the movie IRT and that's all that matters today.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(4).jpg
(That's not a very sisterly look Sue is giving Sparky in Panel Three.)...

And those two siblings already have enough creepy sexual history.

... Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(6).jpg
(HEY KIDS! COMICS!)...

Seriously, it's like Dale Allen are trying to up their adult game to compete with Caniff. It's a fun twist in the story though.

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_.jpg The difference between a morning paper and an afternoon paper....

Especially with events moving so quickly. Today, you'd be refreshing your browser everyone other minute.

Interesting to see the prohibition lobby in there swinging - good luck with that. Heck, even at the height on NYC's Covid lockdown, liquor stores were immediately deemed essential businesses and there was hardly a peep of protest. The legislature even went as far as to change to law to allow bars to sell takeout cocktails.

... Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(1).jpg Your 21st birthday is six weeks away. Enjoy life while you can.....

"Wedding Rings: Two for the Price of One."

Huh? This isn't Salt Lake.

... View attachment 392584
Why does this feel like a Carole Lombard movie?....

The "hics" are hilarious and, yes, very Lombardish.

"Tell the famous detective, whom I ask to come here, that I can't see him now -" wow, it's not up there with "let them eat cake," but come on.

...[ Chicago_Tribune_Fri__Jan_2__1942_(9).jpg
All that time you spent with Raven and you didn't learn a thing.

April's got to up her game or she's not long for this world as China ain't gonna be getting easier anytime soon.

Lizzie, hi, I mentioned it yesterday, but wanted to ask again as you seem to have insight into, well, everything, any idea why the Eagle doesn't just run two days of comic strips when it doesn't publish for a day? The only things I could come up with is, one, they don't pay for it if they don't run it (but I find it hard to believe the syndication contracts work that way) and, two, the page layout would be difficult (but newspaper manage those tangles everyday).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not sure why that is. I've seen some papers do it, -- the Bangor Daily News here in Maine has never published a Sunday edition, so they do the color Sunday section on Saturday right along with the regular daily strips. But clearly Mr. Schroth doesn't feel it's necessary. The Eagle comic page is laid out pretty tight, so they'd have to find someplace else in the paper to put the extra strips -- which would mean displacing something else. There are "house ads" promoting the paper spotted occasionally across the layout, and those could possibly go, but maybe Mr. S. is of the sort who tends to look down on the funnies more as a necessary evil than as an essential selling point of the paper. You know if the News ever missed a strip, they'd do whatever they had to do to make it up.

I'm not sure why that is. I've seen some papers do it, -- the Bangor Daily News here in Maine has never published a Sunday edition, so they do the color Sunday section on Saturday right along with the regular daily strips. But clearly Mr. Schroth doesn't feel it's necessary. The Eagle comic page is laid out pretty tight, so they'd have to find someplace else in the paper to put the extra strips -- which would mean displacing something else. There are "house ads" promoting the paper spotted occasionally across the layout, and those could possibly go, but maybe Mr. S. is of the sort who tends to look down on the funnies more as a necessary evil than as an essential selling point of the paper. You know if the News ever missed a strip, they'd do whatever they had to do to make it up.

Thank you. That all sounds reasonable. But if I'm understanding Mr. Schroth, he might also be of the type, "if I have to pay for it, then I'm printing it." Yet, who knows, as you said, if he only "tolerates" the funnies, he might just see not printing one day's strip as beneath his concern.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Am I only one here who thinks April badly needs a spanking?
----------
The Duquesne Spy Ring ultimately resulted sentence mitigation and repatriation; still the most prominent
espionage trial in American history, and all the more remarkable for civil court custody and transparency.
----------
Rudolph Hess was confined to Spandau Prison for the rest of his life. A monthly rotation of American,
British, and Soviet Union guarded him. I once played barracks stud poker with a cook whom had pulled
a hitch in Germany and did kitchen duty at Spandau where he was told to prepare a meal for Hess.
When the prisoner's tray returned his job included inventoring the meal's consumption. He said he felt
an odd but quite discernible sense of evil touching the Hess tray and used utensils.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_.jpg
(Small bits of good news among the horrors today, but you have to dig for it.)

Already stripped of more than $2,000,000 in luxury fittings and equipment, the French liner Normandie, once the most palatial vessels afloat, today gave up the last vestige of its glamorous past, as the glittering letters spelling out its name came off the bow, and the ship, now repainted a dull gray, took on its new identity as the USS Lafayette. The liner remains laid up at Pier 88 in New York Harbor, stuck in a thick bed of silt that has accumulated since the ship was impounded by the U. S. Government in 1939, and that silt must be dredged away before the vessel can be moved to Boston for hull scraping. Once its refitting is complete, the former liner is expected to serve as a troop ship or, possibly, an aircraft carrier in the service of the U. S. Navy.

The production of all automobiles for civilian use will end on January 31st, with all new cars on hand at that time to be seized by the Government, and rationed out for military and Lend-Lease purposes, with a small number to be kept available for essential civilian purposes. Approximately 450,000 new 1942-model cars are presently held by auto dealers, and it is anticipated that another 200,000 cars will be assembled from parts on hand after the production of new auto parts was suspended on December 10th. Although it has been speculated that some limited production of civilian cars may resume at some point over the projected three or four year period of the war, with automakers required to pool production resources for such work, no new cars are anticipated for 1943, and it has been suggested that when the present stock of new cars is exhausted, the Government may be forced to commandeer private cars from civilians to meet essential needs. Price Administrator Leon Henderson called such a possibility "one of the gloomy possibilities of a long war."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_.jpg

("I mean, they got a pernt!" observes Sally. "I mean, he ain't Supehman a' nut'n -- he's gotta sleep sometime! Who c'n woik allatime like 'at, ridin' trains an' planes alla time, neveh get'n no time to cawl 'is own. It ain' healt'y! Whatta *you* t'ink? Joe? I ast ya, whatta *you* t'ink? Hey! JOSEPH! WAKE UP!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(1).jpg

(Hey, babysitters make good money.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(2).jpg

("The Tatars" would make a great name for a new hockey team.)

With the Joe Louis-Buddy Baer bout Friday night at Madison Square Garden on behalf of the Navy Relief Fund expected to be a sellout, the "baby Baer" is training hard for his second crack at the Champ, hoping at long last to step fully out of the broad shadow cast by big brother Max. When Buddy first came to New York he was just a big meek kid who did little but laugh at his brother's jokes, but even by the time of his first fight with Louis last May, the younger Baer had all the poise and confidence of a man who never had a big brother Max at all.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(3).jpg
(So how's the weather in Smolensk?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(4).jpg
(As a baseball player, Gary Cooper is a fine actor. Lefty O'Doul was a great coach, but you can only do so much.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(5).jpg
(I don't think we've ever seen Sparky crack a book. And it shows.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(6).jpg
(Well, he's obviously got the "Official Dan Dunn Disguise Kit.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(7).jpg

(It's easy -- when you know how.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Jan_3__1942_(8).jpg
(After all, you can't be cooped up on a submarine with just one shirt. People would notice!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21