Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Loss of an Elder, Teacher, and Friend

Nashoba

One Too Many
When I was a teenager I sat at the edge of the drum listening to him sing. He was a quiet leader. He would sing a song that none of us knew and would repeat himself until each of our singers had committed it to memory and the women behind the drum had worked out our part. Then he would explain the meaning of the song and inevitably crack a joke that turned the teaching moment into something precious. He was a World War II Veteran. He did amazing things in his youth, and even more amazing things in his old age.

I sat at his feet for many years soaking in the precious teachings that he and his wife would offer. It was never an overt lesson. That isn't the Kiowa way. It would always begin with me sitting quietly by him at a Powwow, or at drum practice. He would turn to me and quietly comment on this or that, then tell me the Kiowa way regarding it. I never asked questions because I knew he wouldn't answer them. It was from him that I learned to listen and wait, to watch and learn. When he prayed, it was in Kiowa, and he would give small lessons in the Kiowa language to me whenever he could interject it. I wish I could say I learned something of the language. He was a singer, a medicine man, and a respected leader. He took this lost Choctaw / Cherokee child and gave her Kiowa tradition. And from his wife I learned the Chippewa ways. Today I know more about their traditions than I do my own. And I'm proud of that.

He taught me the meaning of the Gourd Dance, the warrior's dance. He taught me when to sit and when to stand behind the drum in the center for gourd. And when to sing. His wife taught me that I had the right to stand with the women along the side and dance the gourd. And they taught me the right way to do it.

He came from the family that learned the bugle calls of the US Army and used them against them. He was proud but un-assuming. Fierce but gentle. He taught me the difference between real tradition and mysitfication. He taught me much more than the southern songs. He taught me respect, honor, and the proper way to do things.

And then there were his stories. He always had a story, for everything. Some were old, some he created, all had a punchline. And you were never quite sure if he was joking or not. All were teaching moments. Whether you realized it at the time or not, all of his stories were meant to teach in one way or another. And so I learned. I learned how to walk the Red Road and how to honor it.

They were there when I first entered the arena as a dancer when I was a teenager. He was there to bless my outfit and tell me to make him proud. Six years ago his wife asked me to honor them and their family by dancing jingle for them. She designed my regalia. And once again, he was there to bless it and bring me into the arena for the first time wearing it. This time as a member of their family. He was also there to bless and bring my husband into the arena as a dancer. He and his wife taught me that dancing is more than putting on regalia. It's more than the contests and the money. Dancing is heart. It's healing. It's a gift. And they gave that gift to me.

Tonight at 5:15pm he passed over to the other side. His wife is also struggling for her life, and with him gone, I know in my heart that she will follow soon. They have been two of my greatest teachers. The lead singer of our drum has been another and he is their adopted son. I was taught well. I am only grateful that we are here in California and can be at drum practice tomorrow to help sing his soul home. I do not believe that to be an accident. And I am grateful for the unseen hand that ensured my presence.

I have been told by those who watch me dance that I have powerful and strong medicine. If I have anything, it came from them. They had a huge influence over the dancer I am today. And in their honor, I will dance jingle until the day that I too pass over to the other side. I no longer dance for myself. I dance for him. I dance for her; her health and her safe, peaceful passage to the world beyond ours. I pray that she will not suffer too long before reuniting with him. I dance for the family that I was asked to represent. And I dance for those who need me to dance. They gave me so much, I only hope that they know how much that meant to me.

Thank you Burley. Thank you for many years of memories that I will always treasure. Thank you for teaching me the proper way to do things. Thank you for your wisdom, your blessings, and your love. The blessings you bestowed on me and the regalia I wear, will stay with me forever. And I will carry you with me each time I enter the circle, and I will know that you are there. I love you, I will miss you, and I will tell my children your stories. May you rest peacefully in the arms of the Great Spirit until we meet again; my elder, my teacher, my friend.

carter

I'll Lock Up
As his face is turned from life, may he look ever forward, never back, knowing that those he loved will follow and he will see them again.

May his spirit soar and find peace among the stars.

Dance well.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Jenn :( It's never easy to lose someone close to you but times heals all things. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Gary

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I recited this recently over a loved ones' grave, I hope it helps.

Take care of yourself and ensure this wonderful person's spirit and memory lives on with all those he touched. My thoughts and prayers are with you during your time of grief. Paddy.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
of soaring birds in circled flight.
I am the star that shines at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.

I am not there, I did not die.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Nashoba, I am so sorry. I am also grateful to your mentor and friend, because you really are an incredible lady- I'm sure his lessons will continue to live on through you and through others as you pass it along. I know I've learned from you.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Tonight We Sang Him Home

Thank you again for all your kind words both public and private. They mean alot to me.

There was an empty chair at the drum tonight. Draped over the back was a Gourd Blanket. Across the seat, a Gourd Rattle, a Dance Fan, and a Drumstick. It's the Kiowa way. It represents the singer, the warrior, the one who has left us. The chair was placed to our lead singer's left, he always sat to Burley's right. Tonight was for him, for his family, for us.

We started our night knowing that he was with us. We were running late and he always hated it when we started late. As we were dragging our feet we were begining to come together around the drum when we were hit with a 5.6 earthquake centered 10 miles from us. We had to laugh, it was almost like he was kicking us into gear. And so we sat down to sing.

The starting song, the coming home song. A round around the drum of veterans songs, and war mother songs. In between the songs our lead singer would tell us the history, the stories. His memories. All are a part of the history of our drum. I've heard the stories before, but hearing them again was like coming home. Greeting an old friend whose face I had nearly forgotten. Then the songs I had been dreading all night. The memorial song. His family song. The going home song. I don't have to think when I sing those songs anymore. They are second nature. They are part of my soul. It's been a long time since I've sung them and I let my voice ring out. As I watched the empty chair, I could almost see him sitting there. Smiling, singing, drumming. And it took me back.

I remember when I first met him, I remember when he blessed my first fancy shawl outfit. I remember when he blessed the outfit I wear today. I will never wear another. I remember when I used to make frybread for the drum, how he would remind me that the first piece had to have a hole in the middle and had to go to the oldest person in the room. He had a story behind why there was a hole that ended in a punchline that would have me rolling my eyes. And he somehow always managed to be the oldest in the room. Go figure. He did like my frybread though. He certainly ate enough of it. I think of it now, and it makes me laugh.

One of a hundred memories. I was blessed to have him in my life. I wish I had told him that more often. As is the way with many elders, he knew me far better than I ever knew him. I sat for a long time after the singing was finished, across from that empty chair. As the singers said goodnight and left, I sat across from that chair. Taking in every detail, engraving it onto my soul.

He was there with us tonight. And I hope we made him proud.

188974452997_0_1.jpg

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I am sorry for the loss of someone so dear to you. Your words were beautiful and touching, thank you for sharing your memories of such a special man with us. You do him honor.

carter

I'll Lock Up
His Spirit goes on forever.

As you have honored him at the drum may you honor him in your life.

Thank you for sharing something so personal and so meaningful with us.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a wonderful tribute

To a wonderful man.

I am not Indian, but studied the Indian culture for two years seriously, hoping to be an anthropologist being able to study a tribe.

The memory you shared is priceless.

And you are already carrying on with his teaching...you are teaching us about the Kiowa Way, the tribe, the importance of elders and their knowledge and the grace and beauty you bring to his education.

The Kiowa Way is a way of sharing. It brings stories to life, traditions of generations upon generations, and family together for happy times and sad.

I know he would be proud of you carrying on the Kiowa Way, and you didn't have to tell him; he already knew...through your dancing, through your laughter and now, through your tears.

May his memory be a blessing to you and yours. Honor his memory and bring it with you, to share with others, like myself who never had the pleasure of meeting an elder of such wisdom and compassion.

I hope to learn from you one day of him, so that I too, can share his wisdom and education with others.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112