Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Holiday Party: Rude or Inept Guests?

DNO

One Too Many
My aunt is very good friends with the art dealers/collectors who currently live in the Studio Building in Toronto (for anyone who knows who the Group of Seven are.) They have the most gorgeous, rare, and usually very expensive things. They also give parties, and their guests, knowing the nature of the objects they will be around, have absolutely no respect for them. Not that the hosts expect the building to be treated like a museum, but the way the guests act is ridiculous.

They have a clever way of solving it, though: They invite my aunt and I - and depending on the size of the party, a few others - to hound the other guests. If someone places a drink on the table without a coaster, we give them one. If someone is eating while standing and has no napkin, we say "oh, you must have forgotten one of these!" and hand them one. If people spill, as they are wont to do, we're right there armed with cleaning agents.

If you have family members or close friends at the party who value your things as much as you do, perhaps you could ask them to do the same. It's like you, but in 4 places at once. :)

Off topic, I know but...you've been inside the Studio Building? I am jealous, indeed! I have some art that may have been produced there (Town, McNamara) but I've never had a chance to see the inside. I'm turning green.

As far as the slobs at your party, PSG...perhaps you should invite fewer people. Easier to police.

My aunt is very good friends with the art dealers/collectors who currently live in the Studio Building in Toronto (for anyone who knows who the Group of Seven are.) They have the most gorgeous, rare, and usually very expensive things. They also give parties, and their guests, knowing the nature of the objects they will be around, have absolutely no respect for them. Not that the hosts expect the building to be treated like a museum, but the way the guests act is ridiculous.

They have a clever way of solving it, though: They invite my aunt and I - and depending on the size of the party, a few others - to hound the other guests. If someone places a drink on the table without a coaster, we give them one. If someone is eating while standing and has no napkin, we say "oh, you must have forgotten one of these!" and hand them one. If people spill, as they are wont to do, we're right there armed with cleaning agents.

If you have family members or close friends at the party who value your things as much as you do, perhaps you could ask them to do the same. It's like you, but in 4 places at once.
:)

That's a great idea! Only I think I'd have a devil of a time getting my friends to dress up in footman's livery! ;) :D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You might consider picking up a couple dozen "snack sets". A Snack Set consists of a small (8-9" dia or rectangular) plate, sometimes divided, with a matching cup (about six ounces) which fits a dimple on the plate. These are designed to be easily held in the left hand or balanced on the knee for buffet dining. These useful items were made by all of the large glass houses, and may be found very cheaply at thrift shops these days. I recently purchased three dozen more sets to match my existing pieces. Total cost was less than forty dollars, about the cost of really nice paper plates for one large party.

There will inevitably be the occasional accident, but woolen rugs are pretty stain resistant, and a little work with a French Polish pad will remove the inevitable ring. I used to have a nice neighbor lady whom I would hire to help out at parties. She presented herself as just a pleasant lady who was helping out, NOT as "the help", which in the modern egalitarian world would be more than a little pretentious. Of course even in the old days, a hostess who kept no staff but who ostentatiously brought in help for parties was usually felt to be distinctly de trop and was often an object of more-or-less polite ridicule.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You know I love you, C-Dot, but I have to disagree with you this time. I don't agree that the majority of guests are not well-meaning. I guess I just don't see carpet crumbs or 1 broken glass as a major issue. Those things just happen sometimes when you host a party.

No no, I agree with you! I anticipate mishaps, and I would never make someone feel terrible for having one. Items can be repaired or replaced, but hurt feelings cannot.

Perhaps party guests in Texas are much more pleasant :) I think I'll make a trip for your next one!

Thank you for eloquently stating what I feel. Right now I'm cranky and wasn't feeling so diplomatic.

Hopefully your party this year will bring up your spirits :) Like everyone else, I hope it's a lot of fun.

Off topic, I know but...you've been inside the Studio Building? I am jealous, indeed! I have some art that may have been produced there (Town, McNamara) but I've never had a chance to see the inside. I'm turning green.

Many times :) I'm friendly with everyone there, and the resident pets. I even got to meet Gordon McNamara before his death. You'll be glad to know his apartment is still in the same glorious condition as was shown in the newspapers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy