Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_19__1942_(1).jpg

(And somewhere, one Cuthbert Behan says "don't worry, boys, it's all set.")

It sounds like these are departmental trials, not criminal trials. They should be tried in criminal court. Also, weren't there 49, not 34? Hopefully the difference isn't those who were allowed to retire as that is total BS. All of them belong in criminal court.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_19__1942_(2).jpg

("Wha's wittalleese homehs?" sputters Joe. "I t'ought we got ridda Hamlin!" "He cawls hisse'f 'Casey' now," growls Sally. "'Splains a lot," mutters Joe.)

Fair (and funny) point, but when a team loses 2-1, it's not the pitching that failed.

Mayor LaGuardia this week unveiled his official "war car," a former New York Police Department radio car specially equipped for His Honor's personal use. The vehicle retains its green-and-white police color scheme, but it is distinguished by the large "NYC" letters painted in white on the green hood, two oversized red emergency lights similar to those found on fire engines, another light equipped with a special lens that flashes the word MAYOR when a switch is thrown, bumpers painted in special luminous blackout paint, and five white enameled stars painted front and back. It is noted that full Army generals are only entitled to four stars on their staff cars.

This is awesome. Boys and their toys. Later today, time permitting, I am going to search for a picture of this car as my quick search found nothing.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_19__1942_(5).jpg

(Well now, we haven't seen Fat Hermann in a while, and he doesn't even get the center drawing.)

A fat man on a roller coaster. Goering could only be real, as he's too ludicrous to be a fictional character.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Apr_19__1942_(7).jpg

(It didn't take long for Leona to get used to being the Lady of the Manor again. And poor Kay is just counting the days until the WAACs start taking enlistments.)

Leona proved her mettle when the chips were down, but she was born to be a swell.

It's understandable why, but Kay has awful posture.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_19__1942_.jpg

This Assistant Director Foxworth has a very good press agent.

Ms. Juanita Stark's career never took off and was over by 1946 after about twenty uncredited roles. And her romance with Don Brown did not end in marriage. Thank you IMDB.

Daily_News_Sun__Apr_19__1942_(9).jpg

And nowwwwwwww......

eTerry1_COVER3D-6X6_1024x1024@2x.jpg copy 2.jpg

Mayor LaGuardia this week unveiled his official "war car," a former New York Police Department radio car specially equipped for His Honor's personal use. The vehicle retains its green-and-white police color scheme, but it is distinguished by the large "NYC" letters painted in white on the green hood, two oversized red emergency lights similar to those found on fire engines, another light equipped with a special lens that flashes the word MAYOR when a switch is thrown, bumpers painted in special luminous blackout paint, and five white enameled stars painted front and back. It is noted that full Army generals are only entitled to four stars on their staff cars.

So far, I've had no luck finding the Mayor's "War Car." I did find this neat picture of LaGuardia in a police car, but that's all I've found so far. Has anyone else tried / had any luck? Maybe the News or Eagle will run a picture tomorrow.

gettyimages-83180738-612x612.jpg

"DRIVE FASTER! BLOW THE SIREN! Hey is there anyway to make that sign on top say MAYOR?"

Oh, and as the hipsters used to say, The Dragon Lady is indeed "deck."

That car sounds too insanely goofy to be real. I'm so disappointed I couldn't find a picture of it. You know, somewhere, there is one out there. The "special lens flashing mayor" is just awesome for its craziness.

Seeing the Dragon Lady tomorrow will help take my mind off the car.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It sounds like these are departmental trials, not criminal trials. They should be tried in criminal court. Also, weren't there 49, not 34? Hopefully the difference isn't those who were allowed to retire as that is total BS. All of them belong in criminal court.

View attachment 419659
New York's Police Department certainly seems a closed shop. Very much in-house Magistrate Court
all 'grass' and 'meat' bulls herded together; although the AG went grand jury with evidence file.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, departmental trials -- same thing Behan went thru with the charges of stealing files from the Bergen Street precinct during the bail-bond investigation. In his case, though, he had a departmental trial after he was acquitted of criminal charges.

Maybe the Mayor should get in his fancy war car and drive over and have another strong talk with Commissioner Valentine. For that matter, perhaps Mr. Amen should have a strong talk with Commissioner Valentine.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and as the hipsters used to say, The Dragon Lady is indeed "deck."

Considered against Chaing, Mao, Tojo, John Bull, and Uncle Samuel, Dragon Gal has her inside straight.

Padraic holds a pair: Normandie and Merilly. His daughter easily ranks Ace of Hearts; and Norms is
a Deuce, too much crab apple pie served enroute. And her act is tiresome.

Acey-Deucey wild. And Dragon Gal's the wild card woman. :cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_.jpg

(So much going on today. Just when you think the Kern story has died down, Mr. Kern rips off the scab. Meanwhile, the Coughlin news comes as no surprise to anyone who read investigative journalist John Spivak's 1940 book "Shrine of the Silver Dollar," which presented proof that the Father not only controls the editorial policy of "Social Justice," but that he also owns it, lock, stock, and Goebbels tracts, despite extensively claiming otherwise. Quite a moneymaking proposition it was, too. And finally, they throw in a line that the Mad Dog Esposito Brothers were involved in rubbing out a cop in 1939? At the end of the story? If detectives weren't spending so much time in the back rooms of candy stores, maybe this story would have broken earlier, hmm?)

In Occupied France, collaborationists attending a mass meeting in support of the Pierre Laval regime were routed by a bomb thrown into the theatre where the meeting was being held. The bombing of the theatre in the Brittany city of Rennes occured during a speech by Lavalist leader Jacques Doirot, and is believed to have wounded at least one of the 800 persons attending the rally.

The War Production Board is investigating two of the nation's leading steel firms for "repeated and deliberate violations" of Federal priorities regulations, and will push now for a full-scale probe of the entire steel industry. The investigation into the activities of the Carnegie-Illinois Steel Corporation and the Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation charges that those two firms, more than four months after the U. S. declared war, willfully diverted steel earmarked for defense use to private customers with low priority ratings, "at the expense of the needs of the armed forces and the U. S. Maritime Commission." The investigation further charges that the most serious of these violations occurred early this year. The results of the WPB investigation have been turned over to the Justice Department for prosecution. Officials of the two firms deny the charges, and expressed surprise that such charges have been made.

Russian forces continue to advance on the Karelian Isthmus, despite Finnish resistance, and have shattered two Nazi regiments in heavy fighting south of Leningrad. Finnish reserves were thrown nine times against the advancing Soviets, but were thrown back each time, with heavy losses.

In Mount Carroll, Illinois, a twelve-year-old boy shot and killed his legal guardians because they spanked him for playing hookey from school. Billy Geiseman told police he shot 45-year-old farmer Charles Krugjohann and his 43-year-old wife Ada about eight times each with a .22 rifle, reloading after each shot. "They got me everything I wanted," said the boy, "but I was mad and I couldn't get over it."

The president of the International Catholic Truth Society has called for a federal ban on the Daily Worker, Communist newspaper. Father Edward Lodge Curran, former east coast representative for Father Charles E. Coughlin, in a speech before employees of the Brooklyn Union Gas Company, called for the ban in the wake of federal action barring Coughlin's "Social Justice" paper from the mails.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(1).jpg

("Synthetic rubber? We don't know anything about that. Why do you ask? Truman didn't send you, did he?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(2).jpg

(Definitely not a good time to be in the roadside-attraction business.)

Fires have broken out almost daily aboard the hulk of the Normandie, according to Fire Commissioner Patrick J. Walsh. Addressing the fire that erupted aboard the former French luxury liner, Commissioner Walsh acknowledged that sparks and molten metal from salvage operations aboard the ship cause frequent small fires which are extinguished at once by workers. The fire that erupted Saturday was, he says, caused by one such fire igniting cork insulation in a refrigerated section of the ship, and that flame burrowed deep into the cork, eventually touching off several explosions probably caused by pressurized gases.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(3).jpg

(Leo really ought to have a show of his own.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(4).jpg

(I still prefer the original 1925 cut, but Chaplin's narration of the reissue does have a certain fluty charm. And the music is extremely well-chosen.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(5).jpg

(Do you get the feeling Boody's getting tired of his job?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(6).jpg

(What if George had a stroke and nobody cared?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(7).jpg

(Hit him again. A nine-iron ought to do it.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(8).jpg

(Hope you brought the receipt.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(9).jpg

(WRIST-EATING DOG! WRIST-EATING DOG! WRIST-EATING DOG!)

basbol13

A-List Customer
View attachment 419810
(So much going on today. Just when you think the Kern story has died down, Mr. Kern rips off the scab. Meanwhile, the Coughlin news comes as no surprise to anyone who read investigative journalist John Spivak's 1940 book "Shrine of the Silver Dollar," which presented proof that the Father not only controls the editorial policy of "Social Justice," but that he also owns it, lock, stock, and Goebbels tracts, despite extensively claiming otherwise. Quite a moneymaking proposition it was, too. And finally, they throw in a line that the Mad Dog Esposito Brothers were involved in rubbing out a cop in 1939? At the end of the story? If detectives weren't spending so much time in the back rooms of candy stores, maybe this story would have broken earlier, hmm?)

In Occupied France, collaborationists attending a mass meeting in support of the Pierre Laval regime were routed by a bomb thrown into the theatre where the meeting was being held. The bombing of the theatre in the Brittany city of Rennes occured during a speech by Lavalist leader Jacques Doirot, and is believed to have wounded at least one of the 800 persons attending the rally.

The War Production Board is investigating two of the nation's leading steel firms for "repeated and deliberate violations" of Federal priorities regulations, and will push now for a full-scale probe of the entire steel industry. The investigation into the activities of the Carnegie-Illinois Steel Corporation and the Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation charges that those two firms, more than four months after the U. S. declared war, willfully diverted steel earmarked for defense use to private customers with low priority ratings, "at the expense of the needs of the armed forces and the U. S. Maritime Commission." The investigation further charges that the most serious of these violations occurred early this year. The results of the WPB investigation have been turned over to the Justice Department for prosecution. Officials of the two firms deny the charges, and expressed surprise that such charges have been made.

Russian forces continue to advance on the Karelian Isthmus, despite Finnish resistance, and have shattered two Nazi regiments in heavy fighting south of Leningrad. Finnish reserves were thrown nine times against the advancing Soviets, but were thrown back each time, with heavy losses.

In Mount Carroll, Illinois, a twelve-year-old boy shot and killed his legal guardians because they spanked him for playing hookey from school. Billy Geiseman told police he shot 45-year-old farmer Charles Krugjohann and his 43-year-old wife Ada about eight times each with a .22 rifle, reloading after each shot. "They got me everything I wanted," said the boy, "but I was mad and I couldn't get over it."

The president of the International Catholic Truth Society has called for a federal ban on the Daily Worker, Communist newspaper. Father Edward Lodge Curran, former east coast representative for Father Charles E. Coughlin, in a speech before employees of the Brooklyn Union Gas Company, called for the ban in the wake of federal action barring Coughlin's "Social Justice" paper from the mails.

View attachment 419813
("Synthetic rubber? We don't know anything about that. Why do you ask? Truman didn't send you, did he?")

View attachment 419814
(Definitely not a good time to be in the roadside-attraction business.)

Fires have broken out almost daily aboard the hulk of the Normandie, according to Fire Commissioner Patrick J. Walsh. Addressing the fire that erupted aboard the former French luxury liner, Commissioner Walsh acknowledged that sparks and molten metal from salvage operations aboard the ship cause frequent small fires which are extinguished at once by workers. The fire that erupted Saturday was, he says, caused by one such fire igniting cork insulation in a refrigerated section of the ship, and that flame burrowed deep into the cork, eventually touching off several explosions probably caused by pressurized gases.

View attachment 419817
(Leo really ought to have a show of his own.)

View attachment 419818
(I still prefer the original 1925 cut, but Chaplin's narration of the reissue does have a certain fluty charm. And the music is extremely well-chosen.)

View attachment 419819
(Do you get the feeling Boody's getting tired of his job?)

View attachment 419820
(What if George had a stroke and nobody cared?)

View attachment 419821
(Hit him again. A nine-iron ought to do it.)

View attachment 419822
(Hope you brought the receipt.)

View attachment 419823

That 12 year old Mt Carroll boy had some very deep psychological issues when you think about it, when you have to reload 16 times it quickly turns from a crime of passion to one of deliberate cold blooded psychopathy behavior

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_.jpg

Only "one out of five American-born Japanese is in fact loyal to this country?" "Army and FBI authorities agree?"Or, as certain types in 2021 are wont to say in support of bizarre statements on Reddit, "Source: Military."

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(1).jpg

And they even trim the crusts! NOW THAT'S LUXURY!

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(2).jpg

Point of Order: aren't Chuck and the Padre in the soup now for disturbing a crime scene? Oh well, at least Sandy got some bones.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(3).jpg

"Yes, Van Dyke. They used to call me 'Goatee,' but I put a stop to it. Because, you see, a Van Dyke and a goatee are two different things."

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(4).jpg
"Had you going with that 'velly solly' jive, didn't I?"

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(5).jpg

Unscrew the handle, knobhead.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(6).jpg

Sorry, kid, prepare to be outranked.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(7).jpg

Well, it'll do for that Home Guard thing.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(8).jpg

And isn't that always the way? YOU DON'T PAY MUCH ATTENTION TO POP. And now you'll be sorry!

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(9).jpg

Empty bottles, cigar butts, and playing cards. Where's Moon gonna sleep?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
That 12 year old Mt Carroll boy had some very deep psychological issues when you think about it, when you have to reload 16 times it quickly turns from a crime of passion to one of deliberate cold blooded psychopathy behavior

Geiseman cannot avail Passion as defense against evident mens rea which element include
deliberate intent, malice aforethought, depraved heart indifference; all reflected in actus reus
mobile firing positioning, victim track, expended shell retrieve, subsequent concealment, and
returning weapon to storage. He also stole money and took auto key.

A minor at twelve years is normally accorded juvenille incapacity; however, such heinous
conduct committed by a child with given testimony, adds a cumulative accounting toward
emancipation and trial as an adult. Tragic to say the least.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_.jpg

No kidding, it's a head-spinning cover page today. The Esposito Brothers story with a diver and all could easily be tweaked into a "Dick Tracy" storyline.

While many companies, even "important" ones, come and go, Royal Dutch Shell, seen here in the news in 1942, was also recently in the news about, like many companies, its abandoning billions of dollars of investments in Russia in the wake of Russia's Ukraine invasion.

Two stories that I hope don't go away until fully investigated and prosecuted are the cops gambling one and the Flynn antique Belgian courtyard corruption one.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(4).jpg

I can't wait for Hitchcock's "Saboteur" to be released as it will be fun to see how 1942 embraces it.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(9).jpg

[On the telephone] "...so that's what she said, counselor, thoughts?"

"Appropriate use - all good."

"Phew, we were out of money anyway. You can go back to class now, Lizzie."

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_.jpg

Only "one out of five American-born Japanese is in fact loyal to this country?" "Army and FBI authorities agree?"Or, as certain types in 2021 are wont to say in support of bizarre statements on Reddit, "Source: Military."

It feels like there's more to the three-runaway-girls story, especially with that bizarre postcard.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(4).jpg

"Had you going with that 'velly solly' jive, didn't I?"

"What's buzzing', cousin?" probably sounded cool in 1942.

It appears Caniff is going to make us wait a bit until the Dragon Lady returns.

Daily_News_Mon__Apr_20__1942_(5).jpg

Unscrew the handle, knobhead.

Wasn't Bim on the case? I had some hope when he was involved.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
While many companies, even "important" ones, come and go, Royal Dutch Shell, seen here in the news in 1942, was also recently in the news about, like many companies, its abandoning billions of dollars of investments in Russia in the wake of Russia's Ukraine invasion.

"What's buzzing', cousin?" probably sounded cool in 1942.

It appears Caniff is going to make us wait a bit until the Dragon Lady returns.

French television broadcast excellent analysis of the financial and petroleum markets last nite.
Paris is awake to continental oil and gas realities in wake of past slumber.
-----
On a lighter note, and I just cannot stop myself either...

Dragon Lady is all abuzz. She gives a great hum dinger, as I always knew.;)
Ask that 'invader captain' about that great head hum dinger stinger she gave him.:D

Al Hirt's Flight of The Bumblebee plays background whenever she appears. o_O

LizzieMaine

Bartender
With the Phillippines now having fallen and Bataan an incipient horror, I fear that April and Terry may be in for a much rougher situation than they had expected. Burma, however, assuming she killed Judas and escaped with just a flesh wound, has likely found a way to take care of herself. I like to think that she and Cap'n Blaze crossed paths and they are now teamed up in a particularly entertaining guerilla cell.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
With the Phillippines now having fallen and Bataan an incipient horror, I fear that April and Terry may be in for a much rougher situation than they had expected. Burma, however, assuming she killed Judas and escaped with just a flesh wound, has likely found a way to take care of herself. I like to think that she and Cap'n Blaze crossed paths and they are now teamed up in a particularly entertaining guerilla cell.
As memory serves Terry is still in Hong Kong. April last seen inside what I believe was Kowloon;
or perhaps she never left the island. Caniff, if true to form, will return her to page and hopefully soon.

I cannot recall from earlier childhood acquaintance with this fascinating strip how, what, when
Terry's military induction occurred; though it's reasonable conjecture he attained majority
and is motivated in that direction. With Imperial Japanese control of the Crown colony and Dutch East
Indies, Philippines, that leaves Macau open ended. He needs to go talk to the pit boss at the
Hong Kong Casino and nail down some kinda gig where he can lay low and make a few bucks
meanwhiles. Learn enough Portuguese to speak some of the floor lingo, play passable stud poker,
blend in with all the ambience-indigenous, and wait n' see.

Patrick really has his ass in-a-sling with Merriweather and Crabcakes. Try to connect with
Dragon Gal and book passage somehow out of Dodge. Grab the next 3.10 to Yuma stagecoach,
whatever back home to American chow and the New York Times.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Burma, however, assuming she killed Judas and escaped with just a flesh wound, has likely found a way to take care of herself. I like to think that she and Cap'n Blaze crossed paths and they are now teamed up in a particularly entertaining guerilla cell.

Sky King hit Judas with a Springfield .30-06 round in the left abdominal, probably missing the
descended aorta but slicing through the left kidney. Judas spoke to Burma, acknowledged the wound
before going into shock. Death from internal hemorrhage, cardiac arrest within three or four minutes.

Burma, like Terry can hide in the open in Hong Kong but would be advised to get up to Macau
where she would better fit in within its foreign ambience. I do not recall any wound to her person
and unless she moves fast out in the rural hustings she is sexual prey. Macau offers a blonde
Caucasian female a semblance of plausible cover cloaked by Portuguese refinement.
Time is ticking for her, and unless Caniff brings her back soon, as with April, character credibility
is de facto forfeit.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_.jpg

(Slappy Birthday, Adolf!)

The Japanese are pounding Corregidor Island with dive bombers in an effort to knock out the big guns which high-level bombing has so far failed to damage. It was the first time dive bombers have been used in the 13-day-old offensive against the Manila Bay forts and appeared to mark a new phase in the battle for the best harbor on the Far East. That the Japanese have begun to use heavy artillery against the Corregidor fortress also indicates that they have had time to consolidate their positions on Bataan Peninsula and move within range of Corregidor's larger-caliber guns.

Chinese forces under Lt. General Joseph W. Stilwell are holding the western Burma oil town of Yenangyuan, 130 miles southwest of Mandalay, after liberating 7000 trapped British troops and killing more than 500 Japanese. Driving south from Kyaukpadaung the Chinese launched a strong counterattack Sunday afternoon and rescued the encircled British tankers and infantrymen.

Soviet guerillas are reported by authoritative sources to have captured four villages on the northern front, and killed 783 Germans, including a Lieutenant Colonel. The guerilla attacks are also reported to have taken four tanks and blown up six Nazi ammunition dumps.

Despite strong opposition from movie and railroad interests, Mayor LaGuardia and Parks Commissioner Robert Moses have joined forces to support the proposed state legislation that would set clocks ahead another hour, beyond the year-round Eastern War Time already adopted at the Federal level. The Mayor and the Commissioner appealed to the State Senate for passage of a bill that would add the additional hour between May 15 and September 15, thus allowing additional evening daylight for sports and outdoor recreation. The motion picture industry has expressed opposition to the measure, arguing that additional daylight would cause potential patrons to pass theatres by, while railroad officials argue the additional hour would cause extensive confusion in interstate train schedules.

A second ban on the mailing of Father Coughlin's "Social Justice" magazine was issued today by Postmaster General Frank C. Walker, who ordered postmasters in Royal Oak, Michigan, where the publication is edited, and in Chicago, where the paper is printed, to consider the April 20th issue to be unmailable under the Espionage Act of 1917. Attorney General Francis Biddle has already recommended revocation of the magazine's second-class mailing permit under the terms of the Sedition Act, after stating that the paper's contents are "clearly seditious."

Meanwhile, Brooklyn attorney Joseph Goldstein has served formal complaints about the distribution of "Social Justice" on local newsstands, and by carriers in public parks, with documents filed with Licence Commissioner Paul Moss and Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, citing the revocation of the paper's mailing permit as grounds for a city-wide ban. Attorney Goldstein indicated that he was acting on behalf of a local coalition of "pastors, civic bodies, fraternal orders, and individuals."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_.jpg

("I don't know nut'n 'bout nut'n, no way an' no how!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(1).jpg

("I dunno," says Sally. "If I was t'say my name when I cawl 'at MacPhail, ya t'ink he's gonna tawk t'me?" "I dunno," sighs Joe. "But maybe y'shou'nt say 'lissen ya red-faced bum!" right off neit'eh.")

Reader A. Maloney writes in to castigate the Eagle for its endorsement of the ban on "Social Justice," and declares that it "compels me to discontinue my daily purchasing and reading of the Eagle until you discontinue such unfair articles. Numbers of my friends are doing likewise." Mr. Schroth acknowledges that many similar letters have been received, many of which could not be published because they are "scurrilous in nature."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(2).jpg

(The odd headgear being worn as part of this blue-collar ensemble is the traditional paper hat of a newspaper press worker. Nice work if you can get it!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(3).jpg

(The season's a week old and Wyatt hasn't pitched yet? I don't think Leo likes pitchers very much. And hey, watch this Spahn kid on the Braves, they say he's got a pretty strong arm.)

The Bushwicks welcome their first "Negro opponents" of the 1942 campaign next Sunday when the Philadelphia Stars invade Dexter Park for a doubleheader. The Stars beat the Bushwicks three out of five games in 1941, and are an even stronger club this year with the addition of Homer "Goose" Curry, obtained over the winter in a trade with the Black Yankees.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(4).jpg

(Join us tomorrow for "The Adventures of Slap-Happy, Yoo Hoo, and the Turtle.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(5).jpg

(George has had a curse on him since 1919.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(6).jpg

(Because brain damage is the key to an enduring relationship.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(7).jpg

(I often feel, when I wake up in the morning, like I'm hanging from a giant magnet about to be dropped into an industrial shredder. But that's just me.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(8).jpg

(FOOT SKINNING IRWIN! FOOT SKINNING IRWIN! FOOT SKINNING IRWIN!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News --

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_.jpg

Dr. Cowles was one of the most prominent "celebrity doctors" of his time, and also one of the shadiest.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(1).jpg

And soon it will be the law that all white flour sold in interstate commerce MUST be enriched.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(2).jpg

Time to skip town, Doc.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(3).jpg

"You got a tool shed? Let's look under there first."

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(4).jpg

"You'll have to huddle together closely. Very close." "WELL SHOOT THE SHERBET TO ME HERBERT!"

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(5).jpg

You're not getting out of it THAT easy.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(6).jpg

Tops may be losing weight in the Army, but he's still a fathead.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(7).jpg

"Wait'll he toilet-papers the Imperial Palace!"

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(8).jpg

The plot thickens, like Beezie's waistline.

Daily_News_Tue__Apr_21__1942_(9).jpg

I imagine Mr. Cush won't be standing up again for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points