Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I just got a new Mallory hat. This isn't really new but its new as in it's now in my possession. So yeah this hat is like my Dobbs but I believe it's older. Defiantly not a 60s hat. The logo is an older one. Most likely 50s. So yeah it has beautiful brown felt with a black band and the bow is on the back. I had to reshape the brim and it still isn't to my likings. I'm going to just raise the sides and back up more. The brim is 2 2/4". not sure the crown height. the liner isn't sown in it's sort free floating. Not how to fix that ,but sweet hat right?!

1. http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5366b071.jpg

2. http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...psad4b502c.jpg

3. http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...psa7441f80.jpg

4. http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...psdfb50770.jpg

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I just got this hat out of the shipping box and really don't know what it is other than a Mallory Ten and it appears to be an open road clone. Anybody have any insight on this hat? Felt is nice and very soft. Sweat and liner are in great shape.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I just got this hat out of the shipping box and really don't know what it is other than a Mallory Ten and it appears to be an open road clone. Anybody have any insight on this hat? Felt is nice and very soft. Sweat and liner are in great shape.

I'm not sure either but dang man. Sweet find! It looks like its like very early 50s Mallory. I the felt indeed looks great. It looks brand new man.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure either but dang man. Sweet find! It looks like its like very early 50s Mallory. I the felt indeed looks great. It looks brand new man.

It is not a bad hat, especially for the price! I got it on eBay from a seller in Canada. I paid as much for shipping as I did for the hat! It does have a stain on the left edge of the brim and a smudge on the top of the crown, but I don't think it is worth sending to the hatter for a cleaning as of yet. I was the only bidder. It came from a hat shop in Moose Jaw, Sask., Canada, and the original owner lived there as well (he wrote his name and address on the inside of the sweatband).

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
It is not a bad hat, especially for the price! I got it on eBay from a seller in Canada. I paid as much for shipping as I did for the hat! It does have a stain on the left edge of the brim and a smudge on the top of the crown, but I don't think it is worth sending to the hatter for a cleaning as of yet. I was the only bidder. It came from a hat shop in Moose Jaw, Sask., Canada, and the original owner lived there as well (he wrote his name and address on the inside of the sweatband).

Well hats get character, it's a good thing in my part only if its not soo bad that the sweat band i missing or something. My Mallory has some stitching missing so part of the sweat band is not connected to the hat. Oh and a few moth nibbles.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
That is a beauty! Nice score, buddy. It's pretty much an Open Road, since Stetson owned Mallory when this hat was produced.

Ah, I was wondering if this was pre or post-Stetson merger. The only Mallory listed in "The Other Open Roads" thread is the Mallory Dallas. Is the Mallory Dallas model pre-Stetson? Thanks Harv!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Well hats get character, it's a good thing in my part only if its not soo bad that the sweat band i missing or something. My Mallory has some stitching missing so part of the sweat band is not connected to the hat. Oh and a few moth nibbles.

I agree. A few spots and stains don't bother me for the most part. If a hat is pristine, then I hesitate to wear it out of fear that I will dirty it up! That's just my OCD manifesting itself a bit.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I agree. A few spots and stains don't bother me for the most part. If a hat is pristine, then I hesitate to wear it out of fear that I will dirty it up! That's just my OCD manifesting itself a bit.

Hehe! I agree. For my late late 50s Dobbs, I hate that it attracts more dust then my early 50s mallory. Probably because they are different felts.

I have a Pre-Stetson Mallory XV (15) that I believe may be the precursor to the Dallas. Pics below. Notice the different date in the liner. Stetson changed the date to 1817 for some oddball reason. (Stetson bought Mallory in August of 1946.)

20140414_171634_resized.jpg

20140414_171650_resized.jpg

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I have a Pre-Stetson Mallory XV (15) that I believe may be the precursor to the Dallas. Pics below. Notice the different date in the liner. Stetson changed the date to 1817 for some oddball reason. (Stetson bought Mallory in August of 1946.)

Now THAT is a very nice hat, Harv!

^ Thanks, Rick. Believe it or not, I am looking for a Mallory OR clone with the cattleman crease like the one you just bought. I really dig that look, and the Mallory name is cool to boot! :D

rclark

Call Me a Cab
^ Thanks, Rick. Believe it or not, I am looking for a Mallory OR clone with the cattleman crease like the one you just bought. I really dig that look, and the Mallory name is cool to boot! :D

Ha! Well, if the hat doesn't suit me or if the multiple ORs and OR clones that I have prove to be too many hats for one man, you will be the first guy I talk to about the hat! It just was delivered today so I have not even tried it on.

Ha! Well, if the hat doesn't suit me or if the multiple ORs and OR clones that I have prove to be too many hats for one man, you will be the first guy I talk to about the hat! It just was delivered today so I have not even tried it on.

I like you, good sir! :p
I am a 7 1/4 long oval, or 7 3/8......FYI.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Well this hat might be a bit too tight for you. It is a 7 1/4 and fits dead on to my crooked standard oval 7 1/4. I just tried it on. It feels nice. Needs a little steam to tweak the crown a bit but I like it. I've never had my hands on a Mallory but I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner