Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most cliche noir?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Can you name the noir movie (good or Z-grade) most fullfilled with all cliches related to the genre? Private eyes, femme fatales, expressionist photography dark streets and so on?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The Big Sleep; Gilda; Out of the Past; The Reckless Moment; In a Lonely Place; Pickup on South Street; Kiss Me Deadly;Touch of Evil.

Touch of Evil has just about every cliche: Despair, paranoia, and nihilism; an atmosphere of claustrophobic entrapment; a nightmarish sense of loneliness and alienation; a purposelessness fostered in part by feelings of estrangement from one's own past even as one seems to driven to a compulsive confrontation with that past.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Big Sleep...

... has just about every cliche:
an atmosphere of claustrophobic entrapment....

Dorothy Malone locking the book shop door and rolling down the window shade. Opens a desk drawer.
Two cups, pours.

Dorothy Malone, a bottle of whiskey, locked inside a book shop.

For a repressed strict Irish Catholic studious nerd bookworm voracious reader,
it can never ever get any better this side of Heaven.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Dorothy Malone, a bottle of whiskey, locked inside a book shop.
For a repressed strict Irish Catholic studious nerd bookworm voracious reader,
it can never ever get any better this side of Heaven.
At thine next confession, thou shalt unburden thy guilt, thou shalt confess of thy fantasy and thou shalt probably have thine priest in need of confession.
malone.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
At thine next confession, thou shalt unburden thy guilt, thou shalt confess of thy fantasy and thou shalt probably have thine priest in need of confession.

'Non pudet patrem, ego nunc stragulum Domini induo.'

First thing I learned in law school-know the facts of the case; and the applicable rule(s) of law.
And inchoate impurity of thought within the Sixth Commandment is subject to theologic contest,
while the quote above is available if a particlar Franciscan curmudgeon friar brays like a donkey
through the screen at St Peter's Church here in the Chicago loop.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm