Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fall of the phone

pretty faythe

One Too Many
magic jack

Since this thread is about phones......and the decline.....has anyone tried magic jack in lue of traditional land line service? Supposedly you plug it into your usb and you get a phone line no monthly fees. I'm skeptikal.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
pretty faythe said:
Since this thread is about phones......and the decline.....has anyone tried magic jack in lue of traditional land line service? Supposedly you plug it into your usb and you get a phone line no monthly fees. I'm skeptikal.

You have to have internet service for that to work. and I *think* if the ISP knows you use MJ they charge extra.

It also says you have to pay MJ $19.95/year.

Also your computer has to stay on to use MJ. Its the same as having cable phone (like Charter) and let me tell you. it is not a good thing. if there is a power outage (like seems to be common in my area) then no phone. If you loose internet, no phone. ect.

It sounds good, but not the best for reliability.

Feraud

Bartender
pretty faythe said:

I believe if you travel and/or have relatives living in other countries the Magic Jack can be a cost saver.
But don't quote me on that because I have not worked out the cost! :)
The device could be beneficial for specific uses.

Elaina

One Too Many
My 14 year old sister eats dinner while texting. It's gotten to the point I won't eat with her. My family all has them and it's so bad my mom gave me her candlestick phone/box because I'm the only one that's used it in 25 years. I really feel that if I wanted you to know where I was, I'd call you and tell you, so I never got a cell phone.

I don't go to church, although I take a little old lady and go to pick her up after. The preacher starts it out by reminding everyone it's a house of god, and to put the phones away.

Feathers

Familiar Face
I remember when I was a kid it was a huge deal to get a phone call at the house (and that wasn't very long ago, really!)...And honestly, if I don't answer my phone my friends get really irritated. I call people back at my convenience, which makes me 'antisocial' I suppose. But my time is my time. I'm not getting paid for it, so I do what I will;) .

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Best of Both Worlds"

"I have three dial phones in the house and don't see the point in giving up my principals whilst in transit,"

3800833672_1abd03fc97_m.jpg

"Thank GOD for the Novophone it allows you to have the convenience of a Cell/Mobile, with a chunky handset to tuck under your chin whilst talking, and eating Blinis with caviar, its perfect, do admit?"

3800839700_c8af6524a3_m.jpg

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i dont even know why i have a cell phone anymore. i am 26 years old, but no one ever calls me. the last three calls that i have recieved took (it took two weeks to acumulate three calls) was an automated ups messaging system telling me i need to be home to sign for a package. having no one to talk to doesnt help the process either :(

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Feathers said:
And honestly, if I don't answer my phone my friends get really irritated. I call people back at my convenience, which makes me 'antisocial' I suppose. But my time is my time. I'm not getting paid for it, so I do what I will;) .

I do exactly what you do. I have a cell phone, but if I'm having dinner, or out with people, I do not answer by default. I believe the people you are with in person take priority over phone calls. My phone will go to voicemail, and if it's important, the person will leave a message, and I will get back to them as soon as I'm done.

Dr Doran

ScionPI2005 said:
I do exactly what you do. I have a cell phone, but if I'm having dinner, or out with people, I do not answer by default. I believe the people you are with in person take priority over phone calls. My phone will go to voicemail, and if it's important, the person will leave a message, and I will get back to them as soon as I'm done.

I approve.

Feathers

Familiar Face
As do I!

...and to quote the lovely Kate Winslet, "You supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake!"

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have never owned a cellphone. Why, when no one would actually call me? They'd all just text me, then I'd have to text them back, then I'd have no money. Besides, I don't want people to be able to reach me day and night, wherever I may be. Phone my house, and if I'm not there, leave a message. I'll get back to you when its convenient.

When people ask me for my number, I give it to them telling them its a landline. Then I'll get a call at night, and a funny sound will play out of the receiver, and I'll know they tried to text my home phone.

Why would someone phone you when they can just look on Twitter or Facebook and know precisely what you're doing? I once made a Facebook account to escape pressure from my friends. I hated it. When a very long relationship I was in ended acrimoniously, I wanted to tell my friends about it when I was ready - but it turns out they already knew. Why? My ex changed his Facebook status!

Anyone who is not willing to exert themselves for my friendship by calling me to get together, is not a real friend.

klind65

One of the Regulars
I had a mobile phone when they first came out, but people were always calling me! I hated it.:) It's like being a doctor always on call. No peace. Then there's the embarrasment of having the wretched thing go off in the theatre or at some other inopportune moment. Besides, I kept losing it and once, one was stolen. I haven't had one for years and prefer it that way. I absolutely abominate those cretans who blabber their private conversations at maximum volumne on public transport for all to hear. I keep wanting to say, " we don't need or want to know about your sex life or your bank account". Obviously, there needs to be some mobile phone etiquette established and enforced for those who lack sufficient reserve and common sense.
I also remember with fondness the old telephone boxes whose doors one could close bestowing privacy and quiet for one's conversation. Very civilized. I mourned their demise and replacement with these ,...how shall I put it..."phone stalls". I have tried to use one and it is impossible to hear anything over the traffic. Very UNcivilized. I resorted to simply going into a hotel to use a phone.
A related point: I remember the days before we had caller ID ; I used to enjoy wondering who called, a little mystery- albeit if it didn't have to do with work or business.
So, I'm resisting with all my power the inevitable day when I will be forced, I suppose, to have a mobile once again.
But then, perhaps we can all develop our dormant telepathic abilities and simply send and receive messages without the assistance of any device at all!!:D :D

Jack Armstrong

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
That is rude. A co-worker told me how people are texting in church during service.

I can top that. I was at a funeral, and during the service, some idiot's cell phone started buzzing away. He fumbled around from pocket to pocket, and when he finally found the phone, he didn't just turn it off, he had to answer it and tell the caller that he couldn't reply just now.

As for me -- my wife has a TracPhone, for emergency use only. I don't own a cell phone, but there's one built in to my car (Chevy HHR), again for emergency use only. Cellphone culture (or lack of it) has gotten way out of hand.

BegintheBeguine

Popularity

Am I weird? I like when people call me. I still sit by the telephone hoping someone will call. I'm in the book! Why hasn't anyone called? Is this phone working? Yes, I'm just terribly alone and forgotten. By the same token, when someone does call, or answers when I call, and we're out on the town then I don't answer the cell phone if it rings unless it's a family member which is rare (might be an emergency) or it's hubby is calling from Iraq which I hate to miss and I'm entitled. I also don't turn off either telephone at home even when I'm asleep for these reasons. Who knows, the bogeyman might come in and I'll need to touch 911 (not dial, my downstairs phone wired into the wall has quit dialing for some reason. The upstairs dial phone still dials, however so it's not a phone company switch to digital.)

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Once in a while he won't call, but it's all in the game.
The reason people text is simple: everywhere is so loud nowadays you can't hear someone talking on the telephone, even at home.

Dr Doran

Jack Armstrong said:
I can top that. I was at a funeral, and during the service, some idiot's cell phone started buzzing away. He fumbled around from pocket to pocket, and when he finally found the phone, he didn't just turn it off, he had to answer it and tell the caller that he couldn't reply just now.

I think you should have held a funeral for THAT jerk, immediately afterward.

Feathers

Familiar Face
Seriously, what is WRONG with people? Everyone is so wrapped up in their own 'stuff'...My own customers at my store have commented on the rudeness of others (though it's difficult for me to say anything outloud in front of customers) and I completely agree. They order their coffee after acting as though WE are interrupting them and then apologize to the person on the phone. The nerve!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy