Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I have curly/wavy hair. I had a generic layered cut, and thanks to post #313 in this thread, I went to the hairdresser's today armed with cosmetology-friendly instructions.
I asked for a 5 or 6 (we went with 5) inch uniform layer cut, with no blending except around the bottom, and horizontal layers.
I went to the hairdresser's with this
IMG_0286-vi.jpg

and came home with this
IMG_0288-vi.jpg

and it fluffed out to this.
IMG_0289-vi.jpg

Yikes! I look like a startled frog!

I think I'll try organizing the curls some as they dry next time. Then I will experiment with pincurls (they should help impose organization).
The horizontal layers made a noticeable difference from the generic cut I usually get.

Looks lovely my dear and your silvery coloring is just gorgeous!

crwritt

One Too Many
I have curly/wavy hair. I had a generic layered cut, and thanks to post #313 in this thread, I went to the hairdresser's today armed with cosmetology-friendly instructions.
I asked for a 5 or 6 (we went with 5) inch uniform layer cut, with no blending except around the bottom, and horizontal layers.

Hi Late to the party! Your hair is very similar in texture to mine. Naturally Curly.com would call it 2c wavy. I'm glad the instructions worked out for you. Last time I had a uniform layer cut I did not know to mention horizontal layers.Next time I will.
Here it is with uniform layers

65095_1191811732482_1744062716_373522_4401053_n.jpg

and here graduated to longer layers in the back.

196242_1310476539028_1744062716_565820_7051863_n.jpg

Yesterday, after a year of growing out my gray hair I gave in to a whim
and colored it with a semipermanent color. I'm on the fence about it.
I like the look but don't want the maintenance, so I'm hoping it rinses out gracefully.

Last edited:

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I was looking for pin curling advice on google and it led me to this website. I saw how easy it was apparently with the middy haircut. So I went and cut it friday, it's nice even when not in any sets. I opted for a longer version and the bangs are not "middy" simply cuz I hacked it off a few months back. Anyway, thanks to here my pin curl set came out wonderfully! I'll post a picture later. Maybe someone else will take the plunge like I did ? :)

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Hi Late to the party! Your hair is very similar in texture to mine. Naturally Curly.com would call it 2c wavy. I'm glad the instructions worked out for you. Last time I had a uniform layer cut I did not know to mention horizontal layers.Next time I will.

The horizontal layers made it look much more square around my head - the hairdresser I went to (I'll confess I just go to one of those $14 dollar places and take my chances with the skills of the assigned person) said she had seen the technique of horizontal layers used at a hair show to reduce the tendency of curly hair to make a bubble head thing (my description) out to the side. I was utterly unable to explain the "cut planar on top or square like a mans cut" directions so we just skipped that part.

Yesterday, after a year of growing out my gray hair I gave in to a whim and colored it with a semipermanent color. I'm on the fence about it.
I like the look but don't want the maintenance, so I'm hoping it rinses out gracefully.

If you like the look enough then the maintenance is worth it!

I colored my hair medium auburn for about 8 years. I finally decided to stop coloring it (to the dismay of my sweetheart (he seems to have recovered from the shock)) and am happy with my multicolored grays.

So. How does your hair behave when pincurled? Have you tried it? Do organized pincurls impose some order?

crwritt

One Too Many
The horizontal layers made it look much more square around my head - the hairdresser I went to (I'll confess I just go to one of those $14 dollar places and take my chances with the skills of the assigned person) said she had seen the technique of horizontal layers used at a hair show to reduce the tendency of curly hair to make a bubble head thing (my description) out to the side. I was utterly unable to explain the "cut planar on top or square like a mans cut" directions so we just skipped that part.

If you like the look enough then the maintenance is worth it!

I colored my hair medium auburn for about 8 years. I finally decided to stop coloring it (to the dismay of my sweetheart (he seems to have recovered from the shock)) and am happy with my multicolored grays.

So. How does your hair behave when pincurled? Have you tried it? Do organized pincurls impose some order?

I haven't sucessfully pincurled my hair. It tends to end up straighter if I do, but I have really good luck scrunching leave in conditioner and gel into my wet hair, combing and arranging, then drying it under a bonnet dryer. Next day I mist it with water and rearrange, brush it a little, add some more gel as needed.

As far as that "planar" part on the top of the head goes, when I went for my last $6 beauty school cut, That is exactly what was done.

Last edited:

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
I haven't sucessfully pincurled my hair. It tends to end up straighter if I do, but I have really good luck scrunching leave in conditioner and gel into my wet hair, combing and arranging, then drying it under a bonnet dryer. Next day I mist it with water and rearrange, brush it a little, add some more gel as needed.

I have pincurled my hair in the past (parts of it for whatever hairdo I was going for). I did not use any kind of setting lotion, just did them on the wet side of damp. They tended to spiral (which was what I wanted) and then to blow out into a giant wad of fluff when combed or otherwise fooled with. I'm interested to see how setting lotion goes. Will pick some up later this week.
Your technique (I use a diffuser on a hand held instead of a bonnet dryer) is pretty much what I do except I skip the combing part (I've already semi-organized my hair fingercombing conditioner through in the shower). The curls will be tighter then in my pics above if I've used the dryer.

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Absolutely unacceptably late but you're very welcome!(Bopeep) and crwritt for mentioning my blog guide post #313, I actually have a link to it back in October when I first did it. Also I'm ecstatic it may have helped some of you.

Last edited:

Isis

One of the Regulars
Allow me to squee a little in anticipation. On Thusday I'm going to get my hair cut at Retroella, a vintage hairdresser in Stockholm. I got my hair cut in a middy in December and though the hairdresser did a good job, he didn't excatly know what a middy was. Now I'm going to get it upgraded by someone who do. This week there is a special, so I will get my hair set at no extra cost.

Even if you don't speak Swedsih, please click on Dam and then on Portfolio for some truly lovely hair-dos. Very inspirational!

crwritt

One Too Many
Absolutely unacceptably late but you're very welcome!(Bopeep) and crwritt for mentioning my blog guide post #313, I actually have a link to it back in October when I first did it. Also I'm ecstatic it may have helped some of you.

Thank you for writing that article,Dmoran.I really didn't know it was yours, since I found it while searching randomly for hairstyles.
I hope you don't mind me sharing it here, and at Naturally Curly, I thought it would help people communicate with their hairdressers. A couple people over there found it helpful too, although they were going curly shag haircuts, the terms
to use and the way to describe layers proved useful.

stardust

New in Town
C-dot, the photos from your tutorial have vanished! Can you repost them?

(FYI, I used to come here under a different name)

Unfortunately it looks like C-Dot has disappeared, she hasn't posted here in a long time and her blog has gone. Unfortunately for us it means we've lost her (very effective) tutorial.

Has anyone here saved a copy perhaps?

Tatum

Practically Family
(FYI, I used to come here under a different name)

Unfortunately it looks like C-Dot has disappeared, she hasn't posted here in a long time and her blog has gone. Unfortunately for us it means we've lost her (very effective) tutorial.

Has anyone here saved a copy perhaps?

Fortunately, KittyT resurrected it for us a while ago. Here is a link!

rue

Well it depends what curling method you use. I had my hair cut right to my shoulders and when I use sponge rollers with dry hair and hairspray and it comes about two inches above my shoulders after being brushed out, but if I use hot-sticks then it will end up chin length or a bit shorter.

D

Deleted member 12480

Hello gals, I'm stuck. I desperately need a haircut, the split ends are appearing and my curls don't ever come out right. they flick and don't curl properly. What I want is to keep it relatively long and not have curls flicking up to my temples, (my hair is naturally curly so the pincurls work VERY well with layers, haha) but i need more layers put in because it won't curl properly. any ideas what i should do? xxx

ktrex

New in Town
Okay, I got tired of not being able to curl the back of my hair because of its length and lack of layers, so I brought my hairstylist aunt a long middy diagram. She didn't really understand it (thought that I wanted parts of my hair 1 1/2 inch long), but then again, I've had lots of problems before with her not really understanding what I want. She's sort of stuck in the 90s with her hairstyles. Either way, I got it shorter, more layers, with the layers a little longer than I think the diagram says, so it looks more modern. She started razoring before I could say anything, so there's some of that, too. I've got some before/after styling pics for you, though. Sorry the before are pretty awful, they were taken on my webcam in bad light. I'll try to post more before styling pics so you can see the haircut.

AfvcXVMq.jpg

AfscJWxG.jpg

and styled:
224718_1739704259985_1460010075_31484553_4288898_n.jpg

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Okay, I got tired of not being able to curl the back of my hair because of its length and lack of layers, so I brought my hairstylist aunt a long middy diagram. She didn't really understand it (thought that I wanted parts of my hair 1 1/2 inch long), but then again, I've had lots of problems before with her not really understanding what I want. She's sort of stuck in the 90s with her hairstyles. Either way, I got it shorter, more layers, with the layers a little longer than I think the diagram says, so it looks more modern. She started razoring before I could say anything, so there's some of that, too. I've got some before/after styling pics for you, though. Sorry the before are pretty awful, they were taken on my webcam in bad light. I'll try to post more before styling pics so you can see the haircut.

AfvcXVMq.jpg

AfscJWxG.jpg

and styled:
224718_1739704259985_1460010075_31484553_4288898_n.jpg

Looks just lovely in a set. Very soft and summery! And your hair
color looks gorgeous on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot