Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Hi Frenchy,

My understanding is that you have to have layers to achieve the best set. Since I had my modified middy (see previous posts on this thread) my hair sets much better even though it was fine before.

Laura

Tatum

Practically Family
Hello everyone,

My hairdresser's coming in a week and I've finally decided to take the plunge and go for a proper 40s-style middy cut. However, I'm a bit confused about layers and I hope someone can help me out in time!

As far as I understand it from reading this thread, a middy is basically a graduated cut going from short and the front to long in the back, and cut in a U-shape. This is basically what I want to go for.

I've been told that for sets to come out really well it's best for hair not to be layered. My hair is layered at the moment, and one big problem I have is that the shorter front and side bits curl up and stick out more, and the longer back and underneath bits just sorta hang there. I'm thinking that this might be due to the layers?

What I'm basically asking, then, is what should I do- is it possible to have a middy cut with no layers? Should I have a few layers? Help!

Frenchy,

Layers are a must. What you DON'T want is razoring or texturing, for a couple of reasons (the curls don't lay right and it is much harder to set).

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Frenchy,

Layers are a must.

Thanks, I'll be sure to tell my hairdresser what you said. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for the problem I described, i.e. that my longer back and underneath bits just sort of hang down obviously (even though they curl fine)? Would a particular kind of layering solve this?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Hi Frenchy,

My understanding is that you have to have layers to achieve the best set. Since I had my modified middy (see previous posts on this thread) my hair sets much better even though it was fine before.

Thanks! Oh yes I saw your pictures, that looks great, I think I might actually show those to my hairdresser if you don't mind, you get a really good view of the sides, back and front. I think your haircut is probably pretty close to what I'm gonna go for, except I think I'll have the fringe cut a bit longer.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Thanks! Oh yes I saw your pictures, that looks great, I think I might actually show those to my hairdresser if you don't mind, you get a really good view of the sides, back and front. I think your haircut is probably pretty close to what I'm gonna go for, except I think I'll have the fringe cut a bit longer.

No problem at all. Good luck!

BoPeep

Practically Family
So just as a follow-up . . . I'm going to assume (from the lack of reply) that no one is setting pincurls in their 4-5 inch middy. And I know why! :D I would advise anyone going short, not to go shorter than a 6 inch cut. That's long enough for pincurls, rollers, VRs and allows for a nice, full curl that's off the neck. I do think it's sort of interesting, though, that so few of us are actually sporting the "official" middy length. But I plan to grow mine back out again. Til then, where's that bandanna. . . .?

Tatum

Practically Family
So just as a follow-up . . . I'm going to assume (from the lack of reply) that no one is setting pincurls in their 4-5 inch middy. And I know why! :D I would advise anyone going short, not to go shorter than a 6 inch cut. That's long enough for pincurls, rollers, VRs and allows for a nice, full curl that's off the neck. I do think it's sort of interesting, though, that so few of us are actually sporting the "official" middy length. But I plan to grow mine back out again. Til then, where's that bandanna. . . .?

Sorry, BoPeep, I didn't see your post. I had a short middy way back when I was growing my hair out (and only stalking the FL, I wasn't a member yet), but I was not good with pincurls to begin with (I still need some practice) so I usually used pillow rollers. Is it that hard to pincurl?

BoPeep

Practically Family
Sorry, BoPeep, I didn't see your post. Is it that hard to pincurl?

No worries, Tatum. It isn't too hard to pincurl at that length, but the curls aren't great. I ended up with too much frizz that I couldn't do much with. I have tried brush rollers and that was better. I think, personally, I just need a longer length to get the look I want. It's all what you get used to! And in a month I'll be back to where I want to be!

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Okay so I read this whole thread and I have some questions.

I had layers when I was very young but never again. I want to get a middy cut so I can pin curl my hair easier and do victory rolls (I loooove victory rolls and can't achieve them with my hair the length it is right now.) I already have a "U" cut right now.

My hair is very thick and curly so I'm hesitant to cut it too short. I'm thinking I'm going to cut it just below my shoulder and have it "U" in back but now I'm thinking maybe I need it cut shorter?

Here is me a few years ago after I cut it to my shoulders (the same length I was going to get now):

shorthairn.jpg

That's the natural curl. Do I still need layers? Would layers help me do victory rolls? How long would the layers be? I'm confused about the layers and the diagrams aren't helping! Thank you, ladies!

Tatum

Practically Family
Do I still need layers? Would layers help me do victory rolls? How long would the layers be? I'm confused about the layers and the diagrams aren't helping! Thank you, ladies!

If I remember correctly, Lolita Haze doesn't have layers and she pulls off everything she tries fabulously. You don't have to have layers to do rolls, but it does seem to make it easier, at least in my experience. I think your plan of having your hair cut in a U shape in the back will help make it look more authentic, so if you are really against getting the layers, don't do it. So what if it isn't an exact period-perfect middy cut? What matters is that you are happy with it.

:)

Rosie Main

New in Town
I was considering getting the middy for a little while. When it came time for the actual cut I got really anxious about having my hair short. Finally I decided it wasn't worth the anxiety and got some general layers (my hair is normally layered), a trim, and a peekaboo bang. Now I just need to perfect the rolls :) I love love love the victory roll style.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I can't decide if I should go for a real middy. I've been feeling extremely blah lately and in need of a change. The thing is my hair is nearly to my waist so I'm understandably very attached to it. I think I would freak it out if it so much as approached my bra band. I also don't always get around to curling it, so it would need to look decent in its naturally limp, straight form. I'm thinking of just getting a few inches taken off and adding more layers and a U-shape, but it seems a little boring and safe of me. Would this be a good idea? Any other suggestions?

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Hi Penny. I have waist length hair too and I have it cut in a what I think is a very long middy. Slight u shape to the back and very long light layers. I have a tiny bit of bangs that are to the end of my nose in length and then the shortest layer starts at about 3" below my chin. I get that Rita Hayworth look when I curl it. I can't have shorter hair, my hair is way too straight and thick for that. It's actually easier to deal with when it's long.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Finally got my hair cut in what I guess is a modified middy, AdrianLvsRocky I showed the hairdresser your picture! :D I really like it, I can't say it made setting my hair miraculously easier but I'm almost certain that it falls better now when it's curled. I'm trying to remind myself that this is only the first time I've set it though, and cause I've now got Bettie bangs I need to use a slightly different setting pattern. But I'm really pleased with it anyway, and thanks to everyone that answered my questions :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I gave myself a modified Middy last night. I'm growing it out from a Louise Brooks bob, so the back doesn't make a strong U shape yet. My hair doesn't take a hot roller set very well, but the Middy has improved this basic hot roller set greatly. I will take more pictures once I do a proper wet set.
5321709534_48e57283da.jpg

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I gave myself a modified Middy last night. I'm growing it out from a Louise Brooks bob, so the back doesn't make a strong U shape yet. My hair doesn't take a hot roller set very well, but the Middy has improved this basic hot roller set greatly. I will take more pictures once I do a proper wet set.
5321709534_48e57283da.jpg

Your hairdo looks good to me as it is, love the wave dipping over your forehead. Have you tried a pincurl set?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany