Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The many Virtues of the Bow Tie (Send Pics)

CactusJax

Familiar Face
The tie pictured at the beginning is my least Fave... I forgot to pack any ties for our Thanksgiving trip to see my Daughter in DC last year. Those of you with kids know that any kid visit, home or away, invariably results in a beggathon and ultimately in a shopping trip.... Of course when you buy one a pair of shoes they all want a pair... Anyway we end up @ Nordstroms near my daughters apartment. to buy #2 some tennis shoes. We end up with 7 pair of shoes for the kids and 1 for me. #3 kid remembers he did not pack any dress pants so we head off to the mens dept... We finally fit him and beg for them to hem them today. They agree. As we wait I see a nice plaid sleeve sticking out of the sport coats. I go to my size and they have it. By then I have of course attracted a salesperson. she helps me get the jacket on. Georgeous. I look at the tag, Mostly cashmere with some wool & silk and over 2 G's. I pass but she is determined to find me a jacket... When I finally rid myself of her I passed the ties and remember that I had packed none. As soon as I slow down a salesman is on me like white on rice... This time an older debonair gent from south of the border, Brazil I guessed from his accent. I asked him where the bow ties were. almost all of his were the GIANT butterflies. Not my fave... I like thin & narrow. Lots of nice fabric but all the wrong shape for me. Finally I find one I can live with. I hadn't studied the construction but at checkout i noticed all of these buttons on the back of the tie. I asked and was told that it's designed to tie once and then you unbutton it to get it off, rebutton to get on... The new clip-on.. Anyway I wore it to Thanksgiving Brunch @ Citronelle in Georgetown. It felt an inch thick on the back of my neck, stiff... I never wore it again. I did untie it instead of unbuttoning it when I removed it.

Edward

Bartender
I can imagine that a button in back would be a nightmare with a turn-down collar (which is what I prefer for black tie). Though they're certainly an advance over the more usual clip on type as they are in effect a real knot. I wonder how many folks who wear them treat them always in the same way as a clip-on, and how many will eventually be tempted into trying to tie them for themselves?

Jovan

Suspended
CactusJax said:
I occasionally use the Four In Hand (FIH). It really looks great with the right tie... So many are just a hair thick or wide in the section where the knot is to look right IMO. I guess one might experiment with each new tie to see which knot looks best. but usually when you are putting on your tie its time to boogie...I probably just got lazy.... and resort to The Double Windsdor (DW)
Try a half-Windsor if you want some symmetry. I occasionally use it, and it's small enough to use with a moderate spread collar without looking out of proportion. Connery certainly looked good in it. To be fair though, he wore ties about 2.75" wide in the early movies.

1161725050_sean_dr_no.jpg

Anyways, back to bow ties!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my fondest memories of New York a few weeks ago:

I had just visited with MrBern, Feraud and Senator Jack and than went to a vintage fashion show. I took the train home and was standing in line at the Pastry Counter in Grand Central waiting to bring home some goodies to my hosts.

The gentleman behind me was disabled, with two arm cruches. I look down and see his lovely shoes (obviously English, obviously expensive). I comment, "nice shoes" and he just beams. When I look up, I see that he has a hand tied his bow tie. His hands were shaking the entire time I was in line, and I thought to myself what a great testament to fortitude and taste, to have a disability, but struggle with his bow tie in the morning instead of taking the easy route and use a clip on tie or something simple. :eusa_clap

Here are some bow ties I picked up over the summer at a garage sale. I haven't yet attempted to convince my husband to try them on.

bow_ties.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Even with Hemingwayjones' excellent tutorial, I've never mastered the damn thing.

When people ask me about how difficult it is to tie a bow tie, I tell them three things:

1. If you can tie your shoes, you can tie a bow tie. The knot is the same.

2. If at all possible, get someone who can do it to show you how, in person. There's no substitute for a live tutorial. Unless you're missing most of your fingers, fifteen minutes with a bowtie wearer will get you sorted out.

3. If that's not possible, go to YouTube and search for "how to tie a bow tie." There are several great instructional videos, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJv4Qh7zR3E
Under no circumstances try to get it from a series of still photos. You must see it in action, and from different angles.

And of course, practice. Wear a bow once a week, and at the end of a month you'll be able to do it in your sleep.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CactusJax said:
i noticed all of these buttons on the back of the tie. I asked and was told that it's designed to tie once and then you unbutton it to get it off, rebutton to get on... The new clip-on..

Charvet has been making their RTW bow ties with a similar feature, though with a metal hook, for as long as I cane remember. [huh]

But, for a nominal upcharge they'll cut them to size.;)

imgp08869ck.jpg

CactusJax said:
I hadn't studied the construction but at checkout i noticed all of these buttons on the back of the tie. I asked and was told that it's designed to tie once and then you unbutton it to get it off, rebutton to get on... The new clip-on..

That's the way proper bows all used to be made, and is a hallmark of a hand made bow. The buttons allow for sizing and adjustment, while not stretching or pulling the fabric of the bow, and thus altering the size and shape of the bow. It also cuts down on the risk of picking or frizzing any delicate woven fabrics.

Combined with better fabrics (i.e., heavier silks, not typically found on most bows, including most 'designer' bows), the button enclosure helps ensure that your bow will look better, tie better, and last much longer.

Of course, it goes without saying that you will never find anything but a button enclosure on my bows. Completely handcrafted in the US, each of my bows has completely hand sewn mother of pearl buttons on the back. (I like to say, the only machine that's touched my bows are the looms that made the fabric!)

Learn more about Charleston Bows here & how to get one for yourself here. New bows coming soon! ;)

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Since I grew up in the '60's I can honestly say that I've been wearing bow ties nearly since I was born. They were much more common then and several of my childhood pictures have me in a bow tie.

I went through the "leisure suit with (pre-tied) butterfly bow tie" phase back in the '70's. I started buying my own during college in the '80's during my OPH phase. They have been a part (but not a large part) of my wardrobe ever since. I recently picked up two or three new ones and work them in (usually at church or to weddings) about once a month.

I wish that they weren't so anachronistic, because I think they are a very good look. That said, I wear them anyway because I'm now beyond 40 and frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
DSCF0866.jpg

This was my first, I have expanded the collection slightly. On a lark one morning I tied the thing and it turned out so perfect I took a picture (and wore it to work).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've long loved bowties, but they're darned hard to find where I live. I've acquired a few since I gotten the internet, money, and a supportive wife. My very, very first, however, I got way back in elementary school from the prop trailer of the High School drama department. I haven't got a picture, but it's easy to imagine: dark blue with atoms (orange nuclei and white electron paths). If only it were a hand-tied model, I'd probably wear it occasionally. But then, having been a 3rd grader when I originally picked it up, I would probably have never gotten it to begin with.

-Dave

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I purchased a black satin bow tie from buyyourties.com. It was just a kind of impulse purchase intended to wear with my black double breasted when I attend my daughter's high school graduation.

It took me about 45 minutes of searching the Internet and fumbling around before I finally figured it out. While there is a marked similarity to tying one's shoe, it's something done mostly by feel.

Now I'm thinking about buying a red one because the black satin may be a bit formal for a HS graduation.

Bottom line: bow ties are fun.

Mark

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I wear bow ties more often than long ties. I have 40+ in my closet. I went about 15 years without purchasing any new ones because I had all the ones I needed. Everyone that carried them had the same stripes and paiselies that were just slight variations of what I already had or some outlandish colors that would not match anything I have - ever.

Last year I started buying bow ties again. I found some very nice ones from Beau Ties, LTD of Vermont. Bill offers quite a selection of patterns and cuts. He will even convert one of your favorite old long ties into a bow tie.

CharlestonBows, not trying to take away your customers. I only learned of your company while reading this thread. I plan on making some purchases when I get home from this deployment in a few weeks. Save a "Classic Gold" for me!

I have received many compliments on my bow ties. Not many people wear them, so when you walk into a room with one people notice. It can be quite an attention getter.

My younger boys have been wearing bows now for a few years. No clip-ons for them! My wife or I will tie it for them, but at least they know what's right.

I'll post pics when I get home.

TraderRic said:
CharlestonBows, not trying to take away your customers. I only learned of your company while reading this thread. I plan on making some purchases when I get home from this deployment in a few weeks. Save a "Classic Gold" for me!

No problem! I'll keep one in my desk. ;) Make it home safe!

Mid-fogey said:
...before, Fridays are bow tie day.

Here is today's.

IMG_0924.jpg

Dig the Coldstream Guards bow, Mid-fogey. Classic, and one of my favorites.

Jovan said:
Sometime soon, I'm gonna get me one of them there bowties.:D

You'd be awesome in a bow. Narrow cut club bow + one of those Mad Men gray suits = very correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy