Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_.jpg

("A letteh?" inquires Joe, as he and Leonora enter Lieb's Candy Store to find Ma Sweeney pondering an official-looking sheet. "'Bout Mickey?" "Indeed," comments Ma, in a voice devoid of emotion. "Here," she adds, passing the letter to Joe, who scans it quickly. "Whassis 'Camp Vee Eye' he's in," he wonders aloud. "That's Camp Six, Joseph," sighs Ma. "It's Roman numerals. V-I. Six." "Ah," ahs Joe, reading the rest of the letter. "Moose boig," he enunciates. "Wha'kin'ofa town is cawled 'Moose Boig?' Neveh hoid of it." "I b'lieve it's pronounced 'Mooz-barrrg,'" shrugs Ma. "But Oi don' know wharr it is oither. I wish Oi had a map of Gaaarmany around here. See here, Joseph, look over on the magazine rack tharr, that 'Faaalow the Warr' book. Bring thaat ovar heer, will ye? That moit have a map innit." Joe does as he is bidden, and spreads the magazine on the counter. "Yeh," he notes. "Lookit -- right heeh. M-O-O-S-B-U-R-G. T'at ain' too fawr f'm It'ly, izzit?" "So it is," nods Ma. "Won' take long t'get t'eh, t'rate t'eh goin'," assures Joe. "Mickey be home by Chris'mas, you wait." Ma exhales deeply, her eyes wet. "Sure, Joseph. Home by Chris'mas.")

An executive of the United Auto Worker s aircraft division stated today that engineering problems, design changes, faulty material supply and delayed conversion or retooling of plants -- not labor shortages -- are responsible for the lag in aircraft production. Vice President and Aircraft Division Director Richard T. Frankensteen declared today that "it is the considered opinion of our organization that unlimited supplies of labor to the industry during the month of July would have served to increase the output of no more than one out of the scores of aircraft plants in America." In a statement directed to Army, production, manpower, and War Labor Board officials, Frankensteen warned, however, that labor shortages would "threaten the entire industry within a few months," and that the failure of the Boeing plant in Seattle to meet its August production quota was only a foretaste of what will happen unless aircraft plants use labor more efficiently.

The diary of a Japanese army doctor, found by an American soldier participating in the capture of the Aleutian island of Attu revealed today that wounded men were forced to commit suicide, and that the physician "took care of" all remaining patients with grenades as the Japanese made their last stand on the island. The diary, written by N. Tatsukuchi, a graduate of two American colleges, and the holder of a California medical license, showed his own contempt for death in his final entry. "Only thirty five years of living," he wrote, "and I am to die here. I have no regrets. Banzai to Emperor."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(1).jpg

("Hooveh 'n Rickey!" fumes Sally. "One fathead ain' enough, now we gotta have two!" "Hope 'e's right," shrugs Alice. "Yeh," growls Sally. "Hope 'e's right.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(2).jpg

(In a sunny corner of the courtyard behing 1720 63rd Street, Krause the Super, his bald scalp shielded from the rays by a soot-covered straw boater, hunches over a patch of cabbage and gently flicks tiny blue aphids off the maturing heads.)

Some 100 retail stores in the metropolitan area were cited today by the Treasury Department for yesterday devoting their entire advertising space of more than 400,000 newspaper lines to the opening of the Third War Loan Drive. The establishments carried, in place of their usual advertisements, reprints of articles by the nation's leading columnists and commentators urging the purchase of war bonds. The job accomplished was so effective that the War Finance Committee of the Treasury Department is today receiving numerous inquiries from other cities asking permission to follow the same procedure.

Making over old clothes will be the height of fashion this fall and winter, with college-bound students raiding the family closets for wardrobe that can be salvaged for make-over projects without requiring the use of additional yardage. An old men's suit can easily be turned into a smartly-tailored jumper and skirt combination, discarding the part of the garment showing the most wear and reversing the remaining fabric so that the "wrong side," invariably looking practically new, becomes the "right side." Garments should be fully cleaned and pressed before they are taken apart at the seams, and then each individual piece should be carefully examined on the cutting table to insure that the pattern and fabric grain are cut in the right direction. Any pair of men's trousers can be made into a simple four-gored skirt, using the narrow bottom part of each piece as the waistline. If needed to widen the waist, sew in a separate matching strip cut from an unused part of the pants or the suit coat.

For the first time in 46 years, the New York Public Library in Manhattan will no longer be open seven days a week. The Board of Estimate voted yesterday to close the Library on Sundays in order to conserve fuel and labor during the winter months.

Mayor LaGuardia will soon reveal the names of those he has appointed to a special committee that will prepare a series of rulings on the proper use of city-owned automobiles. The committee has been formed in the wake of a demand by Councilman Walter Hart (D-Brooklyn) that City Treasurer Almerindo Portfolio be ousted from his job because of his unauthorized use of a city car. Hart admitted that he had no evidence to prove the charge that Mr. Portfolio used a city car to visit racetracks, but maintained that he could prove that the treasurer used one to visit golf courses and other places out of the city before the Mayor clamped down travel restrictions on the use of city cars in May of 1942.

All draft registrants are reminded that they must carry their Form 37 classification cards on their person at all times, along with their original Form 2 registration cards. Men failing to do so are subject to arrest if they are are uable to produce both cards on demand of a police officer or other authorized person.

The Eagle Editorialist dismisses all talk that Russia might drop out of the war by pointing to recent developments on the Eastern Front at proof that the Soviets will carry on until Germany has not only been driven from Russian soil but also completely defeated -- and that the Soviet Government will want, has earned, and is entitled to, a share in determining the terms discussed by the Allies at the peace table.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(3).jpg

(Hmph, these Stanislavsky actors!)

Reader Augustine C. Morris demands that Eagle readers stop suggesting that Grant's Tomb be moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn, but he agrees that the statue of the General now at Bedford Avenue should be moved to Grand Army Plaza, citing traffic conditions as the primary concern. But the tomb itself, a proven tourist attraction where it is, should stay put.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(4).jpg

(Owen -- at shortstop??? GET THE ARROW READY!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(5).jpg

(THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS BAD PUBLICITY? Is there??)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(6).jpg

("But I don't WANT to look like Randolph Scott!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(7).jpg

("Hmph, I knew I should have taken that job at 'Hugh Striver'!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(9).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG IS NEVER TAKEN BY SURPRI........)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(8).jpg

(These owner-financed deals are always shady!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_.jpg

("While Duke was hip-swaying in the Garden...")

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(4).jpg

(All right, so there's a beer shortage...)

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(1).jpg

("Theeze Americains, so gull-i-bulll...")

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(2).jpg

(Not every mayor can be Butch.)

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(3).jpg

(I'M FULLY ON BOARD WITH THE OPA! -- H. Gray.)

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(6).jpg

("I want to be alone with my machine...")

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(7).jpg

(Don't forget to try the scungilli!)

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(8).jpg

(Fighting For Liberty On The Home Front)

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(9).jpg

(It's a school night, kid. Get back in your bureau drawer!)

Daily_News_Fri__Sep_10__1943_(10).jpg

(HAROLD??? IS THAT HAROLD??????)

God bless ya, Lizzie, for getting all this posted today. I was getting error messages that the FL website couldn't be found until just a bit ago, which is the first time in this tech event, I got that message.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_.jpg

("I dunno," shrugs Sally. "Ma says we c'n send Mickey a package t'ru t'Red Crawss, an' she wants me t't'ink up some stuff t'put in it, but I dunno? I neveh seen too much'v'im even b'foeh he wen' inna Awrmy. Whatcha s'pose he'd like?" "A blonde," snickers Alice. "He's like t'at." "Hey," snaps Sally. "'At's my brutteh ya tawkin' about. B'sides, you ain' one t'tawk, you useta go out wit' 'im!" "Ohhhh," demurs Alice, "I woul'n say we useta go t'getteh. We wen' out a few times back when, had a few laughs. B'foeh I -- um -- moved upstate. But mos'ly we jus' woiked t'getteh, onnat truck ya Uncle Frank had. Makin' d'liveries, y'know." "Uncle Frank's a plumbeh," notes Sally. "What kin'a d'liveries you make?" "Ohhhhhh," hesitates Alice. "You know. Ummmm -- coppeh pipe, empty bot'ls..." "What's Uncle Frank need'n wit' empty bot'ls?" queries Sally. "Ummmm," ummms Alice. "T'ey'd fill 'em up wit' -- um -- wateh -- f'r -- um -- testin'a coppeh pipes. Very whatchacawl precision woik. Uncle Frank haddat waehouse out'na Flatlan's, y'know, did a lotta -- um -- testin' -- um, anyways, I t'ink Mickey would like a -- um -- a decka cawrds." "T'at's a good ideeh," nodes Sally. "When we was kids we useta play lotsa cawrds -- Ol' Maid, Go Fish, Slapjack..." "Yeh," nods Alice with a forced smile. "He was awrways good at' t'em kindsa games.")

New Yorkers can expect all the coal they'll need this winter, despite wartime demands by Italy or any other countries the United Nations may occupy. This was revealed yesterday in a review of the available coal supply. However, steps being taken by the regional OPA to control distribution of anthracite here and in 11 Eastern Seaboard states indicated that the coal will arrive late, and householders will need to fill their bins "a little at a time." Details of the OPA delivery plan released yesterday indicate that retail coal dealers will be required to give priority to consumers who have on hand less than a quarter of the amount of anthracite they burned between April 1, 1942 and March 31, 1943. The sale of coal to non-industrial users who have more than half of last year's supply still on hand is prohibited until further notice. New York OPA District Director Frank C. Russell reminds consumers that ration coupons are not required for the purchase of coal, but purchasers must supply their dealer with a signed statement of the amount of coal they have in their possession, the amount they burned last season, and whether they have orders pending with any other dealer.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(1).jpg

(KIDS TODAY)

The Eagle Editorialist salutes Dr. Gioconda Rita Saranierno of Brooklyn, the first woman to be commissioned as an officer in the Navy Medical Corps. "Women in all fields," notes the EE, "are entitled to feel that their sex is breaking down the last barriers."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(2).jpg

("Ah! A fantasy picture!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(10).jpg

(How can you have a giant war bond show like this without Gypsy? How quickly they forget....)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(3).jpg

("I on'y got out t'eh a few times t'is yeeh," sighs Joe. "Gee, I remembeh when I was a kid, I'd sneak inneah mos' every game, but now, I mean, ya woikin' nights an'nen ya gotta kid t'take caeh of durin'a day, howza guy s'posta get inna bawl game?" "I raised two, Joseph," sighs Ma. "Tharr was precious little toime far baaahlgames nor any ooother koinda foolishments. Of caarse, a few players would come in hearr now an' then to -- ah -- have an egg cream, so I gaat to meet a few of them. Dazzy Vance used to love me -- egg creams." "He looked it," smirks Joe. "What?" "Nut'n."

Dodger catcher Mickey Owen joined former county tax supervisor Dave Soden on the stage of Coney Island's Vogue Theatre last night, putting on an act that sold $20,000 worth of war bonds.

Yankee president Ed Barrow and Cardinal owner Sam Breadon meet today with Commissioner K. M. Landis to go over details for the coming 1943 World Series. The two clubs, presumptive winners of their respective league pennants, are in disagreement over the schedule arrangement, with Barrow proposing that the first three games be played at Yankee Stadium as a way of reducing unnecessary travel. Breadon opposes this plan, arguing that should the series go only four games, only one would be played at Sportsman's Park.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(4).jpg

(Ew, go away creepy old man with cheap cigar breath.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(5).jpg

("Now let's see, where did I leave those Cary Grant headshots?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(6).jpg

(SMART KID, DUMB COP)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(7).jpg

(POINT OF ORDER -- Don't the rules of comic-strip amnesia say you're supposed to be hit in the HEAD? Not the -- ah -- ...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(8).jpg

(Hydrophobia: archaic term for rabies, favored by old sea captains and my mother.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_.jpg

"Services rendered." I bet.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(4).jpg

Jos. Petrauskas, 1720 63rd St., Bklyn, machinist: "Well, we missed the whole game!"

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(1).jpg

"Everything seems to be in order, Captain. Please report to the base medic for your physical."

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(2).jpg

Mr. Bran's a bit rough, but he keeps things moving.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(3).jpg

"I mean, imagine trying to find a parking space..."

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(6).jpg

Odds that all three of them end up floating face down in the pool now running 1-1

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(7).jpg

"We're off on the road to Sal-er-no! This jeep is real hard on the spine!"

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(8).jpg

At least he thinks of Min.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(9).jpg

Nobody in this house ever sleeps thru the night.

Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(10).jpg

Yes, but I think she misses the point of the satire...

("I dunno," shrugs Sally. "Ma says we c'n send Mickey a package t'ru t'Red Crawss, an' she wants me t't'ink up some stuff t'put in it, but I dunno? I neveh seen too much'v'im even b'foeh he wen' inna Awrmy. Whatcha s'pose he'd like?" "A blonde," snickers Alice. "He's like t'at." "Hey," snaps Sally. "'At's my brutteh ya tawkin' about. B'sides, you ain' one t'tawk, you useta go out wit' 'im!" "Ohhhh," demurs Alice, "I woul'n say we useta go t'getteh. We wen' out a few times back when, had a few laughs. B'foeh I -- um -- moved upstate. But mos'ly we jus' woiked t'getteh, onnat truck ya Uncle Frank had. Makin' d'liveries, y'know." "Uncle Frank's a plumbeh," notes Sally. "What kin'a d'liveries you make?" "Ohhhhhh," hesitates Alice. "You know. Ummmm -- coppeh pipe, empty bot'ls..." "What's Uncle Frank need'n wit' empty bot'ls?" queries Sally. "Ummmm," ummms Alice. "T'ey'd fill 'em up wit' -- um -- wateh -- f'r -- um -- testin'a coppeh pipes. Very whatchacawl precision woik. Uncle Frank haddat waehouse out'na Flatlan's, y'know, did a lotta -- um -- testin' -- um, anyways, I t'ink Mickey would like a -- um -- a decka cawrds." "T'at's a good ideeh," nodes Sally. "When we was kids we useta play lotsa cawrds -- Ol' Maid, Go Fish, Slapjack..." "Yeh," nods Alice with a forced smile. "He was awrways good at' t'em kindsa games.")

Sally's just not ready to see the truth.

Dodger catcher Mickey Owen joined former county tax supervisor Dave Soden on the stage of Coney Island's Vogue Theatre last night, putting on an act that sold $20,000 worth of war bonds.

Owen: "If you'd like, I'll hold the cash and checks and you can bring the bag over."
Everyone at once: "No! Umm, we'll take care of it, you just talk to the potential buyers."

(Poor Mickey, eighty-plus years later and jerks like us are still making cheap jokes at his expense. )

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(7).jpg

(POINT OF ORDER -- Don't the rules of comic-strip amnesia say you're supposed to be hit in the HEAD? Not the -- ah -- ...).

" But, Lizzie, that's were Bo's brains are."
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_.jpg

"Services rendered." I bet.

To be fair "services rendered" is a reasonably accurate description of the transaction.

For a Vanderbilt, that seems like a really small estate.

And also...
Daily_News_Sat__Sep_11__1943_(5).jpg

It's nice to see the home front carrying on like business as usual.

One, "Bronxites," really? And, two, tough year to go all in on the Dodgers.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
A chuckler that Vanderbilt estate story where a woman petitions suit against decedent for ''rendered services''.

Tragic homefront tales of suicide or assault attest our fragile nature that exists side of strength and resilience.

Just checking in to see what others are experiencing, as after a decent evening and early morning of the site working pretty well, I've been getting a lot of slowdown and freezing up of the FL site all afternoon (east coast time). Are others getting that too?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_.jpg

("I wondeh what he's doin' right now," sighs Sally, as she and Joe relax in the morning sun on the front stoop, gazing over at Leonora scribbling on the sidewalk with a bit of old brick. "Who?" replies Joe, leaning back against the step and stretching with contentment. "Mickey," returns Sally. "Inna prison camp. I wondeh what he's doin' right now." "I dunno," shrugs Joe. "Same t'ing he awrways does?" Sally shoots her husband a wounded look, and he hastens to clarify his remark. "I mean, 'a couese," he stammers, "what he awrways does in toims a' -- um -- t'inkin' oveh t'sitchiation an' t'inkin' up a way out, y'see? Nobody betteh'nat t'an Mickey, right? I betcha right now he's woikin' out a way to dig a tunnel awr crawl undeh t'wieh, awr some utteh way, an' he'll get outta t'eh befoeh Chris'mas. Prob'ly ev'n getta medal." "Y'really t'ink so?" sighs Sally. "I hate t'ink of'im locked up behin' bawrbed wieh an' awl." Joe shifts uncomfortably. "Yeh," he nods. "Hey," he ventures, changing the subject. "Lookit Leonoreh oveh t'eh. Awrmos' looks like she's writin' onna sidewawk, don' it?"" "Yeh," chuckles Sally. "Lookit 'eh go." Sally gets up and steps over to take a closer look at her daughter's efforts. "Hey," she heys to her husband. "Joe. C'meeh. Lookit t'is." Joe steps over and gazes down to where Sally is pointing. "Heh," he hehs. "It does look like writin', don' it? T'at fois' t'ing t'eh looks like a 'R' an' nex' to it looks like a 'H.' How 'bout t'at!'" "Joe," continues Sally, "wait a minute. Look oveh t'eh, t'at billboehd onna roof upawcrawssa t'street. T' beeh one. Lookit what it says. 'Rheingold,' it says.""Yeh," nods Joe. "So it does." "Now lookit what Leonoreh wrote onna sidewawk. "R-H, an'nat one nex' to it looks like she's tryin' t'make a 'E.' Joe, she's copyin' 'at sign, t'at's what she's doin'! Two yeehs ol', an' she's copyin' lettehs offa sign! TWO YEEHS OL'!" "Huh," marvels Joe, as Leonora, completely absorbed in her work, slowly and carefully strokes an 'I'.)

German troops are fleeing in disarray before a Red Army advance on Pavlograd, only 34 miles east of the Dnieper River, while Soviet forces reached within 94 miles of Kiev, capital of the Ukraine, it was reported today in a Russian communique. The Red Army, carrying forward the battle to expel the Nazis from the last strip of German-held soil east of the Dnieper to its final phase, registered general advances on a 450 mile front and regained nearly 200 towns and village, Radio Moscow reported. Close to 4000 Germans were killed as the Soviet troops drove machine-like toward the west.

The government of Argentine President Gen. Pedro Ramirez officially denied last night rumors that it had been overthrown by a military coup, and a proclamation from President Ramirez declared that "the regime born of revolution last June will act according to the nation's dignity and interests." The dispatch from Santiago, Chile attributed the claim that the Ramirez government had been ousted to a "highly authoritative source."

Thirty kosher butchers in Brooklyn have closed their shops over the past week, and their owners are now looking for other employment, according to attorney Nathan Swedler, chief counsel for the Eastern States Slaughterers and Meatpackers Incorporated. A study of business conditions conducted by that association noted that butchers who have closed down could get no beef at all over the past ten days, and therefore found it impossible to operate their businesses. Swedler told the Eagle that one prominent kosher butcher, Eugene B. Small of 1305 Newkirk Avenue, had attempted to purchase beef in Orange County, N. Y. in a last attempt to keep his shop open.

A 48-year-old Long Island man hung himself from a tree in woods off Fairy Dell Avenue in Quogue late yesterday after he shot and wounded a Hampton Bays woman following an argument. Carl Schreiber, who was estranged from his wife and children, had gone to the home of 28-year-old Antoinette Sapione of Hampton Bays yesterday afternoon. Neighbors told police he chased Miss Sapione out of the house and shot her three times in the back with a .35 caliber pistol. Schreiber, who had been living in Quogue as a roomer at the Montauk Highway home of Miss Sapione's mother, fled into the woods after the shooting and hung himself with his belt. Miss Sapione is expected to recover from her injuries.

Ration Book No. 3 is now authorized for use, although the OPA notes that Book No. 2 red stamps X, Y, and Z will remain valid for the purchase of butter, cheese, canned milk, and canned fish thru October 1st.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(1).jpg

(And if they don't like the fruit cake, they can always throw it at the enemy.)

A "war hero" picked up by police in Kansas City decked out in the highly decorated uniform of a Navy petty officer first class has been revealed as a runaway fourteen-year-old boy from Queens. Edward John Smizawaski of Long Island City was arrested at Kansas City's Union Station and quickly confessed his true identity. The youth told FBI agents that he had run away from home last week bound for San Diego where he planned to join the navy for real, and admitted that he carried forged papers stating that he was on leave after being wounded aboard the aircraft carrier Lexington. He also displayed a counterfeit telegram in the name of Navy Secretary Frank Knox ordering him to report to Washington to receive an additional naval citation.

Old Timer Robert Ryder recalls with pleasure the champion swimmers of Bath Beach, declaring that the Bensonhurst district once led the city in the development of "girls who set records in water."

With the fall school term opening in Brooklyn tomorrow, well over half a million boys and girls head back to their classrooms -- but over 25,000 youths will not, having chosen to leave school in favor of war jobs. High school enrollment is down across the board, except in the case of vocational high schools, where applications for admission are at a new peak.

Coney Island's Junior Commando unit has mixed feelings about returning to school tomorrow. Thirteen-year-old Colonel Lee Firester, who commands a 55-member J. C. unit in the section, notes that over the summer, his Commandos gathered 13,000 pounds of scrap for the war effort, and laments that the opening of school means less time for that vital work. But, he acknowledges, the J C.'s will be able to recruit additional members from among their classmates, and these new recruits will hopefully make up for the lost hours. Col. Firester's unit has earned more than $50 over the summer from scrap sold, and has donated nearly all of that to the Red Cross and Allied War Relief. The only local expenditure was for the purchase of blue overseas caps, of the type worn by air raid wardens, for issue to Junior Commando officers from the rank of captain up. Col. Firester writes off that expense as "trifling," and says that it's been a boost to his unit's morale.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(2).jpg

("And why aar ye so dressed up t'day?" inquires Uncle Frank, taking a deep draught of his two-cents-plain as Ma Sweeney fiddles with her veil. "I'm goin' to the baseball game today," Ma declares with a prim smile. "Ye can come aaar go as ye please, but Oi am goin' to the baseball game. Mr. Fitzsimmons will be tharr, with the Philadelphias, aand I plan to wish him well faar the winter." "Poor old man," chuckles Uncle Frank, leaning back on his stool. "He's yoonger than YOU boi twannty years," huffs Ma. "And, Oi'd dare say, a good tharrty pounds loighter!" "P'raps I should go aat thaat," declares Uncle Frank. "I moit wish to extend me regaards t'Mr. Fitzsimmons meself." "As ye should," nods Ma. "D'ye know," continues Uncle Frank, with just a hint of mischief in his tone, "if thaat deloightful Miss Chester will be on haand?" "HMPH!" hmphs Ma, with excessive hmphiness. "Pooor old man!")

With the Dodgers ending their home season at Ebbets Field this afternoon, Tommy Holmes predicts there will be many changes ahead for the Flock before the new campaign begins next spring -- but he stops short of predicting that the exit of Leo Durocher will be one of them. Leo's fate, he notes, is entirely in the hands of Branch Rickey, and should the Dodgers manage to finish this season "a respectable second," it would go far toward convincing Mr. Rickey that Leo is a man who "shoots for the works."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(3).jpg

(Swing it, Maestro!)

Comedienne Patsy Kelly has always been annoyed at the fact that no one ever notices her legs. "It's my fate to be funny," she laments. "I pick out a snazzy dress, but the makeup men make me look like an animated tub. I work up a pomp hairdo, and the hairdressers calmly comb it away. I'm not kicking, but I just want to look like Hedy Lamaar once in my life! Are you laughing? Me, I'm passing out with delirium!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(5).jpg

(Don'cha hate when that happens?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(6).jpg

(Fat Hermann must be quite a sight now that he's had a chance to lose some weight.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(7).jpg

(Helpful Hint: It's never a good idea to begin a long soliloquy while you're swimming for your life.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(8).jpg

("You're acting like a child" = Phil every day of his life. And shed a tear, if you will, for all the soon-to-be-out-of-work pinboys.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(9).jpg

("If Cary Grant can model for the comics," says Mayor LaGuardia, "why can't I??")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_.jpg

Now wait, is is his name Alfred Wiener or Walter Wiener? Or are we to assume that in a situation like this any Wiener will do?

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(2).jpg

Around the theatre, we call it "seltzerpantsing" -- a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down their pants, and hope they flip you a few bucks on the side. It's a living.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(1).jpg

Nuf 'sed.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(3).jpg

The sad thing is, waterproof makeup doesn't really cost that much more.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(4).jpg

"The New World Cause?" Tsk, Mr. Gray. And Ma Sweeney finds this whole "Gumps" storyline offensive.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(5).jpg

Pinboys really do have a hard life. And I bet Lady Plushbottom knows all about "The Laxies."

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(6).jpg

Judy = Sally in 1921

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(7).jpg
Poor Mosely. This big long-awaited dramatic revelation, and he has to share the page with "Smokey Stover."

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(8).jpg

Whereas "Harold Teen" and "Winnie Winkle" have in common the fact that their title characters hardly appear at all.

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_12__1943_(9).jpg

"Um, come on over? Why, um, uh, for what?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters