Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Check Vampires: 1943

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I just don't trust that the coat check person knows how to handle a lid -- not to mention how it might be crammed onto a shelf or treated in a neglectful way.

Cheers,
JtL

I was at a catered affair recently, and handed my coat and fedora to the coat check girl. She handed me one of the numbered tags, left one on the hanger of my coat, and then proceeded to try to jam another one under the ribbon of my hat! I almost went through the roof. I told her not to do that and she said, how would she know that it was my hat, although it was the only fedora amongst the 200 or so people there. I told her to place the hat upside down ona shelf and drop the tag into it. She looked at me like I was crazy. And never mind that she had no clue what that wouldve done to the ribbon if left there for 5 hours.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
There was a 1933 tell-all memoir called In Your Hat, written by Rennee Carroll, "at Check Girl to the Stars for years at NYC's Sardi's restaurant. I've been featuring it a chapter at a time at Cladrite Radio.

Here's the first chapter.

inyourhatcover1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner