Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ghost of RM

dr greg

One Too Many
I'm now convinced the ghost of RM Williams himself walks beside me, yesterday I picked up my third pair of RMW Craftsman boots, exactly my size and freshly soled and heeled, for $6, making it a hat trick in the last 6 months or so for a total cost of less than $A40. They'll see me out I think....
aaahatvw8.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doc, it looks like RM wants to make sure his boots go to an appreciative home and is watching over the task himself! Sturdy Aussie footwear indeed.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
One of the best shoes I've ever purchased. I have odd shaped feet, wide with a narrow heel, and these fit me as well as some custom made boots I own. A little difficult to get in the States though. I like the ones with the screwed and glued soles.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
A few years ago I was admiring some boots in a saddler’s window which seemed a fair price.

I went in and tried on many pairs of boots with the help of a very helpful (and pretty) Assistant until I found a pair that fitted the best.

When I went to pay I realized that the pair I had chosen were not the ones in the window and were twice the price!

Not wishing to look tight I paid up and tried not to look surprised when I was told the price.

The boots? R M Williams.

I wear them a lot (even had the leather soles and heals replaced when I wore them out) and have to say they were worth every penny. The extra expense was worth it in the end.

James.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Dr Greg!

I live in RM Williams Blaxland boots and have done for years. I honestly will not wear another pair of boots unless I'm hiking. Also the most comfortable boots/shoes ever invented as far as I am concerned.

I'll be looking at picking up another pair when we move to Melbourne mid this year.

Best boots full stop!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
:eek:fftopic: Hey Smithy, you're coming back? Great!

:eek:fftopic: Sure are Benny and very excited about it too!

And being cricket mad I'm looking forward to spending a lot of long summer's days at the MCG :D

And I'll be able to pop up to Sydney to see you guys play too!

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:

And being cricket mad I'm looking forward to spending a lot of long summer's days at the MCG :D

Maybe when I'm in Trondheim next month you can explain cricket to me. I watched it on TV for an hour once in Pretoria and still had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
That's because you didn't watch it long enough. Be patient. To have absolutely, definitely so idea whatsoever about what the @*?! is going on you need to watch a two day test match...

Alan

Benny Holiday

Smithy said:

It's been a good season here with India playing. Australia won by 50 runs on Sunday, not that I need to tell you Smithy, no doubt you've been keeping an eye on the cricket!

I'll probably be down in Melbourne in the 2nd half of the year for some gigs. Man I love that city! There's supposed to be huge rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne, but I've yet to meet a Sydneysider who doesn't love a week or two punting, drinking, shopping or digging the arts in Melbourne!

We'll be all the richer for having you back in Oz, mate!

dr greg

One Too Many
A tale of two cities

I just did a few gigs in melbourne, not having set foot there for at least 7 years, and not played there for 30. It's got a much better vibe than Sydney these days...I put it down to the public transport working, so everybody isn't as frazzled. I couldn't wait to get out of Sydney last time. It has to have the worst traffic in the supposedly civilised world.

Benny Holiday

Don't forget the pollution mate . . . I get out of Sydney for a while, and when I come back I start sneezing as soon as I get off the plane or drive east of the Blue Mountains.

A day on or around the Harbour tends to cure my gripes, though . . . :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
We'll be all the richer for having you back in Oz, mate!

Thanks Benny. You're too kind!

And RockBottom, I'll give it a go but it is complicated if you don't come from a country where you've grown up on it, due to all the historical references and arcana that surround the game. But we should be able to get the general rules and what's going on down pat.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Smithy said:
Thanks Benny. You're too kind!

And RockBottom, I'll give it a go but it is complicated if you don't come from a country where you've grown up on it, due to all the historical references and arcana that surround the game. But we should be able to get the general rules and what's going on down pat.

Hey- don't be too quick to get all fuzzy and sentimental about it- I fully remember that rock hard red leather ball of terror flying straight at me at full tilt way back when I was little tacker growing up in Melbourne and then they expected me to stop it's desperate flight! You're joking! And- i'm certain that all the beer I can consume up in the grandstand won't help me enjoy it anymore today or get over it (well it might help a bit anyway).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RM Williams...

Fell in love with them 15 years ago with my first pair (Gardners, which are now called Yard Boots I think!). Lived in them and only about a year ago did they develop a split of the leather coming away at the inside sole, so cannot be fixed sadly. So now relegated to gardening and dog walks!! Have now got a pair of Craftsmen which I wore most of the time in the US. But that deal of three pairs for $40 is AMAZING!! and the Baron struck lucky too!! (I clocked them in the photo of you wearing the jungle shorts!! very nice indeedy).
SHOES003.jpg

Rest In Peace (my beauties!)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You'll think I'm insane then Andrew but I'm looking at playing club cricket when I get back. I played for 9 years (only stopped when I did my rotator cuff in - fast bowler so not much use after that) and miss playing enormously. Still can't bowl more than an over without the RC getting the twitch but I can still throw the willow around.

Still got all my pads, gloves, bat and cricket shoes in storage back home. Might be worth getting a new helmet though now you mention it ;)

Windsock

A-List Customer
I have had many pairs over the years but only one at the moment- Kangaroo Craftsman which the sides are getting tired.
I now wear the equivalent in the Blundstones for work, not locally made anymore (extremely unfortunate) but still great quality and value.

Smithy, clear your mailbox pls mate and sorry to hear you are such a Cricket nut :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner