Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The look.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok Ladies and Gents, here is the look that I love from the early 30’s. This is an ad that I just won on ebay.

I don’t know what it is about this look that just kills me. Maybe it’s the fact that we can’t seem to find a guy that can make suits like this any more. Or maybe it’s the fact we cant seem to find the early hats like this. Well, what ever it may be, this look is almost timeless in my mind. If one was to sport this look today, I’m sure it would be well received. So clean and classic are the lines and just so smart that one would say: That man has it together!

Why is it that I seem to be drawn to an earlier look? I don’t know. For what ever reasons, it’s a beautiful look and a look that I wish I could wear every day! So simple yet, classic!

This is an Arrow Shirt ad from 1931 or so and it will be soon hanging on my wall after it comes in the mail.

I hope you all enjoy,

Root.
a4_1_b.JPG

Mycroft

One Too Many
No what I meant, is in the post-WWI era, the majority of minorities (ha ha), worked low paying jobs like a porter, and they usally only had that postion because of the times and they could not get another because of their ethicnicity.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Geez guys, I wanted to get feed back on the suit and not open a debate on Race related jobs. You know, they still use a black chef on the box of Cream of Wheat and Uncle Ben’s rice. I think it’s cool! It’s very old fashioned. Yes, most men of color back in those days had jobs that weren’t regarded to most as being very admirable. Porters, Chefs, Shoe Shine boys and Conductors on trains. It is Black History month and I have seen some crazy specials on the History Channel regarding segregation. It was so bad in most parts of the country! It was so sad how people treated our fellow Americans just because they were different. It’s sad that it happened but, it is history and we can’t change it.

Now, we must remember that some of the GREATEST Jazz musicians were African American! And some may not have sold as much records as some of the big name white bands, but today they’re doing rather well and are regarded as some of the greats! Also a bit of history, did you know that Benny Goodman was the first Bandleader to mix things up? He was a pioneer when he hired Teddy Wilson and Lionel Hampton to make up members of his Quartet. He wanted their talent and didn’t care what color they were.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool! Glad you agree!

The suit has a “Too Perfect� look because it is an illustration. Back then they wanted to make the item for sell look as best as they could so you would want to buy the shirts or what ever. That’s just advertising! It’s almost the same today. All new suits look great on skinny or well built models. But get one of those poorly made sacks on me and well, it’s not so great looking.

However, there were men who had suits that looked almost as perfect but, you know nothing in the world is perfect. I love the look and to me it’s something I try and strive for when dressing the part. I get close but, I don’t beat my self up over it if I don’t achieve the look of the man in the ad.

I have some vintage that fits a little tight and some a little short. I don’t care and I wear it any way. A man of my height would have had the same problems fitting into clothes even in the 30’s and 40’s. I am human and my weight isn’t always the same. I look at some photos and see some men wearing coats that fit them rather tight as well. In the depression, you wore what you could and most had to do the best with what they had.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner