Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Feb_17__1943_.jpg

("Of courrrse, daughter," declares Ma Sweeney, "y'may stay aas long as ye want., it's only..." "Only what?" sighs Sally, as she releases Stella the Cat from her bag, and Joe wrestles the rest of the bags up the stairs. "Well, daughter," Ma continues, "I merely suggest thot aafter Joseph goes to work tonight thot you and little Leonora go out to a picture show. A foine film playin' tonight at the Patio, there is. All aboot poirates, with Toirone Power in it, a very good picture indeed." Sally twists her face into a gag. "Meh," she snorts. "Tyrone Poweh. Look, Ma, we're awl tiehed, an' if it's awla same t'you we'd jus' like to toin in oily t'night." "Well, ye see," sighs Ma, "it's loike this then. I have a little gaatherin' here in th' place, you know, ev'ry Wednesday noite aafter the store closes, just me an' -- ahhh -- some of the ladies f'm around the th' neighborhood, we -- ah -- woork on our tattin' an' our embroidery an' all that." "Aw," shrugs Sally, "we c'n sleep t'rough t'at." "Wellll, daughter, ye see, soometimes t'ladies get a bit excited about -- well, ye know, a stitch done especially foine. Ye understand. Yes, indeed, daughter. Toirone Power. An' some other picture too, a double feature it is." "All right," sighs Sally, too tired to argue. "Tyrone Poweh." "Ahhh, ye might aafter the show, stop off forr a snack or a saandwich. The Bickford's down Flaaatbush Avenue is open late." "Bickfe'ds? Y'mean t' one acrost f'm Erasmus? At's nine blocks an' back! I'd rat'teh jus' come home an' go t'bed." "Ah, thaat's the problem, daughter, ye see, all the ladies will -- ah -- haave their cooats on ye' bed. They haave those delicious cakes at Bickford's now. You'll have a lovvely evenin', ye' will." "I s'pose." "Aand bring me back soom of those doughnuts, will ye now? Thaat's a good girl.")

A double feature followed by going out for cake out is a long evening with a two year old. I assume Ma Sweeney slipped her daughter $2 to comfortably cover the evening's costs as I'm sure it will be a drop in a bucket compared to the night's take, umm, "embroidery work."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Feb_17__1943_(1).jpg

(An Assistant Corporation Counsel, like an elephant, never forgets.)

Davenport was being disingenuous right from the start and deserved to get called out on it.

An overheated boiler on the top floor of a Manhattan dance hall exploded last night, tearing off part of the roof of the three story building, but none of the 75 dancers present in the ballroom were seriously hurt. A chunk of the boiler from the building at 88 Columbus Avenue was found several hundred yards from the scene, and a piece of the building's wall smashed thru the plate glass window of a Bickford's restaurant, narrowly missing several customers. Windows were reported shattered for hundreds of feet along Broadway. Few people were about at the late hour, and police say that fact prevented serious injuries or loss of life.

Why would a dance hall even have enough of a fuel allotment to overheat its boiler?

And how does Ma Sweeney feel now about exiling her daughter and granddaughter to a Bickford's?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Feb_17__1943_(4).jpg

("Um," whispers John McDonald to his new secretary as he looks around his new office, "have there been any -- uh -- messages?" "Non, monsieur," replies the secretary. "That is to say, no sir." "No telegrams?" "Non." "No telephone calls? No calls from a man with a -- loud, shouting voice? Or another man who sounds -- well, uh --," and here Mr. McDonald makes a tippling motion with his right hand and staggers in a small circle around the carpet. "Non, monsieur." Mr. McDonald exhales a deep sigh, the sigh of the just. "There is, sir, however, how you say, le coils, a parcel, has arrived. From the Brooklyn." "A parcel," stammers Mr. McDonald, the color draining from his features. He opens the door to his private office to see a large wooden crate sitting on the floor before his desk. "Did you open..."
"Non, monsieur. Here is le conaissement -- the bill of the lading. You see, it contains, la tete d'orignal, le caribou...the, how you say, head of the moose. Monsieur? Monsieur???")

That's perfect.

Separately, I am surprised Durocher's being drafted as my "general" knowledge from all that I've read over the years was that few if any 38 year olds were drafted in the US. Enlisted, sure, but drafted?

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_17__1943_(1).jpg

Won't *this* be interesting.

It's looking like George Cukor was smart to go in as a private.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_17__1943_(7).jpg

Forty years from now, Wilmer will be the guy who never shuts up about being a veteran.

Assuming he isn't a casualty of friendly fire, as I could see that happening.

Daily_News_Wed__Feb_17__1943_(8).jpg

Ah yes, Not-Sergeant Lee. Whatever became of him?

I have to admit, I kinda forgot that Terry was still floating out there somewhere.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And just to get a glimpse of the lay of the land, this is the building where Ma Sweeney and her friends will gather. Looking north along Rogers Avenue toward the corner of Midwood Street, Lieb's Candy Store is on the ground floor, between the Flatbush Pharmacy and an abandoned tailor shop, and Ma occupies the second floor apartment. Is that Uncle Frank upstairs? Is he telling you to g'wan with the camera, before you find trouble?

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 17-03-08 1940s NYC Street photos of every building in New York City i...png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And continuing our tour of Joe and Sally's world, here's their actual building on 63rd Street, off 18th Avenue, straddling the Bensonhurst-Mapleton line. Their entry is the stoop being approached by the woman in black, but their third-floor apartment overlooks the courtyard behind the building, not the street.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 18-50-28 1940s NYC Street photos of every building in New York City i...png

Across 63rd Street at the corner of 18th is Schreibstein's, center of neighborhood life, and nearest available telephone. Business is good, between sandwiches, sodas, candy, newspapers, and other things.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 18-51-34 1940s NYC Street photos of every building in New York City i...png

And continuing our tour of Joe and Sally's world, here's their actual building on 63rd Street, off 18th Avenue, straddling the Bensonhurst-Mapleton line. Their entry is the stoop being approached by the woman in black, but their third-floor apartment overlooks the courtyard behind the building, not the street.

View attachment 490487

Across 63rd Street at the corner of 18th is Schreibstein's, center of neighborhood life, and nearest available telephone. Business is good, between sandwiches, sodas, candy, newspapers, and other things.

View attachment 490488

When I moved to the city in the late '80s, it was apartment buildings like Joe and Sally's, in Brooklyn and Manhattan, where kids like me, just out of college, took apartments as they were the most affordable being the most run down and, usually, in the least-desirable neighborhoods. They often still had exposed wires running up to their overhead lights, rattling radiators, windows in the bathroom with chicken wire in them, separate faucets for hot and cold water in the sinks and on and on, but they were also cool in their high-ceilings, big-windows, well-worn-hard-wood-floors, nineteen-layers-of-paint and solid-as-all-heck way. And the few appliances in them, usually dated from the 1940s-1960s.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_.jpg

("Heh," hehs Joe, as Sally tosses a small white ball on the floor and watches Stella the Cat bat it across the kitchen. "Whassat, anyways?" he asks. "A ping powng bawl? I din' know t'eah was a ping powng table aroun' heeh. Wheahzit, downa basemen'?" "Sommthin' like that," replies Ma. "Eat yarr ootmeal b'fore it gets cold now." "Hey," heys Joe. "It's got somep'n' wrote on it. Lemme see t'at. Says heeh 'B-17.'" Joe's eyes narrow as he asks "whassat s'posta mean?" "Ah," replies Ma. "It's -- well -- ah --what it is is a tooken fr'm th' neighborhood foondraisin' drive. To buy a bomber. That's right. A bomber. A B-17. One of those what ye call a Flyin Foortress." "Yeah, Joe," adds Sally, "you seen about t'at inna Eagle? Ev'ry neighbehood is raisin' money t'buy a bombeh to go afteh Hitleh, an' on it will say t'name of t'neighbehood t'at bought it. It's a great t'ing, Ma, t'atcha in onnit, "Yeah," agrees Joe. "Say, lissen, I'll kick in six bits f't'at. Keep 'em flyin' f'good ol' Pigtown." "EAST FLATBUSH!" echo Sally and Ma.)

Warning that the Federal price control agency is in danger of being hamstrung by pending legislation in Congress, Price Administrator Prentiss Brown today urged consumers to rally to the defense of the OPA, and thus prevent runaway inflation. Issuing his plea at a press conference this morning at the OPA offices in the Empire State Building, Brown stressed that "it is important for consumers to get behind the OPA. The consumers have never been organized, but the OPA has been greatly assisted by some labor unions and the League of Women Voters. The consumer public has got to get behind the President to continue the fight against inflation. We have got to hold in line existing wages and prices." Brown cited as the chief threat in the present situation the pending Pace bill, which proposes to require that farm labor costs be figured into the parity price for all farm products. If adopted, he warned, this measure would boost food prices to such an extent that forced inflation would follow. He also contended that the OPA is being "pressured from all sides" on the wage front, especially by "enemies in Congress and certain labor leaders in the bituminous coal fields." The latter remark was an evident thrust at United Mine Workers president John L. Lewis, who has demanded an across the board $2 a day wage increase for miners under his jurisdiction.

The OPA today relaxed gasoline rationing restrictions to allow motorists to obtain as much fuel as necessary to travel to and from their places of employment. Under the revised rules, workers with no other means of reaching their jobs will be allowed to receive "C" books, if the supplemental "B" ration is insufficient to meet their requirements, on the understanding that the additional ration may be used only for travel to and from their place of employment. The OPA stressed that the new regulation applies only to those motorists who are suffering "undue hardship."

The road of life of ex-crime king Louis "Lepke" Buchalter, along which dead men served as milestones, neared its end today, with his execution in the electric chair likely within six weeks. Assistant District Attorneys Solomon Klein and Burton Turkus today drew up papers to compel Federal authorities to turn Buchalter, now serving a term at Leavenworth Prison in Kansas on a narcotics conviction, over to New York State juristidiction. Buchalter was found guilty of murder in the 1936 slaying of Brownsville candy store operator Joseph Rosen, who was killed by operatives of the Brooklyn Murder For Money Gang in order to prevent him from telling what he knew of Buchalter's operation to then-Manhattan District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey. Convicted along with Buchalter were gunmen Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss and Louis Capone, both of whom are already awaiting execution at the Sing Sing death house. Once Buchalter has been surrendered by Federal authorities to New York, he will join them there. The last hope for the three to escape death in the electric chair is an appeal for clemency to now-Governor Dewey.

Reports from Bombay, India state that Mohandas K. Gandhi is growing "steadily weaker" as his fast protesting his current internment for opposing British rule entered its ninth day today. The leader of the Indian Nationalist movement was reported "neither refreshed nor mentally alert" this morning, despite nine hours of sleep, with evidence of progressive euremia and his heart action is "feebler."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(1).jpg

(And remember boys, "educating the public" doesn't mean shooting out lights.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(2).jpg

("No, wait, that's my bookie.")

The Axis, pummeled by recent military defeats, is reported planning a propaganda drive to "dangle the specter of Communism" before America and Britain in an effort to secure a negotiated peace. European observers reported today that the Nazi propaganda machine is embarking on its most concerted effort yet to convince Americans and the British that a Soviet victory over Germany will result in "the Bolshevization of Europe, and perhaps the entire world." Walter Brell, chief of the Austria bureau of the official German news agency DNB, was quoted as "spreading word that 'the Anglo-Saxon nations would do well to reach a gentlemen's understanding with Germany before it is too late to halt the Soviet menace.'" Itally followed dutifully in the footsteps of its German masters, with Fascist editor Virginio Gayda declaring that "a compromise peace with the United States and Great Britain is possible, but never with the Soviets."

Dodger favorite Freddie Fitzsimmons is making the rounds of neighborhood buy-a-bomber campaigns. The stout pitcher-coach appeared last night before a meeting of the the Friendly Neighbors of Kings Bay at the Chateau d'Or, Ocean Avenue and Avenue U, to tell members to "keep right on buying bombers if you want the war to end soon." The Friendly Neighbors has set a quota for its campaign of $175,000 in bond sales.

The Eagle Editorialist gives strong endorsement to a new publication from the Office of War Information, entitled "The Negro and the War," pointing out that "much needs to be done to develop the great work already started" in abolishing racial bigotry, and that "that necessary work will be greatly aided by the wide diffusion of such facts as are contained" in the document, which points out that no people in the world have accomplished as much in so short a time, despite the harsh treatment and bigoted racial ignorance levied against them, as the American Negro.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(3).jpg

("Why we had to get up before sunrise to have enough time for all that food!")

Syndicated columnist and radio broadcaster Walter Winchell has been separated from active duty in the U. S. Navy, following political controversies with members of Congress over his remarks criticizing pre-war isolationists. Winchell, a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve, was returned to inactive status by Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox, who added "I have no intention of calling him back to active duty.

Postal Inspectors in Brooklyn are investigating a new racket preying on bereaved relatives of servicemen killed in the war. Two letters, signed with the same name and address are now in the hands of Chief Inspector James J. Doran, who says the letters, addressed to the families of men recently reported dead in published casualty lists, demand repayment of a $10 loan claimed to be owed by the deceased serviceman. Inspector Doran urges any other person receiving such a letter to call it to his attention immediately.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(4).jpg

(Of course Leo would choose the Marines. Don't they have the sharpest uniforms?)

"Yankee Doodle Dandy," high-stepping musical biography of the late George M. Cohan starring James Cagney, will start a run today in 35 neighborhood theatres of the RKO chain. The film ran eight months on Broadway at a $2 top, but will now be shown, uncut, thruout Broooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, Manhattan, and Westchester at popular prices.

Appearing on last week's Hobby Lobby program over WABC, Sid Ascher, president of the Society for the Prevention of Disparaging Remarks about Brooklyn, reported that our borough was slandered over the air 2623 times during 1942 -- a considerable drop from the 1941 figure of 6457 reported incidents.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(5).jpg

(You'd think Lionel Barrymore agreeing to appear in the comics would be a big story, but he might not want that kind of publicity.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(6).jpg

(Now you've done it! You'll get Scarlet in trouble with the OPA!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(7).jpg

("Sorry, we're all out of orange juice.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(8).jpg

(C'MON, CAT! THIS IS YOUR BIG CHANCE! DON'T LOOK SO BORED!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(9).jpg

(Allen Jenkins, on the other hand, will gladly do a walk-on anywhere.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_.jpg

"The Turk, Ali Ipar." Doesn't he show up in the fourth verse of "Abdul Abulbul Amir?"

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(1).jpg

An unsatisfying conclusion to one of our more disturbing cases. And just where *is* Seymour "Blue Jaw" McGoon?

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(2).jpg

"Coffee? Butter? Brisket? NOT A CHANCE BUDDIE"

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(3).jpg

THIS IS AS FAR AS I GO KID. BRING IN THE STUNT DOG.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(4).jpg

It always comes down to sewing buttons.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(5).jpg

Who would have thought "Gasoline Alley" would be the most realistic war comic of all?

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(6).jpg

"I'm not saluting. This stupid hat itches."

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(7).jpg

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. It's a big Army.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(8).jpg

In the real world, Plushie's photo would be pasted next to the cash register in every nightclub in town.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(9).jpg

"BAH. I wonder if Caniff is hiring?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Feb_18__1943_.jpg

("Heh," hehs Joe, as Sally tosses a small white ball on the floor and watches Stella the Cat bat it across the kitchen. "Whassat, anyways?" he asks. "A ping powng bawl? I din' know t'eah was a ping powng table aroun' heeh. Wheahzit, downa basemen'?" "Sommthin' like that," replies Ma. "Eat yarr ootmeal b'fore it gets cold now." "Hey," heys Joe. "It's got somep'n' wrote on it. Lemme see t'at. Says heeh 'B-17.'" Joe's eyes narrow as he asks "whassat s'posta mean?" "Ah," replies Ma. "It's -- well -- ah --what it is is a tooken fr'm th' neighborhood foondraisin' drive. To buy a bomber. That's right. A bomber. A B-17. One of those what ye call a Flyin Foortress." "Yeah, Joe," adds Sally, "you seen about t'at inna Eagle? Ev'ry neighbehood is raisin' money t'buy a bombeh to go afteh Hitleh, an' on it will say t'name of t'neighbehood t'at bought it. It's a great t'ing, Ma, t'atcha in onnit, "Yeah," agrees Joe. "Say, lissen, I'll kick in six bits f't'at. Keep 'em flyin' f'good ol' Pigtown." "EAST FLATBUSH!" echo Sally and Ma.)

Hmmhmmhmmhmmhmm. Joe has to have figured it out and is just biding his time or he realizes keeping quiet keeps the goodies from "Uncle" Frank flowing.

Tax cuts in New York State; that's another thing that's disappeared today.

Surprising to see such an honest admission of defeat in a war headline.

The Axis, pummeled by recent military defeats, is reported planning a propaganda drive to "dangle the specter of Communism" before America and Britain in an effort to secure a negotiated peace. European observers reported today that the Nazi propaganda machine is embarking on its most concerted effort yet to convince Americans and the British that a Soviet victory over Germany will result in "the Bolshevization of Europe, and perhaps the entire world." Walter Brell, chief of the Austria bureau of the official German news agency DNB, was quoted as "spreading word that 'the Anglo-Saxon nations would do well to reach a gentlemen's understanding with Germany before it is too late to halt the Soviet menace.'" Itally followed dutifully in the footsteps of its German masters, with Fascist editor Virginio Gayda declaring that "a compromise peace with the United States and Great Britain is possible, but never with the Soviets."

What does a war-time Hail Mary strategy look like?

That said, the concept wasn't wrong as the forty-five-plus-year-long Cold War proved, but it was too-late in the game in '43 for that strategy to work for Germany.

Dodger favorite Freddie Fitzsimmons is making the rounds of neighborhood buy-a-bomber campaigns. The stout pitcher-coach appeared last night before a meeting of the the Friendly Neighbors of Kings Bay at the Chateau d'Or, Ocean Avenue and Avenue U, to tell members to "keep right on buying bombers if you want the war to end soon." The Friendly Neighbors has set a quota for its campaign of $175,000 in bond sales.

Oddly, Freddie did not have a single pingpong ball with him with B-17 written on it as a giveaway for the campaign.

Postal Inspectors in Brooklyn are investigating a new racket preying on bereaved relatives of servicemen killed in the war. Two letters, signed with the same name and address are now in the hands of Chief Inspector James J. Doran, who says the letters, addressed to the families of men recently reported dead in published casualty lists, demand repayment of a $10 loan claimed to be owed by the deceased serviceman. Inspector Doran urges any other person receiving such a letter to call it to his attention immediately.

This is why hell needs to have more than one level.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_.jpg

"The Turk, Ali Ipar." Doesn't he show up in the fourth verse of "Abdul Abulbul Amir?"

Wonder if Mme. Chaing will mention Terry or Flip in one of her speeches. It's pretty impressive that she'll be speaking to both houses of Congress.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(3).jpg

THIS IS AS FAR AS I GO KID. BRING IN THE STUNT DOG.

Please, the great Nazi sub hunter tapped out after panel two and has been watching the action from a position safely behind the director ever since.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(6).jpg

"I'm not saluting. This stupid hat itches."

I can't help it, it does that on its own...oh, you mean my hand.

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_18__1943_(9).jpg

"BAH. I wonder if Caniff is hiring?"

Don't kid yourself girl, you'd take a role in "Hugh Striver" and be lucky to get it. Heck, Burma's doing "Dan Dunn" and you are no Burma.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_.jpg

("He-gi-ra," reads Joe. "Whassat?" Whassa he-gi-ra?" "It means," explains Sally, "uh.... t'kinda scram out'uva place 'cause t' heat's on. T'take it onna lam." "Ah," continues Joe. "Hey, t'at remines me. When I come home t'is mawrnin', it was t' funnies' t'ing. I see t'is guy out front, t'is lit'l rabbity-lookin' characteh wit' his coat colleh toined up an' all. An' he comes upta me, an'nee sez 'say bud, ya goin' up t'see t'ol' lady? Give 'eh t'is.' An'nen he gives me t'is env'lope, t'is t'ick env'lope. It's in my coat pocket. "An' I says, 'yeah, whateveh --but watch ya tone wit' t'at ol' lady stuff, t'at's me mutteh-n'-lawr ya tawkin' 'bout.' An'nen t'is lit'l rabbit guy, his face toins all white, an' he ki'na backs up an' sez 'oh, uh, sorry, bud, uh, sorry sir, I did'n' mean nut'n by it sir,' an' he keeps backin' up, an'nen he toins aroun' an' runs downa street. I guess y'c'd cawl'lat a he-gi-ra, huh?" Sally blinks, and then shakes her head. "Hones'ly, Joe," she chuckles, "t' t'ings you come up wit'.")

President Roosevelt said today that the goal of 7,500,000 enlisted men in the U. S. Army by the end of 1943 will not be changed -- and added that an additional goal beyond that number may be set for 1944. The President stated that the 7,500,000 figure was decided upon last August, and the goal for 1944 will likely be set sometime this fall -- but, he emphasized, he could not begin to guess what that new goal will be. The Army quota for this year also includes the addition of 700,000 new officers, bringing the Army to a total strength of 8,200,000 by years' end -- and our total Armed Forces to nearly 11,000,000 by the end of 1943. The President acknowledged concern, however, over opposition from farm bloc Congressmen to an Army of the proposed size. A number of rebellious Congressmen from the farm states have thrown their support to proposed legislation overhauling the Selective Service Act by deferring farm labor and putting fathers at the bottom of the draft list.

The Government is speeding up its program to release loyal West Coast Japanese-Americans from relocation centers in order to make them available for war work. Approximately 40,000 new workers are expected to be released to war jobs by the end of this year. Already about 2000 of the evacuees from the western exclusion zone have been placed in civilian employment, and registration of the remaining 106,000 is expected to provide data which will aid in determining their loyalty to this country.

In Seattle, Washington, one fireman was killed today and five others were overcome by gas released when fire broke out again at a meat processing plant where 28 persons were reported killed yesterday in the crash of a four-motored bomber. The five story plant of Frye & Company had smouldered since firemen put out the blaze resulting from that crash, but the fire erupted anew today in the basement, releasing refrigeration gas that overcame firemen attempting to retrieve bodies from the rubble. Twelve bodies had been recovered from the ruins of the factory and the wreckage of the plane before the fire broke out again. The bomber blew up in the air about a mile from the Boeing airport.

Mayor LaGuardia announced today that the Navy has loaned New York City 64,000 barrels of kerosene to meet the needs of low-rent tenants for heating and cooking fuel. The recent cold spell has hit kerosene users particularly hard with kerosene supplies in the city at a low ebb. Distribution of the fuel has already begun, but 4000 barrels will be held in reserve. The Navy has indicated to the Mayor that another 72,000 barrels have been set aside for use in a future fuel emergency.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(1).jpg

(Motorized cattle rustlers! Next Dan Dunn story CONFIRMED!)

The commander of the Brooklyn division of the City Patrol Corps declared today that, given the necessary men, he would try to establish patrol beats in the borough to protect against the increasing number of muggings and instances of the molestation of women in the streets. In response to an open letter sent to Mayor LaGuardia by Brooklyn Eagle women's editor Gertrude McAllister calling his attention to the fears felt by many women over the danger that they might be annoyed by goons as they travel about the city, Colonel John J. Kenney said that he would be glad to suggest to his commanding officer that additional patrols be established -- if he could recruit the necessary force. He noted that City Patrol Corps members have been patrolling seven nights a week as requested by the Police Department, but noted that their posts are fixed, and therefore not particularly useful in the search for muggers. "Our situation is further complicated," he explained, "by the fact that we have lost between 400 and 500 members to the draft and war plants." Recruitment for the Patrol Corps has fallen off since it was established last year, with new volunteers entering the Corps largely due to the persuasion of friends already serving.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(2).jpg

("Hmph!" snorts Butch. "Can't you do something about that moon?")

Three Queens motorists were permanently stripped of their A-cards for violations of OPA regulations, and four other persons from Queens, one from Brooklyn, and one from Garden City lost their gasoline rations for two months in decisions handed down by the New York District Office of the Office of Price Administration. Eleanor Della Corte of Forest Hills lost her A ration and her B ration was cancelled for allowing her brother to use her car to visit a friend, and for holding a B ration despite the reason for that ration no longer being valid. Jack A. Raymond of Forest Hills lost his A card for driving to visit a friend. Those persons whose rations were suspended were cited for driving their cars to attend theatrical performances, movies, or "the fights," or, in one case, for allowing a soldier on furlough to use his ration book to visit friends.

A report by Director J. Edgar Hoover of the Federal Bureau of Investigation today disclosed "an alarming breakdown" in the moral standards of American youth -- especially among teenage girls. The report states that fingerprint records for persons under the age of 21 booked for crimes during 1941 and 1942 show a dramatic increase in the arrests of minor girls, especially on charges of "prostitution and commercialized vice." Significant increases were also noted, Hoover said, in cases of teenage girls arrested for drunkenness and disorderly conduct. Arrests among young men also increased, despite large numbers of them now serving in the Armed Forces, with arrests for drunkenness, disorderly conduct, assault, and rape all sharply up in 1942. One official cited in the report warned that if something is not done to reverse this trend, within four years this country can expect to face "the worst crime wave in its history." Mr. Hoover blamed "a deplorable lack of parental guidance and discipline in many homes" for the situatioons described in the report, along with "a sense of wartime abandon" aided by the present economic boom.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(3).jpg

(All right, so why isn't there a Society For The Prevention of Disparaging Remarks About Sergeants?)

The New Jersey firm best known for building the Brooklyn Bridge has lost its Army-Navy "E" pennant for excellence in war production. The John A. Roebling's Sons Company of Trenton was ordered by military authorities to take down the pennant it was awarded last fall because it has fallen behind on its production quotas. Grievances between management and labor that led to several work stoppages are blamed for the lag in production. The Electric Appliance Company of Stanford, Connecticut has also had its pennant revoked for similar reasons.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(4).jpg

(Just putting it out there that low blood pressure might be seen as a serious disqualification for someone to serve as a pilot. Now, Dolph -- where's your glove?)

After fifteen years of nightly broadcasts, Amos 'n' Andy leave the air after tonight's episode at 7 PM over WABC. The adventures of the Harlem taxicab entrepreneurs will come to an end after Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll decided not to take their soup sponsor's offer of a weekly half hour program. The soup concern is reducing its advertising budget due to the present shortage of tin cans. Correll and Gosden have taken only one vacation since 1928, a short break in the summer of 1934, and may return to the air later this year for a new sponsor.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(5).jpg

(As long as Lionel's around there'll never be a ham shortage.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(6).jpg

(Hope you can swim, toots.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(7).jpg

(Cheer up there, Burms -- you only signed a six week contract. Right?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(8).jpg

(When you ASSUME you make an ASS of U and ME.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(9).jpg

("A taffy pull? GEE THAT'LL BE FUN!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_.jpg

"An eclipse!" thunders Butch. "Now that's what I call service. Can we get them to do it tonight?" Oh, and at the offices of the National Association of Manufacturers, cartons full of RICKENBACKER IN '44 buttons are already piling up in the hallway.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(1).jpg

Poor Mr. Chigger.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(2).jpg

Just how much do you know about peep shows, kid? Maybe Hoover is right.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(3).jpg

Sigh. At least she didn't say "yassuh, boss."

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(4).jpg

Wait'll you try to buy toys for a cat.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(5).jpg

Well, at least it'll be good for a laugh.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(6).jpg

Yeah, sure. Hey, isn't it about time for Pat Ryan to show up?

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(7).jpg

Yeee-haw!

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(9).jpg

Plushie is, in fact, despite his seediness, an actual Lord, a genuine Peer of the Realm, which suggests this whole thing could become an international incident. But probably not.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(10).jpg

Lana Lanigan says "you too, huh?"

View attachment 490849
("He-gi-ra," reads Joe. "Whassat?" Whassa he-gi-ra?" "It means," explains Sally, "uh.... t'kinda scram out'uva place 'cause t' heat's on. T'take it onna lam." "Ah," continues Joe. "Hey, t'at remines me. When I come home t'is mawrnin', it was t' funnies' t'ing. I see t'is guy out front, t'is lit'l rabbity-lookin' characteh wit' his coat colleh toined up an' all. An' he comes upta me, an'nee sez 'say bud, ya goin' up t'see t'ol' lady? Give 'eh t'is.' An'nen he gives me t'is env'lope, t'is t'ick env'lope. It's in my coat pocket. "An' I says, 'yeah, whateveh --but watch ya tone wit' t'at ol' lady stuff, t'at's me mutteh-n'-lawr ya tawkin' 'bout.' An'nen t'is lit'l rabbit guy, his face toins all white, an' he ki'na backs up an' sez 'oh, uh, sorry, bud, uh, sorry sir, I did'n' mean nut'n by it sir,' an' he keeps backin' up, an'nen he toins aroun' an' runs downa street. I guess y'c'd cawl'lat a he-gi-ra, huh?" Sally blinks, and then shakes her head. "Hones'ly, Joe," she chuckles, "t' t'ings you come up wit'.")

I'm thinking back on all those articles we read and I don't remember Ma Sweeney's name ever coming up in connection with Reles or Lepke, not that it should have, just thinking out loud.

Joe might not have put all the pieces together yet and I think he's doing it partly subconsciously, but he is playing a meta game with his wife and mother-in-law.

President Roosevelt said today that the goal of 7,500,000 enlisted men in the U. S. Army by the end of 1943 will not be changed -- and added that an additional goal beyond that number may be set for 1944. The President stated that the 7,500,000 figure was decided upon last August, and the goal for 1944 will likely be set sometime this fall -- but, he emphasized, he could not begin to guess what that new goal will be. The Army quota for this year also includes the addition of 700,000 new officers, bringing the Army to a total strength of 8,200,000 by years' end -- and our total Armed Forces to nearly 11,000,000 by the end of 1943. The President acknowledged concern, however, over opposition from farm bloc Congressmen to an Army of the proposed size. A number of rebellious Congressmen from the farm states have thrown their support to proposed legislation overhauling the Selective Service Act by deferring farm labor and putting fathers at the bottom of the draft list.

Does the officer count include all the free agents we meet on these pages who assign their own rank and purchases their own uniforms?

("Hmph!" snorts Butch. "Can't you do something about that moon?")

I know you're kidding, but the thought probably went through his hyperactive mind.

The New Jersey firm best known for building the Brooklyn Bridge has lost its Army-Navy "E" pennant for excellence in war production. The John A. Roebling's Sons Company of Trenton was ordered by military authorities to take down the pennant it was awarded last fall because it has fallen behind on its production quotas. Grievances between management and labor that led to several work stoppages are blamed for the lag in production. The Electric Appliance Company of Stanford, Connecticut has also had its pennant revoked for similar reasons.

The company's never been the same since old man Roebling died. Joking aside, it's a neat connect to history. The iconic stature of that bridge to NYC cannot be overstated. And the thing is, when you go to see it and walk it, it doesn't disappoint as its scale and aesthetic are still incredibly impressive, even in 2023.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(5).jpg

(As long as Lionel's around there'll never be a ham shortage.)

Good for her, she gets a 10 out of 10 for that answer.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(1).jpg

Poor Mr. Chigger.

It's a shame they didn't ask Lichty.

I was surprised, I expected, especially from the women, a unanimous vote against the toupee.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(3).jpg

Sigh. At least she didn't say "yassuh, boss."

Plus she stood her ground and came back with a derisive "big boy." Heck, he used a truncheon to take her out as he realized he wasn't bullying his way past her. Not a bad representation for 1943.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(7).jpg

Yeee-haw!

As you noted yesterday, most realistic war comicstrip of them all. What Caniff does is awesome, but it has a bit of the Indiana Jones to it; "Gasoline Alley" is the regular soldier's real world.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(9)-2.jpg

Plushie is, in fact, despite his seediness, an actual Lord, a genuine Peer of the Realm, which suggests this whole thing could become an international incident. But probably not.

Club Whoopanholler.

Daily_News_Fri__Feb_19__1943_(10).jpg

Lana Lanigan says "you too, huh?"

Take the upfront pain and swap now!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Definitely classic. I've a bit reluctance to deliberately chase a Second World War look however classic
due the tie-in. It's strong here. Still the draw is keen. Speaking, Flip is quite the cad. Taffy and he made a fuss
upon meeting, she later cooks the welcome home feast-compliments her kitchen skills, mentions marriage then dons
his Irvin jacket and walks. He's almost as worse as Harold. I thought it was a dinner-breakfast date.
Taffy might as well be a nun.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_.jpg

("I spoke to Francis this marrnin'," says Ma Sweeney as Joe prepares to leave for work. "Ahh, that is to say, Mr. Leary. He tells me his boys were installin' the coaaal grates at yar buildin' today, so ye shuld be aable t'go home t'morra." "Wowrn out oueh welcome, huh?" shrugs Joe. "Oh, t'at remines me, I met t'is fella t'ot'eh day, gimme t'is env'lope t'give ya. Funny lookin' customeh," he adds, bucking out his teeth and pulling at his ears. "Ahhh," replies Ma, glancing quickly at the envelope and slipping it into her apron. "Thaat would be Hops Gaffney. He does -- ah -- errands for me now that me boy Michael is off in the saarvice, you understand. Dear little Hops. He an' Michael used to worrrk on lotsa jobs togetherr." "I bet they did." "What?" "Nut'n." "Hops Gaffney," adds Sally in a sour tone. "I neveh could stan' him. He useta try an' tawk me up when we was kids, an' I couldn' take it. He awrways smelt like, I dunno, anti-freeze a'sump'n.")

Brooklyn's quota is $1,930,000 for the 1943 Red Cross War Fund Drive, which kicks off with a monster rally on Thursday March 1st at the Hotel St. George. Dodger broadcaster Red Barber, who has been appointed campaign chairman, will serve as master of ceremonies, introducing Metropolitan Opera star Marie Wilkins, who will sing The Star Spangled Banner, literary critic and moderator of radio's Information Please, Clifton Fadiman, who will be the principal speaker of the afternoon, and a dramatic sketch featuring Peggy Wood of Broadway's current Noel Coward success "Blithe Spirit." Actor Harold Gould will perform a recitation of "Forgotten Man." The rally will mark the official start of a drive to be marked by the largest house-to-house canvass ever attempted in the borough, with over 40,000 women fanning out into every neighborhood with the goal of ringing every doorbell at every home and apartment in Brooklyn.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(1).jpg

(Got that?)

Legislative leaders in Albany today assured state labor leaders that Captain Eddie Rickenbacker, First World War flying ace recently rescued from an ordeal at sea, was only invited to address the State Legislature next week on the basis of his war record, and not because of his political views. Capt. Rickenbacker's recent speeches on labor issues have caused much criticism, leading Assembly Speaker Oswald B. Heck (R-Schenectady) to emphasize that the legislative leadership "neither repudiate nor approve the views of Captain Rickenbacker. What he has to say on labor is his own personal business."

Finland is expected today to ask the United States to act as an intermediary in a negotiated separate peace with Russia. So far the Soviets have ignored Finnish peace feelers, and it was not believed that the USSR, riding the crest of great victories against Nazi forces, is in any mood to discuss a conditional peace with the Finns. A sign of the changing political tides in Finland is a recent easing of press censorship allowing the open discussion of peace.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(2).jpg

(*snif*)

Reader F. J. Worral writes in to denounce fellow reader John F. Knubel for his recent letter declaring that cats should be exterminated as a menace to victory gardens. "Be it said to our shame that 'practically every backyard and vacant lot is infested with alley cats' in a supposedly civilized country where there is an abundance of food. It is disgraceful that any living creature should starve on our streets, and the writer has befriended many such an unfortunate." He concludes by urging Mr. Knubel to adopt a less heathenish and more Christlike point of view toward all of God's creatures. "Let's feed and shelter these homeless strays and impose harsh fines on those who abandon them without mercy. It costs little to be kind, and we shall be amply repaid in the future."

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(3).jpg

("By the way, have you ever heard of Margie Hart?")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(4).jpg

(Going into spring training, the Phillies presently have only sixteen players listed on their major league roster. I wonder what positions Mr. Cox can play.)

There are many footprints and there are many handprints impressed in the concrete forecourt of the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood -- but now there's also a set of leg prints. Screen star Betty Grable, with the help of escorts from the Army, Navy, and Marines, this week impressed her famous limbs in a block of wet concrete, as publicity men from 20th Century-Fox nodded with enthusiasm.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(5).jpg
(Watch out, Mary, you might be his type!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(6).jpg

(Hence the expression, "cold storage.")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(7).jpg

(I wonder if "GHK from New Orleans" will be played by Captain Judas?)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(8).jpg

(SEE MR F. J. WORRAL, AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG BELIEVES IN THE BROTHERHOOD OF ALL CREATURES. EXCEPT FOR TRIX.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(9).jpg

("I'm not THAT kind of girl!")

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_.jpg

"Other men of my age, like Senator Reynolds, are marrying young girls..." Yeah, Gramps, you could choose a better role model than greasy old Buncombe Bob.

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(3).jpg

"Oh good," says Butch. "Material for my broadcast!"

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(1).jpg

"But sir, I don't WANT to be your butler!"

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(2).jpg

Yeah, Frizz can take care of this bozo with no need for Tracy.

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(4).jpg

WHAT'S KEEPING THAT STUNT DOG???

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(5).jpg

"Wow, Sarge, that's great. Makes up for all that time we were lost in the desert!"

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(6).jpg

War is Heck,

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(7).jpg

He's not really that big, it's just the uniform.

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(9).jpg

At least he took the time to think up a good alibi.

Daily_News_Sat__Feb_20__1943_(10).jpg

Well, play this right, and you might even be able to get a raise out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy