Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The History/Evolution of Birth Control *Ladies Only*

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I did have concerns about the hormones on the myrena, but my doctor said they were not equivalent to the pill or similar, at all. The sponges are great though, you can buy small ones or just a big one and cut pieces of as needed, that worked out as more economical. Then you can either throw them away or wash with detergent and boiling water after and then rinse with vinegar. x

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
ok thought I'd put my two cents worth in as well. I've used quite a few birth control methods over the last 25 years.

I would like to add that my husband recently had a vasectomy so birth control is now no longer an issue, however, I'm type 1 diabetic and the effect periods have on my blood sugar control are extreme and reducing the number of periods I have and control over when they arrive is why I've gone back on the pill.

"The Pill" used many types with varying degrees of success. Earliest ones were too strong and sent me a little psycho currently on a low dose pill that seems to be working well, no hormonal crazyness and no weight gain. It's called Yaz, quite a bit more expensive here than the usual pill. Approx $70AUD for 3 months in comparison to other pills which are the usual price of a prescription of approx $35 for 3 months worth.

Depo Provera - huge weight gain, loss of libido, evened out moods so much I didn't care about anything lol

Implanon - awesome, amazing, wonderful....for just over 12 months when I started bleeding and was having a period that lasted 3 weeks and then would come back again a week later... for another 3 weeks, as mentioned above this had major consequences on my blood sugar levels and I seemed to be low constantly.

Nuvaring - tried it and within days was weepy, tired, hormonal and cramping, and I didn't like how it felt, went back to feeling fine within days of removing it.

Mirena is the only one I haven't tried, but as I'd recently been through hell and back with the Implanon and the Nuvaring I wasn't keen to try anything else invasive also my husband was considering the vasectomy and I wanted more control over my periods.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Depo-Provera injections and implants yet! I'm a little evangelical about depo so you'll have to forgive my enthusiasm! I have an injection every 11-12 weeks, I have NO periods, I can't get pregnant and I can take it until menopause with no significantly increased health risks even though I smoke. When my GP would no longer give me the pill (they are very reluctant to give it to over 35s because of the blood-clotting risks) I thought my life was over - I had terrible terrible periods before I was on the pill and I don't want children either so I was terrified frankly. Depo has changed my life.

I hate to bring thing us but Depo-Provera does have serious side effects, so much so that no doctor should prescribe it to you if you've been on it two years. I was on it for 1 and a half years and decided to stop using it because my body was feeling the effect of having large amounts of hormones in it. I discussed it with my doctor and she agreed I should stop anyway as 2 years is the maximum term someone should be on the injection due to severely high levels of osteoporosis as a result of the injection. I researched it and it is scary just how many have young girls have significantly lower bone density after being on Depo. There is a whole huge debate going on at the moment about irresponsible doctors who allow patients to be on the injection for longer and sometimes over 7 years.

Maybe it's different because you're over 35 though, I'm not sure.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I think it is different for older women - all the research I did on the internet before I went on it did suggest there was an increased risk of osteoporosis the longer you stayed on it though. I considered that a risk worth taking at this point. I didn't find any research suggesting any connection with blood clots. My GP insists that I can stay on it until I am past child-bearing age with no proven associated health-risks. I have a good friend who was on it for 7 years in her 20s due to endometriosis and she has had no ill effects in the intervening decade and went on to have 2 children. I think the risks have to be weighed up against the benefits and that varies between individuals. An 'increased risk' of something is not the same as an inevitable direct cause.

Whoever mentioned the weight gain was right but I didn't mind that. The libido thing may well be true but as I am on anti-depressants I have no libido anyway so I can't tell the difference sadly!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
My doctor talked to me about the osteoporosis, and suggested that after 5 years I have a bone density scan. I was about due for that when I got the mirena.

Weight gain, yes (but mostly attributable to being in a steady relationship with a foody), slight loss of libido (could be attributable to being in my 30s and in a long-term relationship). But totally acceptable for the bliss of no periods, no babies and none of the mood swings I had on the pill and when my body was left to its own devices!

I will be 41 when the Mirena is due to come out, and then I will have my tubes tied.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
HepKitty said:
no mess? that is brilliant!

Yes, apparently you just use a small bit of sea sponge (dampen it first). It's apparently barely detectable for your partner as well. You can often buy sea sponges for internal use at whole foods markets.

I've heard that copper IUDs cause a lot of cramping at first but you get used to them. that and no hormones, I could deal. don't have a reason to try it yet though

I have several friends who have recently gotten IUDs and they all love them.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
40'sfetish said:
I'm type 1 diabetic and the effect periods have on my blood sugar control are extreme and reducing the number of periods I have and control over when they arrive is why I've gone back on the pill.

Me too! Fortunately, I do not notice huge blood glucose swings with my period.

Are you on a pump? If not, I would highly suggest considering one. A pump would be an easy way to deal with the blood sugar swings throughout your cycle, as you can easily program your insulin dosages to accommodate. They have so many other benefits too. I can't imagine my life without one.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've had three different insurances in my life and with one of them my pills were $2, the other ones (including my current provider) were $5. Never had any issues getting them ever.

I've taken about 4 different kinds of pills, though. The one I'm on now is low-dose. There's no weight gain, no psycho moods, no painful or heavy periods. It's great. Libido is fine, too.

I took Yaz before my current pill and it made me cry everyday and think suicidal thoughts. The pill before that made me very hateful of men. I just had to try on a few before I found the right one and I'm happy right now.

I'm currently thinking about taking some type of Birth Control that only gives me a few periods a year. I'm 35 and I'm tired of it (been bleeding since age 9!) I read in my Human Sexuality textbook that there is no known reason for a woman to have a period other than if she wants to get pregnant so I was intrigued by that (since I don't want to get pregnant anytime soon).

I also want to look into seeing if this type of birth control gets rid of PMS symptoms. Every month, I've noticed, something different happens. One month I will be extremely bloated and none of my clothes will fit. The next month I might be extremely sleepy and literally unable to keep my eyes open because they sting so much. Another month I will cry about something really silly. Even though I'm glad I don't get "bitchy" anymore with PMS, I still have these annoying symptoms and I'd like them to go away.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Try pregnancy?

What a wonderful thread! Thank you LD and Lizzie for keeping it on track.

I started taking the pill when I was 17. When I used condoms I insisted on using MINE. Condoms I knew had been kept in a cool dark place.

Now I am taking Diane-35 for my acne. I was miserable when I had acne and I am afraid it will come back if I stop. I will probably only stop to have more kids. If my acne doesn't come back I would like to try other contraceptives.

My doctor recommended the IUD when I had my daughter. However, after experiencing pregnancy and birth first-hand I was a little put off by the idea. I felt that my womb was magical and sacred and I didn't like the idea of sticking something in there. And I only started to feel this way after I had my daughter.

I've tried female condoms lol If you thought male condoms were a mood killer.....

I'm really interested in the Luna Fertility Saliva Test. Anyone have experience with this?

I'm also a big fan of MyMonthlyCycles . When I am not on the pill my periods are very irregular. I joined this website to help me keep track of what was going on. And what do you know....the first month I joined was the month I conceived! So after a few weeks of in-putting data and taking measurements, my expected period date passed with no period. It certianly worked out because without MyMonthlyCycles I would not have noticed I skipped a period for a LONG time.

I saw an ad for a contraceptive pill (don't remember which brand.) The ad had pictures of women doing various activities and under each photo was written, "TRY BEING ADVENTUROUS", or "TRY BEING ARTISTIC" et cetera. Anyways, someone had scribbled over the ad, "Try pregnancy". Are we to bring children into the world for the sake of making a statement? I still wonder what this woman meant. It was in a ladies washroom, so most likely it was a woman. Did she have kids? If she did, how could she suggest it in a such a casual manner? If she didn't, why isn't she taking her own advice?
Of perhaps she concieved while on the pill?

MissHannah

One Too Many
Man, I wish I thought of my womb as magical and sacred. I've always kind of seen it as being nothing to do with me and, most likely, hating me! lol I've never really felt that me and my body were on the same team - anybody else felt this way?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive always thought of my mind and my body as inmates who've escaped chained to each other.

We might not see eye to eye, but were were both in the same big house so we gotta work together if we dont want to get caught.

LD

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
other than a brief experiment with an IUD in the '70s (which she ended up turning into a Christmas tree ornament)

That's hilarious.

Somewhat less hilarious: some attempts to distribute IUDs in third world countries to control birth rates have failed miserably, as the programs lacked any sort of education component for the women intended to use the devices or adequate medical staff. The women wound up wearing the IUDs as charms around their necks, thinking they were charms that would ward off pregnancy.

I've been on the pill for the last 18 years with no troubles, but about a year ago I started considering going to an IUD. When I spoke with my doctor, she said that even though I'm 35, since I'm a healthy non-smoker with no side effects, there wasn't any compelling reason why I'd have to switch. Honestly, after taking a pill first thing every morning since I was 17, I can't imagine not having that as part of my routine. I realize I'm one of the lucky ones, though. I have several friends who have tried myriad versions of the pill and haven't found one that works for them.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
Man, I wish I thought of my womb as magical and sacred. I've always kind of seen it as being nothing to do with me and, most likely, hating me! lol I've never really felt that me and my body were on the same team - anybody else felt this way?

I used to. Not so much anymore. I got my period at age 9 and I used to have REALLY HEAVY flows that would last 7 or 8 days solid. And I would get cramps that made me vomit.

When I started using tampons in 2003 (yea, it took me that long) I hardly notice my period anymore. Except for those silly symptoms I mentioned in my previous post lol

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Ive always thought of my mind and my body as inmates who've escaped chained to each other.

We might not see eye to eye, but were were both in the same big house so we gotta work together if we dont want to get caught.

LD

lol My mind and my body are getting along better the further I get away from puberty.

Cirrus

New in Town
MissHannah said:
I can totally identify with this, MissHannah! I almost find myself resenting my womb/ovaries at times (silly, I know!), I mean, I have no intention of using it for it's intended purpose so all it does really is cause trouble once a month, I'm sure I could use the space for something more useful! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
An Old Joke

This reminds me of the Dear Abby column where she told the story of a town busybody who said to a woman, "Excuse me, but are you pregnant?" The woman replied, "No, I'm just carrying this for a friend."

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
CherryWry said:
That's hilarious.

Somewhat less hilarious: some attempts to distribute IUDs in third world countries to control birth rates have failed miserably, as the programs lacked any sort of education component for the women intended to use the devices or adequate medical staff. The women wound up wearing the IUDs as charms around their necks, thinking they were charms that would ward off pregnancy.

Yup, aid workers dropped crates of condoms and the recipients largely used them as chewing gum. :)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Cirrus said:
I can totally identify with this, MissHannah! I almost find myself resenting my womb/ovaries at times (silly, I know!), I mean, I have no intention of using it for it's intended purpose so all it does really is cause trouble once a month, I'm sure I could use the space for something more useful! lol

Coin purse?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Cirrus said:

I'm actually quite surprised at how many women here feel the same way I do!
With no desire (or ability for that matter) to get pregnant, my uterus is really just taking up space and inconveniencing me monthly.

If it weren't for the serious health effects, I would get a hysterectomy and just be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk