Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gangster (Hat) Squad.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
My sound card is not working on this comp...Sooo this trailer absolutly knocked me out....I want it on DVD....That Mickey Cohen period just before "Hollywood Confidential" started is a story that in the right hands could really be a epic film...
Besides that...its a veritable Chorus Line of great looking hats...:)

Just off the bat Brolins hat knocked me out and I saw a Thin Ribbon that was a killer....I'm going to need some more time with this trailer and propably a vacation with the DVD to check out those 'Sky-Pieces"...;)

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
It's too bad they didn't use music from that era because there's so much good stuff!
hopefully in the actual film they will either use period music or music that sounds period....I always hate it when they don't think the music is important enough to be figured in to their vison...sometimes and I don't want to mention a film...but they have a great film and then just hire a great composer and then it becomes obvious that every great composer can't nessecarily handle 30's 40's, or 50's music....for some Directors music is an after-thought....I hope that won't be the case here...There appears to be so much talent and a great story here...I can't wait...

Not to harp too much on this tangent but there is little difference between gangster and gangsta. Both are leeches on society. The only difference being we tend to romanticize one based time(distance from events) and clothing. Extortion, murder, robbery, etc. should be frowned upon no matter how the crook is dressed.

Oh and the trailer looks pretty good. Josh Brolin seems to attach himself to good work (M.I.B. 3 notwithstanding..)

There you go gettin' all real world on our a#$es.

As to the movie itself ... Judging from the trailer, it looks like swell family entertainment.

JAVIER

Practically Family
So looking forward to this film, I'm pumped after seeing the trailer, any idea as to release date?
The music does not really fit, but it did not bother me, they are in the businesses of making money and having Jay Z's song makes the connection and modern appeal, and allows more films to be made by popularity and keep fedora alive.
Anyhow, Now I can't sleep after seeing this, can't wait to run to the big screen!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm... having a hard time breathing here...
it's from Ruben Fleischer's blog
tumblr_lpord9q7vd1qz6eg8o1_1280.jpg

Juliet

A-List Customer
That's the one thing that irks me, no release date.
Official site states:
"Opening October 12, 2012, “The Gangster Squad” will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures."

Maltravers

New in Town
New trailer today -
[video=youtube;aqqkDuv-cXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqqkDuv-cXo[/video]

I for one am really looking forward to this. Yes, it definitely seems to be marketed towards the generic action movie crowd, and it probably won't be as good as LA Confidential, but I'm always in the mood for a 1940s LA gangster/noir/action film. Unless it's The Black Dahlia, but I doubt this will be THAT bad. Gangster Squad seems like it's putting a lot of emphasis on re-creating the time and the place, which will probably be enjoyable by itself.

CSG

Familiar Face
Some of my least favorite actors, especially Penn. I'll pass and watch the originals instead.

hutch

Familiar Face
I wonder if or how this movie will influence the fashion industry. It seems to me when the other "Gangster" movies of the late 80's and 90's came out there weren't many people wearing fedora's. I know many of today's fedora hat wearers are into the more modern styles.I am curious to see if the recent movies set in the 40's-50's will help to bring back the more "classic" fedora styles. Or better yet, hopefully the "slim fit" suit trend that looks like men are wearing a suit size too small will end. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner