Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
So- I'm finally gonna get a new haircut. At the moment I have a short 1920's esque coal black bob (with out fringe) but I've decided to let it grow and get a middy- similar to Calypso's hair in the Camomile lawn TV adaption (I tried to upload a piccie but think it failed). A quick poll of the guys i the office was that they all said it was lovely, though my partner likes my regular hair- oh well- I can always cut it again if it doesn't suit me.

lareine

A-List Customer
I cut my own hair following the instructions and photos in this thread, today. And it looks great! I didn't do the gradient between the hair in front of the ear and the hair behind the ear, because the hair in front of my ears was already a tad too short (grown-out fringe), but otherwise I followed the instructions exactly. I went from boob-length hair with some layers around the face to a nice bouncy above-shoulder cut. My natural wave gives this a nice curl and hides any mistakes I might have made in the cutting.

Anyway, thank you so much to everybody on this thread for giving me the courage to take scissors to head while still sober lol

Leonora

New in Town
Hairdressers in Belgium or in London?

Hello,

I'm summoning up the courage to get my long long hair hacked off and replaced with a long-ish middy. Anyone got any recommendations for hairdressers, preferably in Brussels, failing that, London?

Cheers,
Leo x

swinggal

One Too Many
I gave myself a longish middy cut last night with the tutorial. It's still below my shoulder line in the back and sits on the shoulder in front. I have set it in rollers tonight so we'll see how it looks.

Leonora

New in Town
Thanks for the London tips!

And let me know how the longish middy rolls...I've opted to keep it long since I'm used to putting my hair up in a roll at the back, and nervous about losing that option - it works, it's quick. But since I have rod-straight hair, for curling purposes, shorter might be better. So I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you!

swinggal

One Too Many
This is with the long middy cut I did. Tonight's hair with a beret and hat pin to bunch up the felt a bit. I set my hair in metal rollers and then brushed it out into waves. Took a while but works well. Curls sit a lot better around the face. I could still do rolls easily at the front or back. The back is still below my shoulders in a big 'U' shape. The cut has given it all lift.

My hair used to be to be just past my shoulders at the front - so you can see it still works well. And when I'm not doing a vintage style I can tie it up or wear it out :) Very happy!

Photo0378.jpg

Photo0375copy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Leonora

New in Town
It looks great! Very encouraging, though I don't think my hair is likely to behave that well. The curls look really sculpted. I'd sort of planned on pin curls rather than rollers - easier to sleep on - but maybe metal rollers are the way forwards...

swinggal

One Too Many
I do pin curls as well, but I didn't have the time for a wet set that night. Btw, my hair is DEAD straight and very fine and I find it hard to hold a curl. I have to use setting lotion and an overnight set for it to stay.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
My friend treated me to a "trim" for my birthday. My hair is rather curly/frizzy/rebellious, so I usually have a few layers so when I told her to trim them...well, since it was a hot day, I let it air dry, we went shoping..blah,blah, blah...and when I came home I washed my hair and went to dry it..and that's when I got nervous. This "trim" of my layers was all different and I wondered what to do. One of the blogs I followed showed a tutorial of a long 'middy'...."THAT"S IT!! That's what that woman did to my hair!!" So a blessing in disguise it turned out to be! I like it now that I know what to do with it! lol
That's how it looks now in my avatar pic !

crwritt

One Too Many
Honey Bee said:
My friend treated me to a "trim" for my birthday. My hair is rather curly/frizzy/rebellious, so I usually have a few layers so when I told her to trim them...well, since it was a hot day, I let it air dry, we went shoping..blah,blah, blah...and when I came home I washed my hair and went to dry it..and that's when I got nervous. This "trim" of my layers was all different and I wondered what to do. One of the blogs I followed showed a tutorial of a long 'middy'...."THAT"S IT!! That's what that woman did to my hair!!" So a blessing in disguise it turned out to be! I like it now that I know what to do with it! lol

So you got a Middy cut without really asking for it, and you like it? How Lucky!
Did you like how it air dried?

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Did you like how it air dried?
Yes, I do. The layers I had were way too long and it pulled down the curls, making it rather frumpy to just leave it airdried.When the humidity comes, there isn't much hope for my hair without putting it up or using alot of product (which makes me cringe).
Now it is a bit lighter and 'pops' up as it dries, which makes me look more like Jimmy Page than anyone else :eek:

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
can anyone recommend a decent and reasonably priced hairdresser in Liverpool? i want a long middy, but i am so nervous about my hair! i had a haircut at Toni and Guy and it was totally uneven - i had to go back TWICE and get the manager to give me a whole new haircut. not impressed.

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
OK, you gals have helped make me think that a Middy is just what I need. I have long hair, about mid back/bra strap length but its a bit dead on the ends. I love long hair on me but I want it healthy. So, Middy here I come! . . . I think :eek: If I get up the guts to cut it all off I will post some before and after pictures. :D

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
So, Middy here I come! . . . I think

My middy takes some time to tame and neaten up so if you don't like to do your hair each day, think before you cut. I have been known to be very
"eh" about my hair so if you are too, and don't mind ponytails, its fine. Otherwise...vintage hairstyles take time to look right, and with frizzy hair, like mine...you better know your hands will be full...unless you like looking like little orphan annie!!!
If your hair is straight...will you want to curl it often?? Then there is product...
I don't mean to sound like a 'killjoy' but I have spent years growing my hair, seeing some picture in a magazine then getting it cut, short or long, and not knowing what to do with it.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Jasmine Jolene said:
can anyone recommend a decent and reasonably priced hairdresser in Liverpool? i want a long middy, but i am so nervous about my hair! i had a haircut at Toni and Guy and it was totally uneven - i had to go back TWICE and get the manager to give me a whole new haircut. not impressed.

Hi Jasmine, It's nice to meet another local on here. I'm actually a Wirralian but i work at the Albert Dock. I'm planning to visit the Granny sallon that is at the end of my street- i figure they should know how to cut a middy there!

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
i am finding that the middy works great to reproduce the 60s hairstyles as well. If I blow dry it staright and curl under it creates a 60s bob look. i tease it at the crown to create a bump and its adorable. so if you are afraid it wont look good straight dont worry. I like mine. only problem is that my mom lives 300 miles away and she is the only one who can cut it just like the ivan anderson book. i had hairdressers in dc tell me - no way. so i get a trim like every 6 months.

wahine

Practically Family
What's wrong?

I had to have my self cut middy corrected and went to my regular hair dresser who usually only does modern hair styles. I gave her some Rita Hayworth pics plus a sketch of a middy from the internet. I wasn't sure if the hair needs layers or not because I found different pictures:

So we decided to give it a few layers. I'm not sure if this is really it.
Ladies, you get such stunning results - why am I not getting close to this?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong? This is basically how I do it:

The result is not really satisfying:
Already tried to set the curls in different directions (all the same or alternating directions and so on) but it doesnt really help.
I notice that it looks better the second day, but still not really what I want.
:( Maybe it's all about the brushing? I got to admit I'm a little frustrated that the results aren't better - inspite of all my effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay