Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

PrivateEye

One of the Regulars
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Sun__Jun_27__1943_(1).jpg
Just out of curiosity Lizzie, any validity to the "forestalling fatigue and supporting muscles" claims?

Seems to me after 8 hours of being squeezed into shape by one of those things you'd be ready to snap!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, I wear one myself a lot of the time for just such reasons. It holds in the belly and it keeps the spine from slumping, which is something that happens to postmenopausal women. I find that I feel a lot less fatigued at the end of the day when I've worn one compared to when I don't. Alice is right though, if you don't already have a Poit Irish Nose, it won't give you one...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Meanwhile, I've spent too much time now searching to see if there's any of the lamented Mr. Barrymore's stuff that's come down the decades to find a place on the internet, and have come up short. Whether he wore a Spencer or a Bien-Jolie or a Rengo, or just got his girdle out of the Sears catalog will remain, sadly, a mystery. But I did find a good pic of him wearing his disgraceful hat:

md8142105880.jpeg

What do you suppose is going thru his mind at the moment this photo was taken? Never mind, I don't think I want to know.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_.jpg

("Milkmaaaan, keep t'ose bot'ls quiiiiiiettttt.." sings Joe to himself as he ascends the steps from the mildewed dampness of the 18th Avenue BMT station and rises into the not-so-cool of a Bensonhurst overnight. He strolls along, swinging his dinnerpail in time to the song, until he turns the corner onto 63rd Street -- and stops short at the sight of flashing red lights in front of number 1760. He breaks into a run, and arrives, huffing and puffing in the heavy, humid air, in time to see an ambulance pulling away from the crowd of tenants in front of the building. "Whassawlis?" he pants to Sally, who stands, face glistening with sweat, holding Leonora on her hip, in front of the stoop. "Aw, Joe," she sobs. "It was Alice." "Alice!" Joe sputters, twisting his head around as Krause the super tries to wrangle the jabbering crowd. The door opens, and two firemen and a red-faced patrolman emerge. "Hey!" interrupts Joe, grabbing the cop's forearm. "Flannery! Whasgoin' awn?" "Gas leak," declares the policeman. "Ask ya wife," calls the cop, as he hastens away. "I gotta repawrt t'write." Joe turns to Sally expectantly, and shrugs. She takes the cue, and pours out the story. "We was awl asleep," she begins, her voice coming in sharp bursts. "T'en I heeh Alice gett'n up. I go out t'kitchen, she's sniffin' aroun'. 'Smell'at?' she says. An'nen I smell it -- it's gas. It ain' comin' f'm oueh stove, so I grab Leonoreh, an' we go out'na hawl. It's strongeh downeah -- comin' f'm downstaiehs. We go down, an' it's comin' f'm t'Ginsboigs. We pound onna doeh, it's locked. Alice says 'well, on'y one t'ing t'do," an' she puts'eh shouldeh to it -- breaks t'doeh right down. T'whole place is fulla gas. She runs inside, an' yells 'get s'm help!' An' while I'm runnin' downstaiehs with Leonoreh, she comes outa t'place carryin' bot't' Ginsboigs -- BOT' OF'M, JOE! I SWEAH T"GAWD! She hadd'm slung oveh heh sholdehs like bags a'floueh, an' she carries 'em downstaiehs an' out t't'street. An' I run aroun'a cawrneh 'til I run inta Flannehry t'eh, an' I tell 'im t'get help, an'ne runs downa box an' cawlsa fieh dpawrtmen' anna amb'lance. I get back upt' house, t' Ginsboigs is onna sidewawlk chokin' t'breat'e, an' Alice ain'neh. T'en she comes runnin' out again carryin' a boid cage, Joe! A BOID CAGE, wit' a parakeet innit. T'parakeet's layin' onna bot'm wit'ta feet stickin' up, an'nen Alice stawrts chokin,' an' she sits down onna stoop an' jus' slumps oveh. An'na amb'lance took'm awla way. T'fiehmen says t'eh was a leaky valve onna Ginsboig's stove, an'ney musta past out be'foeh t'ey noticed it. T'ey op'nt up awla windehs but t'ey ain' lett'n nobody go back in." Sally gasps for breath and begins to sob, her shoulders shaking as the stress of the evening passes off. "Wheat'hell was Krause in awlis?" sputters Joe. "He come up t'street jus'befoeh you did," chokes Sally. "Said he was at a lawdge meet'n. He din' know nut'n 'bout it." As Joe glances at the bird cage sitting abandoned on the sidewalk, a distressing thought occurs to Joe. "Wheah's Stella?" "She was out'na coehtyawrd when it awl happ'nt," chokes Sally. "I seen 'eh, she's oveh pokin' 'rouna gawrbage cans. She's awright, t'ank gawd." "Gawdawmighty," gapes Joe. "T' whole block coulda blown up. Or ev'rybody coulda been 'fixiated." "If it wasn' f'' Alice," nods Sally, as Leonora sucks on her fingers. "Yeh," nods Joe, awestruck by this story. "If it wasn' f' Alice." )

Mayor LaGuardia, an outspoken New Dealer, and former President Herbert Hoover, an arch-opponent of the New Deal, found themselves yesterday in the unaccustomed position of agreeing with each other, in the belief that Government mismanagement is responsible for the present food situation. In his Sunday broadcast over WNYC, the Mayor criticized the OPA as growing "more and more unwieldy," with "conflicting statements, orders and complaints" emanating from Washington to create a situation where there is a nationwide meat shortage even as plenty of cattle roam the range. The Mayor called the present situation "pathetic," stressing that there are food shortages even though there is actually no shortage of food. Meanwhile, Mr. Hoover, in a statement issued from his suite at the Waldorf-Astoria, called for a full centralization of the nation's food supply under the "competent administration" of War Food Administrator Chester C. Davis as "the only way" to stop inflation, profiteering, and local shortages. The former president stopped short of calling for the appointment of a "food czar," stating that Mr. Davis should exercise centralized authority under the food supply only under the direct authority of the President and Congress.

General Henri Honore Giraud expects to leave his headquarters in Algiers this week for a three-week visit to the United States, with General Charles deGaulle taking full charge of French affairs in North Africa in his absence. Final arrangements for Gen. Giraud's trip to the United States, by invitation of President Roosevelt, are expected to come from the National Committee for French Liberation tomorrow.

The dismissal of three employees at a Brooklyn war plant who were fired because they attempted to foment a strike in protest of the hiring of Negroes has been upheld by an impartial arbiter. The management of the Acme Backing Corporation, Bogart and Meadow Streets, had fired the three workers. Frank Fox, Otto Chido, and Joe Gerace, all of them shop stewards for Local 121 of the United Gas, Coke, and Chemical Workers of America, on June 9th, after the three tried to organize a strike in protest of the transferral of Segundo Corchado, hired two days earlier as an elevator operator, to the factory's spreading room, and declared that the strike would continue "until the Negro is fired." "Incidents such as these," declared Arbiter George Mintzers in upholding the dismissal of the strike leaders, "frequently bring on riots and bloodshed." Mayor LaGuardia warned that "Axis snake agitators" attempting to stir up racial unrest in the city will be prosecuted, and that he personally would lead the prosecution. "I will not permit," declared the Mayor in his weekly broadcast, "as long as I am Mayor, any minority group to be abused by another group. I have stated this repeatedly. I will maintain law and order and I will afford protection to anyone who is attacked."

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(1).jpg

("Stand frankfurters on end in the form of a crown, fill center with two cups of sauerkraut." All right, who's tempted to try this.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(2).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Gypsy. "Who wants to be in the movies?")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(3).jpg

(Hey, turtlenecks are complicated.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(4).jpg

(Well, of course Fitz didn't have it! His tub of ice melted!)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(5).jpg

(Where's Honeychile Wilder when you need her?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(6).jpg

(Well, yes, when you consider the science, it makes perfect sense.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(7).jpg

(See what happens when you tolerate shoddy bodywork?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(8).jpg

(AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO DOG DOESN'T NEED CREDIT, A GOOD DEED WELL DONE IS ITS OWN REWARD)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(9).jpg

(You know he really loves it.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_.jpg

Oh you mischievous scamps. You'll get drafted soon enough.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(1).jpg

Oh sure, they ALWAYS make the Brooklyn guy disarm the bomb.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(3).jpg

And just like that, his cunning plan comes unraveled.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(4).jpg

"Why can't you be more like that kid Skeezix! Now there's a soldier!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(5).jpg

"But what about my dog?" "Dog? What dog?"

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(6).jpg

"Eh," ehs Pvt. Solly Pincus. "You'll pull t'ru!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(7).jpg

Yeah, knobhead, you BETTER sweat.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(8).jpg

"It's terrible, he even insists on getting paid in actual money, not empty bottles!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(9).jpg

Some people just aren't cut out for farming.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(10).jpg

Plushbottom *HAD* money. Here's why he DOESN'T.

("Milkmaaaan, keep t'ose bot'ls quiiiiiiettttt.." sings Joe to himself as he ascends the steps from the mildewed dampness of the 18th Avenue BMT station and rises into the not-so-cool of a Bensonhurst overnight. He strolls along, swinging his dinnerpail in time to the song, until he turns the corner onto 63rd Street -- and stops short at the sight of flashing red lights in front of number 1760. He breaks into a run, and arrives, huffing and puffing in the heavy, humid air, in time to see an ambulance pulling away from the crowd of tenants in front of the building. "Whassawlis?" he pants to Sally, who stands, face glistening with sweat, holding Leonora on her hip, in front of the stoop. "Aw, Joe," she sobs. "It was Alice." "Alice!" Joe sputters, twisting his head around as Krause the super tries to wrangle the jabbering crowd. The door opens, and two firemen and a red-faced patrolman emerge. "Hey!" interrupts Joe, grabbing the cop's forearm. "Flannery! Whasgoin' awn?" "Gas leak," declares the policeman. "Ask ya wife," calls the cop, as he hastens away. "I gotta repawrt t'write." Joe turns to Sally expectantly, and shrugs. She takes the cue, and pours out the story. "We was awl asleep," she begins, her voice coming in sharp bursts. "T'en I heeh Alice gett'n up. I go out t'kitchen, she's sniffin' aroun'. 'Smell'at?' she says. An'nen I smell it -- it's gas. It ain' comin' f'm oueh stove, so I grab Leonoreh, an' we go out'na hawl. It's strongeh downeah -- comin' f'm downstaiehs. We go down, an' it's comin' f'm t'Ginsboigs. We pound onna doeh, it's locked. Alice says 'well, on'y one t'ing t'do," an' she puts'eh shouldeh to it -- breaks t'doeh right down. T'whole place is fulla gas. She runs inside, an' yells 'get s'm help!' An' while I'm runnin' downstaiehs with Leonoreh, she comes outa t'place carryin' bot't' Ginsboigs -- BOT' OF'M, JOE! I SWEAH T"GAWD! She hadd'm slung oveh heh sholdehs like bags a'floueh, an' she carries 'em downstaiehs an' out t't'street. An' I run aroun'a cawrneh 'til I run inta Flannehry t'eh, an' I tell 'im t'get help, an'ne runs downa box an' cawlsa fieh dpawrtmen' anna amb'lance. I get back upt' house, t' Ginsboigs is onna sidewawlk chokin' t'breat'e, an' Alice ain'neh. T'en she comes runnin' out again carryin' a boid cage, Joe! A BOID CAGE, wit' a parakeet innit. T'parakeet's layin' onna bot'm wit'ta feet stickin' up, an'nen Alice stawrts chokin,' an' she sits down onna stoop an' jus' slumps oveh. An'na amb'lance took'm awla way. T'fiehmen says t'eh was a leaky valve onna Ginsboig's stove, an'ney musta past out be'foeh t'ey noticed it. T'ey op'nt up awla windehs but t'ey ain' lett'n nobody go back in." Sally gasps for breath and begins to sob, her shoulders shaking as the stress of the evening passes off. "Wheat'hell was Krause in awlis?" sputters Joe. "He come up t'street jus'befoeh you did," chokes Sally. "Said he was at a lawdge meet'n. He din' know nut'n 'bout it." As Joe glances at the bird cage sitting abandoned on the sidewalk, a distressing thought occurs to Joe. "Wheah's Stella?" "She was out'na coehtyawrd when it awl happ'nt," chokes Sally. "I seen 'eh, she's oveh pokin' 'rouna gawrbage cans. She's awright, t'ank gawd." "Gawdawmighty," gapes Joe. "T' whole block coulda blown up. Or ev'rybody coulda been 'fixiated." "If it wasn' f'' Alice," nods Sally, as Leonora sucks on her fingers. "Yeh," nods Joe, awestruck by this story. "If it wasn' f' Alice." )

Now they can never throw her out and the Ginsburgs would be rude to move. Heck, Sally and Joe might as well see if they can move to a two bedroom in the building - right now at least, the building owes them one, or Alice anyway.

"T'parakeet's layin' onna bot'm wit'ta feet stickin' up,..." Snif.

The dismissal of three employees at a Brooklyn war plant who were fired because they attempted to foment a strike in protest of the hiring of Negroes has been upheld by an impartial arbiter. The management of the Acme Backing Corporation, Bogart and Meadow Streets, had fired the three workers. Frank Fox, Otto Chido, and Joe Gerace, all of them shop stewards for Local 121 of the United Gas, Coke, and Chemical Workers of America, on June 9th, after the three tried to organize a strike in protest of the transferral of Segundo Corchado, hired two days earlier as an elevator operator, to the factory's spreading room, and declared that the strike would continue "until the Negro is fired." "Incidents such as these," declared Arbiter George Mintzers in upholding the dismissal of the strike leaders, "frequently bring on riots and bloodshed." Mayor LaGuardia warned that "Axis snake agitators" attempting to stir up racial unrest in the city will be prosecuted, and that he personally would lead the prosecution. "I will not permit," declared the Mayor in his weekly broadcast, "as long as I am Mayor, any minority group to be abused by another group. I have stated this repeatedly. I will maintain law and order and I will afford protection to anyone who is attacked."

As noted two days ago, in 1943, the US had much to be ashamed of in its treatment of minorities, but the comparisons to the Nazis were beyond ridiculous as we see here. The mayor of Berlin wasn't making any similar statements to LaGuardia's.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(2).jpg

("Hmph," hmphs Gypsy. "Who wants to be in the movies?")

Just noting, again, "This Land is Mine" is really worth seeing while it's still playing, Maybe Joe and Sally can take Alice as a small reward for saving everyone's life.

Clarence Kolb has played many memorable characters in his fifty years, with one notable role being the arrantly, blithely and pleasantly corrupt mayor of NYC in "His Girl Friday."

Anything Walter Slezak is in is worth at least considering seeing.

Brooklyn_Eagle_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(5).jpg

(Where's Honeychile Wilder when you need her?)

Mary has never fit into this model storyline. "Dale Allen" should have done what other strips do and have taken their main character off stage for a bit.

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_.jpg

Oh you mischievous scamps. You'll get drafted soon enough.

I'd bet in 1943, in at least one of those households, the "window business" wasn't forgotten, but was remembered for a week whenever one of the boys tried to sit down. As to the draft though, based on their ages, they will miss the war.

Joan Bennett, all of 33 now, was 18 years old when she had her, now, 15-year-old daughter.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(1).jpg

Oh sure, they ALWAYS make the Brooklyn guy disarm the bomb.

I'm glad Skeezix isn't doing that.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(5).jpg

"But what about my dog?" "Dog? What dog?"

"Well, the dog's gonna be a problem. He had an "accident" on the mess deck and the other sailors are not happy with him right now."

"I WAS NERVOUS. IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE!"
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

"It didn't happen to the ten-year-old girl who was with you."
"Shut up!"

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(7).jpg

Yeah, knobhead, you BETTER sweat.

This isn't the Min we are used to. She's fired up today and has no patience for Andy's nonsense. Andy's best plan would be to beat a hasty retreat.

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(9)-2.jpg

Some people just aren't cut out for farming.

or marriage, or the military, or life on earth.

Oh, and...

Daily_News_Mon__Jun_28__1943_(2).jpg

I'd love to see the production figures for this plant.

A girl in a work uniform with a name tag, white socks and sneakers and holding a beer in her hand, it's like I'm back at Rutgers College in the 1980s.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_.jpg

("Aw, get t'at look offaya face," grins Alice, propped up on pillows in her bed at Israel Zion Hospital. "T'doc says I'm gonna be outeh heeh t'marra mawrnin. T'ey just wanna keep me one moeh night f'whatchacawl obsehvation. I breat'ed in a lotta t'at stuff, an' I dislocated me shouldeh knockin'a dooeh down on toppa t'at." "Yeh," nods Sally, sitting at her bedside next to a basket of fruit donated by the tenants of 1720 63rd Street. "Y'know, Krause was kina soeh 'bout t'at, he was gonna chawrge yeh f'gett'nit fixed. But I sez to 'im, I sez, 'y'wouldn' wanna lan'loehd t'know y'was'n' at yeh pos' when awlis happ'nt, now woudja?' An'nee pul't 'is neck right in." Alice chuckles at that thought, as she bites vigorously into an apple. "I hadda tell Mildred Kelly why you was absentee'in' t'day," continues Sally, "'an' she got awl woiked up. She says she's gonna tawk t't' factr'y manageh anna shawp stewe'd, an' maybe see if t'comp'ny will give ya a scroll awra medal a' sum'pn. 'T' Bell Syst'm Med'la Merit' a'sump'n like t'at. Mildred says maybe t'ey c'n have a ceremony onna steps'a Borra Hawll, have awlkindsa big shots t'eh -- LaGawrdia, Cashmoeh, maybe eve'n Freddie Fitzsimm'ns." "No, no, no," sputters Alice, coughing out bits of apple. "Nut'n like t'at! I do'wann'o publicity! I jus' done me duty, t'at's awl. No publicity! In fack, t'fois' t'ing I done when I come to was use t'eh phone heeh t'cawl ya ma, an' aks 'eh t'see'f she c'n keep it outa t'papehs. Wasn't nut'n inn'eh t'day, was'eh?" "Nah," replies Sally, "I din' see nut'n. But lissen -- whas' my ma got t'do wit' it? She runs a canny stoeh in Flatbush. She ain' got no pull wit' t'papehs." "But," chuckles Alice, "I betcha Frank Leary does. An' ya ma's got plenny'a pull wit' him." Alice punctuates this last statement with a knowing wink. Sally's eyes narrow, but she makes no reply. "I guess t'Ginsboigs gonna be OK," she says, changing the subject. "T'docteh says y'saved t'eh lives." "Ahhh," demurs Alice. "I done what anybody woulda did. Hey, lissen, c'n ya do me a faveh? I ain' got me pocke'book heeh -- awl I got is t'nightdress I had on when t'ey brung me in. C'n ya loan me a coupl'a bucks?" "Sueh," nods Sally, reaching into her bag. "Nah, not f'heeh," directs Alice. "I want y'should stop inna Woolwoit's onna way home, an' -- lissen, I wan'cha sh'd get t'Ginsboigs a new parakeet. You know, t'r'place t'one t'at...you know. Awlem boids look alike, t'ey'll neveh know t'diff'nce. I don' wan' t'ey should know t'at -- you know." "Sueh," smiles Sally, patting Alice on the hand. "I'll take caeh've it.")

A report submitted to Congress today by a member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on War Department Affairs said wages paid to war workers approximates those paid to the highest ranking officers in the Armed Forces -- including Generals Marshall, Eisenhower, and MacArthur. Representative Albert J. Engel (R-Michigan) stated in the report that the average wage paid per hour in war plants stands at $1.35 per hour, or $2725 per year, but cited examples of "wage extravagance" which has led to an assistant superintendent at a Government arsenal leaving his job to take a supervisory job in a war plant at $11,500 a year exceeding the $10,200 paid to the top generals in the Army. He further cited the example of a former ribbon-cutting clerk in a five-and-ten-cent store who is now earning $3300 in a war plant, exceeding the $3000 base pay of an Army major. Rep. Engel further charged that "former farm boys who last year were hauling manure and digging potatoes, store clerks, and gas station attendants" are now taking $120 and $220 every two weeks in war jobs, and that "girls are being paid $55.50 a week to learn to mend shoes." "The fact is," he argued, "the Administration has scrambled the eggs, and it is now impossible to unscramble them."

The Axis reported today that the immense Allied fleet that is gathered along the coast of North Africa to strike at Europe as early as July 3rd, with Sicily the expected point of initial landings. Anticipating the start of an invasion on the eve of the American Day of Independence, Axis reports state that counterattacks have already begun. A Berlin communique reported that a British Frobisher-class freighter had been sunk by a U-Boat as part of a "strongly protected" convoy in the western Mediterranean. Since there is no British ship class by that name, it is presumed that the ship sunk was the Frobisher itself.

Frontline dispatches today reported heavy aerial fighting over the approaches to Leningrad, with German bomber squadrons attacking around the clock in an attempt to exhaust Soviet fighter units. Nearly 24 hours of daylight prevail at Leningrad at this time of year, and the Germans are reported to be taking advantage of the long sunlight to send wave after wave of strongly escorted bombers against the city. Most formations, however, are being successfully intercepted by Soviet planes well short of the city. In one engagement alone, Soviet fighters intercepted a squadron of 50 bombers and shot down 19 of them. The following day another 7 Nazi planes were reported destroyed.

One Long Island man, two from Manhattan, and one from the Bronx were indicted today in Manhattan Federal Court on charges that they used the mails to defraud the government of the Soviet Union. The men are executives of the Dairt Company of Hicksville, with the firm itself also named as a defendant. The men as individuals and the firm collectively are accused of knowingly manufacturing and selling defective ammunition to the Soviet Government, with as many as 38 percent of cartridges sold under a contract arranged thru a Russian trading agency found to be so faulty that they will jam in the gun and possibly explode, injuring the man firing. An investigation of the firm by the FBI impounded 550,000 cartridges ready for shipment, and found them to be reloaded "junk" casings, with poorly-fitted old-stock primers held in place by shellacked paper. Two of the men indicted have prior criminal records -- factory manager Moe Sarga of the Bronx was convicted in 1937 of concealing assets in a bankruptcy case, and had been held as a material witness in connection with the murder of R. Norman Redwood, leader of the sandhogs' union. Gerald Mosello of Manhattan, said to be "an investor" in the plant, had been convicted several years ago on a burglary charge.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(1).jpg

("THEY"RE FOR MY WIFE!" he huffs.)

Holders of "A" cards in the Eastern shortage area no longer qualify for new tires, according to a ruling today by the Office of Price Administration. Rubber Director William M. Jeffers announced the revocation of tire privileges for those holding only the basic gasoline ration, on the basis of a temporary shortage of both new and recapped tires, expected to last at least ninety days. Director Jeffers indicated, though, that "A" card holders may still have their present tires recapped if necessary without the need for a tire certificate. "A" card holders outside the Eastern district may qualify for replacement tires only if they use their car for essential occupational purposes only, with no other available means of transportation.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(3).jpg

(That sound you hear is the barrel scraping.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(4).jpg

(War is Hell.)

The Eagle Editorialist deplores the resignation of War Food Administrator Chester Davis as "just one more indication of the hopeless muddle in which food control has become involved in Washington." The EE notes that Davis actually had little authority, having to report to Price Administrator Prentiss Brown, War Manpower Commission chairman Paul V. McNutt, and War Production Board chairman Donald L. Nelson. The EE further suspects that the reason President Roosevelt was so "sharp with Mr. Davis in the letter accepting his resignation" is that Mr. Davis had earlier this week been touted by Herbert Hoover, arch-foe of the New Deal, for the proposed position of national food controller.

A professional swindler known as "the man with 1000 cousins" will go to prison after his conviction on second-degree grand larceny charges. Fifty-six year old Samuel Sklar of 880 Park Place was charged with swindling more than $200,000 out of his victims, whom he contacted by scanning newspaper articles about people who had come into money. He then presented himself as "a long lost cousin" who was willing to help these men and women invest their windfalls in his "inventions" upon which he was about to obtain patent rights. Sklar was also charged with theft of patents.

(No, this is not a "Moon Mullins" plot, but it probably will be.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(5).jpg

(If Mr. Parrott does take this job with Rickey, I for one will miss him very much.)

Peter WIllis Cawthon has been appointed head coach for the Football Dodgers for the 1943 season. Cawthon, a disciple and close friend of the late Knute Rockne, has coached extensively in Texas and Alabama, where he mentored several players who have since made good in the professional game.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(6).jpg

(Then what good are you???)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(7).jpg

(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(8).jpg

("Who cares," sniffs Irwin Higgs. "I'm making $60 a week loading rivets!")

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(9).jpg
("You should hear what my pal Sandy says! HEE HEE HEE!")

Brooklyn_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_.jpg

(NEXT TIME PAY YOUR WATER BILL!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_.jpg

You just can't get decent help.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(1).jpg

Joe looks over at Leonora, helping Ma sort her nickels, and takes a slow, conflicted sip of his egg cream. He wonders where Solly Pincus and Mickey Sweeney are right now.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(2).jpg

"Dizz-Baby?" I just can't keep up with all these confusing psychological terms.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(3).jpg

"I mean, I play a pretty hot tenor sax, and I can double on clarinet!"

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(5).jpg

It's a wonder anything in 1943 America ever gets done.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(6).jpg

Andy -- in a polo shirt? Well, I suppose if you want to be a racetrack character you've got to look like a racetrack character.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(7).jpg

He must be good at -- something.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(8).jpg

Hope they don't lose your baggage.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(9).jpg

"Oh, I've been in the water before."

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(10).jpg

Speaking of replacing doors, they might as well just hang up a blanket...

View attachment 528981
("Aw, get t'at look offaya face," grins Alice, propped up on pillows in her bed at Israel Zion Hospital. "T'doc says I'm gonna be outeh heeh t'marra mawrnin. T'ey just wanna keep me one moeh night f'whatchacawl obsehvation. I breat'ed in a lotta t'at stuff, an' I dislocated me shouldeh knockin'a dooeh down on toppa t'at." "Yeh," nods Sally, sitting at her bedside next to a basket of fruit donated by the tenants of 1720 63rd Street. "Y'know, Krause was kina soeh 'bout t'at, he was gonna chawrge yeh f'gett'nit fixed. But I sez to 'im, I sez, 'y'wouldn' wanna lan'loehd t'know y'was'n' at yeh pos' when awlis happ'nt, now woudja?' An'nee pul't 'is neck right in." Alice chuckles at that thought, as she bites vigorously into an apple. "I hadda tell Mildred Kelly why you was absentee'in' t'day," continues Sally, "'an' she got awl woiked up. She says she's gonna tawk t't' factr'y manageh anna shawp stewe'd, an' maybe see if t'comp'ny will give ya a scroll awra medal a' sum'pn. 'T' Bell Syst'm Med'la Merit' a'sump'n like t'at. Mildred says maybe t'ey c'n have a ceremony onna steps'a Borra Hawll, have awlkindsa big shots t'eh -- LaGawrdia, Cashmoeh, maybe eve'n Freddie Fitzsimm'ns." "No, no, no," sputters Alice, coughing out bits of apple. "Nut'n like t'at! I do'wann'o publicity! I jus' done me duty, t'at's awl. No publicity! In fack, t'fois' t'ing I done when I come to was use t'eh phone heeh t'cawl ya ma, an' aks 'eh t'see'f she c'n keep it outa t'papehs. Wasn't nut'n inn'eh t'day, was'eh?" "Nah," replies Sally, "I din' see nut'n. But lissen -- whas' my ma got t'do wit' it? She runs a canny stoeh in Flatbush. She ain' got no pull wit' t'papehs." "But," chuckles Alice, "I betcha Frank Leary does. An' ya ma's got plenny'a pull wit' him." Alice punctuates this last statement with a knowing wink. Sally's eyes narrow, but she makes no reply. "I guess t'Ginsboigs gonna be OK," she says, changing the subject. "T'docteh says y'saved t'eh lives." "Ahhh," demurs Alice. "I done what anybody woulda did. Hey, lissen, c'n ya do me a faveh? I ain' got me pocke'book heeh -- awl I got is t'nightdress I had on when t'ey brung me in. C'n ya loan me a coupl'a bucks?" "Sueh," nods Sally, reaching into her bag. "Nah, not f'heeh," directs Alice. "I want y'should stop inna Woolwoit's onna way home, an' -- lissen, I wan'cha sh'd get t'Ginsboigs a new parakeet. You know, t'r'place t'one t'at...you know. Awlem boids look alike, t'ey'll neveh know t'diff'nce. I don' wan' t'ey should know t'at -- you know." "Sueh," smiles Sally, patting Alice on the hand. "I'll take caeh've it.")

I am not crying, I have, umm, allergies; yeah, that's it, allergies.

The Axis reported today that the immense Allied fleet that is gathered along the coast of North Africa to strike at Europe as early as July 3rd, with Sicily the expected point of initial landings. Anticipating the start of an invasion on the eve of the American Day of Independence, Axis reports state that counterattacks have already begun. A Berlin communique reported that a British Frobisher-class freighter had been sunk by a U-Boat as part of a "strongly protected" convoy in the western Mediterranean. Since there is no British ship class by that name, it is presumed that the ship sunk was the Frobisher itself.

That's why if Annie and Sandy have to go down with the sub to keep even one sub out of action, then it has to be.

Annie: "Yup, I'll scuttle it myself if necessary." (Said as she furtively looks around for the sub's seacocks.)
Sandy: "WHAT!!!!!!!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(3).jpg

(That sound you hear is the barrel scraping.)

(3) -The Navy is now accepting men with social diseases which they regard as curable.

"What about after they are already in?"
"Shut up!"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(5).jpg

(If Mr. Parrott does take this job with Rickey, I for one will miss him very much.)

That would be a real loss.

If they had had "exotic" bets back then, think of what the exacta and trifecta payouts would have been with Water Pearl.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(7).jpg

(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

This is awful. Panel four is heartbreaking.

Joe looks over at Leonora, helping Ma sort her nickels, and takes a slow, conflicted sip of his egg cream. He wonders where Solly Pincus and Mickey Sweeney are right now.

Even money that Mickey is in the stockade.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(6).jpg

Andy -- in a polo shirt? Well, I suppose if you want to be a racetrack character you've got to look like a racetrack character.

For true racetrack authenticity, his polo shirt would need to be either in a bold pattern or a particularly ugly color. If he wants to go all in, he'd pair it with a loud patterned sport coat that clearly clashes and wear the polo shirt's collar over the sport coat's collar. To this day, racetrack fashion is a show in and of itself.

Daily_News_Tue__Jun_29__1943_(9).jpg

"Oh, I've been in the water before."

"Excuse me, pardon me, remember me, your loyal dog!"
354075-32377569fc0f2c618ba11c4ec4268395.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_.jpg

(Her bright green eyes flickering with excitement, Stella the Cat gazes at the colorful little bird flitting in the cage tucked on the kitchen shelf, just out of her reach. "Don' get no ideehs," warns Joe, eyeing her sternly. "I don' caeh if t'eh IS a meat shawrt'ge, you ain' gett'n'at boid. T'at's f't' Ginsboigs, we'h jus' boidsitt'n till'ey get outta t' hospital!" Stella tenses her back, her pupils expand, her tail snaps, and she emits a chattering sound intended to convey menace. Joe flares his own eyes, and chatters right back, causing Stella to retreat to her lair beneath the stove. "An' let t'at be a lesson to ya," he declares. "An' don' get no..." His remark is interrupted by a brisk knock at the door. "ABOUT TIME YA GOT HERE!" he yells in response, awaiting a kick at the door that never comes. Instead, a second, more insistent knock follows, and Joe steps to the door to reveal a well-dressed, dark-haired woman. "Mr. Petrauskas?" she inquires. "Yeh," says Joe. "But I do'wanna buy no magazines t'day." "No, that's not why I'm here," she replies. "My name is Ruth Levitz -- the Ginsburgs from downstairs are my parents. May I come in?" "Oh!" ohs Joe. "Soit'nly. We -- uh -- gotcha boid right heeh." "Oh, good," the visitor smiles. "My mother does dote on that bird so. Hello Zippy, who's a good bird?" The little green head bobs, but there is no reply. "That's funny, he usually says 'hello Zippy!' right back." "Um, he mus' be scaieht still f'm awlat stuff t'at hap'nt 'tutteh night," stutters Joe. "We was awl pretty shook up. Um, have a seat. I c'n fix ya a cuppa cawfee if y'want -- we got Nescafe!" "Thank you," Mrs. Levitz replies, and Joe puts the water on the stove to boil. "Mr. Krause tells me that Alice Dooley lives here," she continues. "They said at the hospital she was discharged this morning." "Yeh," yehs Joe. "She din' go t'woik, t'ough, she still got a bad shouldeh, so she's out now pushin' me lit'l goil aroun' t'block inneh strolleh. She oughta be back in ten minutes a'so." "I wanted, first of all," Mrs. Levitz continues, "to thank her for doing what she did the other night. As you know, my parents are getting old, and -- well, my husband and I live out in Valley Stream, well, before my husband went in the service, and I've been trying for years to get them to move out there with us, where we can keep an eye on them, but Father refuses to close his shop, and Mother, well, she says she won't move because she doesn't like the climate." "Yeh," nods Joe, mixing the Nescafe. "T'ey got a lotta bugs out t'Valley Stream too. Me'n Sal -- t'at's me wife -- we wen' out t'tat Drive In movie out t'eh once. We ain' got no cawr, rode out t'eh onna train, so we kina sat onna groun', an'na bugs chewed us up sump'n fieehce. I don' blame ya ma. I mean -- uh -- it's a nice place 'nawl, but..." "It is," nods Mrs. Levitz, "it's very nice. But the reason I came over today is to see if this Miss Dooley -- well, if my parents aren't going to move, I'd like to have someone around to -- well, look after them. There's a spare room since the last of my brothers went into the service, and I think we could arrange for her to -- you know -- move in there as a boarder and -- help out, do you see what I mean?" "Ah," ahs Joe. "But Alice is gotta wawr jawb wit' t' phone comp'ny out't Joisey. She woiks wit' me wife makin' radio tubes an' what not." "Oh of course," replies Mrs. Levitz, "I'd never want her to give that up. Mother wouldn't want someone underfoot in the house during the day anyway. But at night -- well, it'd certainly give me peace of mind to know there was someone there in case...""Ohhhh yeh," interjects Joe, his head nodding enthusiastically. "I t'ink t'at's a SWELL ideeh! An' I betcha Alice will go'fr'it!" "Oh, that's wonderful," smiles Mrs. Levitz, glancing at her watch. "I have an appointment downtown I need to make, so could you give her my phone number and have her give me a call after, oh, four this afternoon, and we can talk it over." She produces pen and paper, jots down the number, and slides the folded sheet across the table to Joe. "And please, be sure to thank her again for all she's done, and thank *you* for looking after Zippy for us." We'h glad t'do it," smiles Joe with immense satisfaction as he escorts the visitor to the door. "Be sueh t'come see us any time." Closing the door as Mrs. Levitz clatters down the stairs, Joe exhales deeply, and approaches the bird cage. "Hello Zippy," he crackles, in as close to a parakeet voice as he can muster. "Hello Zippy! Hello Zippy! C'mon, boid, speak up! Hello Zippy!")

British bombers, pushing an offensive to cut off Sicily from supplies and reinforcements smashed at Messino and Reggio Calabria in a two-way assault Monday night it was announced today. An Italian communique broadcast by the Rome radio stated that Porto Empedocle, in southern Sicily, was also raided by British planes. Striking from bases in northwest Africa, RAF Wellingtons scored hits on the ferry terminus and railway yards at Messina, already the most-bombed city on Sicily.

The supreme military commander of the German armed forces is reported to have set up Axis anti-invasion headquarters in Western Germany. Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel was reported by the London Daily Express to have left Russia to meet the expected new threat to Germany from the west and south. It was further reported that Field Marshal Erwin Rommell, still wearing the uniform of the vanquished Afrika Korps, has established headquarters in Lyons, France in anticipation of a defense of the Rhone Valley. Lyons itself is said to be under martial law, with more than 350,000 German troops "forming an iron ring" around its environs, where a civilian curfew from 10pm until dawn is being enforced on the population.

The proposed dissolution of the Empire State Motion Picture Operators Union, which holds contracts with the Combined Century Theatres Inc., covering six movie houses in Brooklyn, one in Queens, and three in Nassau County, was blocked today by an injunction sought by the company, which claims that the dissolution of that union threatens the survival of the company. Members of the union have voted to dissolve their independent union and join Local 306 of the Moving Picture Machine Operators Union, AFL, and American Federation of Labor president William Green has stated that the move will bring to an end twelve years of unrest between the rival organizations. The company argues that the projectionists are seeking the merger merely for "personal benefit." The injunction granted in Supreme Court is temporary, until a lawsuit filed by the theatre owners can be tried.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(1).jpg

("The American woman is not going to stand for having her legs standardized." Oh, I dunno. Would it hurt?)

With the Brooklyn political world still reeling over the decision by Kings County Republican leaders to endorse Lt. Col. William O'Dwyer for re-election as District Attorney, a further bombshell may fall this week with the likely endorsement by party leaders of Councilwoman Genevieve Earle. Mrs. Earle, long a leader in the City Fusion Party, has won three straight elections on the Fusion-Citizens Non-Partisan Committee ticket while Republicans have consistently struggled to draw votes for their Council nominees. While no formal vote has yet been taken, GOP leaders in Brooklyn have acknowledged that the endorsement of Mrs. Earle for reelection is "under strong consideration." But according to "a number of Republican insiders," a GOP endorsement of the Council's woman member is "not entirely satisfactory" to some in the party, and it is anticipated that the issue may "stir up opposition" within the party's executive ranks. No Republican has been elected to a councilmanic seat from Brooklyn since Abner Surpless, now a magistrate, was elected in 1937.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(2).jpg

("Best Foot Forward" is about as close to a prototypical early-1940s book musical as it's possible to get. The songs are good, but not great, the dancing is good, but not great, and the performances are good, but not great. The high school setting makes you wonder what a "Harold Teen" Broadway show might have been like. The highlight of the movie is young Nancy Walker, vigorous and dynamic and hilarious, long before she was relegated to paper towel commercials.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(3).jpg

("Sorry, toots, we don't work for bananas.")

Magistrate Charles Solomon today threatened to impose jail sentences on war plant workers brought before him for smoking on the job. He made the threat while imposing $10 fines on six workers from Long Island City aircraft plants charged on complaints from the Fire Department. Magistrate Solomon declared that such violations not only create a menace to life and safety for war workers, but also threaten the war effort itself, and he ordered two Fire Department inspectors to make surprise visits to all Long Island plants this week and to not merely write summonses for violators, but to arrest them on the spot.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(4).jpg

(Whoo hoo! Dressen's back! And he's only 49 years old! Maybe he can play shortstop!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(5).jpg

(Well, whatever else you might say about Miss Vance, she's a shrewd judge of character.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(6).jpg

(Vivisection? LET'S SEE GOULD TOP THAT.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(7).jpg

(See kids, this is why it pays to take shop class.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(8).jpg

(AND I DON'T CLAIM TO BE AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE HERO CAT EITHER. SOOOOOO THEEEEEEEEERE!)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(9).jpg

(For a man who never had a daughter, Mr. Tuthill has a unique sense for what it's like to be a 12-year-old girl.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News....

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_.jpg

Every jewel thief in America is taking notes.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(1).jpg

"Well," says Dick Tracy, "at least it'll get him off my back for a while."

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(2).jpg

Good thing she knows shorthand.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(3).jpg

"Quick! Does anybody here know how to swim!"

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(4).jpg

"But you're NOT getting a zoot suit with a reet pleat!"

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(5).jpg

"Heads together? That makes one of them!"

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(6).jpg

"If You See Something -- Say Something."

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(7).jpg

And that's why they call him "Wolf."

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(8).jpg

Like fish in a barrel.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(9).jpg

People in this neighborhood never have to spend money on shows.

(Her bright green eyes flickering with excitement, Stella the Cat gazes at the colorful little bird flitting in the cage tucked on the kitchen shelf, just out of her reach. "Don' get no ideehs," warns Joe, eyeing her sternly. "I don' caeh if t'eh IS a meat shawrt'ge, you ain' gett'n'at boid. T'at's f't' Ginsboigs, we'h jus' boidsitt'n till'ey get outta t' hospital!" Stella tenses her back, her pupils expand, her tail snaps, and she emits a chattering sound intended to convey menace. Joe flares his own eyes, and chatters right back, causing Stella to retreat to her lair beneath the stove. "An' let t'at be a lesson to ya," he declares. "An' don' get no..." His remark is interrupted by a brisk knock at the door. "ABOUT TIME YA GOT HERE!" he yells in response, awaiting a kick at the door that never comes. Instead, a second, more insistent knock follows, and Joe steps to the door to reveal a well-dressed, dark-haired woman. "Mr. Petrauskas?" she inquires. "Yeh," says Joe. "But I do'wanna buy no magazines t'day." "No, that's not why I'm here," she replies. "My name is Ruth Levitz -- the Ginsburgs from downstairs are my parents. May I come in?" "Oh!" ohs Joe. "Soit'nly. We -- uh -- gotcha boid right heeh." "Oh, good," the visitor smiles. "My mother does dote on that bird so. Hello Zippy, who's a good bird?" The little green head bobs, but there is no reply. "That's funny, he usually says 'hello Zippy!' right back." "Um, he mus' be scaieht still f'm awlat stuff t'at hap'nt 'tutteh night," stutters Joe. "We was awl pretty shook up. Um, have a seat. I c'n fix ya a cuppa cawfee if y'want -- we got Nescafe!" "Thank you," Mrs. Levitz replies, and Joe puts the water on the stove to boil. "Mr. Krause tells me that Alice Dooley lives here," she continues. "They said at the hospital she was discharged this morning." "Yeh," yehs Joe. "She din' go t'woik, t'ough, she still got a bad shouldeh, so she's out now pushin' me lit'l goil aroun' t'block inneh strolleh. She oughta be back in ten minutes a'so." "I wanted, first of all," Mrs. Levitz continues, "to thank her for doing what she did the other night. As you know, my parents are getting old, and -- well, my husband and I live out in Valley Stream, well, before my husband went in the service, and I've been trying for years to get them to move out there with us, where we can keep an eye on them, but Father refuses to close his shop, and Mother, well, she says she won't move because she doesn't like the climate." "Yeh," nods Joe, mixing the Nescafe. "T'ey got a lotta bugs out t'Valley Stream too. Me'n Sal -- t'at's me wife -- we wen' out t'tat Drive In movie out t'eh once. We ain' got no cawr, rode out t'eh onna train, so we kina sat onna groun', an'na bugs chewed us up sump'n fieehce. I don' blame ya ma. I mean -- uh -- it's a nice place 'nawl, but..." "It is," nods Mrs. Levitz, "it's very nice. But the reason I came over today is to see if this Miss Dooley -- well, if my parents aren't going to move, I'd like to have someone around to -- well, look after them. There's a spare room since the last of my brothers went into the service, and I think we could arrange for her to -- you know -- move in there as a boarder and -- help out, do you see what I mean?" "Ah," ahs Joe. "But Alice is gotta wawr jawb wit' t' phone comp'ny out't Joisey. She woiks wit' me wife makin' radio tubes an' what not." "Oh of course," replies Mrs. Levitz, "I'd never want her to give that up. Mother wouldn't want someone underfoot in the house during the day anyway. But at night -- well, it'd certainly give me peace of mind to know there was someone there in case...""Ohhhh yeh," interjects Joe, his head nodding enthusiastically. "I t'ink t'at's a SWELL ideeh! An' I betcha Alice will go'fr'it!" "Oh, that's wonderful," smiles Mrs. Levitz, glancing at her watch. "I have an appointment downtown I need to make, so could you give her my phone number and have her give me a call after, oh, four this afternoon, and we can talk it over." She produces pen and paper, jots down the number, and slides the folded sheet across the table to Joe. "And please, be sure to thank her again for all she's done, and thank *you* for looking after Zippy for us." We'h glad t'do it," smiles Joe with immense satisfaction as he escorts the visitor to the door. "Be sueh t'come see us any time." Closing the door as Mrs. Levitz clatters down the stairs, Joe exhales deeply, and approaches the bird cage. "Hello Zippy," he crackles, in as close to a parakeet voice as he can muster. "Hello Zippy! Hello Zippy! C'mon, boid, speak up! Hello Zippy!")

How Joe paused for even a second on the suggestion of Alice moving into the apartment below is a testiment to his methodical thinking. I'd have been packing Alice's things before Mrs. Levitz even got the word "boarder" fully out.

Also, was Mrs. Levitz wearing any clothes? Just askin'.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(2).jpg

("Best Foot Forward" is about as close to a prototypical early-1940s book musical as it's possible to get. The songs are good, but not great, the dancing is good, but not great, and the performances are good, but not great. The high school setting makes you wonder what a "Harold Teen" Broadway show might have been like. The highlight of the movie is young Nancy Walker, vigorous and dynamic and hilarious, long before she was relegated to paper towel commercials.)

All you said, plus there's this: archeologist recently discovered a cave drawing by prehistoric man about a famous cave woman being invited to a teenage cave-school prom as a gag/promotion, which the scientists note, could possibly prove that this is one of the oldest still-in-use storylines ever.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(6).jpg

(Vivisection? LET'S SEE GOULD TOP THAT.)

Why buy him when the zoo would gladly give him away. Who is the business manager at the City Museum?

With Scarlet about to have a fresh cup of coffee, it looks like we are back to this:

And in the Daily News....
Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_-2.jpg

Every jewel thief in America is taking notes.

While their ranks have been thinned by the draft like everyone else's, there's still a good number of jewel thieves kicking around in 1943. It would be interesting to see how this is resolved as, my guess, her story about how she got the jewelry is probably, for the most part, true.

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(1).jpg

"Well," says Dick Tracy, "at least it'll get him off my back for a while."

"Not with that piece of cr*p you're not. I've waited a long time for this and I want a full-sized leather Gladstone like all the Hollywood stars have."
lf-2.jpeg

Daily_News_Wed__Jun_30__1943_(7)-2.jpg

And that's why they call him "Wolf."

Sure it's a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason. As with Taffy in "Terry and the Pirates," these teenage boys would go a bit crazy at seeing a pretty woman after months of fighting side by side with only men. As a former teenage boy, I can attest that teenage boys spend their time thinking about two things, girls first and everything else in the world a distant second.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_.jpg

("Yeh," yehs Joe, leaning over the counter as Ma Sweeney mixes his egg cream, "awls well t'at en's well, I guess. T' Ginsboigs is gett'n outa t'hospit'l t'marreh, an' Alice is gonna move in down'neah an' help look afteh'm. No moeh cot inna kitchen, no moeh bangin' aroun' inna midl'a night. Ahhh, it's gonna be swell -- well, c'ep f'one t'ing, I can't get t'is boid Sal brung home t'tawk. See, t'Ginsboig's boid din' make it when t'gas leaked, an' we got'm a new one, an' figgeh t'ey won' know t'diff'nce. But t' ol' one could tawk, an'nis one jus' sits te'h, don' say a woid. Hey, Ma, you wouldn' know nut'n 'bout makin' a boid tawk, wouldja?" "No, Joseph," shrugs Ma, as she slides the glass over to Joe. "Oi've found in faaact that a baarrd that tawks too much can get in trooble." "What?" "Indeed." Joe absorbs the point and glances down at the paper laid out before him. "Hey, now, lookit who's back inna news. Abe Frosch, remembeh him? Bail bonds, t'numbehs -- hey, wasn' his mutteh mixed up innawlat stuff too? 'Magine t'at, a sweet ol' mutteh, a nice ol' lady, awl mixed up inna rackets. Hawrd t'b'lieve, ain' it. "Yes indeed, Joseph," nods Ma with her kindliest smile, "soomtimes it's much bettarr farr a barrd not to talk.")

British submarines supporting Allied air forces in an offensive to cut off Italy's island outposts from supply and reinforcement have sunk four and possibly five more Axis ships in Italian waters, it was announced today by the Admiralty. The new blows to waning Axis strength came as European advances told of the departure of a new Allied invasion fleet from Gibraltar under strong naval escort, and reported that Italy's King Victor Emmanuel was pleading with Premier Benito Mussolini to declare Rome an open city in hopes that it may be spared aerial bombardment.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, supreme Allied commander in North Africa, personally intervened in the French situation to ask that General Henri Honore Giraud be retained as French military commander in an effort to avoid impeding the war effort, it was revealed today by Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Speaking in the House of Commons, Mr. Churchill stated that Gen. Eisenhower's request was backed by the full authority of the United States and British Governments, and was made solely on military and not political grounds. Churchill said that on June 19th, General Eisenhower met personally with Gen. Giraud and Gen. Charles de Gaulle, the French co-leader, for their personal assurance that "there would be no change in the French command in North Africa at this time." Mr. Churchill further explained that the British Government intends to take no side in French political arguments, and that there was no intention in General Eisenhower's intervention to imply that he is invested with full control over the non-military political administration of North Africa.

Unless President Roosevelt personally intervenes, an obscure Detroit innkeeper will die on the gallows at the Federal Correctional Institute in Milan, Michigan as a traitor to his adopted country. Fifty-one year old Max Stephan, a stocky former corporal in the German Army, was convicted of treason last month for having aided an escaped German prisoner of war. If he is executed he will become the first person ever to hang under the 153-year-old Federal law against treason. "They'll never hang me," insisted Stephan as he paced his ceill at the Milan prison this morning, despite the exhaustion of every possible legal recourse save a Presidential order of clemency.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(1).jpg

(I thought MacPhail took care of this last year. And it certainly isn't like Rickey to walk past a nickel on the sidewalk.)

The end of uncontrolled independent fundraising for war-related causes is near, with an agreement by 16 major philanthropic agencies to combine their efforts into a single, unified drive to meet New York City's $17,000,000 quota in the coming $125,000,000 National War Fund campaign. The drive, scheduled to begin on October 1st, will be led by Emil Schramm, chairman of the New York City National War Front Committee and head of the New York Stock Exchange, with John D. Rockefeller Jr. serving as honorary chairman. Wintrhop W. Aldrich has been appointed nationwide head of the National War Fund campaign, aided by Prescott S. Bush as vice-chairman. Mayor LaGuardia stated today that he is happy to cooperate with the local campaign, and predicted that New York City will exceed its quota.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(2).jpg

(So that's what became of Clifford Evans. Gonna be a tough act following Henny Youngman, there, Cliff, but we're sure you'll make a good show of it.)

The Pay As You Go income tax law takes effect today, but wage earners will go on until next week before seeing the impact on their pay envelopes. The 20 percent withholding tax will go into force with the first full pay period of the month, with a basic exemption of $12 a week for individual wage earners, and $24 for heads of households. An additional $6 exemption will apply for every dependent up to the age of 18. If a husband and wife are both working, they may split the $24 exemption, or the one earning the most may claim it with the other taking the individual exemption of $12. To figure the amount of your tax due, subtract the total sum of exemptions from salary and divide by 5. The Victory Tax is included in the amount due each pay period.

Jewelry is going to war, at least in limited quantities. Members of the WAACs may wear, while in uniform, a simple wristwatch, a wedding ring and engagement ring -- if simple in design -- and a signet ring, but no more than two rings may be worn at a time. WAVES may wear a watch, an identification bracelet and a simple ring. Women Marines are allowed the same as WAVES. Men in all branches of the service may wear the same allotment of jewelry -- a watch, an identification bracelet, and, if desired, a wedding ring. The wearing of wedding rings by men in uniform is "one of the surprise fashions of the present war."

Reader P. G. Sartzetakis writes in to blame the recent Detroit race riot on "the white population," stating that "it seems that there are some people in this country who will never be civilized. They will never realize that a man with a black skin is no different from a man with a white skin. I have three sons in the Armed Forces of the United States. I have traveled quite a bit lately and I have seen the shameful state of affairs here and there -- the color line in restaurants, in buses, in trains, and factories. After all, the colored people are human. How long must they suffer abuses?"

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(3).jpg

("Well, get my rifle. I'll show you how to shoot a buffalo.")

MIlk wagons have made a resurgence in the metropolitan area due to the gasoline shortage, and now, in Linden, New Jersey the old-fashioned gasoline tank wagon is making a comeback as well. At the Bayway Refinery of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, a team of dobbins hauled a tank wagon to replace a truck withdrawn from service due to the gasoline service. The Bayway plant is one of the biggest gasoline refineries in the country.

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(4).jpg

("My Buddy" will become baseball's first-ever "walk up song," as Gladys Goodding will take to playing a short riff from it as Dixie steps to the plate. He will not, however, pause for a vocal chorus before stepping into the box.)

Young ballplayers who think they have what it takes to play for the Dodgers one day are invited to attend a tryout camp running July 8 to July 11 at East Side Park in Paterson, New Jersey. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and if they show sufficient skill they will be offered minor league contracts and paid expenses incidental to their attendance at the tryout. The camp, which will operate each day starting at 9 AM, will be supervised by Dodger farm director Branch Rickey Jr.

The Bushwicks will go on the road next week for a three-game series against the Homestead Grays of the Negro National League. The first two games will be played as a doubleheader on Monday at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, with the concluding game of the series to played at the Grays' second home, Griffith Stadium in Washington DC. The Bushwicks got back on a winning track last Sunday by sweeping two from the St. Louis Stars. They will face the Union City Reds at Dexter Park on Sunday before boarding the train for Pittsburgh Sunday night.

Be sure to tune in WMCA next Wednesday for the "Women Can Take It" program, which will feature the premiere of a new war song, "Hallelujah, Hallelujah," to be sung by none other than the Brooklyn Dodgers Fearful Foresome, a quartet made up of Leo Durocher, Kirby Higbe, Bobo Newsom, and Max Macon. The composer of the new song, Mrs. Clarence Mackay, whom you may know as Anna Case, formerly of the Metropolitan Opera, will attempt to conduct.

("YOU'LL BE SORRY!" roars Alice Dooley.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(5).jpg

(Show her your references, Mary! Leona Stockpool, Angel Varden, Patti Parker. Don't mention Governor Blackston, though, he's still sore about the fire.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(6).jpg

(I can't help but think that this is going to end up on Page Four.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(7).jpg

(Actually, Dan, I think the basic principle goes back to Archimedes.)

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(8).jpg

(Poor Kitty. DENIED AGAIN.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_.jpg

(Could be worse, you could've had to get out of the shower to answer it.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_.jpg

Don't worry, Cameron, the pinch you're about to get will make you forget all about the pinch you got.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(1).jpg

Just do everybody a favor and don't wear a zoot suit to the sentencing.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(2).jpg

Don't mess with the Seabees!

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(3).jpg

"Now stop at this railroad crossing. No, *on* the crossing. DON'T ASK WHY JUST DO IT!"

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(4).jpg

"BUT WHAT ABOUT SANDY? BRAVE HERO DOG GIVING HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY! I'LL NEVER FORGET HIM!"

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(6).jpg

"Never mind the radiation, it's good for you."

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(7).jpg

Well, it's your own fault for not plugging the keyhole.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(8).jpg

"I'm looking ahead, son. You're my contribution to our FUTURE war effort."

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(9).jpg

Honey's been waiting two years to try this.

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(10).jpg

And that's why they call it a block and TACKLE.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh, and...

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(5).jpg

Obviously, Bobby will wipe off his greasepaint glasses, put away his waggly cane and his silly hat, and devote his vacation to deep study of Restoration comedy. But what will Gypsy do? Guest star on "Information Please?" Take over as Federal Food Czar?" Advise the Manhattan Project? Play shortstop for the Dodgers?

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_.jpg

("Yeh," yehs Joe, leaning over the counter as Ma Sweeney mixes his egg cream, "awls well t'at en's well, I guess. T' Ginsboigs is gett'n outa t'hospit'l t'marreh, an' Alice is gonna move in down'neah an' help look afteh'm. No moeh cot inna kitchen, no moeh bangin' aroun' inna midl'a night. Ahhh, it's gonna be swell -- well, c'ep f'one t'ing, I can't get t'is boid Sal brung home t'tawk. See, t'Ginsboig's boid din' make it when t'gas leaked, an' we got'm a new one, an' figgeh t'ey won' know t'diff'nce. But t' ol' one could tawk, an'nis one jus' sits te'h, don' say a woid. Hey, Ma, you wouldn' know nut'n 'bout makin' a boid tawk, wouldja?" "No, Joseph," shrugs Ma, as she slides the glass over to Joe. "Oi've found in faaact that a baarrd that tawks too much can get in trooble." "What?" "Indeed." Joe absorbs the point and glances down at the paper laid out before him. "Hey, now, lookit who's back inna news. Abe Frosch, remembeh him? Bail bonds, t'numbehs -- hey, wasn' his mutteh mixed up innawlat stuff too? 'Magine t'at, a sweet ol' mutteh, a nice ol' lady, awl mixed up inna rackets. Hawrd t'b'lieve, ain' it. "Yes indeed, Joseph," nods Ma with her kindliest smile, "soomtimes it's much bettarr farr a barrd not to talk.")

Re the Boston jewelry store robbery. Sure it's wrong, but there's also something almost comforting in a "continuity with the pre-war world" way when being a jewel thief was a respectable career for an ambitious criminal.

Joe and Ma dance beautifully together. Also, I love that they are trying so hard to get the bird to talk so that the Ginsbergs won't know that their bird died - it's such a nice thing to do.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, supreme Allied commander in North Africa, personally intervened in the French situation to ask that General Henri Honore Giraud be retained as French military commander in an effort to avoid impeding the war effort, it was revealed today by Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Speaking in the House of Commons, Mr. Churchill stated that Gen. Eisenhower's request was backed by the full authority of the United States and British Governments, and was made solely on military and not political grounds. Churchill said that on June 19th, General Eisenhower met personally with Gen. Giraud and Gen. Charles de Gaulle, the French co-leader, for their personal assurance that "there would be no change in the French command in North Africa at this time." Mr. Churchill further explained that the British Government intends to take no side in French political arguments, and that there was no intention in General Eisenhower's intervention to imply that he is invested with full control over the non-military political administration of North Africa.

France is an all but conquered country that is being freed by the English and American forces, so does the "Free French" leadership have to be such PITAs about it.

As simple thank you without kicking up a dust storm would be nice.
IyRY.gif

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(1).jpg

(I thought MacPhail took care of this last year. And it certainly isn't like Rickey to walk past a nickel on the sidewalk.)

2023 Taylor Swift can sympathize.

The end of uncontrolled independent fundraising for war-related causes is near, with an agreement by 16 major philanthropic agencies to combine their efforts into a single, unified drive to meet New York City's $17,000,000 quota in the coming $125,000,000 National War Fund campaign. The drive, scheduled to begin on October 1st, will be led by Emil Schramm, chairman of the New York City National War Front Committee and head of the New York Stock Exchange, with John D. Rockefeller Jr. serving as honorary chairman. Wintrhop W. Aldrich has been appointed nationwide head of the National War Fund campaign, aided by Prescott S. Bush as vice-chairman. Mayor LaGuardia stated today that he is happy to cooperate with the local campaign, and predicted that New York City will exceed its quota.

Prescott S. Bush would, one day, be the father of one and grandfather of another president of the United States.

The Pay As You Go income tax law takes effect today, but wage earners will go on until next week before seeing the impact on their pay envelopes. The 20 percent withholding tax will go into force with the first full pay period of the month, with a basic exemption of $12 a week for individual wage earners, and $24 for heads of households. An additional $6 exemption will apply for every dependent up to the age of 18. If a husband and wife are both working, they may split the $24 exemption, or the one earning the most may claim it with the other taking the individual exemption of $12. To figure the amount of your tax due, subtract the total sum of exemptions from salary and divide by 5. The Victory Tax is included in the amount due each pay period.

fica-friends.gif

The_Brooklyn_Daily_Eagle_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(6).jpg

(I can't help but think that this is going to end up on Page Four.)

And in the Daily News...
Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_.jpg

Don't worry, Cameron, the pinch you're about to get will make you forget all about the pinch you got.

Just where is the line between possessiveness and jealousy?

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(1).jpg

Just do everybody a favor and don't wear a zoot suit to the sentencing.

It was only two years ago that Krupa was acting opposite Barbara Stanwyck in the classic "Ball of Fire."

Daily_News_Thu__Jul_1__1943_(4).jpg

"BUT WHAT ABOUT SANDY? BRAVE HERO DOG GIVING HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY! I'LL NEVER FORGET HIM!"

Gray seems to have forgotten about our intrepid canine hero.

How come Annie's hair didn't get wet?

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Sure it's a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason. As with Taffy in "Terry and the Pirates," these teenage boys would go a bit crazy at seeing a pretty woman after months of fighting side by side with only men. As a former teenage botheir time thinking about two things, girls first and everything else in the world a distant second.

The lack of New York burlesque ads bother me no end Fast. Sophia Loren photo found last night in all her exquisite
glory caught me breathless. She wore an Italian peasant gal dress hands on hips and staring into the camera.
Prolly mid twenties. A punch to the heart. The inner me is still a gawky adolescent so I really sympathize with these
South Pacific guys waking up surrounded by roses in full bloom. wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner