Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Knox Beater Saga...(part 1)

Glass Shark

New in Town
The eBay title stated Vintage Man's Hat Fifth Avenue Knox. Looking at the photo I could immediately tell that the phrases “like new'' or “looks like it's never been worn” would not be in the description. I didn't rule out “terrible industrial disaster” but that was missing too. The description did include the facts that it needs cleaning and there is a certain amount of discoloration on the liner but that was okay because I was looking for a “beater.” The opening bid was 98 cents and I thought it was well worth it given its potential.

When I first discovered this gem the auction still had three days to run and I marveled that there were no bids yet. Over the next few days I continued to marvel because its one of the few things I do well. I work the evening shift so that means I have to place an early bid on items that end while I am at work. On the last day of the auction there are still no bids before I have to leave for work. Going through my mind is the scenario of 9 bidders bidding in the last 20 seconds to snatch up this jewel. I put in a bid of $1.72. If the others want it, they will just have to bid for it! Let their wallets suffer.

Arriving home that night, I fired up the computer and found out I won...as the only bidder. Apprehension usually sets in at this point and I am wondering what everyone else in the world knows that I don't. This happens a lot of the time when I win an auction but this time I was the only bidder. Then it occurred to me. When I was a boy promotions often started with, “Hey kids, be the first one on your block to own this...(insert desired item here).” I was never the first one on my block and would usually be the last, if at all. So, it has finally happened with “beater” hats. The market has reached the saturation point and I am, once again, the last on my worldwide web of a block to buy a beater hat.

But, that's okay. The anticipation starts building. Soon, in a matter of days it will arrive, and I can hardly wait. As a kid, I ordered a pair of those X-Ray Glasses from the ads in the back of comic books ($1.00 + 25 cents shipping and handling, allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery). Time moved slower back in those days and anticipation could almost rip a boys chest apart. As an adult I don't have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for anything and shipping and handling has inflated to $4.20...at least on this hat.

Less than a week later, Art the postman knocks on the front door. I open it and he smirks, “You got a winner here!” Now, Art is not the kind of mailman that smirks, he takes his job very seriously. But he was spot on with his take on this one. He handed me a taped up cereal box and asked, “Is there a hat in there?” I looked him in the eye and replied, “It's too soon to tell but I'll keep you informed.”

I took the package to the kitchen table and looked at it. In twenty-first century America, the most prosperous country on the planet, who sends stuff through the mails packaged in recycled Cinnamon Goldstrike Swirls cereal boxes? The hat has to be crushed flat in there! Then I notice the box isn't bulging like it should be if there was a crushed hat inside made from the fur of dead rabbits. The contents is stiff and flat and I am becoming very very disturbed. Trying to keep my panic in check, I get the scissors and cut the tape, open the flap, and pull out a piece of Styrofoam. Resting on, (partially in) the Styrofoam is a wooden handled kitchen knife! The seller had put my address label on the wrong box!

I haven't been this disappointed since I open the box containing the X-Ray Glasses.

Guido

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Wow, what a story! Your imagery is great and you really built up the suspense to when the "package" arrived. I assume you will contact the seller and see if the mix up can be resolved? Keep us posted. I for one want to see this beater!

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Glass Shark-
That was a great read. Sorry to hear about the mix up, but that writing reminded me of Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" with the humor lol

Stan

A-List Customer
Good One!

Hi,

You *will* be the first on the virtual block to attempt to wear a kitchen knife on your head! :eusa_clap

Seriously, I've received many a package mix-up from eBay sellers. Usually, they're for motorcycle parts (I have two vintage Goldwings, a 1978 and a 1981), not hats. Many people take an old bike and tear it into a pile of parts, so there's lots of chances to screw up what gets shipped where. But, the issue is the same. You have to send what you got back, and then hope that the other winner, who now has a hat that they don't want, will send it back as well - and that the seller will pay for all the extra shipping costs.

I have run into the issue where the person that has my thingy does not want to ship it back at their expense, and then the seller also does not want to pay for extra shipping on multiple items. Oh, one can try eBay for assistance when that happens, but usually it doesn't help much. I have had to pay to ship a wrong item to the right person *and* pay the shipping on my item a second time to get it sent to me. Not fair, no, and I hope this does not happen to you.....

Later!

Stan

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Great story! I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Stan, I've had the same problem with motorcycle parts. In my case, not only was it the wrong part but it was also for the wrong bike. Luckily, it was a small and inexpensive part and the seller told me not to bother sending it back (wasn't worth the postage) and sent the correct part at no extra charge. That's the way to win return customers.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
22526iw0.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Glass Shark said:
who sends stuff through the mails packaged in recycled Cinnamon Goldstrike Swirls cereal boxes?

Did you say, "Cinnamon Goldstrike Swirls Cereal Box?". Those things are worth like, a lot of money, dude....lol

univibe88

One Too Many
Great story! I too am looking forward to part 2.

I am always paranoid when I am sending out multiple packages that I will mix some up. Fortunately I never have.

Glass Shark

New in Town
The knife is stamped OLD HICKORY on the wooden handle. Stamped into the blade is ONTARIO KNIFE CO. Looks to be the 6" boning model. There is something else stamped above the logo but it is obscured by dried blood or something. I'll be sure to wipe my prints off of it before I mail it out. :eek:

Glass Shark

New in Town
The Knox Beater Saga...(Part 2)

The seller was very good about the mix-up and refunded my money once she had contacted the other party. She was quite embarrassed about the whole situation and pleased when each of us said we would mail the other parties package. Naturally, I intend to repackage the knife but it will have to wait until I finish this box of Cap'n Crunch.

Guido

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner