Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most horrible remake ever to be made

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
BTW, I've been getting emails from the Sons of the Desert, and if Iever get it together to join, I'll be attending their meetings at the magnificent Players' Club down on Gramercy Park. Great group.

This sounds great!

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
So Stan always got two paychecks, while Ollie got one, and everyone thought this was thoroughly fair.

I thought I recalled reading something different, that Ollie was on an equal footing despite Stan being the creative genius? I may well be wrong there, though. I do know that Stan was incredibly loyal to his partner, resisting many offers to go solo.

I watched a lot of the originals when I was about six and BBC2 repeated them regularly. I used to love the ones where they played their own kids; also remember laughing like a drain at the one where the finale involved Ollie pulling the plug out of Stan's bath, the latter then disappearing down the plug hole. "He's gone to the beach." lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
I thought I recalled reading something different, that Ollie was on an equal footing despite Stan being the creative genius
I've heard and read that Ollie had no qualms about Stan's bigger check because the moment filming stopped for the day he raced off to play his beloved golf leaving Stan to busy himself writing and producing the act.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Since you seem to be using the word remake loosely to include a revival of characters in a new plot context, I would say that Quantum of Solace was stupider than the Laural and Hardy thing, and not as funny, except when Daniel Craig pouts, which always brings a smile because it reminds me of Zoolander.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I didn't realise the Steve Martin "Cheaper by the Dozen" (hate this film) was a re-make, until I actually caught the original at a matinee. The original was wonderful! The re-make had entirely lost the point of the story, cheapened the comedy and was generally naf naf naf, one of the worst re-makes ever......

Until this one came along :confused:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it seemed a little 'off', but I thought the characterizations were accurate, and the situation might be something theyd have been involved in. The 3D is 'required' in today's ever-advancing technology.

Their humor was relatively new during the history of film, and was quality and unique for their time, and perhaps doesnt translate well for 2010. And that may be the reason that this film doesnt do well.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
I have to add another to this list:
Sonnenfeld's 1999 remake of Wild, Wild West starring Klien & Smith. An absolute stinkeroo!
West is played by Smith (suspend all historical accuracy!) :rolleyes:
Klien as Gordon? ugh!
The movie garnered no less than 5 "Dis-Honors" at the 1999 Razzies including "Worst Picture of the Year".

Are they all so sorely bankrupt of fresh material that the best they can come up with is remakes of 1960's television programs and cartoons? (Marmaduke on the big screen? PLEEEEEEEASE!)
:mad:

Hondo

One Too Many
I couldn't believe it until I saw the clip :rage:
Slapstick does not work!!! Not these days.
Dick Van Dyke was good in the 1960s as Stan Laurel.
What has become of Hollywood and USA talent,
Scripts, writers and all?...

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
ClassicMan1966 said:
Psycho (1998). I've seen school plays with better performances than this rehash of a classic film.

I was going to suggest this one too.
The worst 105 minutes I've ever invested into anything.
I'd LOVE to see Mr. Plinkett review this stinker.

Also, I was pretty disappointed in the Manchurian Candidate remake.

ClassicMan1966

New in Town
Ed Bass said:

Are they all so sorely bankrupt of fresh material that the best they can come up with is remakes of 1960's television programs and cartoons? (Marmaduke on the big screen? PLEEEEEEEASE!)
:mad:

For a city in sunny California, there's certainly nothing new under the sun from over there.

Kent Allard

New in Town
I agree that all the remakes mentioned above are awful but no one has mentioned the film I consider to be the absolute nadir of remakes. I refer to the 1973 musical remake of Lost Horizon. A film that gives me nightmares just knowing it exists.

The original Lost Horizon was one of those movies I caught while staying home sick from school. (The side effect of being a sickly kid was becoming a film fanatic. Whatever was playing on the afternoon movie on WUAB was the only entertainment I had. Here endeth the sidebar). One night while I was staying up late I saw in TV Guide that Lost Horizon was on again. I turned the channel and caught a faceful of 70's cheese that nearly incapacitated me.

Hondo

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Obviously you never watch NCIS...

That right! I don't! lol
Did you catch "Get Smart" remake?
couldn't even watch the whole thing. :rage:
I like actors but the whole films stunk bad, I mean horrible,
If you remember Don Adams, Barbara Feldon, I loved the series.

Edward

Bartender
Obviously, it's very difficult to credibly have someone playing another actor playing a part. The one time I've seen it done masterfully was Kenny Brannagh in Celebrity: Woody Allen had written the lead role for himself, then decided he was too old for the part. What we got was Kenneth Brannagh playing not the character per se, but Woody Allen. And it was the most incredibly accurate impersonation of anyone I think I may ever have seen.... This pair, well... Okay, aside from the fact that it's a bad idea, they aren't bad impressions of Stan and Ollie, and the general plot, slapstick nature of the humour, etc is well within the remit. What really jars for me, though, is the modern setting.... Where Stan and Ollie were very much of their own time, here the characters of Stan and Ollie look ridiculous, out of place, anachronistic..... just doesn't work. The only way they could have maybe pulled it off would have been had they gone the route of the Brady Bunch Movie and made the very fact of their being out-of-time a core part of the set-up. But this..... well, if the trailer is anything to go by, it's worse than Blues Brothers 2000.

Feraud

Bartender
Slapstick can work today if done right.
One film that immediately comes to mind is Dumb & Dumber with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.
The Farrelly brothers oeuvre is full of slapstick humor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran