Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

A two pager....1910.
1682366711850.png

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Pre 1946 or pre Stetson Mallory XV, 2 3/4 inch brim. This is the very first hat I ever posted about on the Lounge, back on Post # 1551 of this thread in Jun 2022. I'd forgotten that I hadn't posted any pics of it at that time, but had simply referred to a couple of pics that the previous owner had posted years earlier. So here are couple of pics. I have posted this hat before on What Hat Wearing Today.

Attachments

• IMG_20230516_121955_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230516_121955_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230516_122022_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230516_122022_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230516_122105_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230516_122105_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230516_122135_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230516_122135_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230516_122240_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230516_122240_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Pre 1946 Mallory XV, 2 3/4 inch brim. This is the very first hat I ever posted about on the Lounge, back on Post # 1551 of this thread in Jun 2022. I'd forgotten that I hadn't posted any pics of it at that time, but had simply referred to a couple of pics that the previous owner had posted years earlier. So here are couple of pics. I have posted this hat before on What Hat Wearing Today.
Excellent hat

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
It’s really kinda unsettling to know that before visiting anyplace of super importance to humanity I would shop pre-war hat stores as my first destination using a Time Machine.

(Oh, and would stop off in Pennsylvania to buy a few Martin D-28s, as well.)

Great post, Buler! These racks of fedoras sure make ya want ‘em!
Imagine these pics in color!
:-0
Great shot of a Mallory (along with University Club and Emerson sub brands) display. May, 1943.

View attachment 546133

View attachment 546132

View attachment 546130

PinchFrontKid

New in Town
*As Also Posted in What Hats Are you wearing Today? Thread*
Introducing 1940's Mallory "The Mallory Ten" 7 1/8 Premier Quality, The Quality of this Felt is Soft, Very Moldable For a Dry Hand Crease, The Snap of the Brim is Very Flemsy only because of age but I know how to fix that, there is some Loosening of the Sweatband that can also be fixed aswell, But Once I Looked on the Inside of the Sweatband is where I found something very Astonishing about the age of this hat, on the Inside there is a $10 Dollor Sticker attached to the inside of the Sweat band, Also there is a Union sticker and then There is a another Sticker that's Halfway Hidden and it States the Size 7 1/8 and what's Covered is what I'm assuming is the Serial number to this hat which is Stuck to the Liner and Also some Form of Paper that's Holding the Liner in, Now I've rarely Seen a Liner Held in by this type of paper, Anyone who knows history about this Type of Technique used to hold Liners in Please put your 2 Cents in and inform us Loungers, This was and Awesome Find and For Such a Cheap Price I got it for ..... I Think I'm taking to the Grave with me LOL,hope you all enjoy, Yours Truly-"PinchFrontKid"
20230927_115218.jpg

20230927_115239.jpg

20230927_115516.jpg

20230927_115303.jpg

20230927_115748.jpg

20230927_115714.jpg

20230927_115725.jpg

20230927_123610.jpg

Introducing 1940's Mallory "The Mallory Ten" 7 1/8 Premier Quality, The Quality of this Felt is Soft, Very Moldable For a Dry Hand Crease, The Snap of the Brim is Very Flemsy only because of age but I know how to fix that, there is some Loosening of the Sweatband that can also be fixed aswell, But Once I Looked on the Inside of the Sweatband is where I found something very Astonishing about the age of this hat, on the Inside there is a $10 Dollor Sticker attached to the inside of the Sweat band, Also there is a Union sticker and then There is a another Sticker that's Halfway Hidden and it States the Size 7 1/8 and what's Covered is what I'm assuming is the Serial number to this hat which is Stuck to the Liner and Also some Form of Paper that's Holding the Liner in, Now I've rarely Seen a Liner Held in by this type of paper, Anyone who knows history about this Type of Technique used to hold Liners in Please put your 2 Cents in and inform us Loungers, This was and Awesome Find and For Such a Cheap Price I got it for ..... I Think I'm taking to the Grave with me LOL,hope you all enjoy, Yours Truly-"PinchFrontKid"
View attachment 548669
View attachment 548671
View attachment 548672
View attachment 548673
View attachment 548674
View attachment 548675
View attachment 548676
View attachment 548677

The liner was likely originally sewn in. It was probably cleaned or reblocked at some point and the liner was taped back in.

Nothing astonishing about what you found. Most vintage hats have reorder tags and union labels.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
View attachment 548669
View attachment 548671
View attachment 548672
View attachment 548673
View attachment 548674
View attachment 548675
View attachment 548676
View attachment 548677
The liner was likely originally sewn in. It was probably cleaned or reblocked at some point and the liner was taped back in.

Nothing astonishing about what you found. Most vintage hats have reorder tags and union labels.
Thanks for the explanation about the hat being serviced. That makes sense. Here’s my Champ I mentioned in the other thread (“Post New Hats Here”) with the same tape - a very nice hat, I was surprised to find the liner held in by tape!
IMG_8750.jpeg

IMG_8749.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Mighty44

One Too Many
So I always thought that Stetson bought Mallory in the 1940s and from then on they made lesser quality, probably wool hats. Is that all wrong—did they continue to make high quality hats under Stetson ownership?

So I always thought that Stetson bought Mallory in the 1940s and from then on they made lesser quality, probably wool hats. Is that all wrong—did they continue to make high quality hats under Stetson ownership?
The timeline is a bit broader than that. The estimated date of the Stetson/Mallory merger/takeover is 1946. But they continued to operate as separate brands and I assume manufacturing plants for some time afterwards. While the pre 1946 hats are highly sought after and many would say of higher quality…. The Post ‘46 Mallory hats were still of fantastic quality through the 1950s. Excellent felt quality, styling and manufacturing. 50s Mallory are some of my favorite hats. I believe as time went on Mallory was more fully absorbed into the Stetson manufacturing. The 60s hats I have seen are mostly shorter brim hats… but that’s more indicative of the times. I believe it’s not till the 70s that you start to see the lower quality mostly wool Mallory by Stetson. Where it’s used as a lower tier model Line and no longer its own brand. My guess is that actually takes place after the demise of Stetson Philadelphia after the brands start being sold off.

This is all educated guess on my part.. from my experiences and what I have seen of others hats and what has been discussed here. I’ve never seen anything official on what the timeline was.

Mighty44

One Too Many
The timeline is a bit broader than that. The estimated date of the Stetson/Mallory merger/takeover is 1946. But they continued to operate as separate brands and I assume manufacturing plants for some time afterwards. While the pre 1946 hats are highly sought after and many would say of higher quality…. The Post ‘46 Mallory hats were still of fantastic quality through the 1950s. Excellent felt quality, styling and manufacturing. 50s Mallory are some of my favorite hats. I believe as time went on Mallory was more fully absorbed into the Stetson manufacturing. The 60s hats I have seen are mostly shorter brim hats… but that’s more indicative of the times. I believe it’s not till the 70s that you start to see the lower quality mostly wool Mallory by Stetson. Where it’s used as a lower tier model Line and no longer its own brand. My guess is that actually takes place after the demise of Stetson Philadelphia after the brands start being sold off.

This is all educated guess on my part.. from my experiences and what I have seen of others hats and what has been discussed here. I’ve never seen anything official on what the timeline was.
That’s excellent info—thank you, Joe! I could definitely add a few high quality Mallory to the pile, with pleasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk