Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hat of Lt. Col. Dewey E. Albright, pilot in the 387th Bombardment Group.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
This was my very first vintage hat, when I was a newbie here back in December. It's a Borsalino Savona from a store in Ohio, in mint condition. I never attached an age to it, because I didn't know much when I first got it. But recently, I figured it was worth a shot to flip down the sweatband to find the paper tag with the numbers, that's used to determine age. I ended up finding a whole lot more than I bargained for. I found a name. And it wasn't just any name; it was a name with the title Lieutenant Colonel in front of it. Lt. Col. Dewey E. Albright of the United States Air Force, to be exact. I rushed to search the history of Lt. Col. Albright, and I was surprised to find record of him in multiple sources. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross for "extraordinary achievement against the enemy" while he served in 387th Bombardment Group during WW2. He was born, and died in Ohio. This was also posted in the Hat forum's 'Ohio Thread', but I figure I can also ask our resident WW2 history buff population what they know of the 387th Bombardment Group, and of Mister Albright (from a more historical than hat-centric perspective). Have at it guys!

Thanks,

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Brief 387th BG history

They were known as "The Tiger Tails" and "The Tigerstripe Maruaders" they flew the B-26 Marauder medium bomber and were assigned to both the 8th and 9th AAF's during thier combat ops, thier Squadrons were,556th,557th,558th and the 559th.
I'm sure if you googled the unit you will find a history site/s about them, try 387thBG.org etc

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I've made some progress in my search since I've done the initial research. I've had a new member here PM me. She claims to be Dewey's granddaughter. I don't think she's been active here since she PM'd me, but maybe she'll see this and chime in.

Also, I've managed to backtrack to the seller whom I bought the hat from on ebay. She remembers buying it three years ago in Newark from an estate or auction. Col. Albright lived in Newark, so I'd say it's safe to say it was purchased from his family, possibly his granddaughter?

I'll continue to update this with any information I find. With any luck, I'll be able to contact his family. This should be interesting.

Cheers,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Here's a copy of the PM that was sent to me.

dewey's granddaughter said:
Dewey Albright

Hello,

I'm writing because I believe you have purchased a hate that belonged to my grandfather. When I was looking up information on line a link to this forum and thread popped up. My granddad was very proud of his air force days and being a pilot. He worked for the Columbus Dispatch until retired. I also know that joined the U.S. Air Force in 1942 and flew combat in Martin B26’s in Europe where he received the theater ribbons, DFC, Purple Heart, 5 Air Medal, and the Presidential Unit Citation. He also served in Korea from 1952 – 1953.

I don't know if you were looking for much else but I wanted to share that you had my granddad's hat.

Sincerely,
Angela

I have not spoken to Angela since, but so far this appears to be a tangible lead. I wonder how she was able to PM me with 0 posts, though. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic