Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__May_12__1942_.jpg

(And that's why you should never carry an automatic in your handbag. A small revolver, like a Colt Pocket Positive, is much safer.)

In my three-plus decades of living in NYC, the "should Brooklyn succeed" question comes up periodically. Only from memory, the big problem is, and maybe it's changed with Brooklyn's growing wealth of the past two decades, it's the taxes paid by Manhattan's wealthy business and residential districts that supports the social services Brooklyn uses, so succeeding is, in reality, not feasible.

Members of Congress will be issued "X" cards, allowing unlimited purchase of gasoline once fuel rationing goes into effect in the District of Columbia and seventeen eastern states on May 15th. An Office of Price Administration spokesman in charge of registering congressmen noted that the unlimited ration is for "official use" only. Members of Congress owning two cars will be given an "A" card for the second vehicle, and each card may only be used for the specific car noted on the registration form.

Hardship for thee, not for me. Nothing changes.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_12__1942_.jpg

("Chu Chu?")

Google provided no answers. I'm guessing it's a rich-person's nickname. Sounds like that cutesy stuff the well-to-do did back then.

Queens bookmaker Frank A. Erickson, often in trouble with city authorities, today agreed to return $42,500 in horse race bets lost by a disbarred attorney who embezzled the money from his clients. The settlement stems from a Court of Appeals ruling that a bettor has a right to recover losses from a professional gambler by going to court. The $42,500 is part of a total of $193,620 lost by John A. Austin, disbarred lawyer, between 1932 and 1936, and will be returned to Austin's former clients. Austin served three and a half years in Sing Sing Prison on a grand larceny conviction, and upon his release moved to California, where he is now an executive of an aircraft corporation. Two years ago, a Supreme Court ruling absolved Erickson of any responsibility for repaying the losses, but the Court of Appeals reversed that ruling and ordered a new trial.

How is a Supreme Court ruling absolved by a Court of Appeals, unless the Supreme Court was State and the Court of Appeals was Federal. Either way, what BS - arrest the bookie and fine him, but that a better can sue to get the money he/she lost back is garbage. Right Nick?

"It's unAmerican!"
Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_12__1942_(2).jpg

("Such talent was unsuspected here???" roars Sally, as Stella the Cat flees for safety under the stove and Joe spills a glass of milk in his own lap. "BY YOU MAYBE!!!"

The Billy Conn story would never hold up as fiction; it's only believable because it's true.

Poor Joe has to think, "couldn't they have just kept Corscarart, he's only one player?"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__May_12__1942_(4).jpg

(Maybe Sparky will make a surprise crossover reappearance in "Invisible Scarlett O'Neil." They're made for each other!)

One of my main goals in life is to never go to prison, but one imagines seeing one's girl would trump hanging out with the guys on the list of immediate things to do when released. You'd think you wouldn't even need a list to know that.

I'd miss Sparky, but not that much, if he's out of the paper, yet I feel the Eagle owes us an update one way or the other.

Daily_News_Tue__May_12__1942_(2).jpg

Did Punj just threaten to decapitate Sandy? Is that in his contract?

"What!? My agent said this was going to be a career-making storyline for me. Damn him and his 15%. He's fired if I get written out."
Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Dec_28__1941_(2).jpg

Daily_News_Tue__May_12__1942_(4).jpg

Ryan, you dawg. She doesn't mean THAT kind of relaxation.

Or does she? She's feeling jealous of Normandie and might want to remind Pat that not every ride at the amusement park provides the same enjoyment.

Daily_News_Tue__May_12__1942_(5).jpg

Rent a car? DON'T YOU KNOW THERE'S A WAR ON?

Hope he checked if the gun was loaded.

416088-c69dcff8e8c0dce3ff3eeb6dd3e76494.jpg

He gets a big kick out of a fine hunk of mechanism. Sorry, Nina.

Of the "Gasoline Alley" crew, Wilmer was always the one I thought would go in for a fine hunk of mechanism.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's conspicuous how wide a berth Harold and Lillums have been giving each other ever since he got back from his running-away-from-home adventure, aside from the occasional bit of nostalgic flirtation. Could it be our young folk are finally growing up?

What better timing for the arrival of a draft notice.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_.jpg

("Ya wanna X cawd? Run f' Cawngress! NEXT!")

Six men, including three Brooklyn residents, today await prosecution as proprietors of the first scheme to be uncovered for the manufacture and distribution of counterfeit war savings stamps. Arrested yesterday by agents of the Secret Service, the suspects blamed their troubles on "the patriotism of the underworld," after efforts to recruit mobsters into the scheme backfired when those hoodlums denounced them for "attempting to take advantage of the Government in wartime," and then tipped off the Treasury Department. It was indicated that members of the Purple Gang of Detroit were the group offered a part of the enterprise. One of the suspects arrested is 59-year old Harry Horowitz, alias Harry Hale, of 845 45th Street in Sunset Park, whose Manhattan print shop handled the manufacture of the phony stamps. Over 210,000 counterfeit 25 cent savings stamps and the printing plates used to create them were seized from Horowitz's shop, and the printer is being held on $20,000 bail. Another Brooklyn defendant, 35-year-old Louis Samouski, alias Louis Sommers, of 1510 Lincoln Road, is said to be the "financial backer" of the enterprise. The third Brooklyn man arrested, 43-year-old Abraham Glickstein, alias Al Stone, of 453 Pulaski Street, was said to be in charge of peddling the false stamps.

The Office of Price Adminsitration today blamed an "inaccurate interpretation of the gasoline ration regulations" for the issuance of X cards to Congressmen on a blanket basis. Chief of the OPA rationing branch Joel Dean stated today that "no one is entitled to X cards because of their position as a Government employee." But that new interpretation came only after 200 members of Congress had already claimed and had been issued X cards under the previous interpretation of the rules. It was stated today that "several Congressmen" have since exchanged their X cards for B cards.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_.jpg

("Ya love me, don'cha?" inquires Joe, a look of concern clouding his features. "'Cawse I do," replies Sally, as she pins a diaper to the pulley line outside the kitchen window and creaks it out over the courtyard. "Who wout'n? Look atcha. Ya lovable." "You ain' -- um -- gonna kill nobody a' nutt'n inna name a love, awrya?" "Wasn' plannin' ta," Sally responds. "Any reason why I oughta?" "'No, no" says Joe. "Jus' a -- whattayacawl -- t'eoretical question. I promise I wouln' kill nobody neit'eh, not ev'n some guy might come ta town f'm, I dunno, Pittsboig a' sump'n." "What?" queries Sally, hanging another diaper. "Nut'n," mutters Joe.)

A "ticker tape" welcome back from Bataan is planned for Lt. John D. Bulkeley of Long Island City when he rides up Broadway in Manhattan at the head of the Army-Navy Relief Parade tomorrow noon. In the parade tomorrow will be divisions of soldiers, sailors, and marines, contingents of the Red Cross Ambulance Corps, American Womens' Volunteer Services, and other groups. Mayor LaGuardia and Navy Relief charman Stanton Griffis will be grand marshals of the parade.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(1).jpg

(Schaefer and Rheingold say "WHO DRINKS MILWAUKEE BEER IN BROOKLYN???")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(2).jpg

("McTwaddle" is Bernarr Macfadden, publisher of Liberty magazine, and the pre-eminent "alternative-health" promoter of the first half of the twentieth century. Line up for your mercury treatments, fellas!)

Today's Hitler Helper: the man who refuses to sing "It's a Long Way To Tipperary" or "Over There" at a party, declaring "No War Songs!" By taking this position he helps spread the idea that the war is a controversial matter about which Americans can quarrel, or "something that doesn't concern us as Americans."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(3).jpg

("And it wasn't even 'Good Bye Mama, I'm Off To Yokahama!")

One of New York's former burlesque impresarios, left jobless by the recent city-imposed closure of all burly houses, has filed for bankrupcy. Herbert Minsky, of the famous Minsky Brothers, listed liabilities of $65,837,50 and no assets.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(4).jpg

(Cincinnati? Fourth place club. Pffft. They *are* still in fourth place, right?)

Radio editor Jo Ranson returns from vacation to mourn the death of NBC announcer Graham McNamee, once the most famous name in broadcasting, whose "Good evening ladies and gentlemen of the radio audience" heralded the start of the nation's most prestigious broadcast events. MacNamee, who died of a throat infection on May 9th, was "one of radio's robust personalities, who made many friends who will miss him."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(5).jpg

(Well here's a Page Four special waiting to happen.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(6).jpg

(Objection, leading the witness.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(7).jpg

(Artie Shaw says "who's this guy think he is?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(8).jpg

(If this club isn't run by the actual Skull, then whoever does own it really needs to reevaluate their marketing plan.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_.jpg

"Great, great. Can we get another take?"

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(1).jpg

Please don't give this boob a Purple Heart.

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(2).jpg

It's certainly inspiring to see how much Punjab enjoys his work.

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(3).jpg

Everything ends up in court.

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(4).jpg

"You will be assigned to -- babysitting duty. Bring the mousy one to me. She has proven herself a formidable fighter. I wish to send her to the front."

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(5).jpg

"Pretty good, huh? Real hard boiled acting! Bet ya thought I was Eddie Robinson, huh?"

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(6).jpg

"Skeezix? Skeezix who?"

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(7).jpg

2-C!

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(8).jpg

Has Shadow ever had his glands checked?

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(9).jpg

"One arm restaurant" = a cheap lunch room where customers sit in a row of one-arm school desks lined up against the wall. Not much opportunity for canoodling.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_.jpg

("Ya wanna X cawd? Run f' Cawngress! NEXT!")

The frantic rush, with help from kind police officers, to find a minister or Justice of the Peace to marry "them" before the soldier has to be back at base is a scene right out of the movies.

Six men, including three Brooklyn residents, today await prosecution as proprietors of the first scheme to be uncovered for the manufacture and distribution of counterfeit war savings stamps. Arrested yesterday by agents of the Secret Service, the suspects blamed their troubles on "the patriotism of the underworld," after efforts to recruit mobsters into the scheme backfired when those hoodlums denounced them for "attempting to take advantage of the Government in wartime," and then tipped off the Treasury Department. It was indicated that members of the Purple Gang of Detroit were the group offered a part of the enterprise. One of the suspects arrested is 59-year old Harry Horowitz, alias Harry Hale, of 845 45th Street in Sunset Park, whose Manhattan print shop handled the manufacture of the phony stamps. Over 210,000 counterfeit 25 cent savings stamps and the printing plates used to create them were seized from Horowitz's shop, and the printer is being held on $20,000 bail. Another Brooklyn defendant, 35-year-old Louis Samouski, alias Louis Sommers, of 1510 Lincoln Road, is said to be the "financial backer" of the enterprise. The third Brooklyn man arrested, 43-year-old Abraham Glickstein, alias Al Stone, of 453 Pulaski Street, was said to be in charge of peddling the false stamps.

"See, we're patriotic Americans"
Daily_News_Wed__Jun_12__1940_(3).jpg

One of New York's former burlesque impresarios, left jobless by the recent city-imposed closure of all burly houses, has filed for bankrupcy. Herbert Minsky, of the famous Minsky Brothers, listed liabilities of $65,837,50 and no assets.

Was Minsky the inspiration for the impresario, whose name escapes me, in "The G-String Murders?"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Wed__May_13__1942_(8).jpg

(If this club isn't run by the actual Skull, then whoever does own it really needs to reevaluate their marketing plan.)

Seriously, a club with that name was decades ahead of Punk or Goth when it might have worked.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_.jpg

"Great, great. Can we get another take?"

"But he got drunk, and Nancy was charming..." describes the downfall of many a marriage.

The News couldn't resist getting in one dig at Miss Webb's appearance, "...the pale-faced girl defendant..."

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(5).jpg

"Pretty good, huh? Real hard boiled acting! Bet ya thought I was Eddie Robinson, huh?"

George Raft, maybe, but not Edward G.

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(8)-2.jpg

Has Shadow ever had his glands checked?

No teenage boy gets his gland checked more often than, oh, "glands" with an "s." Well, I don't know - good thought though.

Daily_News_Wed__May_13__1942_(9).jpg

"One arm restaurant" = a cheap lunch room where customers sit in a row of one-arm school desks lined up against the wall. Not much opportunity for canoodling.

I saw a one-armed restaurant in a pre-code recently (don't remember which one as it was just a quick background shot not relevant to the plot). I wonder if they didn't start when some would-be restauranteur got a great deal on some surplus school desks?

While the mechanics would be difficult, humans have proven quite adept at finding ways to make time with the opposite sex no matter the hurdles.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_.jpg

("The war was a time when all Americans cheerfully did their part and nobody tried to cheat," said nobody who was actually there, ever.)

Even buck privates in the Army, assuming the pending pay raise to $50 a month is approved, will have to pay income tax under a plan put forward by the House Ways and Means Committee to cut personal exemptions to the lowest level ever. The committee voted 17 to 7 to reduce the personal exemption from $750 to $500 for single persons and from $1500 to $1200 for married couples. That reaches down to single persons earning as little as $9.62 per week, and to married couples with a weekly income of $23.08. A soldier under the pending pay schedule would receive $600 per year, and if he were single, with no other allowable deductions aside from the 10 percent earned income deduction, he would have a taxable income of $40, for a tax liability of $4, made up of a regular tax of $1.60 and a wartime surtax of $2.40. Nationwide, between 8,000,000 and 10,000,000 persons who have never before had to pay income tax would be required to do so next year if Congress approves the plan.

Mystery veils the War Department's plans for a "petticoat army," once the President signs authorization for the formation of a Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, an action which he is expected to take today. Full details are not likely to emerge until Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson appoints a head for the new Corps, but it is known that members of the WAAC will wear uniforms issued by the War Department, and officers will be commissioned from among women meeting specific qualifications. Qualified privates will be given the opportunity to be commissioned following completion of an Officer Candidates School course. The initial organization of the WAAC is expected to consist of approximately 12,200 women organized into 50 companies. Forty companies will be assigned to duty with the Army Aircraft Warning Service, while the remainder will be distributed among Army camps for clerical and similar support duties, releasing the men now holding those jobs for combat service. It is expected that total WAAC enlistment may ultimately reach 150,000.

A violent earthquake rocked Guaysquill, Ecuador today, killing at least 60 persons and demolishing three large buildings, while also disrupting electric and communication lines over the metropolitan area. The temblor shook the city of 96,000 for approximately one minute, and ignited several fires within the quake zone.

Some 300 WPA workers are rushing to equip Gracie Mansion in Manhattan's Carl Schurz Park as the new official residence of Mayor LaGuardia. Parks Department officials supervising the work indicated that much interior work remains to be done, but promised that the Mayor will be able to move in by tomorrow's deadline for completion of the job.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(1).jpg

("A voice honeyed with hypocrisy." Somebody's already working on the novelization.)

Mayor LaGuardia and Bronx Borough President James L. Lyons are today considering further action in the matter of the Belgian paving blocks that found their way to the country estate of Democratic National Committee Chairman Edward J. Flynn, following demands from the Citizens' Union that the case not be allowed to rest after the Bronx Grand Jury failed to vote any indictments. The Citizens' Union demanded that the Mayor instruct Commissioner of Investigations William Herlands to resume his inquiry into the affair, and that Borough President Lyons be instructed to take action to correct the conditions that permitted the incident to occur. Specifically criticized by the Citizens' Union was the retirement on full penson of Bronx Public Works Commissioner Robert L. Moran, despite his role in the case.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(2).jpg

(Aw, not "Kings' Row" again. At least the B feature looks promising.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(3).jpg

(I realize the point of the article is to sell the styles, but I'd much rather see a picture of over-75-year-old Mrs. Josephine Robinson doing a few amazing turns and cartwheels.)

The Eagle Editorialist tells Bronx councilman Joseph E. Kinsley exactly where to get off. "How does the councilman get that way?" the EE sniffs. "One would think that this borough was accustomed to getting everything it sought at City Hall with the greatest of ease." He further points out that Brooklyn is entitled to more than the Bronx on the sheer basis of population alone, with twice as many people living in this borough, and the value of Brooklyn real estate exceeds that of the Bronx by more than a billion dollars. So there.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(4).jpg

("I dunno, Ma always told me to stay out of Red Hook.")

Funeral services were held yesterday for 52-year-old Richard Koehner, best friend and boon companion of Gargantua the Ape, who died of cancer Monday in Polyclinic Hospital. Mr. Koehner had known the famous gorilla since the ape was brought to Brooklyn by Mrs. Gertrude Lintz. Mr. Koehner became the gorilla's nurse and closest companion, but their relationship grew strained when it became necessary for Mr. Koehner to cage the ape. The gorilla, then named "Buddy," resented his confinement, and hit Mr. Koehner in the face, breaking his nose and shattering his jaw. But Mr. Koehner forgave his charge for his indiscretions, and once stated that he loved Gargantua more than anything, and that he had nothing else more important in his life than his friendship with the ape.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(5).jpg

("It's awl set," declares Sally. "I got my ticket, an' Ma is gonna take Leonora for t'day, an' I'm awready t'go!" "Look," sighs Joe, "do me a faveh, huh? I dunno whatcha gonna do, zacktly, but promise me ya won' -- um -- I dunno -- get arrested a' nut'n, will ya?" "I like t'at!" snorts Sally. "I neveh been arrested a day in my life! Not a day in my life!" "Well, remembeh las' summeh, whennat cop come 'roun' wantin' to know who was it kep' t'rowin radios outta windeh?" "Yeah, but I neveh got arrested!" "Annat time we went ta Boston..." "I neveh got arrested!" "An'nat time t'ey sen' ya t'at letteh sayin' not ta call Larry MacPhail no moeh..." "I NEVEH GOT ARRESTED!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(6).jpg

(Mr. Stamm clearly goes for a more hardboiled effect in his dailies than in his Sundays.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(7).jpg

(Objection, your honor. Nosing the witness!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(8).jpg

("Twirl spaghetti?" In the back of a car???)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(9).jpg

(A little sciatica maybe, but he really doesn't look all that gimpy to me.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_.jpg

Get the picture first, then write the story around it.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(2).jpg

52nd between 5th and 6th still has a sign calling it "Swing Street," or it did the last time I was up that way - even though it's been a long time since 52nd Street actually swung. Leon and Eddie, where are you?

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(1).jpg

"The G-String Murders, huh? What makes you think they'd be interested in something like that?"

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(3).jpg

C'mon, Punj -- Chuckie might buy that line, but we were there with you in that cave, remember?

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(4).jpg

You know, this is EXACTLY what theatre life is like.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(5).jpg

"PS: Your remark that I was "welshing on the deal" was ethnically offensive."

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(6).jpg

It's almost like the DL must've read this pamphlet.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(7).jpg

Just can't get the help.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(9).jpg

For a six-year-old boy, Kayo is forty-two.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(10).jpg

Beginning tomorrow, "Harold Teen" will appear exclusively on Page Four.

Mayor LaGuardia and Bronx Borough President James L. Lyons are today considering further action in the matter of the Belgian paving blocks that found their way to the country estate of Democratic National Committee Chairman Edward J. Flynn, following demands from the Citizens' Union that the case not be allowed to rest after the Bronx Grand Jury failed to vote any indictments. The Citizens' Union demanded that the Mayor instruct Commissioner of Investigations William Herlands to resume his inquiry into the affair, and that Borough President Lyons be instructed to take action to correct the conditions that permitted the incident to occur. Specifically criticized by the Citizens' Union was the retirement on full penson of Bronx Public Works Commissioner Robert L. Moran, despite his role in the case.

The corruption is so blatantly obvious in this one that even the power of the state is having a hard time getting the story to go away.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(2).jpg

(Aw, not "Kings' Row" again. At least the B feature looks promising.)

Long before I knew there was something call Film Noir, I saw "This Gun for Hire" as a kid in the 1970s, watching it on an old B&W TV with mediocre antenna reception. I was hooked on the style even though I couldn't have told you that's what I loved about it then. I was also hooked on Veronica Lake. I'm surprised Cohn didn't pick up on the power of the Lake-Ladd pairing.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(5).jpg

("It's awl set," declares Sally. "I got my ticket, an' Ma is gonna take Leonora for t'day, an' I'm awready t'go!" "Look," sighs Joe, "do me a faveh, huh? I dunno whatcha gonna do, zacktly, but promise me ya won' -- um -- I dunno -- get arrested a' nut'n, will ya?" "I like t'at!" snorts Sally. "I neveh been arrested a day in my life! Not a day in my life!" "Well, remembeh las' summeh, whennat cop come 'roun' wantin' to know who was it kep' t'rowin radios outta windeh?" "Yeah, but I neveh got arrested!" "Annat time we went ta Boston..." "I neveh got arrested!" "An'nat time t'ey sen' ya t'at letteh sayin' not ta call Larry MacPhail no moeh..." "I NEVEH GOT ARRESTED!")

In Joe's defense, one could argue it runs in the blood with her brother and all, but Joe was smart not to point that out while Sally was on a roll. I assume Sally had the scissors out and added to her collection of Petey pics?

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(8).jpg

("Twirl spaghetti?" In the back of a car???)

Depending on who says it and in what context, every phrase can become a metaphor for sex.

I guess we'll never learn what happened to Sparky.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__May_14__1942_(9).jpg

(A little sciatica maybe, but he really doesn't look all that gimpy to me.)

If you do have some posture and limping issues, perhaps calling more attention to yourself by buying the loudest suit ever sold isn't the way to go.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_.jpg

Get the picture first, then write the story around it.

It's going to be very interesting to see the defense try to hang the murder rap on the uncle who tried to sell the diamond. That's the best pic we've seen of Miss Webb so far.

So with the Depression just ending and the War causing everyone to cut back, NYC had an extra $5000 (that ~$90,000 today) to import Tulips from Holland? My Dad would have let me serve the sentence.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(2).jpg

52nd between 5th and 6th still has a sign calling it "Swing Street," or it did the last time I was up that way - even though it's been a long time since 52nd Street actually swung. Leon and Eddie, where are you?

From a purely aesthetic perspective, upper Park Avenue (north of 60th) gets my vote as the prettiest street in the City.

I haven't looked for it recently, but the "Swing" sign was still there the last time I looked. There are a surprising number of those "name" signs on streets all over the city. To appreciate what that stretch of 52nd Street looked like in the day, there is a scene in "Sweet Smell of Success" where Curtis and Lancaster leave the 21 Club and spend some time on 52nd between 5th and 6th.

From the movie:
MV5BNDM5OGNkOTAtYzcyYi00YzUzLWEwMTEtMzJmNjZlZmQ4NmFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(3).jpg

C'mon, Punj -- Chuckie might buy that line, but we were there with you in that cave, remember?

No kidding, he was crying like a baby - Annie had to buck him up.

Daily_News_Thu__May_14__1942_(5).jpg

"PS: Your remark that I was "welshing on the deal" was ethnically offensive."

Before income tax, which I doubt Andy has any intention of paying, that $50,000 is worth ~$900,000 today. That should change Andy and Min's life.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a souvenir "lucky coin" handed out by Leon and Eddies, a copper piece about the size of a half-dollar, with the sillhouettes of Leon and Eddie thumbing their noses at each other, over the slogan "Always The Hottest Show In Town!" The proprietors of the Famous Door might dispute that, but they were always in the running.

I admire Petey very much for the way he's handling being traded away. He could just as easily be popping off in the papers like Phelps and Hamlin, but he keeps his mouth shut and goes out there and plays the game on the field to win. That's the mark of a real ballplayer.

Petey will be elected to the Brooklyn Dodgers Hall of Fame in 1996, and I have not the slightest doubt that 83-year-old Sally, fiesty as ever, will be there for the ceremonies. "Mother, please, they're all looking at you," "Lett'm look! YAAAA PETEY! R'MEMBER A'T DAY AT PROSPECK PAWK STATION? YAWR A GENNLEMAN PETEY A GENNLEMAN!" "Dad, can't you do ANYTHING?" "Huh? Nut'n. Jus' nut'n."

Plot twist: Tiny Tim there is faking being sick, and as soon as Sis leaves he jumps out of bed and goes out to run betting slips.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_.jpg

("Wait, you're serious? Rationing means we don't get all the gas we want? I thought that was a publicity stunt!")

Half the nation's men between the ages of 20 and 65 will either be in uniform or in essential war work by January 1, 1943, it was projected today by Government manpower officials. The figures assume that the current program of moving workers out of nonessential jobs into war work -- now proceeding at the rate of 28,000 workers per day -- continues at that pace toward reaching a goal of 10,500,000. The shift will leave only a few million of the adult male population in non-essential activities, and a great portion of those will be those ineligible for uniformed service or war jobs. The shifts also mean that hundreds of thousands more women will be moved into the workforce, and that workers can expect rigid Government control over their employment, with Federal production authorities expected to receive the power to "freeze" workers in essential jobs for which they are best fitted for the duration.

New York Young Republican Clubs, following the lead of Wendell Willkie, have warned potential GOP candidates for the fall election that they will receive no support unless they take a firm stand in favor of "the all important question of the United States taking international responsibility, not only in drafting the peace but in maintaining the peace in years to come." Mr. Willkie inaugurated the campaign by sending a letter calling for a strong internationlist plank in the 1942 party platform to Ralph E. Becker, retiring president of the Association of Young Republican Clubs. Edward Wright, candidate for president of the Young Republican Clubs on the so-called "war ticket" singled out for opposition Rep. Hamilton Fish, a leader of the isolationist bloc before Pearl Harbor, calling him "a symbol and a rallying point for the forces of doubt and division."

Dodger heroes Chuck Dressen, Dixie Walker and Freddie FItzsimmons will join District Tax Supervisor Arthur Soden on Sunday in addressing Communion breakfasts of the Holy Name Societies of the R. C. Churches of the Fourteen Holy Martyrs and Our Lady Help of Christians, to be held at Lohr & Schaynes Tavern, 1030 Gates Avenue, and in the Our Lady of Help church auditorium.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_.jpg

(Can't tell the players without a scorecard!)

Already in Brooklyn's doghouse for his objections to a speedy completion of the Culver Line-8th Avenue subway, Bronx Councilman Joseph E. Kinsley has now moved into a de luxe canine residence in the backyard of Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, following a heated exchange during a City Council Finance Committee hearing which ended with the Parks Commissioner storming out. Mr. Moses had come before the committee, accompanied by three aides, to answer questions concerning the use of city-owned cars, and charged that a question propounded on the matter by Councilman Kinsley was "insulting." "Ask him anything," said Kinsley, "and it will take a week to get an answer!" Banging his fist on the table and rising from his chair, the Parks Commissioner warned the committee that "if there are any more cracks like that, I am going to walk out of here with my staff! We don't have to take insults from you or anyone else!" "It's all right with me," rejoined Kinsley, as the Commissioner and his aides stalked out of the room. "They might just as well take any inmate from an insane asylum," growled Moses to reporters outside the meeting room, "and make him chairman to conduct that hearing!"

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(1).jpg

(Oh, and none of these guys have any gas.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(2).jpg

(And don't believe any who say different, that's exactly how every performer wants to go.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(3).jpg

("Oh, wait -- YOU'RE the air raid warden. Didn't recognize you without your armband on.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(4).jpg

("Whas'sis awl about?" yells Joe, as he storms into the 71st Precinct station on Empire Boulevard, just short of 6 in the morning. "In'neah, bud," sighs the desk sergeant, without looking up from his paperwork. "'T'NOIVE 'A 'TESE PEOPLE!" shouts Sally, as Joe enters the interrogation room. "T' absoloute NOIVE!" "Ya got arrested," groans Joe. "I AST ya not ta get arrested! What happened? Ya run onna field? Ya pulla Ge'mano? Who'ja tackle -- Leo? Ya din' tackle Leo!" "I got my pockabook picked!" bellows Sally. "Onna trolley, onna subway, I dunno wheah, but I getta t'bawlgame an' I ain' got my ticket an' I ain' got my billfol'!" "T'ey can't arrest ya f'tat!" protests Joe. "So I run alla way t' Ma's house. Six blocks I run, allaway t' Midwood Street! An' she ain' HOME. She musta took Leonora out f'a wawk a'sump'n! So I run allaway back ta' Ebbets Feel! Six blocks I run! Allaway t'Ebbets Feel! An' I see ti's guy stanin', an' I sez 'hey misteh, c'n ya loan me $1.10 f'a ticket!' An' he sez -- see I'm awl red-faced f'm runnin' --an' he sez "go wan home, lady, an' sleep it off!' T' NOIVE a't'at guy! So I sez, 'lissen bud, I ain' gotta take'at, an' I cracks 'im one acrost'a beezeh! An'nen'is cop comes oveh, an' sticks 'is face innit, an' I says, well, I sez 'shove off ya dumb flathead fatfoot!' "Ya mean 'ya dumb fathead flatfoot?'" "Whatteveh! An' he says 'awright, lady 'at's enough outa you," an he hauls me in f'VAGRANCY! VAGRANCY! I ASK YA! An'ney tell me I c'n make one phone cawl, an' I know t'ey don' like I should cawl you at woik, an' I know Ma ain' home, so I cawl Larry MacPhail! Anya know what he done? HE HANGS UP ON ME! T'bum! HANGS UP ON ME!" "Awright," interrupts the sergeant, poking his head in the door. "Getcha t'ings, y'c'n go. Y'mutteh's heah. She brung ya billfol'. Sez ya left it on t'kitchen table a'sump'n. We ain' gonna hol' ya. Go home, awredy." "I'm gonna write a letteh t'Valentine, I'm gonna do," snaps Sally, gathering her dignity. "An' ta MacPhail!" "Yeah," nods Joe. "Atsa good ideeh. A letteh." "Hey," says Sally. "You t'ink I c'n get a ticket f't game today?")

Dodger boss Larry MacPhail will be the guest star on Bill Stern's Sports Newsreel program on May 23rd at 10pm over WEAF. Mr. MacPhail is expected to use his air time to sneer at the Giants.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(5).jpg

(Sparky?? Is that you??)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(6).jpg

(Magistrate Solomon, is that you?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(7).jpg

(Since when has "please I'll handle this" ever been the right thing to say to Leona?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(8).jpg

("Smith and Jones! I thought we could trust them! They gave us their names and everything!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_.jpg

"All the pictures they took!" growls Mrs. Vera Webb. "And they had to use THAT one!" Oh, and "Mrs. Shirley Gurley?" Gawdawmighty.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(2).jpg

Now just a minute. Bluebird, denoted here by the B-prefix on the record numbers, was Victor's low-priced label, and sold everywhere for 35 cents. So -- um -- Davega seems to be missing the point. Anyway, the best thing here is Dorsey's "How About You?," and Shep Fields' "Jersey Bounce" is pretty good too.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(3).jpg

I want to see Punj fit into that car.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(4).jpg

You know who I bet loves this story? Elaine Barrie I bet loves this story.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(5).jpg

Oh, Min.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(6).jpg

"It must be so difficult for you, having to compete with Mr. Kaltenborn."

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(7).jpg

Ew.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(8).jpg

Hey kid, wanna live to be seven?

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(9).jpg

Blonde, kind-hearted, reacts violently to the mention of Covina? LANA, IS THAT YOU???

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(10).jpg

That pamphlet really does the job.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_.jpg

(Can't tell the players without a scorecard!)

No kidding, I'm all for one of those handy-dandy charts the News does so well.

It's funny how both papers have decided to cover this story as "the murder trial of Miss Webb and 'two other defendants'." Being a pretty young woman cuts both ways.

Already in Brooklyn's doghouse for his objections to a speedy completion of the Culver Line-8th Avenue subway, Bronx Councilman Joseph E. Kinsley has now moved into a de luxe canine residence in the backyard of Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, following a heated exchange during a City Council Finance Committee hearing which ended with the Parks Commissioner storming out. Mr. Moses had come before the committee, accompanied by three aides, to answer questions concerning the use of city-owned cars, and charged that a question propounded on the matter by Councilman Kinsley was "insulting." "Ask him anything," said Kinsley, "and it will take a week to get an answer!" Banging his fist on the table and rising from his chair, the Parks Commissioner warned the committee that "if there are any more cracks like that, I am going to walk out of here with my staff! We don't have to take insults from you or anyone else!" "It's all right with me," rejoined Kinsley, as the Commissioner and his aides stalked out of the room. "They might just as well take any inmate from an insane asylum," growled Moses to reporters outside the meeting room, "and make him chairman to conduct that hearing!"

Bloodsport.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(4).jpg

("Whas'sis awl about?" yells Joe, as he storms into the 71st Precinct station on Empire Boulevard, just short of 6 in the morning. "In'neah, bud," sighs the desk sergeant, without looking up from his paperwork. "'T'NOIVE 'A 'TESE PEOPLE!" shouts Sally, as Joe enters the interrogation room. "T' absoloute NOIVE!" "Ya got arrested," groans Joe. "I AST ya not ta get arrested! What happened? Ya run onna field? Ya pulla Germano? Who'ja tackle -- Leo? Ya din' tackle Leo!" "I got my pockabook picked!" bellows Sally. "Onna trolley, onna subway, I dunno wheah, but I getta t'bawlgame an' I ain' got my ticket an' I ain' got my billfol'!" "T'ey can't arrest ya f'tat!" protests Joe. "So I run alla way t' Ma's house. Six blocks I run, allaway t' Midwood Street! An' she ain' HOME. She musta took Leonora out f'a wawk a'sump'n! So I run allaway back ta' Ebbets Feel! Six blocks I run! Allaway t'Ebbets Feel! An' I see ti's guy stanin', an' I sez 'hey misteh, c'n ya loan me $1.10 f'a ticket!' An' he sez -- see I'm awl red-faced f'm runnin' --an' he sez "go wan home, lady, an' sleep it off!' T' NOIVE a't'at guy! So I sez, 'lissen bud, I ain' gotta take'at, an' I cracks 'im one acrost'a beezeh! An'nen'is cop comes oveh, an' sticks 'is face innit, an' I says, well, I sez 'shove off ya dumb flathead fatfoot!' "Ya mean 'ya dumb fathead flatfoot?'" "Whatteveh! An' he says 'awright, lady 'at's enough outa you," an he hauls me in f'VAGRANCY! VAGRANCY! I ASK YA! An'ney tell me I c'n make one phone cawl, an' I know t'ey don' like I should cawl you at woik, an' I know Ma ain' home, so I cawl Larry MacPhail! Anya know what he done? HE HANGS UP ON ME! T'bum! HANGS UP ON ME!" "Awright," interrupts the sergeant, poking his head in the door. "Getcha t'ings, y'c'n go. Y'mutteh's heah. She brung ya billfol'. Sez ya left it on t'kitchen table a'sump'n. We ain' gonna hol' ya. Go home, awredy." "I'm gonna write a letteh t'Valentine, I'm gonna do," snaps Sally, gathering her dignity. "An' ta MacPhail!" "Yeah," nods Joe. "Atsa good ideeh. A letteh." "Hey," says Sally. "You t'ink I c'n get a ticket f't game today?")

A Sally and Joe tour de force, well done Lizzie. I love that she called MacPhail and that he hung up on her. Also perfect that she had left the billfold at her mom's. Poor Joe, he married well, but not easy.

Good thing Fitz does publicity stuff or, otherwise, we'd never hear his name this season.

Dodger boss Larry MacPhail will be the guest star on Bill Stern's Sports Newsreel program on May 23rd at 10pm over WEAF. Mr. MacPhail is expected to use his air time to sneer at the Giants.

From the show's transcript: "You wouldn't believe some of the calls I get at the office. A week or so ago, I got a call from some crazy woman in jail asking me to, not only come down and bail or out, but to bring her a ticket for the game that day. And as I was hanging up, she started haranguing me about Coscarart. God love our fans, but we got some real nuts in this city."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Fri__May_15__1942_(5).jpg

(Sparky?? Is that you??)

The guy's been in jail for years and she's in tears over what he did and what her boyfriend will think about it; I believe we must interpret the word "kiss" as in "You had no right to kiss me" euphemistically.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_.jpg

"All the pictures they took!" growls Mrs. Vera Webb. "And they had to use THAT one!" Oh, and "Mrs. Shirley Gurley?" Gawdawmighty.

Mrs. Gurley had to pause on that one before agreeing to marry.

"...plumpish Betty O'Sullivan..." Well, at least it wasn't another crack about Miss Webb's appearance.

It's not hard to see the root cause of the problem in the Weber marriage.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(2).jpg

Now just a minute. Bluebird, denoted here by the B-prefix on the record numbers, was Victor's low-priced label, and sold everywhere for 35 cents. So -- um -- Davega seems to be missing the point. Anyway, the best thing here is Dorsey's "How About You?," and Shep Fields' "Jersey Bounce" is pretty good too.

You see the same game played today. A company builds a reputation as a low-priced competitor and then sneaks some not-competitively-priced items onto its shelf (or website) hoping some people will buy them without checking away as they just assume that everything in the store (or on the site) is competitively priced.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(3).jpg

I want to see Punj fit into that car.

Just take the kid with you. Sure, she'll ask a bunch of annoying questions, but we already know she's got more grit than the old man and is smart at figuring things out on the fly. Heck, leave the old man home and just take her.

Daily_News_Fri__May_15__1942_(5).jpg

Oh, Min.

"...since I'm the guy who made the money, I am the one who knows how to handle it the best." Many a successful person has lost their nest egg with this belief.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_.jpg

("Are you now, or have you ever been, the holder of an X card?")

The restoration of trolley lines serving Bushwick is under consideration, with the City Council Committee on City Affairs expected to vote on a resolution that would bring back the Putnam Avenue and Gates Avenue lines. The resolution, introduced by Councilman Anthony J. Digiovanna, notes that the present shortages of gasoline and rubber may force discontinuation of bus service on those routes, and further asserts that the bus service as now operating causes "congestion, delay, and inconvenience" that did not exist when the trolley lines operated. The 28th Ward Taxpayers Association, headed by Jared J. Chambers was cited by Councilman Digiovanna as a major community force in support of the return of trolley service.

Stories of military adventures in the Pacific told to students at the new Fountain Avenue Vocational High School by a 19-year-old in the uniform of an Army lieutenant seemed to "improve with each retelling," leading to the arrest of William C. Doll of 101 Weldon Street on a charge of impersonating an Army officer. A detective from the Miller Avenue station was summoned to the school by a teacher suspicious of the "young lieutenant's" tales, and when brought before Magistrate Abner C. Surpless in Brooklyn-Queens Night Court, Doll confessed that he had not, in fact, just returned home from the Pacific, but rather, he had just returned home from the Coxsackie reformatory, where he had served a term for "a minor offense." His parents told police their son had been "very anxious to join the Army" since his release.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(1).jpg

(The transit question alone would seem to be enough of a deal-breaker. What becomes of the Brooklyn side of the BMT?)

A new organization called "The Citizens' Committee to Reopen the Flynn Case" has added its voice to those calling on Governor Herbert Lehman to reopen the probe into the use of city-owned Belgian paving blocks at the estate of Democratic National Committee chairman Edward J. Flynn. The new group wired the Governor yesterday calling his attention to a statement by a member of the Bronx Grand Jury charging that District Attorney Samuel J. Foley gave the panel "legal advice" that "precluded serious consideration of an indictment."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_.jpg

(1939: "Steinbeck's a Communist!" 1942: "Steinbeck's a Nazi!" Bookburners don't need a reason, it's always the season...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(1).jpg

(Wait a few, kid. They'll get to you eventually.)

A seven year old boy lost his left hand last night when he was struck down by a Franklin Avenue trolley. Anthony DiBenedetto of 629 Myrtle Avenue was crossing the tracks at Franklin and Myrtle, and failed to see the oncoming car until it was too late. He was taken to Cumberland Hospital, where doctors were unable to save the mangled hand, and was also treated for a skull fracture. Motorman Leonard Belvere of the Bronx was questioned by police, but not charged.

The one-time King of the Strikebreakers faces up to three years in prison for operating a detective agency without a license. Pearl L. Berghoff, who, in 1920, was paid over $712,000 to break a strike against the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company, is said to have earned a total of over $17,000,000 since 1907 by hiring out his strong-arm services to companies beset by labor troubles.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(2).jpg

("Well, ya din' get arrested," sighs Joe. "At leas'at's sump'n." "Petey," declares Sally, with an immense grin, "went t'ree f' foueh!" "What'dja do?" inquires Joe. "Petey," replies Sally, her grin spreading, "went t'ree f'foueh wit' a two-baggeh, yet!" "What'dja do?" squints Joe. "Petey," responds Sally, her grin breaking into a giggle, "wen' t'ree f'foueh, wit' a two-baggeh, yet, an' WAVED TA' ME!" "What'dja do," eyerolls Joe. "Hey, whassat stickin' outa ya pockabook onna table'eah? A balloon -- wit' PETEY wrote on it?" "Petey wen' t'ree f'foueh, with a two-baggeh, yet, an' waved ta me an' yelled KEEP 'M FLYIN!'" "Well," sighs Joe. "At least ya din' get arrested.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(3).jpg

(The World Theatre, on 49th Street in Manhattan, where "Native Land" is showing, had gone thru several names and programming philosophies before it became a prominent showcase for foreign films and political documentaries in 1936 -- a progenitor of the modern-day "indie house." But that business will eventually wither and die, and in 1972, the World will take on yet another new policy -- becoming, for a brief, sad time, one of the busiest porn theatres in the city.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(2).jpg

(Mr. Stamm's mastery of proportion and the human figure rivals that of Mr. Marsh. Unless thug-boy really does have a pencil-head.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(3).jpg

("Me? Just a nervous habit, your majesty.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(4).jpg

("I resent that!" shouts Leona, as she puts down her knitting and rises slowly from her rocking chair.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__May_16__1942_(5).jpg

("Don't look now, Dan, but a hunchback in a loud check suit is watching us from behind the column. Look how his butt sticks out!" "Ha, Irwin, you're one to talk!")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko