Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The GREATEST Menswear Store Ever?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Some more info on the layout of the OVIATT'S store ...

In Oviatt's day, two floors and the mezzanine of the 12-story building--as tall as a building could then legally be in Los Angeles- -were given over to luxury goods displayed against a backdrop of marble, burled wood and art glass. On the first floor were sweaters, shirts and hats, and on the second were Oviatt's custom clothes, suits of superb European fabric and cut, as well as shoes, riding clothes and leather goods. Some were laid out in what the opening- day announcement called the "Outdoor California Palm Grove," which "enhances the charm of the shop and permits the inspection of clothing in natural daylight." Remember that the entire ceiling was made of Lalique glass, so that the colors of clothes could be seen as they actually looked. It's a crime that so many stores nowadays have flourescent lighting, which gives a totally false impression of colors.

The OVIATT'S building and its rooftop tower, with the first outdoor electric clock in Los Angeles:

dt_oviatt.jpg
tower_kiss.jpg
clock.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Below are some photos of James Oviatt's ten-room penthouse apartment, located on the 12th floor and roof of his store's building. The rooms featured burled mahogany furniture and cabinets, parquet wood floors in geometric patterns, carved woodwork, imported fabrics and Lalique glass throughout. Oviatt built a playhouse on the rooftop for his wife's daughter and their son, James Oviatt Jr.

11_square.jpg

9_square.jpg

12_square.jpg

livingroom_painting.jpg

history.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
One final anecdote ...

In 1945, James Oviatt spotted a 22-year-old saleswoman in his store named Mary Richards. The decisive store owner summoned her to his penthouse and proposed marriage. On her way back down in the elevator, Miss Richards calculated how much merchandise she had on layaway. (By the '40s, the store was also selling a limited selection of ladies' apparel.)

The next day, Mary Richards answered Mr. Oviatt's proposal by sending all her purchases -- along with a hefty bill -- to her new fiance's penthouse.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh brother, that's great! lol What a gal she must have been!

Say, those are some great photos Marc! Also, on a side note, Oviatt's was the first Art Deco structure in LA from what I hear.

Marc, was this building built before the Alexander merger in 1928?

=WR=

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a lot, Marc! Now that I've seen those fine clothes I hate everything I own...;)

That knit waistcoat is wonderful. Never seen anything like it.

Seriously, this is a great thread! It must have been good to be one of the "beautiful people" back then. And by beautiful I mean stinking filthy rich of course.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree, this is one of the best threads we've had.

This is really fascinating. It's the way clothes should be studied! Connecting the history, to the people, to the architecture, to the clothing. Well, done! Ain't history the best? :p

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Thank you, Mr. Chevalier!

And a tip of the fedora for good measure!
What a great post!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
I loved the suit in the pictures pictures.
Pretty ritzy for a race track bookie!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, that's a nice little chunk of change for a Depression year! And you know the sad thing is there are suits being custom made today that are in a price range that is comparable today to the 1938 Oviatt price, you could by a nice car or a suit type of comparison. However, the fit and craftsmanship isn't very close to what Oviatt's offered in 1938!!! Can make a man cry!

=WR=

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Marc,

Bravo! :eusa_clap Thanks for making this post. The photos, stories and information are all wonderful. I'm blown away by the beautiful clothes and the Art Deco furnishings. Wow. I wonder where they all went. There's got to be a treasure trove of them around here somewhere, just waiting to be discovered.

Ed

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So this is the Cicada Club where Maxwell DeMille holds his events! Waaaaay cool! really, it's an absobloominlutely amazing miracle the place still exists, given that it's in the City of Angels. I'm about to make an offer on a gorgeous 1937 Deco apartment in Da Bronx, and those pix of Ovaitt's apartment are highly inspiring. I'll see what I can come up with in lieu of Lalique. Maybe Plastique?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112