Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I agree with you, I love the Sim one. I also like the 1938 Reginald Owen "A Christmas Carol" and I thought Patrick Stewart did a very good job in his 1999 version.

Next year will go. I have this reserve as to anything before Sim's take, and recently saw some reference
to Stewart. Knew he did Ahab, didn't learn his Scrooge. I must see both on your endorse.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_.jpg

(Butterleggers??)

American bombers over China spent Christmas Eve unloading tons of fire bombs on Tengchung, a major Japanese base west of the Salween River, as the air crews listened to Christmas carols broadcast from the United Stated by shortwave. Just as the Japanese cut forth with an anti-aircraft barrage, the Americans heard a woman announcer over the San Francisco shortwave station praying for the safety of American fliers "wherever they may be." The Americans saw blazing fires illuminating the night sky behind them as they returned to their bases after the raid. Gifts waiting for the Americans from Generalissimo and Mrs. Chiang Kai-Shek included red neckties, fruit, and candies. A chamber of commerce from a nearby town sent whole cows, pigs, ducks, and chickens, while the Army flew in 1400 pounds of turkey from India for Christmas dinner.

The head of the War Manpower Commission today pledged to set new records for employement and labor in 1943, with projections of 2,500,000 new workers to be added to the American labor force to meet the demands of war production. In an article written by Commission chairman Paul V. McNutt for the United Press, it is stressed that "millions must go to work who have never before entered the labor market" in order to keep factories and farms operating at full production. In a five-point program for meeting that goal, Chairman McNutt indicated that new millions of women must be added to the labor force, and that discrimination in industry on the basis of sex, race, color, age, or minor physical handicaps must end. New training programs must be added to facilitate the use of new and inexperienced workers, and labor and management must work together to form the most efficient plans possible for allocating these new workers to industries where they are most needed, and to insure the protection of postwar re-employment and seniority rights so that workers now in civilian jobs may transfer to war work without losing those protections.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(1).jpg

("Baked beans, soaked dry beans, poehk n' beans, kidney beans an' lent'ls," reads Sally aloud. "Beets, includin' pickled beets.." "SPPPPPPPPPT!" interrupts Leonora. "You'll eat'm an' like'm," warns Sally. "BUM!" declares Leonora, with finality.)

Governor Charles Poletti today urged Italians to "bolt from the Axis." In a special shortwave broadcast produced by the Office of War Information, going on the air just before Mayor LaGuardia's regular weekly talk to the people of Italy, the Governor, who was born in that country and came to the United States with his parents as a child, told his overseas audience that they must "realize now that they were misled by Mussolini into becoming vassals of Hitler," and that true freedom can be achieved only by a victory of the United Nations. "We Americans of Italian origin," the Governor stated, "appeal to the people of Italy to rise and proclaim their devotion to the ideals of leaders like Garibaldi, Cavour, Mazzini, and other Italian champions of freedom. We expect that at the strategic moment the Italian people will throw out both Mussolini and Hitler."

In Vallejo, California Marines and Naval Police patrolled the streets today to prevent a recurrence of rioting between white and Negro sailors which occurred there over the weekend. More than 400 sailors were involved in a two-hour outbreak of violence last night before military and local police restored order. Two Negro navy cooks were wounded but no other injuries were reported. The incident began when approximately 200 Negro sailors, said by witnesses to be armed with clubs, knives, and bottles, left a Negro night club, the Knotty Pines, and were confronted by Navy shore patrolmen armed with submachine guns, who ordered them to return to the club. Witnesses said they refused, and the Shore Patrol fired, with street fighting lasting for two hours. Vallejo police aided shore patrolmen armed with tear gas shells, submachine guns, and rifles in restoring order. The racial incidents in Vallejo were blamed by authorities on the fact that many of the sailors involved, both whites and Negroes, are from the South.

The Superintendent of Schools for the City of New York today issued a report calling for reductions in class size, assignment of additional teachers to "difficult schools," the allocation of recreational facilities and Child Welfare Division offices to underprivileged areas, the availability of guidance services emphasizing the specific needs of each individual child, and greater cooperation between various city agencies dealing with the problem of delinquency, as the best approaches to solving the problem of rowdyism in the schools. Superintendent John E. Wade, in releasing the report, stressed that "we do not pretend that every one of a million children is well behaved. We know there are some delinquents. We do not pretend that in a school system occupying about 950 buildings in the city, no incident ever occurs." But, he emphasized, the solution to the problems that do exist must come thru the cooperative action of the entire community -- schools, churches, and social and health agencies -- and he denied that the problem of school rowdyism, including attacks on teachers, has reached a degree that prevents orderly conduct of schools and the efficient education of children. "This is," he declared, "not so."

The final report of former Assistant Attorney General, now Army Major, John H. Amen on the question of corruption in Brooklyn offers a twenty-point plan for confronting and overcoming the problems the Amen Office's four-year investigation uncovered. Several of these recommendations involve the establishment of a simple process for removing corrupt judges, pointing to the unsuccessful impeachment proceedings against Kings County Judge George W. Martin in 1940. Other recommendations would increase penalties for crimes such as conspiracy to obstruct justice, improper disclosure of grand jury secrets, and improper disclosure of the finding of an indictment by reclassifying these crimes from misdemeanors to felonies. The report also calls for laws to permit the criminal prosecution of any corporate official who willfully signs a false corporate tax return, and to revoke the professional licenses of doctors or lawyers who refuse to waive immunity from prosecution when testifying before a grand jury. The Amen Office over the course of its probe discovered widespread instances of judicial bribery, jury-buying, police corruption, bail-bond racketeering, and perjury involving crimes ranging from the paving industry and laundry rackets to abortion to murder. Although the four-year investigation cost taxpayers $1,147,000, prosecution of crimes uncovered netted the city, state, and Federal governments a total of $2,076,900 in recovered unpaid taxes, fines, and penalties, for a net profit of $929,900.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(2).jpg

(Any theatre requires a permit from the Fire Department in order to operate, so you can see that Butch is playing hard ball. "Ahhhh, izzat a doorstop I see? On a fire door? Doorstops are a violation of the fire code! YA PERMIT IS REVOKED!")

Helen Worth agrees with reader A. V. C. who deplores parents who mock their childrens' well-intentioned efforts to accomplish some task. "A parent who laughs at a child is stupid, heartless, or ignorant," she declares. "Or perhaps all three!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(3).jpg

(To be fair, though, the Japanese military needed no instruction from Hon. Teacher in Manchuria or Nanking. Their brutality there was purely home grown.)

Reader James Reilly proposes a national lottery at $2 a ticket as an ideal tool to raise funds for Army-Navy Relief, the USO, and the Red Cross. He proposes four drawings a year, with the program to be administered by and tickets sold exclusively thru Federal Reserve Banks, with all prizes to be paid in War Savings Bonds. The program could even continue after the war, as a fundraiser for Veterans' Hospitals.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(4).jpg

(As long as we must talk about college basketball, how about a hard-hitting expose of point shaving? Mr. Parrott beat a little bit around that particular bush a week or so back, so why not dig right down deep where the rabbit is?)

The Dodgers may not go to Florida for Spring Training next year, but third baseman Lew Riggs is already there. Now Private Riggs of the Army Air Force, he is serving as a mechanic at the AAF flexible gunnery school at Ft. Myers.

Veteran Yankee pitcher Charley "Red" Ruffing reports to his draft board today in Santa Monica, California for a physical examination preparatory to his induction. Ruffing, who will turn 38 next may, has been working in the off-season for a Santa Monica aircraft plant, and is married with no children. The right-hander has pitched in the major leagues since 1924, and with the Yankees since 1930. He had a record of 14-7 in 1942, and was 1-1 in the World Series against the Cardinals.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(5).jpg

("Now if you'll excuse me, I have a career to ruin.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(6).jpg

(And Marlys goes FULL BETTE DAVIS! Watch out Angel, your replacement is ready!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(7).jpg

("All we have to do is wait. At 8:30 'Information Please' comes on, and you just know they'll be listening!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(8).jpg
(I DIDN'T MENTION FALA BECAUSE A REAL HERO DOG DOESN'T RUB IT IN. CONFIDENTIALLY TRIX IS SUCH A LOSER AND I DON'T WANT HIM TO FEEL BAD.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(9).jpg

("Duuuuhhh, I thought *I* was the comedy relief!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_.jpg

And a gory New Year...

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(1).jpg

Sure, make it a double.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(2).jpg

Note that Punjab and the Asp have no need for hokey wisecracks when there's heads to chop off. "YI!"

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(3).jpg

Don't. You. DARE.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(4).jpg

Let's hope it's not another truck driver. That last one didn't work out so well.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(5).jpg

All right then. The cards are dealt. Let's play the hand.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(6).jpg

"Sida Gazook?" Is that anywhere near Seeza Maboiks?

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(7).jpg

Now that Leon Henderson has quit the OPA, he has lots more time to spend at home.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(8).jpg

Point of Order -- what happened to Pipdyke's other daughter? Anne, the brunette, who was nice to Harold. And what about the dissolute son, Sonny? C'mon, it shouldn't be my job to keep continuity straight, but I'll do it if I have to.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(9).jpg

If the Slither Sisters turn out to be saboteurs I will laugh and laugh. I mean, real saboteurs, not the kind who sink a show with a lousy act.

Farace

Familiar Face
I agree with you, I love the Sim one. I also like the 1938 Reginald Owen "A Christmas Carol" and I thought Patrick Stewart did a very good job in his 1999 version.

We love the Patrick Stewart version, which I understand was a labor of love for him. It is perfectly cast throughout (Richard E. Grant as Cratchit, Saskia Reeves as Mrs. Cratchit, Joel Gray as Ghost of Christmas Past, Ian MacNeice as Fezziwig, etc.), and a bit closer to the original book than most.

Last edited:

Helen Worth agrees with reader A. V. C. who deplores parents who mock their childrens' well-intentioned efforts to accomplish some task. "A parent who laughs at a child is stupid, heartless, or ignorant," she declares. "Or perhaps all three!"

The only regular institutionalized mocking of "children's well-intentioned efforts to accomplish some task" that I saw growing up the 1970 was in gym class. Sure you'd get a jerk of regular teacher who would do that now and again, but it was gym class were it seemed that the gym teacher was allowed to be a bully. I assume that is no longer the case in schools today.

Reader James Reilly proposes a national lottery at $2 a ticket as an ideal tool to raise funds for Army-Navy Relief, the USO, and the Red Cross. He proposes four drawings a year, with the program to be administered by and tickets sold exclusively thru Federal Reserve Banks, with all prizes to be paid in War Savings Bonds. The program could even continue after the war, as a fundraiser for Veterans' Hospitals.

This guy will be getting a call from Butch shortly.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(6).jpg

(And Marlys goes FULL BETTE DAVIS! Watch out Angel, your replacement is ready!)

Locking people in a room together for months is a bad enough idea, but there have been way too many guns in that room with them. I've lost track because they've had so many in there.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(9)-2.jpg

("Duuuuhhh, I thought *I* was the comedy relief!")

Other than Sunday's "Red Ryder," I read all the strips as I find something good in everyone, but I'm about to give up on this one as, other than the illustrations, I actively dislike it.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_.jpg

And a gory New Year...

Something feels off in the Holtz story, especially since he didn't go where he told his mother he was going and because he wasn't robbed. This feels like more than a random killing. Holtz sounds German, one wonders if he was involved in something underground-ish.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(1).jpg

Sure, make it a double.

Look at that, the first hipster/artisan chocolate reference - Maracaibo chocolate - in Brooklyn sixty or so years before Brooklyn would become one of the centers of the hipster/artisan food craze of the early '00s. About ten or so years ago, it felt like every third formerly abandoned factory in Red Hook had been turned into an "artisanal" cheese or chocolate shop.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(2)-2.jpg

Note that Punjab and the Asp have no need for hokey wisecracks when there's heads to chop off. "YI!"

China's a massive country, but still, they might run into Terry, Rogue and Flip (is that his name?).

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(3).jpg

Don't. You. DARE.

Now would be a good time for America's Number One Hero Dog to spring into action.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(8).jpg

Point of Order -- what happened to Pipdyke's other daughter? Anne, the brunette, who was nice to Harold. And what about the dissolute son, Sonny? C'mon, it shouldn't be my job to keep continuity straight, but I'll do it if I have to.

Harold, genuinely, does not seem mentally fit to serve.

Daily_News_Mon__Dec_28__1942_(9).jpg

If the Slither Sisters turn out to be saboteurs I will laugh and laugh. I mean, real saboteurs, not the kind who sink a show with a lousy act.

My guess is that the Slither Sisters have more to fear from the National Advisory Police Committee on Social Protection that we read about yesterday than the FBI, but it would be a neat storyline.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The sad thing about "Hugh Striver" is that Dale is turning in some of her best work ever -- her "Mary Worth" illustration was excellent, but she's really giving this new strip her everything. But her husband, alas, has not yet grasped how to build a serial story and sustain consistent characterizations.

I wish the Bungle Family would come back. Hey Tuthill, are you sure you want to stay retired? Aren't you bored sitting around the house naked?

And Harold, alas, has always had a touch of mental instability. Recall how he acted when it looked like Truck McCluskey was going to marry Lillums, rampaging around with a meat cleaver. That story could easily have ended up on Page Four.

My Aunt Hazel lived in Red Hook for a while in the 1950s, when her husband was working at the Navy Yard, and if you had told her that that particular portion of Brooklyn would ever be known for anything beyond what it was already well-known-for, she would have run you right out of the house for telling stories.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Decedent Holtz shot dead by two .45 calibre apparently while ascending stairs, odd not robbed,
leaving mere conjecture as motive. Seems to have been an angled shoot from below off-side victim.
Three shots heard by a nearby cabbie. A missed shot. Heavy large lead, likely fired by automatic pistol.
Victim had Germanic surname yet unassuming, quiet. Killer likely used an American pistol chamber .45,
not a German weapon, and none aimed at head. Silhouette target, not placed in victim's back directly
behind and below target ascending stairs.
British Army Intelligence Corps with some murder looking over scene xpr and I will pitch a penny at
probable American assassin. Not work of a professional. Three rounds two too many, no head shot.
And the calibre all wrong. Might be a secret pro Nazi group issue, but with corpse left open public,
all the police attention itself is a serious problem for any discreet espionage cell. Of couse, an inside-out
is possible: a professional execution deliberately done to look third-rate pulp paperback. But not likely.
That only guises deed. And death leaves a corpse, police, newspapers. Attention. His mum may be correct,
a mistaken identity. Sloppy gangland hit. Yet unlikely. Some Bund band falling out gone terribly wrong
is more like the goods here.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_.jpg

(The sweep of events over the past couple of months has been such that I completely forgot about "Terrible Touhy," which just goes to show the importance of a consistent publicity campaign.)

The Japanese have lost another cruiser to Allied air forces in New Guinea after failing in an attempt to shell ground forces under the command of Gen. Douglas MacArthur out of Buna. While Allied Liberator bombers were blasting the cruiser in Rabaul Harbor, New Britain, and bombing Japanese air bases at Finsch-Hafen, New Guinea, and on Timor Island, Gen. MacArthur's forces deepened their wedge into the Japanese beachhead below Buna. A headquarters spokesman said the Japanese have suffered "considerable casualties" in that fighting.

The German radio today revealed that Nazi and Vichy authorities plan to evacuate 1,000,000 persons from Paris to "the provinces" in an effort to relieve acute food shortages in the city. Persons "who have no steady position" in Paris and mothers with children will be selected to go to "rich provinces," a German broadcast stated, quoting a Paris dispatch. It was indicated that the Allied occupation of Northwest Africa has complicated the food situation for the Germans and for Vichy. The Vichy regime is reported to have received much of its food supply from the French North African colonies, and the Fighting French in Africa estimate that about 75 percent of that food was stolen by the Germans. Reports received from the continent indicated that Vichy leader Pierre Laval may soon seek an audience with Adolf Hitler to discuss the food situation "and other problems." It is expected that new regulations expected to provide Germany with another 100,000 skilled French workers will go into effect as of January 1st.

The United States Government has ordered an end to the issuance of press releases by the Finnish Information Service office at 44 Whitehall Street in Manhattan, after word was received that high officials of the Finnish government, including Prime Minister J. W. Rangell, had attended a party hosted by the Japanese legation in Helsinki celebrating the first anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. During that party Finnish officials toasted the success of the Japanese attack on the American naval base, and watched Japanese-made films of the bombing. In response to the order, the Helsinki government has ordered an end to Office of War Information releases by the American legation in the Finnish capital. An account of the party was broadcast into Finland, in the Finnish language, by the OWI.

("Brave Little Finland.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(1).jpg

(The Grove was a labyrinth of cellars, tunnels, corridors, and connected buildings spanning the better part of a block that would never have been allowed to exist if building and safety codes had been strictly enforced. Emphasis, Mr. Councilman and Mr. Mayor, on "STRICTLY.")

Grocers across the city are girding today against a possible buying rush on limited supplies of canned and frozen foods in anticipation of Government rationing of these items. While many stores report that shoppers have been "calm" following the announcement that point rationing of canned and frozen foods will begin in February, other told of heavy demand for soon-to-be rationed goods. "There is no particular rush," declared an executive of H. C. Bohack & Company, explaining that "we have had our own voluntary rationing for the past four or five weeks, limiting purchasers to one or two cans of each variety. Of course, there are so many varieties that one customer might have bought several hundred cans. But no one has." From the Thomas Roulston chain comes word that "customers have been taking it calmly," since the stores have been "more or less rationing to the consumer right along." Local stores of the A&P chain agreed that "nothing unusual" has been happening. The King Kullen markets in Queens report that there was a slight increase Monday over the usual demand, but customers are being limited in purchases. But for independent grocers around Brooklyn, there are stories of strong increased demand. At the Alba Cut-Rate Food Center, 981-A Flatbush Avenue, a "small rush" was reported on canned goods, mostly soups and vegetables, but a store spokesman stated that per-customer sales limits are in place, speculating that without those restrictions "our shelves would be empty now." At Eisenstadt's Food Store, 612 Kings Highway, it was reported that the store saw many customers "never seen before. They were probably going from store to store, buying what they could." A regional attorney for the Office of Price Administration emphasized that grocers are allowed to cut off sales to persons suspected of hoarding, and in fact recommended that they take such action as a way of guaranteeing "a fairer distribution of food products."

In Hollywood, Mrs. Edna Skelton, wife of radio and movie comedian Red Skelton, filed today for divorce on the grounds of cruelty. Mrs. Skelton, who has served both as Mr. Skelton's head writer, business manager, and agent thruout his career, stated in her suit that she could continue to work with the comedian, but she could no longer go on living with him. The two were married in 1931, when Mrs. Skelton was 16, and have been separated since September 22nd.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(2).jpg

("Whassis stuff?" queries Joe, peering quizzically at the greasy pink mass Sally is spreading on a slice of bread for his dinnerpail. "Potted meat," sighs Sally. "An' ya lucky t'get it." "I t'ink I'll eat at t'cafeteria tonight," replies Joe. "Oh no ya won't," declares Sally. "We can't let food go t'waste. I already ate mine, so don' gimme no fuss." "Y'c'd give it to t'cat," mutters Joe. "She don' like it," sighs Sally, turning to admonish Leonora, who is trying to coax poor Stella out from under the stove. "Stella go HSSSSS!" marvels the youngster. "UHHHHH OH!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(3).jpg

("But I'm a Dollar A Year man!")

The President of the New York Fishery Council writes in to deplore Magistrate J. Roland Sala's recent remarks likening critics of Mayor LaGuardia to the "uncouth behavior" of "bartenders and fishmongers." Matthew J. Graham praises the Bartenders' Union for rising in protest of those remarks, and he adds that "the fishing industry is an old and respected profession which has always willingly cooperated to produce a food essential to the life and health of the nation," further emphasizing that the fishing industry has the best record of all members of the Food Industries Division in the state for war bond sales. "Despite submarine dangers, the depletion of the fishing fleet, and the enlistment of fishermen and other workers connected with the production and disbursment of fish, the commercial fishing industry still carries on," notes Mr. Graham. "Surely an industry which contributed so much in the last war and is continuing the good work in this one deserves better than to have opprobrium cast upon it. We believe that a retraction from Magistrate Sala is in order."

Police in New City, armed with high-powered rifles began hunting stray dogs today, in an effort to stop a new epidemic of rabies in that Rockland County town. Most of the animals to be shot are believed to be former pets now running wild, formed into packs, and killing deer like wolves. At least twenty persons have been reported bitten by rabid dogs recently, and as many as 50 animals, and cases of rabies infection are reported to be on the rise. Dog owners are warned to have their pets immunized, and to keep all dogs muzzled when outside.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(4).jpg

(Yeahhhhhhh, Hig running a bar? Are you sure that's a good idea?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(5).jpg

(YAHHHHHHH! And starting tomorrow, I'm a lieutenant in the Army Nursing Corps! Feel free to salute, pretty boy!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(6).jpg

("OR WOULD I?" Yeah, that's good, but let's take that line again, and this time put just a little more venom in "darrrrrrrling!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(7).jpg

(Fake phone repair tools? But what if the insulation's fake too?? HUH??)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(8).jpg

(BUT WE'VE BEEN SEPARATED FOR A MONTH! I'M AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME? PRETTY GOOD HOW I POUR ON THE PATHOS,, HUH?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(9).jpg

("And you will note that my Luger has a silencer. We mustn't disturb the neighbors!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(1).jpg

Poor Margie. This just ain't your year, kid.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_.jpg

"Nah, free publicity is free publicity! And wait'll you see me take the cast off!"

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(2).jpg

He's wearing dark glasses so the Major won't see him laughing at his knees.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(3).jpg

"They are under the command of a woman, a former pirate herself..." "Oh really? Well, we'll see about that." "Yes, General, we will."

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(4).jpg

THE WORM TURNS!

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(5).jpg

"A crumb of happiness." Ah, Andy, your heart is as big as your chin.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(6).jpg

"The lee side" -- the side not facing into the wind. In other words, the side where Flip is not talking.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(7).jpg

You ba***rd.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(8).jpg

Well now. They're either saboteurs or female impersonators.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(9).jpg

"Anne? Oh, I had her eliminated. We never speak of her. I had Father get me a new sister, one who is more malleable. She's still on a trial basis, but I think she'll work out."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(1).jpg

(The Grove was a labyrinth of cellars, tunnels, corridors, and connected buildings spanning the better part of a block that would never have been allowed to exist if building and safety codes had been strictly enforced. Emphasis, Mr. Councilman and Mr. Mayor, on "STRICTLY.")

We see it in '42 and '22, laws are not enforced, but then, when something bad happens because of that, quite often, the calls go out for "new laws!" when the less-sexy but better answer is to do the hard work of enforcing the laws/rules/regs already on the books.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(2).jpg

("Whassis stuff?" queries Joe, peering quizzically at the greasy pink mass Sally is spreading on a slice of bread for his dinnerpail. "Potted meat," sighs Sally. "An' ya lucky t'get it." "I t'ink I'll eat at t'cafeteria tonight," replies Joe. "Oh no ya won't," declares Sally. "We can't let food go t'waste. I already ate mine, so don' gimme no fuss." "Y'c'd give it to t'cat," mutters Joe. "She don' like it," sighs Sally, turning to admonish Leonora, who is trying to coax poor Stella out from under the stove. "Stella go HSSSSS!" marvels the youngster. "UHHHHH OH!")

Joe might notice that Bohack has a 1lb jar of peanut butter for twenty-four cents. I'd happily eat that way before I'd eat a greasy pink mass of "potted meat."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(8).jpg

(BUT WE'VE BEEN SEPARATED FOR A MONTH! I'M AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME? PRETTY GOOD HOW I POUR ON THE PATHOS,, HUH?)

"Any ham actor can chew up the scenery, especially a canine thespian (tee-hee)."
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

The curious thing, everytime when I'm looking over these newspapers, is, that it's not like just reading, It's like feeling or even smelling a little of a very different time.

You're smelling the heavy fug of cigarette and cigar smoke that enveloped everything in the 1940s. Just joking as I agree with your comments.

And in the Daily News....
Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(1).jpg

Poor Margie. This just ain't your year, kid.

True, but '42 has been the year of the stripper as far as the news goes. We've read more about strippers this year than in the prior three years of these Day by Days combined.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(3).jpg

"They are under the command of a woman, a former pirate herself..." "Oh really? Well, we'll see about that." "Yes, General, we will."

Warbucks would be lucky to report to The Dragon Lady, but she'd quickly see that the Asp and Punjab are the brains and skill of that team, so she'd promote them over Warbucks, who would now be reporting into "Sergeant" Terry.

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(7).jpg

You ba***rd.

Sandy: "Bo, hi, it's Sandy. Time to put our differences aside as we have a job to do over in 'Dick Tracy' land."
Bo: "Let's go!"

On a very disturbing real-world note about animal cruelty, did you see that horrible story in the Eagle about the twelve-year-old boy who hanged a dog?

Daily_News_Tue__Dec_29__1942_(9).jpg

"Anne? Oh, I had her eliminated. We never speak of her. I had Father get me a new sister, one who is more malleable. She's still on a trial basis, but I think she'll work out."

Dear Lord, are there no other young men in this town?

There is no better way to experience history than to watch it pass before you in real time.

These Day by Days have opened up the era for me in a way that all my prior reading of history books, watching of documentaries and reading of period novels didn't. It's an incredible way to experience history. As always, a big thank you to Lizzie for doing this for us.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
@LizzieMaine
The curious thing, everytime when I'm looking over these newspapers, is, that it's not like just reading, It's like feeling or even smelling a little of a very different time.

Sir, this is so true. This morning's column about the 19 yr old girl found slain, newsprint faint but I heartbroken
by description could not go on further. A Jack Ripper fiend. Pray they find him.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm trying to figure out exactly what army Warbucks is a general in -- that uniform matches no known configuration of an American, British, Soviet, Chinese, Free French, or any other Allied nation's uniform that I can find. In fact, the closest match I can find is the uniform of a New Jersey State Police trooper.

trooper.jpg

So, "General," what do you know about the Lindbergh baby?

PrivateEye

One of the Regulars
These Day by Days have opened up the era for me in a way that all my prior reading of history books, watching of documentaries and reading of period novels didn't. It's an incredible way to experience history. As always, a big thank you to Lizzie for doing this for us.

Couldn't agree more. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - we can't thank you enough LIzzie for the work and time you put into this!

I look forward to it everyday, and I've learned more about life during the era than I ever imagined when this started.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what army Warbucks is a general in -- that uniform matches no known configuration of an American, British, Soviet, Chinese, Free French, or any other Allied nation's uniform that I can find. In fact, the closest match I can find is the uniform of a New Jersey State Police trooper.

View attachment 476688

So, "General," what do you know about the Lindbergh baby?

When I was growing up in NJ in the '70s and '80s, the state troopers were a well-respected force. They were considered serious guys that didn't take bribes or look the other way, They were professionals versus the local police forces which could be honest and effective too, or not. Warbucks would make a better local cop from what we know of him.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
This Warbucks I take is an American, so directly commissioned in the American armed forces.

And let me add my gratitude Miss Elizabeth. I saw several cocks strut rascal rooster near the hen shed,
not doubting sincere veracity please. To the quick I only leaped to the parade not to be outdone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo