Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Few

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

Personally, if I could afford an expensive A-2 repro now (simply not possible after a year of enforced four-day work weeks, and with one kid in college and another only a year from starting!), I'd go with one of John's rather than a foreign maker. And I see John has recently been branching out into other types of jackets besides A-2s...

I hear you.
Personally I prefer to buy a US made jacket, but the style that I looking for( J23) is not made yet by Goodwear.
And the US manufacturers that it makes the J 23 don't carry the HH in that colour finish, and don't have interest in getting it and or make the jacket for me.

Edward

Bartender
andy richards said:
Hi 1087,
Just noticed they are based in New Zealand...

Really? I thought it was Japan - or do they manufacture in NZ for the Japanese market?

I have a vague notion there was some sort of relationship between The Few and Real McCoys / Real McCoys New Zealand (Japan and NZ entities - not quite sure whether they are still the same company).... but I don't recall the details. Some of the jacket guys round here will know, though.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Many thanks for the links, deluxestyling

I always like to see a jacket on a real person, not just a hanger or mannequin. The grain shown in the detail photos is great, and (as with The Wild Ones 50s jacket) I love the stitching. I wonder what weight hide is used? Any one here have a clue? I could ask for myself, of course, but once I make contact the urge to splurge may become too great, LOL

Preacher

New in Town
1087:
Try Brooks Leather in Michigan. I have their 511 that I bought in 1979, still going strong, although it is semi retired until either I shrink, or it stretches.
They make a "Brando" style,(#711) a bit more modern than the Few, but a good jacket none the less. Unless someone else has mentioned it, you also might look at Schott. I know they make steerhide. Both are American Made.
hope this helps, welcome to the lounge.
Blessings

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Really? I thought it was Japan - or do they manufacture in NZ for the Japanese market?

I have a vague notion there was some sort of relationship between The Few and Real McCoys / Real McCoys New Zealand (Japan and NZ entities - not quite sure whether they are still the same company).... but I don't recall the details. Some of the jacket guys round here will know, though.

It's quite interesting what you said about The Few and Real McCoys!
I just got an E-Mail back from them, and interestingly it comes from Real McCoys, they said that it was passed to them because the Few people are in a trade show in Japan until next week.
Nevertheless they said that they used that material finish and don't have it at the present time,they said they are willing to offer something else in the meantime, until the Few people comes back from Japan.
So, if they don't have that material avail I'm off the market.

One of the Regulars
Preacher said:
1087:
Try Brooks Leather in Michigan. I have their 511 that I bought in 1979, still going strong, although it is semi retired until either I shrink, or it stretches.
They make a "Brando" style,(#711) a bit more modern than the Few, but a good jacket none the less. Unless someone else has mentioned it, you also might look at Schott. I know they make steerhide. Both are American Made.
hope this helps, welcome to the lounge.
Blessings

Thanks for the welcome Preacher!
I do have a 70's Schott Perfecto in steerhide already.

John Lever

One Too Many
I have two jackets by The Few, a B-2 and an M445. Both are superb and probably about the best in terms of materials and construction. Leathers are typically vegetable tanned and hand finished.
The Few are the speciality branch of Real McCoy's and are primarily aimed at the Japanese market.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
"Nevertheless they said that they used that material finish and don't have it at the present time,they said they are willing to offer something else in the meantime, until the Few people comes back from Japan." --1087

That's very interesting. The response implies that they would make the Buco for you even though they don't have the particular hide you want at the moment. If you look at their website http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cata.html you'll see that motorcycle jackets aren't what they normally do. I don't blame you for liking that leather finish. It reminds me of some of the finishes Eastman used at one time.

One of the Regulars
John Lever said:
I have two jackets by The Few, a B-2 and an M445. Both are superb and probably about the best in terms of materials and construction. Leathers are typically vegetable tanned and hand finished.
The Few are the speciality branch of Real McCoy's and are primarily aimed at the Japanese market.

Many thanks for your feedback!
So both companies are related then.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:

It's still the same company, based in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt