Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Future Of Fashion?

Jay

Practically Family
Since I 've started to wear suits to school on Fridays at school (Its entering its sixth month) people have been giving me non stop compiments. Now recently we've had to fill out papers to vote for stuff like class athelete and such and I'm told I'm gonna win best dressed in a land slide. A couple weeks ago, people I know, and some I don't are telling me they want a 3 piece suit and a hat. Tommarow there will be 7 people joining me with a bunch more who want to but don't have suits. The more I tell them about old fashions and how suits used to be cut to be comfortable enough for everyday wear, and hats were made to stand up in the rain, they seem to want an action back suit as bad as I do.
My point being?
I think the casual phase of dressing is finally wearing off, and people might start to dress nice again. Just a thought.
Jay

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Keep up the good work Jay. Maybe it will rub off on more than just a few. I'm trying the same thing at work. A Civil Engineering office can be quite casual most of the time. A little bit at a time I think I can get some of them to dress better. Here's to hoping the Golden Era of dress comes back.

Cheers!

Dan

Jay said:
I think the casual phase of dressing is finally wearing off, and people might start to dress nice again. Just a thought.
Jay

One of my favorite books from the '40s is titled Fashion is Spinach, a Golden Era way of saying "fashion is bulls_ _ _". Everything comes back into style sooner or later. You may be right about the casual phase wearing off, but don't count on permanent change. In any case, enjoy your celebrity!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Business Casual = Ugh!!!

Jay, glad to hear someone is carrying the well dressed fashion torch at school .
back in the 1960's in public high school jeans were, forget it you just didn't wear them & we wore button down shirts/rep ties all the time. Looking well dressed was common & today the way people dress is "common" (sic)!

Dan I've worked in a local goverment office for years & it is very rare to ever see an engineer or architect show up in a tie or anything more than kakis/golf shirt outfit. so me walking around with 1940's ties etc. on freaks them out!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Solid Citizen said:
Jay, glad to hear someone is carrying the well dressed fashion torch at school .
back in the 1960's in public high school jeans were, forget it you just didn't wear them & we wore button down shirts/rep ties all the time.
Back in the early '60s, the dress code of the school district (suburban Washington DC) I attended forbade pants for girls (except when it snowed, or when attending extracurricular sports events), jeans (termed "Levis" in the rule book) were forbidden, period, for both boys and girls, except for football games. Of course, T shirts were out of the question except for gym class or athletic meets. We had a "heel and tie day" once a month, mostly coinciding with special occasions such as Christmas assemblies and presentations of honors, where kids from 7th grade up dressed up in Sunday clothes deemed proper then.

I was appalled last year when I attended my niece's wedding and saw some people turn up in shorts and sandals for the church ceremony, even if it was Hawai'i. The birde's friends looked "over-dressed" in pretty dresses, compared to the groom's friends, while all of the immediate family were dressed appropriately (in suits, ties and dresses-since it was in the evening, no hats).

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
But thank goodness for the 50's twist on clothing this last year. At least it got girls in skirts that weren't either butt-tight or super minis.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Well done Jay. I for one certainly hope this is trend away from...how shall I say it? Boys with their underwear hanging out and girls doing their best plumber imitation. I'm no stick in the mud but good gravy, some of this stuff is TOO much. Especially some of the more revealing stuff young ladies wear.

LaMedicine, I remember many times my Mom and Dad speaking of these types of rules when they were in highschool in the early 50's. They wouldn't have dreamed of even going to the movies without something better than blue jeans on.

Lauren, your comments are well taken AND appreciated. If most young ladies realized how absolutely classy they would look it they dressed like your avatar, I daresay we'd see a return to style poste haste. BTW, that photo in your avatar is simply smashing.

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
I dont think dressing sharp ever went out of style. But dressing sharp as an everyday normal thing like back before the late 60's, (when hippies and that whole cultural revolution at that time changed everything and made dressing down the norm)...is something you wont see.
Before then, people wore suits and shoes, like people today wear t-shirts and sneakers. Just look at when you see older senior citizens always dressed to the nines all the time. Thats cause they are from that era.
But its not just that,...society itself has changed,..everything is down to the lowest common denominator.
Not just in clothing,...but in music, and in restaurants, and in cars, in public works, ..etc, etc.
And even if everyone started dressing sharp,...todays fabrics and cuts and tailoring doesnt hold a candle to vintage clothing.
The craftsmenship aint there. Its a lost art. Heck, never mind that,....the fabrics themselves arent even loomed the same! It would be too expensive!
Just like making cars out of steel and shiny chrome again, instead of plastic and fiberglass.
Not likely.

But the vintage influence is definately making its way,..slowly,..so i guess thats better than nothing.

EL C.

The way vintage style is thrown together with modern pieces reminds me of the scene in Beneath the Planet of the Apes where the mutants are worshipping the H-bomb. Somewhere along the line it got all mixed up and people think such outrageous behavior is normal. So what's going to happen in ten years time? Double-breasted suits with sneakers? (but David Letterman had that covered twenty years ago) Sharkskin suits with Kangol hats? EC is right, poorly loomed fabric will never look sharp and the good stuff is just WAY too expensive for the average joe/jane. If getting dressed does come back, it may be people in suits again but what good is it if they have as much crease as a burlap bag?

Regards,

Senator JacK

Mycroft

One Too Many
Well, a note on school clothing, I gotta where a uniform, which I am ok with after 6 years of whering, but it doesn't look nice chinos and golf shirt, I would rather where an oxford shirt, tie, and nice slacks. I hate my uniform, but now they let us where oxfords, but with the school logo.

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
Well, a note on school clothing, I gotta where a uniform, which I am ok with after 6 years of whering, but it doesn't look nice chinos and golf shirt, I would rather where an oxford shirt, tie, and nice slacks. I hate my uniform, but now they let us where oxfords, but with the school logo.

When I was in high school (mumble years ago), they were re-doing the uniform from the old '70s model. There was a lot of support in my year to bring back hats, gloves, ties (it was a girls only school)... But we were turned down because it was "an unnecessary expense for parents". :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo