Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mint Julep

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I went to the Derby one year and decided that I'd buy a mint julep so that I could get the collectible Derby glass that came with it. I'm not a bourbon drinker so the first sip of the Julep was absolutely dreadful. By the time I finished drinking the darn thing I'd decided that it wasn't so bad after all so why not get a matching pair of glasses. Needless to say I ended up buying 4 or 5 mint juleps and I was totally smashed. I had to give away 3 of my "free" glasses because I couldn't carry them and hold onto walls at the same time.lol Since then I only put mint in ice tea (a wonderful drink, by the way).

1930_Italian

New in Town
NicknNora said:
I went to the Derby one year and decided that I'd buy a mint julep so that I could get the collectible Derby glass that came with it. I'm not a bourbon drinker so the first sip of the Julep was absolutely dreadful. By the time I finished drinking the darn thing I'd decided that it wasn't so bad after all so why not get a matching pair of glasses. Needless to say I ended up buying 4 or 5 mint juleps and I was totally smashed. I had to give away 3 of my "free" glasses because I couldn't carry them and hold onto walls at the same time.lol Since then I only put mint in ice tea (a wonderful drink, by the way).

My Mothers side of the family is from Ky, and everytime I go to Churchill.....well, I know that feeling....I have a collection of Derby glasses....and very foggy memories of the races. :eusa_doh:

Hemerlin

New in Town
I discovered the Mint Julep too late this year :(

It's already getting colder; no more blue sky but a grey mass of clouds.
I am bit torn because I finally can start wearing my tweeds again, but I still hope for some warm and sunny days to enjoy a Mint Julep in a linen suit - like nature intended ;)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Lone_Ranger said:
Love, the Julep. But, with the fall chill in the air. My thoughts turn to Glühwein!

We're having a late burst of sunshine and warm weather in the UK so it's still a plausible drink to enjoy the garden.

As it get colder though, I too will enjoy wearing some my favourite suit which are a bit thicker.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I know the the proper venue for the Julep is at the races, in your linen suit. But as many have mentioned that tweeds are coming and there is a coolness coming in the air.....

Where the tweeds, skip the ice, mint, sugar, and silver cup. Just a nice pour of Bourbon in a cut crystal glass. The warmth and the character of the bourboun deliting your tastebuds. Ah... I love fall!

CH

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had friends years ago (the 70's actually) who had a family tradition of throwing a BIG Derby Day party. Great times. I became very adept at Julep making at that time, and still enjoy them a lot. It's a powerful drink, properly made, so make sure you're either sitting down, or are near a chair. The first sip or two may make your hair stand on end, but by the time it's half gone, you should be paralytic. By the second one you should be EXTREMELY jolly. We won't talk about the third.
One interesting thing I learned from a good pal who grew up in Louisville: A proper Julep is not made with spearmint (which I normally use) but Virginia Mountain Mint. Virginia Mountain Mint is not really a member of the mint family, but a larger leafed plant, that doesn't grow further north than Virginia, so it's very hard to come by. But it has a subtly different flavor from spearmint, which adds a certain je ne sais quoi to your Julep.
Another pointer: At the Derby and most bars, you'll get crushed ice in your drink. What you should use is a glass (or silver goblet) that's been in the freezer a while. You put your mint syrup in the bottom, or mull a few leaves, fill the glass with CRACKED ice (much colder than crushed) and put in a shot of Bourbon. (I actually prefer sour mash whisky, like Dickel or a dryer Bourbon, like J W Dant.) Then top it off with more ice, and another shot. Then add your sprig of greenery.
Aside from going good with linen suits, they go extremely well with verandahs and rocking chairs.
Yes, hand me a Julep there, son. I need a little refreshment.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Memnon said:
This youtube video really got me interested in juleps. Watch it to the end-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8

Exactly the same as me.

BinkieBaumont said:
"Mint Juleps always remind me of that drink the Dental nurse gives you to rinse and spit! with , in a similar vain my sister, last Christmas made a Cocktail with, Champers and Malibu, it tasted not unlike KMS Shampoo, but then I like having my hair done!"

Sounds like you've been making it wrong Binks. :) But was the champers and malibu any good for your gorgeous locks?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
"is it still rather sick making?"
You should only put enough sugar to take the edge off the whisky. If you mull the mint leaves inthe bottom of your glass, use only pwdered sugar. If you make a batch of syrup, you can use granular sugar. But make it with as much mint and as little sugar as you can. If you get sick, you've just drunk too much to quick. Sip slowly, relax, enjoy.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I love mint juleps!!!!

My family started a tradition a few years ago of going to the Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg, KY for Thanksgiving. They put on an unbelievable spread for Thanksgiving in a phenomenal setting.

Anyway, at the bar I HAD to have a mint julep; we were in Kentucky afterall. So they made is with Woodford Reserve bourbon, which is local. It was GGOOOOODD!!! I had to have a couple extra...

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner